• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

rhandino

Banned
Not Fume Knight being a pain in the ass X_x and it seems that even the devs agree since there is
a bonfire practically next to it X_X

I am like on my ten try against it and right now I am finding that he
is kind of easier in his "rage" form since there is no 2nd sword to worry about... but damn at that explosion that I can't seem to evade consistently

Reebot

I did in my reply, the fact that dudes in full rock armor can do cartwheels (Dark Wood Grain Ring) is pretty bonkers, when talking strictly immersion as you were previously.

Not the same issue, I'm talking about the gliding effect in DS 2. No other Souls game comes close, and it breaks the in-game reality.

klee123

I've definitely noticed bosses and many creatures are very magic resistant, and certain areas become pretty much impossible for a magic-only character unless you're grotesquely over-leveled. That fucking DLC area with all the Dual-Wielding Ghost Warriors. Yeah, they're fucking dangerous, and magic damage is reduced by about %80 on them. Fuck that.

Just wait till you fight the end dlc boss Fume Knight, who's resistant to everything except for physical.

I had to respec to be able to beat it and this was coming from a hardcore Sorcerer, but now that I'm enjoying 2h melee with Fume's ultra greatsword, it's awesome.

Not Fume Knight being a pain in the ass X_x and it seems that even the devs agree since there is
a bonfire practically next to it X_X

I am like on my ten try against it and right now I am finding that he
is kind of easier in his "rage" form since there is no 2nd sword to worry about... but damn at that explosion that I can't seem to evade consistently

Roll back to avoid the initial explosion and then roll forward to avoid the fireballs.

I'm on PS4 and this is my first experience with the game. Pretty clear now where the "b team" sentiment comes from and I agree entirely. DS 2 feels like that straight to DVD sequel to your favorite movie.

I feel completely opposite from you. I loved Dark Souls but I can't bring myself to go back and play it after playing Dark Souls 2. IMO, the "B Team" game is the one with the most staying power, even over Bloodborne which was honestly kind of disappointing for me in its replay value.

Neff

I started my last run evenly distributing between HP, strength and stamina with top-ups for anything else I felt I needed, and found life quite difficult, ending the game at 50 hours. My current run has about 30% of my XP poured into ADP, with the rest going to strength, and I am wrecking the game. I'm close to the end in about 15 hours and have died a mere handful of times.

I'm convinced that ADP is the single most important stat in Souls II. It doesn't matter what else you have, if you have high maneuverability you can do anything, including faster Estus replenishment.

I feel completely opposite from you. I loved Dark Souls but I can't bring myself to go back and play it after playing Dark Souls 2. IMO, the "B Team" game is the one with the most staying power, even over Bloodborne which was honestly kind of disappointing for me in its replay value.

I agree. I started playing Dark Souls tonight and it feels kind of stale and lifeless in comparison. Still a classic game, but it really cements my preference of DSII.

Made my way through what feels like most of the burnt crown DLC. Man, the amount of shit resistant to magic is driving me up the wall. Not that is difficult, it's just tedious. First time I muster up the will to not go full dex or quality and I chose this game lol.

Thinking about respecing splitting my int into int + faith and putting some points into either strength or dex so I have more options for weapons. What are some solid options? Is blunt still king?

idonteven

new game + feels harder on ps3 than on ps4 because of almost no summons to use,been stuck on final boss for hours while i did it first try on ps4...the super long run to the boss doesnt make it any more fun

used to be 2 summons there on ps4 and nothing on ps3 at all...pissing me off

instant cursed with half hp then one shotted...can't find anyone to help me so i am fucked

new game + feels harder on ps3 than on ps4 because of almost no summons to use,been stuck on final boss for hours while i did it first try on ps4...the super long run to the boss doesnt make it any more fun

instant cursed with half hp then one shotted...can't find anyone to help me so i am fucked

PS3 has the same 2 summons too. maybe you didn't talk to bernhart and the head in this playthrough?

i did,didnt show up,no idea what to do now because im having more trouble with this than darklurker and fumeknight combined

i don't know then. maybe you didn't exhaust their dialogue/didn't make friends with them. they probably just made them default summons in the remaster.

Haha, I got my first hate PM today :) Apparently, after spending 75+ levels worth of points into faith and attunement, I'm not supposed to use spells vs invaders. Dragon Shrine seems to be a hotspot for PvP activity! I already got invaded three times there (I have ~2mil soul total). Won twice, draw once (we killed each other).

Anyway, to my question: do I get sin from attacking the
friendly (or neutral?) guys
at shrine? I accidentally hit one of them with heavenly thunder, that I was casting at an invader. They all started attacking me so I went and absolved my sins. It cost me 0 souls, but the absolver still let me absolve the sins, so I did apparently do something?

This is a big deal for me because I use Lost Sinner's Sword as my main weapon, so any answer would be appreciated.

Aces&Eights

Super long run? Spawn at second bonfire, take a left. Open door and run down hallway. Enter fog door. Took me about 2 minutes of running and there were not any enemies to fight on the way. You taking about having to fight throne room guys first before final chick?

Guys, I haven't played the DLC content yet and I'd like to get the most out of my first walkthrough (because I probably won't play it again in a long time). I didn't understood the story until I watched Vatividya's videos. Should I watched his videos before playing the DLC content ?

Kazuhira

The path to
blue smelter demon
is still bs in this version.
They could´ve removed the big iron golem that spews lava from its shoulders at least,i hate that enemy.

_h8bit

Banned
I picked this up after enjoying Bloodborne so much. It's a bit harder to get used to in terms of combat pacing and I still can't quite get parrying down but I like what I've played so far. Just slow goin'.

The run to
blue
smelter is some straight up appalling design. There's a sort of shortcut but it's even more dangerous than the non-shortcut lol. Took him down after switching my magic infusion on my mlgs to enchanted. I got pretty close a few times before doing that but those yolo stabs back to back when he was under 5% kept getting me. Dodged them fine before that. I dunno

Just got to
Fume Knight
and gave it a shot before quitting. Seems like a slow fight. Again magic is useless.

rhandino

Banned
Roll back to avoid the initial explosion and then roll forward to avoid the fireballs.
He throw fireballs after THAT? What in the world...

7qBmycR.gif

For now I'm going to farm material for my first NG+ in a souls game and after that I going to tackle him... wow...

Is it just me or is No Man's Wharf pretty annoying in this version?

It wasn't my favorite dungeon in the vanilla version but that was more due to the darkness. However I don't remember it to be this annoying regarding enemy placement....this or I'm just impatient lol.

Is it just me or is No Man's Wharf pretty annoying in this version?

It wasn't my favorite dungeon in the vanilla version but that was more due to the darkness. However I don't remember it to be this annoying regarding enemy placement....this or I'm just impatient lol.

No Man's Wharf is where I first started to rage a bit. For me it was the groups of enemies and no room for dodging.

I just want to take this moment and say that people who invade in abyss are made of pure evil. I still managed to get max rank in pilgrims without spending all of my effigies, luckily.

Whelp, just about to start NG++ and I'm Lvl250. Time to shed my "efficient" armour and go all fashion souls!

JvpkaV5.jpg

Mad Warrior Mask, Throne Defender Armour and Gauntlets, and Mad Warrior pants, all leveled up to max. Looks badass IMO.

So im trying to unlock some trophies and the Gathering of Exiles doesn't seem to unlock, yet i'm fairly sure i have everyone. Anyone know if there is some trick to this ? i have
Melentia, Cale, Licia (though i've invaded her), Cahillion, Chloanne, Gilligan and Melfia.

I'm missing the item that gives access to the Crown of the Old Iron King area. Can anyone tell me where it is? I read somewhere that it's in the salamander pit but I've been there and picked up all the items.

idonteven

So im trying to unlock some trophies and the Gathering of Exiles doesn't seem to unlock, yet i'm fairly sure i have everyone. Anyone know if there is some trick to this ? i have
Melentia, Cale, Licia (though i've invaded her), Cahillion, Chloanne, Gilligan and Melfia.

she's dead if you invaded her i think

nahlakhai

Heads up to anyone who's been waiting for a sale like me, this game will be $49.99 at BB ($39.99 w/ GCU) starting tomorrow for the week I believe.

Wagram

So after having finished Dark Souls II a total of 4 and a half times now with this version I do believe it's the best overall Souls package. There's so much rich content in this Scholar's version, and even I played an extra 70 hours despite knowing many tricks. It's easier on the normal levels but if you solo, don't use summons (human or npc), and join champions it's more difficult.

Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls are fantastic as well but those glasses need to come off.

Wagram

Yes or No for me?

I like BB a lot.

DS2 too hard for me? Harder to understand as BB gems/runes etc?

Definite yes. Dark Souls II can be as hard as you want to make it.

Difficult Challenge: Join covenant of champions.
Moderate Challenge: Don't join the covenant of champions but don't summon.
Low Challenge: Don't join the covenant of champions and summon help via npc or online.

Take your time and have fun.

Wagram

Does summoning help cost any "insight" as in BB?

Will decide if I get this.... Witcher 3 soon :(

You have to be in human form which requires you to not be undead. You can use effigies to transform back into a human state. Scholar of the first sin gives plenty of them compared to vanilla. I had well over 50 when I finished the game.

I didn't mind the durability thing at all in this version. If anything it forced me to utilize two different weapons and added a new survival aspect to the game. In vanilla DS2 I never had a single weapon break outside of acid damaging it. And the bonfires repair your gear and there are plenty of repair powders to be had. I am sure some will find it ruined the game for them but I found it to be a welcome addition. Not knocking those that it effected but I found it was kinda overblown personally.

Or maybe I just like having a use for my repair sorcery.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Quoting for new page.

Iron King DLC key is in the fire salamander pit in Forest of Fallen Giants taking the elevator all the way down. In the back of the big salamander room there is a small cave where you snag the key. Just explore thoroughly, should not be difficult to find at all.

It's in the first room after you open the door with that key you get from Iron Keep, in the back. There's a salamander and a route leading back to where the Fire Longsword was.

Iron King DLC key is in the fire salamander pit in Forest of Fallen Giants taking the elevator all the way down. In the back of the big salamander room there is a small cave where you snag the key. Just explore thoroughly, should not be difficult to find at all.

Thanks, I must've missed it.

SkylineRKR

welp, beat the Iron King DLC.

It wasn't as good as Sunken King. Level was almost completely linear and felt shorter. Bosses were good but a bit samey and one of them is a rehash with a useless reward. Only one is needed for the crown, which is different to Sunken King.

I don't like how this game punishes me for respeccing to a sorcerer, magic is completely fucking useless here. I bet I would've tackled these bosses much quicker on my pure melee build.

I think I go back to quality for dat samurai sword, or farm sunbros.

BigDes

You have to be in human form which requires you to not be undead. You can use effigies to transform back into a human state. Scholar of the first sin gives plenty of them compared to vanilla. I had well over 50 when I finished the game.

You can also gain human form by putting your marker down and helping other people.

Top Bottom