• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

That's why I love using the Red Sign Soapstone in places like the IK bridge. It's either people who want to duel you or gank you. A lot fewer people run away or chug flasks with every hit.

I'll have a look at that when I get there, this guy didn't like me beating him so he ran through a load of poison to go and heal up and I couldn't be bothered with him then,no honour some people.

gunstarhero

Couple of questions:

Generally a good idea to purchase better equipment near the start of the game (exploring the Giants forest, haven't fought a boss yet)? Or better dumping souls into your level?

Is there a way to sell stuff? Don't see an option from the merchant just yet.

I just noticed my torch gained time - how did that happen?

Lastly - I think I understand hollowing (I just died for the first time) - but when is it a good idea to use a Human Effigy? Like 50% of the way down? A bit unclear on how this mechanic works, coming from Bloodborne.

Already in love with this game - the environments are awesome and much more varied than BB (tho much uglier IMO). Really glad I decided to pick this up!

Tarkus

Couple of questions:

Generally a good idea to purchase better equipment near the start of the game (exploring the Giants forest, haven't fought a boss yet)? Or better dumping souls into your level?

Is there a way to sell stuff? Don't see an option from the merchant just yet.

I just noticed my torch gained time - how did that happen?

Lastly - I think I understand hollowing (I just died for the first time) - but when is it a good idea to use a Human Effigy? Like 50% of the way down? A bit unclear on how this mechanic works, coming from Bloodborne.

Already in love with this game - the environments are awesome and much more varied than BB (tho much uglier IMO). Really glad I decided to pick this up!
I guess focus more on upgrading your weapon, but stats are important too. Find a good weapon in the Forest (4 good ones that I can think) and work on just that weapon as upgrade materials are hard to come by early on. You'll prob only get to +6 or 7 until you're about 25% through the game. Don't upgrade armor yet. Since you're coming from BB you prob want to pump ADP until your agility is 105. That's around 32 ADP.

There's an NPC that wheels and deals, but the souls you get are low. Good for duplicates though.

You picked up another torch as loot.

Effigies are finite unless you PvP red phantoms. I like to clear out areas hollowed and only use an Effigy when I'm ready for a boss. You don't want to use them up and then get screwed at a boss with 50% HP and no more effigies. 50% is the lower limit BTW. You can get a ring early on that lowers the HP penalty of hollowing. It's really useful in the early game.

Sullichin

I somehow lost my save on PC upgrading to Windows 10 :( it's not in Windows.old.

Really sucks because I had a few fully upgraded weapons and a ton of chunks and slabs from doing bell keeper invasions. Honestly wouldn't even care because I beat this game so many times but I haven't beaten the last DLC yet somehow, and this is the character I was going to do that on. :(

zsswimmer

So I'm enjoying being in the ratbros convenant, feels like you are justified for being a dick since the whole purpose, at least in the doors of pharos, is to make it a pain in the ass to get through. Been stocking up on those acid urns when people corner themselves and arrow down my elephant guardian guys :)

2AdEPT

I somehow lost my save on PC upgrading to Windows 10 :( it's not in Windows.old.

Really sucks because I had a few fully upgraded weapons and a ton of chunks and slabs from doing bell keeper invasions. Honestly wouldn't even care because I beat this game so many times but I haven't beaten the last DLC yet somehow, and this is the character I was going to do that on. :(

two words: gamesave manager. Absolutely one ofthe best free ware things I have picked up. always works always does what it says it will do.

This game marks the first time that I've actually been invaded in any Souls-esque game and been able to triumph without too much strain!! I was continuously owned in Bloodborne and Demons Souls (back in the day)..

It adds a layer of joy to the game :p so far I'm not finding it to be too strenuous, co-op is a real joy as always.. Just trying to get through Lost Bastille in bits and pieces at the moment (a certain familiar enemy that appears out of nowhere keeps slaughtering me).

Now I'm going on hols for two weeks too, so I will keep refreshed and ready to kick ass!!

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Is there any build that comes close to a hunter from BB ?
I'm struggling to get used to the game's combat after beating Bloodborne.

Is there any build that comes close to a hunter from BB ?
I'm struggling to get used to the game's combat after beating Bloodborne.

I think if you wear light armour and get your Adaptability up to a minimum of 100 then you get more i-frames for rolling.

Personally I would spend some time getting used to how this game plays as it is totally different from Bloodborne, I spent a while in the Forest of Fallen Giants trying out new weapons and tactics as i'd come straight from Bloodborne/The Witcher to this and it was so long ago when I played DS1 i'd forgotten how to play them so had to re-learn the slower style and tactics, even now I still think i'm going to get health back when I counter!

Saint9806

I just got to Drangelic Castle and loving the area so far. How far into the game am I exactly? Wondering if I'm past the halfway point at least?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in the other DS2 thread thinking it was the current one, so excuse the spam!

Would anyone be willing to let me shareplay First Sin for an hour or two? I really loved Bloodborne but didn't like Dark Souls that much, but DS2 fixed some of the issues I had (no fast travel). I'm assuming it'll get pretty cheap soon so I just want to see if it'll be worth buying. I'm from the UK so someone from EU GAF would be great.

I know it won't be perfect, but I have a fibre connection so if someone with a similar connection near me could let me try it I'd appreciate it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Did they severely nerf the Ancient Dragon's fire attack? I stacked my usual loadout of fire quartz ring+2 and the best fire-def light armour I had on hand to make sure I wouldn't be OHKO'd, but honestly it seems I didn't even need to, the fire attack took out less than half of my health! Normally I'd need Flash Sweat for that to happen but I didn't need it. o_O

The path to the dragon was awesome though.
All those knights bowing at you...
OMG. ;_;

Manu

Did they severely nerf the Ancient Dragon's fire attack? I stacked my usual loadout of fire quartz ring+2 and the best fire-def light armour I had on hand to make sure I wouldn't be OHKO'd, but honestly it seems I didn't even need to, the fire attack took out less than half of my health! Normally I'd need Flash Sweat for that to happen but I didn't need it. o_O

The path to the dragon was awesome though.
All those knights bowing at you...
OMG. ;_;

Yep. It doesn't cover as much terrain either. Noticed it right away.

Korezo

Why is Lucatiel never in my game anymore, I screwed up NG, but in NG+ she not in No mans wharf and only 2 locations then disappeared in my game never showing up in Alidas, and now in NG++ she's not in No mans Wharf again, and will probably only be in The Bastille and Gultch area then disappear forever again... This time I went to No mans Warf first instead of The Bastille.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I actually found Sinh to be much harder. Got Ancient Dragon on my second try, while Sinh took me at least a dozen.
Got Sinh my first try here. But, I had 0 estus left (I used them even when I lost only 1/4th of my health bar though, just in case the next attack would kill me), whereas I had like, 9 left for Ancient Dragon. If that's any indication, then yeah Sinh was harder.

Poor Ancient Dragon, everyone hated him, but at least they feared and respected him. Now he's a scrub. ;_;

Seeing as Ancient Dragon is a hot topic I'd though I'd share my SOTFS experience.

Forget to up fire defence > destroyed.

Get high fire defence > forget about stomp > destroyed.

Remember stomp > ready to kill > fall off arena.

Goddamnit.

MG310

Why is Lucatiel never in my game anymore, I screwed up NG, but in NG+ she not in No mans wharf and only 2 locations then disappeared in my game never showing up in Alidas, and now in NG++ she's not in No mans Wharf again, and will probably only be in The Bastille and Gultch area then disappear forever again... This time I went to No mans Warf first instead of The Bastille.

They moved her further into No Man's Wharf in Scholar of the First Sin. Her Earthen Peak location also changed to before the Covetous Demon rather than right after.

spliced

I noticed messages in places when npc's used to be or even memorable enemies like the Heide Knights old locations. The bonfire at No Man's Wharf had a message near it about no woman? so by that I figured they changed her location.

I laughed at the torch hollow they added in NMW, he'll follow you around the whole level if you don't kill him.

I've never used impaling weapons much before but seeing the backstabs with my Grand Lance are pretty funny, the monkey spiders in NMW so far are my favorite.

spliced

Wow there really are a lot of Alonne Knights in the IK now. I had a bit more trouble with Flamelurker than I was expecting but nothing too bad, I was getting him low most of the time before I died. Then I just walked in and easy one timed Old Iron King. I was surprised to find I could go to the DLC area after that I thought it needed a key for that, anyway 'm gonna saved the DLC's for the end. Off to the hole or the woods next.

kewlmyc

Hello, I'm going to hopefully be starting Dark Souls II soon. The original release. I've rolled Dex builds in Bloodborne and Dark Souls, but I've heard that Dex builds are kinda garbage in this game due to most enemies having armor and being weak to strike damage. Is this true?

Hello, I'm going to hopefully be starting Dark Souls II soon. The original release. I've rolled Dex builds in Bloodborne and Dark Souls, but I've heard that Dex builds are kinda garbage in this game due to most enemies having armor and being weak to strike damage. Is this true?

It is true that lots of enemies are weaker to strike damage. But you could still use a Dex build with a thrust weapon. Power stance rapiers feels so OP damage-wise. It feels like EVERYTHING is weak to thrust damage. I truthfully don't know what exactly would be resistant to it.

Tarkus

No clue. This is my first time playing through all of this stuff.
Ah I see, I misunderstood. Apparently you can turtle the fight fairly easily with a greatshield, though I've never tried that.

2 hand a good weapon and roll to his right. Hit him in the back and get out. You can kind of learn his attacks but he does a good job of mixing things up. Stock up on lifegems because you'll probably run out of flasks.

Alucrid

Banned
so i played through this on the ps3 already, want to try and blitz through it on the ps4 now for the dlc. what the op weapon i can use to do so

Tarkus

so i played through this on the ps3 already, want to try and blitz through it on the ps4 now for the dlc. what the op weapon i can use to do so
Claymore, Zweihander, or Greatsword. All can be had fairly early. Grand Lance is gotten early as well, but they've patched it to consume a lot more stamina. Red Iron Twinblade is an OP PvE weapon, but it's in the Shrine of Amana.

Ah I see, I misunderstood. Apparently you can turtle the fight fairly easily with a greatshield, though I've never tried that.

2 hand a good weapon and roll to his right. Hit him in the back and get out. You can kind of learn his attacks but he does a good job of mixing things up. Stock up on lifegems because you'll probably run out of flasks.
I got him. Easier than Ivory King for me.

Did exactly what you said. I kept dying to his AoE fireballs. I got him to one more hit and i got greedy and swung twice. He jumped away and immediately charged me and impaled me to death.

The time i did kill him i just stomped his ass. Think i healed twice. Lol. Same with Ivory. I went in, used a Brightbug and killed him in less than 2 minutes.

Tarkus

I got him. Easier than Ivory King for me.

Did exactly what you said. I kept dying to his AoE fireballs. I got him to one more hit and i got greedy and swung twice. He jumped away and immediately charged me and impaled me to death.

The time i did kill him i just stomped his ass. Think i healed twice. Lol. Same with Ivory. I went in, used a Brightbug and killed him in less than 2 minutes.
Funny how it works sometimes.

Going for Sir Alonne? I had more trouble with him.

Alucrid

Banned
Claymore, Zweihander, or Greatsword. All can be had fairly early. Grand Lance is gotten early as well, but they've patched it to consume a lot more stamina. Red Iron Twinblade is an OP PvE weapon, but it's in the Shrine of Amana.

thanks, i actually enjoy greatswords so that's good to hear

Tarkus

thanks, i actually enjoy greatswords so that's good to hear
If you go to Dragonrider by way of Heide's Tower from the beginning, you can access Huntman's Copse early and get a Greataword +3 from the asshole red phantom before the Chariot.

What's the strategy for dealing with shield bros? I feel so lost without my kick. Just bought it this morning and been playing it all day after having put 10 hours or so into DaS and BB each.

Really liking it except for the difference in poise coming from DaS. It's gonna take a while to get used to it.

PS Fuck No Man's Wharf. Got wrecked so bad I got pissed, deleted that save and started over. Can't wait to go back with my new character and fuck shit up.

Tarkus

What's the strategy for dealing with shield bros? I feel so lost without my kick. Just bought it this morning and been playing it all day after having put 10 hours or so into DaS and BB each.

Really liking it except for the difference in poise coming from DaS. It's gonna take a while to get used to it.

PS Fuck No Man's Wharf. Got wrecked so bad I got pissed, deleted that save and started over. Can't wait to go back with my new character and fuck shit up.
Dealing with turtling in this game is much easier than before. Just push forward + R1 to do a guard break. Run up and perform a critical attack while they're in the broken animation. DS2 handled this much better than DS1.

Alucrid

Banned
maybe i just suck now, but going through vanilla i didn't have too many problems. here i can't even get up to the cathedral of the blue and those stupid stretch arm strongs in no man's wharf are fucking my day up. don't really like the new enemy placements and i keep getting this thing where i hold circle to sprint and it takes a couple seconds to register

If you go to Dragonrider by way of Heide's Tower from the beginning, you can access Huntman's Copse early and get a Greataword +3 from the asshole red phantom before the Chariot.

kill the red phantom but it didn't drop, guess it's not guaranteed. did get one in the wharf though

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dealing with turtling in this game is much easier than before. Just push forward + R1 to do a guard break. Run up and perform a critical attack while they're in the broken animation. DS2 handled this much better than DS1.
Yup, works like a charm. I'm actually sad that kicking is back in DS3... the guard break was far more useful.

maybe i just suck now, but going through vanilla i didn't have too many problems. here i can't even get up to the cathedral of the blue and those stupid stretch arm strongs in no man's wharf are fucking my day up. don't really like the new enemy placements and i keep getting this thing where i hold circle to sprint and it takes a couple seconds to register

kill the red phantom but it didn't drop, guess it's not guaranteed. did get one in the wharf though

Cathedral of Blue is hardmode now, it's supposed to be much harder to get to.

You can VERY easily deal with the NMW enemies by carrying a torch or getting the torch hollow to go with you. It gives you plenty of time to hack them down before they man up and decide to attack you.

You can't sprint for a while after completely emptying the stamina bar, but yeah, it sometimes seems unresponsive.

Tarkus

I apologize. I thought it was a 100% drop. Turns out it's a fairly rare drop. At least you got one in NMW. My only problem with the sword is its weight. I do prefer the Zweihander that's right around the corner in the Iron Keep.12 units vs 22.

Top Bottom