• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Yep. My first time doing the Outskirts I died constantly and hated the place. I think I even caved in and summoned a friend for the two pets because I couldn't handle it solo. Later, on a different build (strength build) I decided to solo them, and using the red iron twinblade and a Brightbug I was able to take down the first tiger before the second even jumped down, so that worked out.

So when I was doing that Champion playthrough, I was terrified and postponed doing the Outskirts forever. My Champion was a faith build (it was quite strong before all the nerfs... xD he struggled in the DLCs though) using mostly Heide's Lance and lightning greatswords (lightning-infused claymore, and later Defender Greatsword). So since the Red Iron Twinblade worked out well on my STR I decided to use it again, this time infused with Lightning and buffed with Sunlight Blade. I did the whole Outskirts in one go, staggered the horses constantly with the twinblade so they were not a problem, didn't even die once. Used a brightbug, buffed my twinblade, and then wrecked the tigers. Had some close calls still, I'll admit; I think I had 0 estus left. xD But, the DPS was so good on that thing that I managed to kill the second tiger before it buffed itself (and got that annoying HP regen too) so that went really well. Felt so proud, lol.

Brightbugs are amazing, I use them on the harder bosses all the time now. :D They make a huge difference. I'm not skilled enough to do perfect, no-damage runs; I do try to not get hit, of course, but I am not good enough to be perfect at it, so the Brightbug making me take half the damage and dealing twice as much is a godsend against the DLC bosses.

I think I beat all bosses solo with the exception of Fume, Alonne(haven't fought him yet though, I hate the gauntlets to him) & Ivory King. I actually beat Aava in SotFS, not sure if they made her easier. Then again I was doing all the DLC the first time in NG+ where I summoned help for Fume, Aava and Ivory King, but this time did it in NG. RITB is SOOOO great, it has one of, if not the highest DPS.

Recently with my melee build for SotFS I was fighting
Throne Defender/Watcher
and this happened :(.
J7kQZGN.jpg
I decided to summon Benhart(not because they were too hard I thought I could get his armour set if I summoned him, he died like a scrub...)

Not entirely sure of peoples stance of spoiling tagging for this thread so I'm doing it just to be safe.

RiggyRob

Ahh, did it? That makes sense. I went into the Outskirts expecting something frustrating, unfair, and badly designed. Sounds like the Scholar version was much improved.

Are you for real? I never beat that optional boss in the original DaS 2, I tried like 3 or 4 times. I skipped that place in SotFS because I was like "NO! NOT AGAIN, I HAVE ENOUGH ANTLERS IN MY ASS!" so I went on and killed everything else.

Yeah, I've literally just done Frigid Outskirts now after summoning the three NPCs, and I managed to get to the boss on my third go once I'd figured out to let the horses attack them and how to bypass the human enemy. All in all, took maybe 20 minutes, including learning the route of where to go?

Wasn't too bad to be honest, I can imagine it's hell on your own though.

Novocaine

Playing the first Dark Souls on XBO at the moment. Strangely enough I'm really missing the 8 way rolling from DS2. It's been a long time since I've played anything other than DS2/BB. The rolls are just not going where I want them to.

GulAtiCa

Had 5 extra Red Eye Orbs on me, so decided to invade at top of Blume tower. Had 3 wins and 2 loses.

During one invasion, the guy was AFK at the bonfire. I had no corrosive urns on me.. So decided to see if I could scare the person by hiding myself (as a barrel) nearby and see if he would come back or not. Within a minute, he did. Didn't seem to notice I was around. But first thing I noticed was that he lag teleported. Should have taken that as a clue things would not go well. After he dropped down to the 1st area, I followed him. Tried to attack him, and did damage. But tough with him being so laggy. Eventually got myself killed. Damn, crazy amount of lag. Should have retreated and attacked from a distance or so.. Oh well.

My other lose was due to me following off the cliff. lol.

Wait, are you talking about the ones that come after
you open that suspicious chest in the middle of the room?
Yes. Little did I know the remaining level would be full of them, and hybrids later in its depths as well!

Horrid, nasty things! Loved traversing
the large spider web paths
to get to the boss though... See... It's the perfect example of what I love about this game. Sure, it's not as serious and "perfect" in terms of lore and content as DaS was, but at the same time it's just damn fun. An amalgamation that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, but always leaves you having fun and killing a lot of enemies.

Life's good. Souls is good. Souls is life.

Mistel

Banned
I'm on team 105. Don't let team 99 talk you into inferiority :p And remember, the back step in this game is SO useful.
105 AGL is so great. The three extra iframes are def worth it. ]
105 is definitely a good point for it you could go up to 108 for an extra backstep i frame but you could achieve that with the simpleton's ring lowering your stat investment.
Playing the first Dark Souls on XBO at the moment. Strangely enough I'm really missing the 8 way rolling from DS2. It's been a long time since I've played anything other than DS2/BB. The rolls are just not going where I want them to.
Don't lock on if you are it doesn't help with rolls.

RiggyRob

Episode 18, myself vs. Prowling Magus & Congregation: https://youtu.be/12yFzxTOecM

I can imagine this fight is incredibly easy with a wide ranged weapon where you can kill the crawling undead in one swing, but you can see I panicked quite a bit when I was getting pelted with lightning spears and the lock-on refused to play nice!

I quite like the concept of enemies having their own religious sect e.g. Blood-Starved Beast, it gives them an aspect of conscience/sentience you wouldn't normally know about before murdering them.

Mistel

Banned
I can imagine this fight is incredibly easy with a wide ranged weapon where you can kill the crawling undead in one swing, but you can see I panicked quite a bit when I was getting pelted with lightning spears and the lock-on refused to play nice!
Well it is a crutch nothing else.

Tarkus

Ugh, DS3 spoilers everywhere. It pisses me off that all kinds of people are playing it while I have to wait until the 12th, when maybe, Amazon delivers my day 1 edition. I broke down and watched a video of the first area. I couldn't stop watching. It looks great and loading times aren't bad on PS4.

GulAtiCa

I still have not seen anything of the game yet (except for a pic or clip here and there. Like that bad framerate clip that was made a few days ago).
I'm hoping to make it without seeing anything by launch.

Come to think of it, I went in blind for Dark Souls 2 as well. Besides the launch trailer, I knew nothing of it. But I also was a noob to DkS games. So was easier to aavoid back then when I wasn't as interested.

RiggyRob

Well it is a crutch nothing else.

The lock-on? I wouldn't call it a crutch, it's vital to aim certain attacks with the lock-on otherwise they'll whiff.

Ugh, DS3 spoilers everywhere. It pisses me off that all kinds of people are playing it while I have to wait until the 12th, when maybe, Amazon delivers my day 1 edition. I broke down and watched a video of the first area. I couldn't stop watching. It looks great and loading times aren't bad on PS4.

Here should be a safe refuge, which is a bit weird when people are asking about DS3 builds in this thread. Of course, it doesn't really matter for myself since I've already decided to wait for the eventual GOTY version with all the bug fixes in.

Yeah I've been trying to avoid as much as I can. Friends spoiled some features, but only like an item or two and like one feature that's not particularly game changing. I also saw a couple pics due to the Dark Souls page on my facebook feed. It unlocks on Steam April 11th :D. Not sure if that's when we can play, or when it becomes available for pre-load. I hope it's the former, we did have to wait a long ass time for the PC port of DaS 2.

Goddamn what is with all these petrified people all over the damn place?

It an honest annoyance, it railroading in every sense of the word. As opposed to being near free roam(base game had like what, 4 statues?), they're guiding you to where thy want you to go until you get an item to unblock the path.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It an honest annoyance, it railroading in every sense of the word. As opposed to being near free roam(base game had like what, 4 statues?), they're guiding you to where thy want you to go until you get an item to unblock the path.
Not really, since they give out far more branches far earlier. In the vanilla game you couldn't even reach Shaded Woods until you went deep into the Gutter, reached Sinner's Rise, or reached Harvest Valley, but now you can do it as soon as you meet Melentia.

There are more statues, but more branches, which means you have more options but you just have to make choices.

Not really, since they give out far more branches far earlier. In the vanilla game you couldn't even reach Shaded Woods until you went deep into the Gutter, reached Sinner's Rise, or reached Harvest Valley, but now you can do it as soon as you meet Melentia.

There are more statues, but more branches, which means you have more options but you just have to make choices.

but the problem is a lot of the times you don't know what areas are blocked. Many places get blocked and it railroads you until you get the branch. Plus didn't she always sell a branch?

GulAtiCa

Got myself a Poison Spotted Whip +5 to deal with annoying invaders who try to parry me. Combined with the moonlight butterfly set and rat ring + that gauntlit that adds +60 to poison, I'm ready.

Got invaded by a blue arbiter in the frozen dlc. Had that stupid parry sheild, so kept my whip out. He used a spear. Died from it, without it even touching me. These hitboxes can be sush bullshit sometimes..

Oh well. I did have him run away for a bit when I poisoned him. That was funny. I should have ran opposite way to make his job more annoying.

Tarkus

Got myself a Poison Spotted Whip +5 to deal with annoying invaders who try to parry me. Combined with the moonlight butterfly set and rat ring + that gauntlit that adds +60 to poison, I'm ready.

Got invaded by a blue arbiter in the frozen dlc. Had that stupid parry sheild, so kept my whip out. He used a spear. Died from it, without it even touching me. These hitboxes can be sush bullshit sometimes..

Oh well. I did have him run away for a bit when I poisoned him. That was funny. I should have ran opposite way to make his job more annoying.
You did always like a poison setup.

pa22word

Previous games (and ds3) are just as bad with knock down ladders you can just use a halberd or spear to pull down, or locked doors you could easily kick/knock down.

It's a video game *shrug*

Previous games (and ds3) are just as bad with knock down ladders you can just use a halberd or spear to pull down, or locked doors you could easily kick/knock down.

It's a video game *shrug*

You could pull down ladders in DaS 1? You couldn't break doors in DaS 1 and I tried kicking em, they never opened.

BTW, does anyone of a Soul of Vendrick/Kings Ultra Great Sword they wouldn't mind parting with? I want to powerstance em to help people fight NG bosses since they deal ridiculous amounts of damage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
but the problem is a lot of the times you don't know what areas are blocked. Many places get blocked and it railroads you until you get the branch. Plus didn't she always sell a branch?
No, she didn't sell it in the vanilla game.

You could pull down ladders in DaS 1? You couldn't break doors in DaS 1 and I tried kicking em, they never opened.
That's the point; the other games block you arbitrarily too even though you could easily smash the door instead of fussing with a key.

BTW, does anyone of a Soul of Vendrick/Kings Ultra Great Sword they wouldn't mind parting with? I want to powerstance em to help people fight NG bosses since they deal ridiculous amounts of damage.
Just use a bonfire ascetic?

No, she didn't sell it in the vanilla game.

That's the point; the other games block you arbitrarily too even though you could easily smash the door instead of fussing with a key.

Just use a bonfire ascetic?

OOOO okay I see now. He's talking about how it's stupid you CAN'T do those things, it clicks THE DOTS HAVE BEEN CONNECTED! Well, those aren't blocks per se, the ladders were shortcuts they wanted you to unlock, same with many doors you could still go to that place. These statues prevent you from advancing period.

I thought about that, but would I have to fight Vendrick again, or do I use it on the bonfire and it just respawns like all other items?

Tarkus

It's really not that bad with 4 Giant Souls. Probably less of a pain than fighting the Ancient Dragon for the 5th soul.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's really not that bad with 4 Giant Souls. Probably less of a pain than fighting the Ancient Dragon for the 5th soul.
Not really, in Scholar the Ancient Dragon is no longer even a threat and neither is the Shrine before it... 4 souls in NG+ difficulty might be tedious as hell.

Tarkus

Not really, in Scholar the Ancient Dragon is no longer even a threat and neither is the Shrine before it... 4 souls in NG+ difficulty might be tedious as hell.
He's got a little over 3000 more HP. That's about 7-9 hits with a decent large weapon. With King Vendrick's attack speed and predictable moveset, it's pretty easy and pain-free unless you just have to kill the Ancient Dragon.

To me, Dragon Shrine was much harder in Scholar.

He's got a little over 3000 more HP. That's about 7-9 hits with a decent large weapon. With King Vendrick's attack speed and predictable moveset, it's pretty easy and pain-free unless you just have to kill the Ancient Dragon.

To me, Dragon Shrine was much harder in Scholar.

Considering that one bad move could mean a OHK against Vendrick, I'd say that those extra hits possibly means the difference between victory and death.

And Ancient Dragon is really easy, with the proper startegy.

AmyS

Started playing on PS4. Still a total beginner at Souls games. Not far in, trying to overcome the huge Knights near Heide's Tower of Flame. Avoided some of them, rolled past and got to that red Knight but I had no chance. Should I be trying to get through the Forest of Fallen Giants first? I got the Crimson Parma shield. Feeling overwhelmed!

I remember I just cleared every enemy to Ancient Dragon. Buttload of souls, buttload of time.

I'ma power stance the KUGS but for the time being, what do you guys think is a good sword to pair with the KUGS? Greatsword +10, Fume Ultragreatsword +5, or Raw Dragontooth +5? Fume and Greatsword both have S scaling in STR, but Fume needs me to have 45 Dex and I hax 30 atm, so I'm using the Greatsword for now.

AmyS

Well, yeah, but there's far less of them to fight now, and the last few dragon knights were a pain to avoid when crossing the fog.

Yes, absolutely.

Alright, thanks.

xuuF710.jpg
H42bUTc.jpg

...........................................................................................................Man, and I thought ^ this ^ game was a challenge back in the day

Top Bottom