• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Well here it is, 1000 hosts defeated as a red invader:

thorns2_by_realghostvids-d8ix3jh.jpg

I had forgotten that that was the condition for unlocking that ring. A nice surprise even though I doubt I'll ever use it.

Tactics18

I also can't figure out how to light fires.

You need a source of fire to light a torch (If you want to figure it out by yourself don't read the following).
- You can light it with a bonfire, just press Y/Triangle/whatever button it is to toggle on PC and then a prompt will show
- If you see an already lit scone just come closer and a prompt will show
- There's an item called Flame Butterfly which allows you to light one on the go. Check your inventory, you probably have one or two

Mistel

Banned
Oh man, that sounds sweet! Is that viable in DSII? I've played DeS and DS and dont think it worked that well in those games iirc.
In this game that's a entire branch of the combat mechanics via power stance. You just basically either have two weapons that you single hand, or powerstance them with 1.5 X the requirements for a more effective moveset using both weapons.

Speevy

Banned
Forbidden sun has 3 casts at max with 94 ATT you're going to need rather large amounts of spell replenishment items so unless you farm for wilted dusk herbs, crimson water, rouge water and/or just buy infinite amber herbs after killing nashandra.

To have at least some prep you'r going to probably do it in NG+. Even excluding the dlc bosses you're going to hit a couple of road blocks due to very high fire resistance for some of the bosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPU4_vMbxg4

I got two casts from Northern Ritual Band alone.

2AdEPT

Hey guy's question. Currently doing a SL1 Deprived run for testing, and got to Iron Keep to loot the place and my question is...did they nerf the water pot roll effect as you drop onto the lava walkways for the chests?

At first I thought meh I'll just roll in the water then drop down and casually get my chest loot and stroll back no problems. Then I died within seconds, then I tried in conjunction with Flash Sweat and the ATN Ring...still died. Then finally barely grabed the loot before dying using Flame Quartz+1/Small Orange Burr/Flash Sweat AND water... WTF

I use to be able to simply roll in some water and literally walk to the chest and back barely losing any health, even just stand there and taunt. :\ Lame if they nerfed that.

Edit: Oh yeah, SL1 Naked using a Magic Mace +8 no damage/no healing run Smelter Demon. Recorded! ;) And, finally got my last 14 Awestones for Vanquisher's Seal...would have been way better if you could just need 20 simply by using skilled play and by not dying or taking hits thus jacking up the % for Awestones to drop from any enemy, which could easily be done in about a hour in FoFFG...

It may not have been nerfed...you easily can miss the water effect if you break the pots inthe wrong way and the water does not fully splash on your body...if you have 800-900 fire defense it should give you ample time...if not, it was nerfed.

thats awesome re: smelter, I have no idea how you did it with the fire drain at least taking off a couple HP off me..you must have kept your distance well, which sounds tough with a mace. looking forward to watching that!

re:vanquisher seal...yeah obviously trying to do the awestones legit would take too long...still this method can get you started at the start of the game and you only have to kill Rotten and Rat authority with Heide knight +4.

Were you using it before or after they buffed its durability to 150 in one of the later patches?
before for sure.

Costa

Neo Member
I just transferred my Diablo 3 character from Xbox 360 to Xbox 1. You better be able to do the same in dark souls 2 import your Xbox 360 character to the Xbox 1 version, it's a simple process and people shouldn't support them if they don't allow this, it's been done before in other games so no one should make any excuses for this if they don't allow it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It may not have been nerfed...you easily can miss the water effect if you break the pots inthe wrong way and the water does not fully splash on your body...if you have 800-900 fire defense it should give you ample time...if not, it was nerfed.

thats awesome re: smelter, I have no idea how you did it with the fire drain at least taking off a couple HP off me..you must have kept your distance well, which sounds tough with a mace. looking forward to watching that!

re:vanquisher seal...yeah obviously trying to do the awestones legit would take too long...still this method can get you started at the start of the game and you only have to kill Rotten and Rat authority with Heide knight +4.

before for sure.

watching stuff like that vanquishers seal video just make me so glad I play on PC. I never wanna have to deal with something like that. I'd much rather just cheat engine 50 awestones into my inventory than grind for hours against the same enemy.

I just transferred my Diablo 3 character from Xbox 360 to Xbox 1. You better be able to do the same in dark souls 2 import your Xbox 360 character to the Xbox 1 version, it's a simple process and people shouldn't support them if they don't allow this, it's been done before in other games so no one should make any excuses for this if they don't allow it.

The reason they aren't doing that isn't because it's impossible or infeasible, it's because the layouts of enemies in all of the locations are totally different and they don't want people playing the new version with their old characters.

2AdEPT

watching stuff like that vanquishers seal video just make me so glad I play on PC. I never wanna have to deal with something like that. I'd much rather just cheat engine 50 awestones into my inventory than grind for hours against the same enemy.

hahaha..I am a noob PCer for sure, and the extent of my repetoire so far is a simple save editor (which is something I can never do without) but honestly this strat only took me a few hours total...admittdely it was more fun for me as I didnt know it would be possible for an average player like me to be able to beat stuff and speed run at low level through the DLC. Perhaps its not so for everyone, but for me the draw of souls and the open world they provide is to break sequence as much as possible. So therein lied a challenge that would be lost uisng the help engine...and this was done before the new content so a discalimer that I have no idea if it is as easy with the new content.... BUt it took under a minute to kill Rhoy each time as once the strat was routine he fell off rather quickly...and it made no difference what NG we were on...he falls off just as easily no matter how much damage is involved....I didint time it, but to go from 0 to 49 stones likely took less than an hour. I did Vagetas version originally and kudos to him for being pretty quick on th draw with this stuff, but it was great when the DLC provided a way to start the game from scratch and then run the table with Seal...I guess they could have been targeting NG+ for Vanquisher Seal runners, but this just wasnt as easy with the way the covenant was structured, and further evidence that FROM does not cater to low level challenge runners etc. as much as they could. The no death and bonfire runs were excellent improvements...but they still have untapped the low level challenge run market and need to better structure the character development section if they want to get more people doing difffernt challenge runs particularly at low level.

Costa

Neo Member
I want to play with my old character I invested the 200 plus hrs to get the build I like and if Diablo can do it then dark souls 2 should have the option if not then I will not buy it

2AdEPT

I want to play with my old character I invested the 200 plus hrs to get the build I like and if Diablo can do it then dark souls 2 should have the option if not then I will not buy it

If you are on PC, game save manager saved all my Dark souls characters and progress even though I screwed up the steam port process and temporarily lost everything. I wasnt sure the saves I intially saved using GFWL would work on the new steam system but htey did.

I dunno, if your characters are on console there isnt much to be done but as a noob PCer I strongly recommend people giving PC a shot, especially for souls....it truly is the definitive way to play souls stuff.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Yo, you already said that...

It's so sad to hear a strike connect, and do no damage at all :(

Hit a guy 5 times in a duel and did no damage, totally thought he was hacking!

Are duels based on SL and SM? I kept matching with someone the same level, but he's twice my SM!

MG310

Had some fun duels in Belfry Luna and on the Iron Keep Bridge. Had decent luck with the poison Bandit's Knife +10 and occasionally swapping over to Large or Great Club.

ArynCrinn

Banned

The reason they aren't doing that isn't because it's impossible or infeasible, it's because the layouts of enemies in all of the locations are totally different and they don't want people playing the new version with their old characters.

Yeah, I could have easily cheated the 50 Awestones, and 40 Loyce Souls for that matter long ago. But wanted to do everything legit, plus it'd be too tempting to give myself retarded amounts of everything if I went that path, so I stay away from CE, same with Dark1.

Only game I ever used Cheat Engine for way back was the orig Binding of Isaac because it somewhat nullifies the dumb RNG and made it more "fun" for me. But that was like before WoTL even came out and by then I'd stopped playing...

Took quite a while actually! My main strat was only to attack him when he went for his jumping stab attack and immediately roll away, I did use Flame Quartz+1/Cloranthy+1/Life Protection and Small Orange Burr/Green Blossoms, Old Growth Balm with Red Tearstone active the whole fight. I actually was able to kill him just after he buffed himself with that effect, using the very ending of the frame on my first R2 attack which kept me at a safe distance. In the future I might need to use Brightbugs when needed...

Edit: Also did a no damage/no healing Vanquisher's Seal run of Ornstein at Bonfire Intensity+13 on my main PvP char. Even gave a shout out to you on the Steam wall on that screen! Fun to finally use Vanquisher's Seal again!

Anyway, thinking about possible Naked SL1 No healing strats for Royal Rat Authority. Easy enough to kill the four little rats with 2 Holy Water Urns but it seems that dash attack can't be dodged, so I'm thinking maybe a Brightbug can help me tank the damage with a couple Rings and end him fast with Red Tearstone and Lightning Mace +10?

2AdEPT

Yeah, I could have easily cheated the 50 Awestones, and 40 Loyce Souls for that matter long ago. But wanted to do everything legit, plus it'd be too tempting to give myself retarded amounts of everything if I went that path, so I stay away from CE, same with Dark1.

Only game I ever used Cheat Engine for way back was the orig Binding of Isaac because it somewhat nullifies the dumb RNG and made it more "fun" for me. But that was like before WoTL even came out and by then I'd stopped playing...

Took quite a while actually! My main strat was only to attack him when he went for his jumping stab attack and immediately roll away, I did use Flame Quartz+1/Cloranthy+1/Life Protection and Small Orange Burr/Green Blossoms, Old Growth Balm with Red Tearstone active the whole fight. I actually was able to kill him just after he buffed himself with that effect, using the very ending of the frame on my first R2 attack which kept me at a safe distance. In the future I might need to use Brightbugs when needed...

Edit: Also did a no damage/no healing Vanquisher's Seal run of Ornstein at Bonfire Intensity+13 on my main PvP char. Even gave a shout out to you on the Steam wall on that screen! Fun to finally use Vanquisher's Seal again!

Anyway, thinking about possible Naked SL1 No healing strats for Royal Rat Authority. Easy enough to kill the four little rats with 2 Holy Water Urns but it seems that dash attack can't be dodged, so I'm thinking maybe a Brightbug can help me tank the damage with a couple Rings and end him fast with Red Tearstone and Lightning Mace +10?
Wow that is cool that you could do a no damamge for Smelter....I never thought of doing 'doable at low level' boss types like Ornstein and just pumping the ascetics.....is there any difference in the damage you do past the 7 or so ascetic level? Still, it sounds like a long ass battle! Thanks for the shout out. I checked your channel the other day and there still were no new vids....let me know when I can take a look!

As for the RA, yup I do beleive you would destroy him fast with a brigthbug stacked with tearstone...not based on experience of course, just recalling that the bar goes dow awful fast for RA normally, so maxing out stats for attack power might really get him down fast....reminds of sentinels and how quick their health goes down with a flurry of hits. Big fat bosses likethe Rotten, not so much.

ArynCrinn

Banned
^Thanks man.

Anyway, anybody know how to get the Alsanna, Silent Oracle armor/robes set (Ivory King DLC)? Or know the set she wears and where to find it?

Well, I have some bad news for you. No character transfer.

Anyway, anybody know how to get the Alsanna, Silent Oracle armor/robes set (Ivory King DLC)? Or know the set she wears and where to find it?

I think you cant get that set, its unique for her

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Gaze upon the face of thine destruction, ye fools, and weep tears of anguish.

On a more serious note, do any of you recommend a particular ENB for the PC version? I used to run wickfut's and loved it, but eventually I removed it because it caused my GPU to run too hot. Recently I upgraded my card and again tried wickfut's config, but it seems like he changed some things around for the latest version and it's not entirely to my taste.

This is what Majula used to look like, for reference:

ArynCrinn

Banned
I think you cant get that set, its unique for her

Ahhh, strange, Vaati seems to have gotten it on his lore video about her... So idk.

Anyway, is the reskinned chest loot still available or hasa the window passed? I'm talking about the last Majula chest weapons set, wanting to make a new char just for the Black Rapier, so I just wanted to know to waste my time or not.

2AdEPT

Ahhh, strange, Vaati seems to have gotten it on his lore video about her... So idk.

Anyway, is the reskinned chest loot still available or hasa the window passed? I'm talking about the last Majula chest weapons set, wanting to make a new char just for the Black Rapier, so I just wanted to know to waste my time or not.

very few people would have killed her, as the Loyce souls quest appears to be very lucrative, so that is a possible way to get it perhaps? I thought I heard it was possible to kill her with arrows or something, but could easily be wrong.

edit: upon simply viewing her wiki page ;0 I determined that she appears to be wearing a simple retainer robe, farmable from all those hooded chicks (gender determined by sound of the scream). Cant recal vaati's video, but he liekly didnt wear the hat right?

maomaoIYP

very few people would have killed her, as the Loyce souls quest appears to be very lucrative, so that is a possible way to get it perhaps? I thought I heard it was possible to kill her with arrows or something, but could easily be wrong.

Lucrative? In what sense? Farming for Loyce souls was a real bitch and the Eleum Loyce is pretty much a useless weapon. In fact a large majority of the DLC items aren't useful at all. None of the sorcery spells are useful for example, not sure about dark/lightning/pyro. Some armors and weapons are alright but nothing earth shattering compared to stuff you already get from the main game.

2AdEPT

Lucrative? In what sense? Farming for Loyce souls was a real bitch and the Eleum Loyce is pretty much a useless weapon. In fact a large majority of the DLC items aren't useful at all. None of the sorcery spells are useful for example, not sure about dark/lightning/pyro. Some armors and weapons are alright but nothing earth shattering compared to stuff you already get from the main game.

I thought the big prize was gettign the full set of the charred armour she gives after you complete the Loyce souls quest? I havent completed it so not the best to ask, but that was all i was basing my thoughts on. Has it been determined what the effect is from the charred set? Is it health regen...and only for females?

Mistel

Banned
I thought the big prize was gettign the full set of the charred armour she gives after you complete the Loyce souls quest? I havent completed it so not the best to ask, but that was all i was basing my thoughts on. Has it been determined what the effect is from the charred set? Is it health regen...and only for females?
Charred loyce armor isn't the reward from her. It's not health regen either it's the ring of the evil eye effects for ladies.

maomaoIYP

You get the charred armor as drops from the charred knights. Completing her quest nets you her soul and the right to buy the Ivory King armor, assuming you've killed the boss too. Trading her soul gives you the supposedly best dex scaling weapon in the game, but the weapon is sort of ass so.....I was really disappointed farming 6 hours for those 50 loyce souls.

ArynCrinn

Banned

edit: upon simply viewing her wiki page ;0 I determined that she appears to be wearing a simple retainer robe, farmable from all those hooded chicks (gender determined by sound of the scream). Cant recal vaati's video, but he liekly didnt wear the hat right?

Yep, that's what I thought too, the Retainer Robe. Just wanted to be sure though, just in case there was a "actual set" hidden somewhere.

My roommate who's a programmer found a exploit or possibly hidden or used by the dev's for testing, but he found a way for ALL of the reskinned weapons to appear in the Majula chest after a item dropped and zone out of Majula and back in...boom all reskinned items appear. And you can do it over and over, even offline. That's how I got my Red Caestus! No idea if this will flag you for restrictions on From's servers though.

He'll be sharing this and a lot of other stuff we've done/tested and along with the "server restriction bypass" files. Basically we've done quite a lot, and I'd say a lot of people will be shocked without giving away too much. :p

Bone Fist was worth it imo. ;p Although I agree, with all the DLC's this is the case really...

Edit: And also farming the 50 Loyce Souls gets you the full Loyce Armor set (non-charred). lol Not that it's too appealing looking or that effective vs. anyway.

You can kill her with arrows I've done it. You get her soul but not the armour set iirc.

GulAtiCa

With over 1 million soul memory and 3 Great souls (skipping The Rotten) I am now in Drangleic Castle.

Also currently rocking the Red Rust Sword with Fire infused. Trying it out. Move set is little slower, but does better damage. Got a good bit of Pyro skills now, including Fire Weapon of course. Need to increase my Skill Slots a bit more so I can have more on me.

strafer

Whoever came up with the idea for Blighttown needs to get slapped. I'm fucking lost.

I have no idea where to get out. And you cant warp either.

The Gutter is nothing compared to this bullshit.

:(

those mosquitos can all die.

Amory

Didn't wanna start a new thread for this, can someone just quickly weigh in on where I should start with this series (should I play Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, or just jump right into Dark Souls 2?)

neoism

Whoever came up with the idea for Blighttown needs to get slapped. I'm fucking lost.

Yup one of the main reasons I just can't go back to DS1 is because you have to walk everywhere... I love being able to warp everywhere in DS2

SoldnerKei

played that section on the PS3, framerate died faster than me

Mistel

Banned
Also currently rocking the Red Rust Sword with Fire infused. Trying it out. Move set is little slower, but does better damage. Got a good bit of Pyro skills now, including Fire Weapon of course. Need to increase my Skill Slots a bit more so I can have more on me.
It's the axe moveset which it has that makes it slower than most of the straight swords are.
Didn't wanna start a new thread for this, can someone just quickly weigh in on where I should start with this series (should I play Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, or just jump right into Dark Souls 2?)
It doesn't really matter much at all where you start some references here and there but that's about it.

You can reach the bonfire "town" but damm I actually got exhausted after all that mess of enemies, I just wanted a break.

zma1013

The mosquitoes eventually stop coming if you kill enough of them. I think it's like 5 or 6 you gotta kill. I used to think they came indefinitely but just sit there and shoot them with a bow for a few moments and they stop coming.

2AdEPT

Yeah pre warp you gotta find your way out, but finding every single short cut and sercret peice of gepography in DS1 in particular is LOTS of fun. treat it like a puzzle challenge and find the back door to that place. I was so much into finding secret routes with the master key I actually found the backway in before the front way...the road less travelled makes all the difference in DS1.

My suggestion is to do them in order and re-live the progression the way the orginal fans of Demons' did. The reason being you can see what changes were made and why at each stage of the game. Although DS2 will have the most traffic right now for online, the other iterations appear to have many many people hyping up for bloodborne on them and you can likely get multiplayer in Demons' fairly easily right now as well. There are more than several easter eggs and call backs in each game as well that are fun to notice in the proper order, certain characters and items that seem to show up in both Boletaria, Lordran, and/or Drangleic. Demons' is likley the shortest story, so although each has huge replayability, you can get a full taste of a souls game a little quicker than the other two... DS2 takes considerably longer to complete than the other two.

Tarkus

If you have the opportunity to play Demon's first then I would do that. Play them in order.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I would recommend Dark Souls.

I played Dark Souls, followed by Demon's Souls and I think playing Demon's first would have soured my Dark Souls experience. Dark Souls felt absolutely groundbreaking, wholly unique, and incredibly refreshing. Had I played Demon's first, I would have already experience a lot of stuff in the first game that was done again, but better in the second.

Dark borrows a few great moments from Demon's but I think is more successful with it.

Basically, my view on it is if you want one, really impactful experience followed by two really great ones, play Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, then Dark Souls II.

If you're comfortable with dampening what is potentially a really revelatory game experience, then play in release order. Demon's, Dark, Dark II.

zma1013

Im sitting here in the ps3 version waiting to see if i get summoned for the dlc i do not have. Is it common for people to summon or no? I know it's one optional part. Doesnt seem like anyone is playing it.

GulAtiCa

Decided to switch back to the Fire Longsword for now. As does more damage and faster, at least until the Red Rust Sword is fully upgraded. I do like Red Rust Sword, but right now just experimenting.

It's funny now that a lot of bosses I've been beating by myself. Funny thinking back to the early days when I was so bad and not very good at dodging. Heck, not really using my Pyromacy that much for bosses (other then when far away).

Decided to take off Silver Ring thingy, don't really need that much more souls at the moment. I'll put it back on in NG+. Already at 1.25 million souls I think.

Top Bottom