• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I just wasted 35,000 souls..... I had just finished beating Mytha, and entered the Iron Keep. Upon seeing that item next to the 1st bonfire, I lost all coherent thought, and rolled into the firey ground, pretty much an instant death. Then when trying to retrieve my 35,000 souls, realizing that I needed to be quick, I rolled off the fucking edge. Gone. Forever. I've never lost more than 10,000 before. I tend to be very careful. I'm quitting the game for the night. I'm so upset.

you'll learn to deal with it. it's not much, really. you'll make them back in no time. you're in IK now.

Dude, faith fucking sucks in this game,

Put your points into intelligence. Imbue your weapons with fire or magic stone, and all the sorcery spells are a lot more cooler than the miracles which are lame. And bolt spells do pussy damage now.

Wagram

Frigid Outskirts
is one of the most annoying damn levels ever. How can I take on 3 horses at once? Seriously, and it's impossible to see half the time.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
What rings are you using? Do you have southern ritual band +2 yet( gives you 2 extra attunement slots) or clear bluestone ring +2 (faster casting speed)? You should get those rings as they will help you but you will need to burn ascetics to get them. You should also have access to soul spear(its in huntsman copse) and you can burn ascetics to get more since it will respawn when you burn an ascetic and you wouldn't need to fight a boss.

I wouldn't use dark orb unless you plan on leveling your faith evenly because hexes scales with both int and faith and the dark damage will be based on your lowest stat between the two. Soul Vortex honestly isn't that good, I never use that spell on my sorcerer because it just doesn't do that much damage so I wouldn't use it. You'd be better off with great soul arrow or great heavy soul arrow and if you don't have soul spear, go to huntsman corpse and get it. Soul Greatsword is fine for killing mobs, it just has a long delay so be careful with it.

I like having a thrusting weapon on my sorcerer so when enemies come running in, you can poke them away. I have an +10 magic estoc, but you could use a spear like the winged spear or the pike or something similar to keep enemies from rushing you.

I know you have maxed out the sorcerer staff, but there are better staffs. Since your in the Shrine of Amana, you could try and farm Amana mages for the staff of Amana. It has S scaling for int. There is also the Staff of Wisdom which also scales S with int but you need 50 int to use it. You can also use the witchtree branch. All of these should do more damage than the sorcerer's staff especially if you infuse them to scale with your int.

Also Faith got nerfed really hard and is basically just support magic now so I wouldn't switch to a faith build if you want to be a caster. Either stick with being a sorcerer or respec to get your faith even with your int and start using hexes instead.

Thank you for this post. It was really helpful. I went and got Soul Spear twice and it's become part of my arsenal. How do I get the Clear Bluestone Ring +2? I only have a regular one, sadly.

Jimboooo

Neo Member
So... Jumping back into this off the back of Bloodborne, having previously played Dark Souls 2 to death, it's like night and day. Everything feels so much slower and more methodical, far more so than it did when I first played it, and the instinct to act as if it's Bloodborne has been the source of several unnecessary deaths so far!

Dodge rolling seems to take an age to trigger, but I'm starting to get the timing back after weeks of fast BB side-stepping. I have a horrible urge to run straight in and wail on the enemy after taking a hit, which has got me turned into paste more than a few times...

I also can't be the only one who takes a couple of hits, backs off and hits the 'heal' button and instead ends up switching weapon stance and wondering why the health bar isn't going back up.

I know, I know. I need to git gud again.

Daigoro

im lost.

im in Drangleic Castle, i beat
the Horse
, and then beat the
Gargoyle looking thing on the roof
(he didnt drop shit? thought i heard some noises after he died, but he just respawns later), now i dont know where to go. there's a few locked doors and a lever that does nothing.

any help?

this game is so huge, i feel like ive forgotten about a lot of places i was unable access early on and forgot about...

im lost.

im in Drangleic Castle, i beat
the Horse
, and then beat the Gargoyle looking thing on the roof, now i dont know where to go. there's a few locked doors and a lever that does nothing.

any help?

this game is so huge, i feel like ive forgotten about a lot of places i was unable access early on and forgot about...

did you pull the maniki to the statue room with the giant? kill them near the giant. it's the first room after ladder.

They really lulled me into a false sense of security with this fight against The B
elfry Gargoyles

Enjoying the game so far, though and its scratching the Souls itch I had coming off of 100 hours of Bloodborne. I've got to say though, even with the graphical improvements, I'm still finding the game to look really, really bland artistically compared to Dark Souls I and Bloodborne. The character models are great, but its the environments, more so in the stoney, dark castle environments, it still just looks kind of unfinished. But that's a minor, enjoying the game a lot more than the few hours I played of it on PS3.

gogosox82

Thank you for this post. It was really helpful. I went and got Soul Spear twice and it's become part of my arsenal. How do I get the Clear Bluestone Ring +2? I only have a regular one, sadly.

You have to burn an ascetic at the undead lockaway bonfire (the place where Creighton was at) and then you have to kill the skeleton lords. Shouldn't be too hard to burn them down with soul spears though. If you don't have southern ritual band +2, you need to burn an ascetic at the bonfire in the shaded woods and kill Scorpioness Najka again for it.

idonteven

a
cient
d
dragon
feels a LOT harder on ps3 for some reason...once i knew his moves he wasnt that bad on ps4,seems like the aoe is much bigger

I was at Aldia's Keep and saw a lever. I pulled it thinking it would move the dragon thing but nothing happened. So then I checked the other side and I freed
the wizard guy
. Dude had
dick written all over him so I killed him
. Looked it up and it turns out a missed on a whole quest line ;_;

I am actually liking DS2 a lot more going back to it after BB, since I am playing much more aggressively vs shield blocking

Its also cool playing a sorceror and having ranged capability in the form of magic from the beginning - I missed ranged magic in BB (I would have liked the guns to have been ranged damage vs just a parry move)

I really hope they port BB to PC since DS2 on PC feels totally different at 60 fps, it would be hard to go back to BB and the slower framerate (and the load times)

fwpx

Ive beaten Vanilla DS2 twice, once as a sword and board, once as a manly shirtless dual cestus face puncher.

I want to do an int/caster in SotFS...recommendations?

mjc

So I just picked up the king's ring...should I fight King Vendrick right away or do other stuff first? He's just walking around right now...

rhandino

Banned
pro-tip
run towards him when he is in the air, that way his toxic flames miss you, and his toxic fireball. Also look out because sometimes he will land and hit you.

Thank You.

I beat it last night before seeing this T_T. At first I tried it to destroy him with a Greatbow but noticed that
his fire Attacks also deals Poison dmg and was poisoned in one of his charge attacks X_x

On the third try that I thought was going to be about learning more about his patterns I actually defeated him using my Axes o_O...

He has many nasty attacks and surprises like whe he stand seeks you on his back and then treats you with his Fire-Toxic attack, oh and that moment when you don't notice he is above you and try to crush you, fun times =P

Now, the optional boss at the end of the optinal area of the DLC? Wow!

klee123

Fume knight down!

After 2 tries, I respeced into a dex build and used the ice rapier against him..........sooo good.

That's all the dlcs done.

Time to finish the game!

Jinjo

I kinda wish someone told me the Gank Trio was a completely optional boss before I wasted 25 effigies on them :( The skirt you get is nice I guess...

Cyborg

A couple of questions

1. Is my character transferable from my PS3 to PS4?
2. Can I transfer my safe from PS3 to PS4?
3. If you havent played DLC, is this game worth it?
4. Most important question: Can you go back to DS2 after Bloodborne?

hawk2025

A couple of questions

1. Is my character transferable from my PS3 to PS4?
2. Can I transfer my safe from PS3 to PS4?
3. If you havent played DLC, is this game worth it?
4. Most important question: Can you go back to DS2 after Bloodborne?

No
No
Yes
Yes

Just started playing this game and have reached the coastal Majula town. In the middle of the town there is a huge well, which I can just about see down and there is a tiny ledge with some items to pick up. I'm sure if I try to drop down I will die, is there another way to reach the items as I progress in the game later?

rhandino

Banned
Just started playing this game and have reached the coastal Majula town. In the middle of the town there is a huge well, which I can just about see down and there is a tiny ledge with some items to pick up. I'm sure if I try to drop down I will die, is there another way to reach the items as I progress in the game later?

You actually are going to go at the bottom of that well later but i think you may need some more levels and
A ring sold by the cat in one of the houses... or a spell that reduces fall damage

I
ron
K
eep
SUCKED. Total slog to get through.

Alonne Gank Squads, Snipers, and Armadillo jerk warriors EVERYWHERE. All the fire and lava certainly didn't help.

Was it nearly as bad in the Vanilla version?

Either way, really glad to have it done with. Also feel good about doing it blind.

Sullichin

I
ron
K
eep
SUCKED. Total slog to get through.

Alonne Gank Squads, Snipers, and Armadillo jerk warriors EVERYWHERE. All the fire and lava certainly didn't help.

Was it nearly as bad in the Vanilla version?

Either way, really glad to have it done with. Also feel good about doing it blind.
They made the run to Smelter Demon much harder.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
You have to burn an ascetic at the undead lockaway bonfire (the place where Creighton was at) and then you have to kill the skeleton lords. Shouldn't be too hard to burn them down with soul spears though. If you don't have southern ritual band +2, you need to burn an ascetic at the bonfire in the shaded woods and kill Scorpioness Najka again for it.
Awesome, I'll go do both of those things today. My character is finally coming together. I was doing like % 20 damage per hit to a boss I just faced with Soul spear. Felt good. I also got Soul Geyser. Should I farm that too, or is two casts enough? Seems pretty situational.

gogosox82

Awesome, I'll go do both of those things today. My character is finally coming together. I was doing like % 20 damage per hit to a boss I just faced with Soul spear. Felt good. I also got Soul Geyser. Should I farm that too, or is two casts enough? Seems pretty situational.

Soul Geyser isn't really that great anymore. I would go for crystal soul spear. In order to get crystal soul spear you'll need to burn an ascetic at the lower bonfire in Teldora(its the one that's right next to Ornifex, the weaponsmith) and kill Duke's Dear Freja. She will drop her soul along with the pale drake soul which you can trade with Straid to get crystal soul spear. Not gonna lie, I found this fight to be a pain because of the damn spiders in the boss room that jump half way across the room at you and take off a third of your life, but its worth it for crystal soul spear because css will absolutely destroy some bosses which is probably why they make such a pain to get.

Top Bottom