• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Durante

Finished DLC3, that was amazing. My favourite of the 3.
(Of course, keep in mind that I have a predilection for coop)

The optional boss was seriously hard at least on NG++.

ElTopo

Banned

The constant horses and red phantoms are a bitch. You can run to the boss door but those horses will chase your ass down there.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So the game lost connection to Steam today and promptly pushed me out of the game because "DLC Item not found, exiting to main menu". Weird. I've played the DLC just fine during internet downtime before :(

I gave up on the optional area on ng++. Just wasn't feeling it for a duo of the same thing alr3afy fought.

Btw, have you still been collecting Farfire data on the game. Just curious how the trends have looked across the platfroms.

So what the hell. I've got the wharf boss battle, old dragonslayer and the pursuer ahead of me. Where should I go first? Also, Ef the Pursuer's borked hit detection with that shield attack. And I got "cursed" by him but didn't notice anything like DS1's cursed. What's this all about?

chunk3rvd

So what the hell. I've got the wharf boss battle, old dragonslayer and the pursuer ahead of me. Where should I go first? Also, Ef the Pursuer's borked hit detection with that shield attack. And I got "cursed" by him but didn't notice anything like DS1's cursed. What's this all about?

Cursed in this game just makes you hollow and reduces your max HP. It's like dying without the death. Much less harsh than in DS1

Currently power stancing a Dark BSK+10 in my left hand and a normal BSK+10 in my right hand. Before boss fights I buff the left hand with Dark Weapon. Would I be better off with a Fume Sword/Dark Fume Sword in that left hand? The BSK doesn't seem to get much of a buff from Dark Weapon or the Dark Clutch Ring so I'm thinking the dark scaling must not be that great on it? Don't want to waste a bunch of dragon bones on it though if it isn't much of an improvement. Stats are 22 STR, 40 DEX, 40 FAI and 40 INT

Ruuppa

Curse is basically the same as death, without losing souls and getting ported to the bonfire, so it just lowers your maxHP.

You could also go for the Skeleton Lords, by heading towards Heide from Majula without warping and talking to the new NPC on the way in the circular room.
Currently power stancing a Dark BSK+10 in my left hand and a normal BSK+10 in my right hand. Before boss fights I buff the left hand with Dark Weapon. Would I be better off with a Fume Sword/Dark Fume Sword in that left hand? The BSK doesn't seem to get much of a buff from Dark Weapon or the Dark Clutch Ring so I'm thinking the dark scaling must not be that great on it? Don't want to waste a bunch of dragon bones on it though if it isn't much of an improvement. Stats are 22 STR, 40 DEX, 40 FAI and 40 INT

Fume Sword is pretty excellent for Hexers, and has a really good moveset and reach. Putting Dragon Bones into is is definitely not a mistake.

Curse is basically the same as death, without losing souls and getting ported to the bonfire, so it just lowers your maxHP.

You could also go for the Skeleton Lords, by heading towards Heide from Majula without warping and talking to the new NPC on the way in the circular room.
New NPC?. I'll have to check that out. But which way should I go first as far as difficulty? I'm getting mauled more than I ever had with DS1, mainly because of my stamina and the hit detection. It's a bit frustrating because I'm sure I'll solve the stamina issue with some leveling but I don't always have the will to backtrack to the nearest bonfire to warp and level up, warp back and trod through the same waves of enemies before tackling the problem area.
Edit: and then of course running out of enemies and therefore capping my ability to gain souls to level up and improve my stats. Smh.

Ruuppa

New NPC?. I'll have to check that out. But which way should I go first as far as difficulty? I'm getting mauled more than I ever had with DS1, mainly because of my stamina and the hit detection. It's a bit frustrating because I'm sure I'll solve the stamina issue with some leveling but I don't always have the will to backtrack to the nearest bonfire to warp and level up, warp back and trod through the same waves of enemies before tackling the problem area.
Edit: and then of course running out of enemies and therefore capping my ability to gain souls to level up and improve my stats. Smh.

You can solve some of the hit-detection issues by leveling Adaptability until you have 95/100/105 Agility. IIRC 90 Agility is DkS1 mediumroll, and 100 Agility is fastroll.

I think the easiest areas would be through the new NPC or the Wharf. The Wharf leads to the same area that opens up after the Pursuer.
If you didn't find the way after the Pursuer, check the bird's nest after his boss-arena. That place is moderately tough.

Mistel

Banned
With those stats a fume sword will get you an AR of 362. The dark black steel gets a buff although a rather small one. You might want to get the roaring halberd it's a DEX orientated naturally dark weapon stronger than the fume sword give you more range too.

chunk3rvd

With those stats a fume sword will get you an AR of 362. The dark black steel gets a buff although a rather small one. You might want to get the roaring halberd it's a DEX orientated naturally dark weapon stronger than the fume sword give you more range too.

Hmm. I'd need another 2 points in STR to be able to power stance the Roaring Halberd. Will it pair with the BSK? The wikidot seems to indicate that Katanas and Halberds go together but wasn't sure if the Roaring Halberd had any special properties with it being a boss soul weapon. I have 56 dragon bones so I think I can spare a few!

Ruuppa

Hmm. I'd need another 2 points in STR to be able to power stance the Roaring Halberd. Will it pair with the BSK? The wikidot seems to indicate that Katanas and Halberds go together but wasn't sure if the Roaring Halberd had any special properties with it being a boss soul weapon. I have 56 dragon bones so I think I can spare a few!

It will not pair with Katanas.

Edit: Wait what? Katanas go together with Halberds? Good god, what?
Edit2: According to Wikidot, Katanas and Halberds do not go together. But a Halberd held in the right hand will go with Curved Swords, Halberds, Reapers, Twin blades and Ultra greatswords. Source.

Mistel

Banned
Yes it will do not exempt from power stance.

You can solve some of the hit-detection issues by leveling Adaptability until you have 95/100/105 Agility. IIRC 90 Agility is DkS1 mediumroll, and 100 Agility is fastroll.

I think the easiest areas would be through the new NPC or the Wharf. The Wharf leads to the same area that opens up after the Pursuer.
If you didn't find the way after the Pursuer, check the bird's nest after his boss-arena. That place is moderately tough.
Thank you. The conundrum is that the long armed, flame fearing monsters kick my ass because of their reach and my limited roll and the game's hit boxes. So the wharf has been unfriendly to me. Maybe I need a new weapon but the more I play and die, the enemies stop spawning and I lose out on currency. I really hate that system. Sure, it thwarts abuse but it doesn't factor in moderate players who relied on learning the game through dealing with the tougher baddies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is it just me, or you can't use Brightbugs while in coop, I mean, even as a host?

Edit: yup, tested it, as soon as I summoned my friend the icon got greyed out. Heh.

So what does everyone think about the new stats (VGR, ADP) in comparison to the first dark souls or even demons?

The lack of agility early on really discouraged me from using rolls (opting for shields instead) early on and really halted my enjoyment because enemies would hit right through my rolls.

I personally think it's a step backwards but I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Arjen

So what does everyone think about the new stats (VGR, ADP) in comparison to the first dark souls or even demons?

The lack of agility early on really discouraged me from using rolls (opting for shields instead) early on and really halted my enjoyment because enemies would hit right through my rolls.

I hate it, i love to use roling, and it sucks that it needs a heavy stat investment now.

I hate it, i love to use roling, and it sucks that it needs a heavy stat investment now.

Yeah, the agility stat was a poor design move. I can understand wanting to have some sort of trade off with the dodge/rolling in the game, but that was already solve with equip load burden and the distance/speed of the rolls. No need to add in another convoluted and less obvious stat that effects i-frames. This should have been left like Dark Souls 1.

Is it just me, or you can't use Brightbugs while in coop, I mean, even as a host?

Edit: yup, tested it, as soon as I summoned my friend the icon got greyed out. Heh.

Makes sense, Coop is already game breaking, no need to make it even easier. I think it's a reasonable trade off. If you know what you are doing, it will let you rip through any boss solo.

Ruuppa

I'm not sure about this, but you might be able to activate the Brightbug and then summon someone and keep the effect. It would be a silly oversight if it works, but if it does.. Well, the game is broken anyway.

Mistel

Banned
Thank you. The conundrum is that the long armed, flame fearing monsters kick my ass because of their reach and my limited roll and the game's hit boxes. So the wharf has been unfriendly to me. Maybe I need a new weapon but the more I play and die, the enemies stop spawning and I lose out on currency. I really hate that system. Sure, it thwarts abuse but it doesn't factor in moderate players who relied on learning the game through dealing with the tougher baddies.
You won't ever see those enemies again unless you ascetic the wharf, a new weapon might be easier for you to get the hang of.

Sucks. Other than soul memory and wonky hitboxes/detection and ridiculous enemy tracking it's probably the biggest mis-step of the game.

I always start as an Explorer just because it starts with the highest ADP. I feel like a lot of the changes they made in DS2 were an attempt at making the game more difficult for experienced Souls players, but they just went about it completely the wrong way, changing the base experience for the worse.

Sucks. Other than soul memory and wonky hitboxes/detection and ridiculous enemy tracking it's probably the biggest mis-step of the game.

I always start as an Explorer just because it starts with the highest ADP. I feel like a lot of the changes they made in DS2 were an attempt at making the game more difficult for experienced Souls players, but they just went about it completely the wrong way, changing the base experience for the worse.

I feel like the bolded is really the main problem with this game.
Dark and Demon's felt like they were hard but fair, whereas this game really feels unfair at times.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Makes sense, Coop is already game breaking, no need to make it even easier. I think it's a reasonable trade off. If you know what you are doing, it will let you rip through any boss solo.
For the most part, yes, I completely agree. For NG+ DLC bosses, not so much. Must have retried the stupid kittens like 12 times. >_<

I think I've said this before even though not many people agree with me:

I'm totally okay with roll animations being tied to ADP, the same goes for the speed to make some actions (healing,etc). If experienced Souls players want to keep playing in the same way they used to now they have to invest some souls on ADP, that means they cannot use those souls to improve their strength, dexterity, faith, intelligence, etc., which make them very dangerous for new players during invasions; both new players and experienced ones had to learn what stats gave them more benefits, and that's a good thing imo.

I know all the changes lead to the apparition of new issues but that didn't stop my enjoyment of the game in general. Many people may consider my arguments totally flawed but that's the way I feel and pointing out the negative points of the game won't change it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Tying roll speed to agility might have been a good idea, but that's not even what they did; they tied the number of invincibility frames to it. That was a terrible idea, and I'm sure it partially explains the wonky hitboxes we see every now and then.

I think agility could be a worthwhile stat to use in future games, just not in the way they've done it in Dark Souls 2.

Tying roll speed to agility might have been a good idea, but that's not even what they did; they tied the number of invincibility frames to it. That was a terrible idea, and I'm sure it partially explains the wonky hitboxes we see every now and then.

I think agility could be a worthwhile stat to use in future games, just not in the way they've done it in Dark Souls 2.

And I'm totally okay with that too. Want more i frames?, then you have to invest in ADP, ok, now you have more i-frames but you could've used your souls for rising your strength. You gained something but you lost something, It totally works that way with low SL characters imo.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
And I'm totally okay with that too. Want more i frames?, then you have to invest in ADP, ok, now you have more i-frames but you could've used your souls for rising your strength. You gained something but you lost something, It totally works that way with low SL characters imo.
Nah, it's not good design. The exact same animation, and in one case you take damage and in another case you don't, because of stats? This works in a turn-based RPG, not an action-RPG. If agility improved the actual speed and/or distance of the roll, I'd be okay with it. But tying this to i-frames is just shitty all around. Especially considering it's almost impossible to notice this when playing more or less casually, you pretty much need a wiki (written by someone who did extensive testing and recording frames and whatnot). It's stupid.

It might do in some situations but a majority of them are enemy related instead of being caught outside of I frames.
Well, yes, but as I said, when the exact same dodge timing from two different characters, one with 85 agility and one with 100, don't have the same result, it's just stupid. If one actually rolled slower, less far, or had a slower recovery, it'd be a different thing.

But yes, I know that even at 115 agility, there's gonna be some wonky hitboxes regardless. Trust me, I really do know. xD Nothing worse than perfectly dodging sideways only to get vacuumed back into Pursuer's sword/Alonne's sword/tiger's mouth because reasons. AKA this:
GrossGaseousAntarcticgiantpetrel.gif

NEO0MJ

But yes, I know that even at 115 agility, there's gonna be some wonky hitboxes regardless. Trust me, I really do know. xD Nothing worse than perfectly dodging sideways only to get vacuumed back into Pursuer's sword/Alonne's sword/tiger's mouth because reasons. AKA this:

It's strange, I never once ran into this with any of the above bosses.

ilium

Gotta say, the sacred chime hammer has really grown on me in PvP the last days. It's a bit tricky to hit with but when it does.. Oh boy.
Using a longsword in my offhand for faster attacks and i'm winning a lot in the arena.

I also noticed many ice rapiers in PvP, is it the new flavor of the month weapon or something?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I didn't either, at first. But I have 6 characters, and after having fought them so many times (some in NG+ too), you'll start noticing these things.

Here are more examples:
iVXzI0EtCoSSi.gif

q4xC2Ep.gif

ThriftyRightAmericanriverotter.gif

MasculineSaltyEeve.gif

And of course, the classic:
tumblr_n5ccnzhvTv1ro156wo2_r1_400.gif

Mistel

Banned
Well, yes, but as I said, when the exact same dodge timing from two different characters, one with 85 agility and one with 100, don't have the same result, it's just stupid. If one actually rolled slower, less far, or had a slower recovery, it'd be a different thing.
I don't think it's stupid that the one with more I frames has a different result that with 4 less of them. It's just very poorly conveyed that its such a major thing it does that's very iffy on the explanation front in game.
It depends a lot on how you play but there's some like the mimic grabbing you from behind it you can do regardless of playstyle.

Ruuppa

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the mimic. I think that was intentional, though.

Intentional, could be. Idiotic for sure. Playing through DkS1 now I'm amazed at how accurate the hitboxes are in that game. Not even in terms of rolling and iframes, but generally when running about.

No commandgrabs that suck you into it after you've clearly evaded it, no "shockwaves" from flattening attacks.. Even the PVP hitboxes are better, with less phantom hits and BS like that.

f1ojpGe.gif

Good times..

Don't forget about the enemy attacks that are allowed to clip through walls even when it's a weapon a player could never do that with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JEJrXGEf0g

Or through the floor...

For the most part, yes, I completely agree. For NG+ DLC bosses, not so much. Must have retried the stupid kittens like 12 times. >_<

I find co-op to make all bosses easier(with the exception of Ancient Dragon), for me anyways. With some other guy taking hits I have a chance to heal.

Should I do no death/no bonfire on ng or ng+?

For no death I'd say do it in NG due to the fact that many bosses
decide to summon help into the fight making it a 3v1 fight.

No bonfire I'd say do it in NG+ because a no death run would be a tad easier if you could use bonfires.

NEO0MJ

I just noticed today that the Gank Squad's music in the Sunken King DLC is fucking awesome.

No commandgrabs that suck you into it after you've clearly evaded it, no "shockwaves" from flattening attacks.. Even the PVP hitboxes are better, with less phantom hits and BS like that.

f1ojpGe.gif

Good times..

This Gif gets thrown around a lot but I wonder if the player was actually hit or not.

Getting really sick of the Twin Tigers (or maybe just the run to them) on NG+.

What's the cheesiest way to kill them? Hexes? Summons makes it much worse, since the second tiger will enter the fight much earlier.

Top Bottom