• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Episode 11, myself vs. Scorpioness Najka: https://youtu.be/bdRoOD29zIU

This fight's pretty standard and has a nice setup, but only if you have the Ring of Whispers to talk to Tark before-hand - you miss out on the context behind the fight if you don't, which seems like a bit of a waste to me. Was there a similar ring/item in the previous games?

Also, how the hell do you get the item up on the tree?

Nope, first time.

You can talk to him after to get a ring and another time when you beat Tseldora area boss

RiggyRob

Bait her into knocking it down. It's pretty inconsequential, though. Think it's a butterfly lantern.

Is that the only way to get it? I feel less bad for missing it now.

Nope, first time.

You can talk to him after to get a ring and another time when you beat Tseldora area boss

That's pretty interesting, it seems worthless at first glance (what's the point of being able to hear enemies when it doesn't tell you where they are and you're going to run into them anyway?) but it rewards you for at least attempting to talk to something that appears to be an enemy - I'm surprised it isn't required for Ornifex to be honest.

Buraindo

Is that the only way to get it? I feel less bad for missing it now.

That's pretty interesting, it seems worthless at first glance (what's the point of being able to hear enemies when it doesn't tell you where they are and you're going to run into them anyway?) but it rewards you for at least attempting to talk to something that appears to be an enemy - I'm surprised it isn't required for Ornifex to be honest.

I don't think the tree can be knocked down in any other way, but yeah I was very disappointed when I got the item.
Dark Souls also had a ring that served the same purpose.

Tarkus

The thrust attacks rank it that high for you even with it's low AR (Ignoring the rings you've got on which I remember from the Fume Sword discussion)?
This is true. It also has the poise damage of a greatsword with the speed and feel of a straight sword (2 handed). Low stamina drain as well with a true high S scaling in DEX. Even if you infuse it, the high S goes to a low S. Tremendous reduction in damage though. This one is absolutely best left uninfused.

It looks SO GOOD too.

Tarkus

Behold! Miss Tarkus and her beautiful greatsword.
sSZzr1o.jpg

Mistel

Banned
This is true. It also has the poise damage of a greatsword with the speed and feel of a straight sword (2 handed). Low stamina drain as well with a true high S scaling in DEX. Even if you infuse it, the high S goes to a low S. Tremendous reduction in damage though. This one is absolutely best left uninfused.

It looks SO GOOD too.
Well it's a big longsword more or less.

down 2 orth

Ok so I posted this in a lore thread, but it's already fizzled out. I would really like to hear what others think, especially about the first part:

Ok so I just finished DS2 and I'm almost done the last DLC.

Here's what I don't get (big spoilers): the theory that Vendrick took the dark route and apparently did not usher in a new Age of Fire (for better or worse). That idea makes it seem like his actions (even as a pawn) were decisive in changing or maintaining the course for humanity. But here's the thing: Vendrick's actions only influenced his kingdom, not humanity itself. All the other NPCs talk about the Drangleic area as if its an oddity removed from the rest of the realm, and they make it seem like the places they came from had no concept of an undead curse.

So here's what I think: I think the writers of the story and lore are simply imagining what it would be like to traverse the areas between limbo and hell for an imaginary fantasy setting, with an explicit rule to not tell the player that that's what's happening. It's an effective way to let the player feel a sense of dismay and curiosity contained within a shroud of mystery.

Mike M

Nick N
Ok so I posted this in a lore thread, but it's already fizzled out. I would really like to hear what others think, especially about the first part:

Ok so I just finished DS2 and I'm almost done the last DLC.

Here's what I don't get (big spoilers): the theory that Vendrick took the dark route and apparently did not usher in a new Age of Fire (for better or worse). That idea makes it seem like his actions (even as a pawn) were decisive in changing or maintaining the course for humanity. But here's the thing: Vendrick's actions only influenced his kingdom, not humanity itself. All the other NPCs talk about the Drangleic area as if its an oddity removed from the rest of the realm, and they make it seem like the places they came from had no concept of an undead curse.

So here's what I think: I think the writers of the story and lore are simply imagining what it would be like to traverse the areas between limbo and hell for an imaginary fantasy setting, with an explicit rule to not tell the player that that's what's happening. It's an effective way to let the player feel a sense of dismay and curiosity contained within a shroud of mystery.
That's an odd reading of it. Drangleic is the equivalent of Lordran, it affected all humanity. It's explicitly and repeatedly stated that people afflicted with the undead curse make pilgrimage there from elsewhere, seeking a cure, so I'm not sure where you're getting this.

I mean, it's the opening cinematic, even.

down 2 orth

That's an odd reading of it. Drangleic is the equivalent of Lordran, it affected all humanity. It's explicitly and repeatedly stated that people afflicted with the undead curse make pilgrimage there from elsewhere, seeking a cure, so I'm not sure where you're getting this.

I mean, it's the opening cinematic, even.

That's true for the first game, but I couldn't find any description of an affliction that affects humanity in the second game.

In the opening cinematic for the second game, the woman says only that 'you' will have a curse, and she makes it seem like you are the oddity. You will be branded with a curse according to her, there's no mention of anyone else. She talks about you going to a decrepit land that has been forgotten and says "Like a moth drawn to a flame, your wings will burn in anguish. Time after time. For that is your fate. The fate of the cursed."

Mike M

Nick N
That's true for the first game, but I couldn't find any description of an affliction that affects humanity in the second game.

In the opening cinematic for the second game, the woman says only that 'you' will have a curse, and she makes it seem like you are the oddity. You will be branded with a curse according to her, there's no mention of anyone else. She talks about you going to a decrepit land that has been forgotten and says "Like a moth drawn to a flame, your wings will burn in anguish. Time after time. For that is your fate. The fate of the cursed."
Still can't get where you're coming from on this.
The fire keeper sister said:
Heh heh heh… What seems to be the ruckus?
Ooh, my! Your face.
The face of the curse.
It's an Undead.
An Undead has come to play. Heh heh…
They all end up here, all the ones like you.
You spoke to that kind old dear, didn't you?
All people come here for the same reason.
To break the curse.
You're no different, I should think?

And that's just the first five minutes of the game, most of the characters you meet speak of/suffer from the curse. The curse is widespread for absolute 100% certainty beyond Drangleic.

Hell, the blacksmith is a hollow!

GulAtiCa

Little annoyed with people lately...

In the Ivory DLC, before trying to fight Aava, I tried to summon someone for co-op. As soon as they entered my world, they used their item to return to theirs.....

And then just to see what the Ivory King boss fight would be like. I put down my sign, and after being in their world in the boss fight for as bit. Both different players returned me to my world during the middle of the fight... What the hell? I know I don't fully know what's going on.. But at least with the 2nd guy, I was helping out...

down 2 orth

Still can't get where you're coming from on this.

And that's just the first five minutes of the game, most of the characters you meet speak of/suffer from the curse. The curse is widespread for absolute 100% certainty beyond Drangleic.

Hell, the blacksmith is a hollow!

I'm just trying to say that it's not explicitly stated that the curse affects humanity in the second game. It's more like some humans are "cursed" for the purpose of being potential candidates to become the Green Herald's chosen one.

The quote you mention even kind of reinforces this idea, because its a trickle of cursed undead migrating to Drangleic, not an exodus of hundreds of thousands of inhabitants from an entire continent.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm just trying to say that it's not explicitly stated that the curse affects humanity in the second game. It's more like some humans are "cursed" for the purpose of being potential candidates to become the Green Herald's chosen one.

The quote you mention even kind of reinforces this idea, because its a trickle of cursed undead migrating to Drangleic, not an exodus of hundreds of thousands of inhabitants from an entire continent.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree, then. To me, it's a very clear and nearly 1:1 correlation to the situation/purpose of Lordran (which didn't feature an exodus either, incidentally. It was never that all people become undead) and there's no diagenic reason to think the curse acts any differently in the sequel.

down 2 orth

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, then. To me, it's a very clear and nearly 1:1 correlation to the situation/purpose of Lordran (which didn't feature an exodus either, incidentally. It was never that all people become undead) and there's no diagenic reason to think the curse acts any differently in the sequel.

I think the problem is that the sequel doesn't really tie in its lore with the first game so well because of holes in the narrative. It's obviously designed to leave a lot of room for interpretation, but it kind of seems like the second game was meant to be in a totally different universe, but was later linked together by a few snippets of dialogue because the creators found out a little late that fans were deeply attached to the lore of the first game and expected to continue their exploration of it.

I respect your interpretation, and I don't think its wrong either. I think that the game's narration kind of just stumbles on itself in this area. The reason I mention exodus only relates to the quote you brought up:

"Heh heh heh… What seems to be the ruckus?
Ooh, my! Your face.
The face of the curse.
It's an Undead.
An Undead has come to play. Heh heh…
They all end up here, all the ones like you.
You spoke to that kind old dear, didn't you?
All people come here for the same reason.
To break the curse.
You're no different, I should think?"

The world with Lordran had an undead curse that affected all of humanity. Some pilgrims went to Lordran in an attempt to end that curse. In the case of Drangleic, only some cursed people seem to exist outside of the kingdom, and as the bolded part of the quotes show, all of them end up going to Drangleic in the end. I mention exodus because if the whole world was cursed, you would think that Drangleic would have a heck of a larger population.

6for8

Little annoyed with people lately...

In the Ivory DLC, before trying to fight Aava, I tried to summon someone for co-op. As soon as they entered my world, they used their item to return to theirs.....

And then just to see what the Ivory King boss fight would be like. I put down my sign, and after being in their world in the boss fight for as bit. Both different players returned me to my world during the middle of the fight... What the hell? I know I don't fully know what's going on.. But at least with the 2nd guy, I was helping out...

This is normal and not personal. Mild spoiler
They are farming loyce souls, 50 needed

GulAtiCa

Thanks, yeah after I posted that, seems this is super common... Which makes me wish they just go solo instead... Was right after the boss showed up for both. At least they get sin for sending me back at least. (Wish they also make it so if you did it too often, it would prevent you from doing online stuff)

I've been getting a lot more blues lately in the last DLC. Last one killed me without their great sword even touching me.. I don't mind dying in an invasion, in fact it gives me an Adrenalin rush just thinking of the possibility. But dying that was is such BS..

MUnited83

For you.
I mean, I like the boss fight, but my major point on putting my summon sign on the Ivory King part is to farm the Loyce Souls. I still help the host until the end.

6for8

Thanks, yeah after I posted that, seems this is super common... Which makes me wish they just go solo instead... Was right after the boss showed up for both. At least they get sin for sending me back at least. (Wish they also make it so if you did it too often, it would prevent you from doing online stuff)

I've been getting a lot more blues lately in the last DLC. Last one killed me without their great sword even touching me.. I don't mind dying in an invasion, in fact it gives me an Adrenalin rush just thinking of the possibility. But dying that was is such BS..

I could understand your frustration if they only dropped to the host but they drop to phantoms as well. In my experience the majority, hosts & phantoms, are looking to farm. Looking for a boss fight will require some patience.

Accumulating sin when using the black crystal can't be real. I have never been invaded by an arbitrator and have never had sin show on my character screen. This sounds like a sinner trying to cover up their trail of blood.

GulAtiCa

I would hope people get sin for being an ass and sending someone back. Such a rude thing to do. I get for that instance, just means the host is too scared to go it alone in farming. But more so in other situations where people are asses and send summons back.

I think some people forget that some of us (or all?) use co-op as a way to re-fill our Estus Flasks & Spells before a boss. So sending you back just means you wasted my time.

Also, did you do it 10 times? Cause that is the only time you will be invaded by a blue (and marked as a sinner).

I'm more annoyed that someone would put down their summon sign, and as soon as I summon them, they leave manually. What the fuck was that?... If you want to only play with a friend, use the damn name ring... Esp since this now means the area is 2X harder even with the summon gone..

(most of this rant is something I've disliked about what people sometimes do from ever since I played it since it launch 2 years ago)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I agree that they are asses. I tend to coop to refill Estus and/or revive to human so it's quite annoying, and even more bizarre are those who leave after being summoned. Like, why. The ring exists for a reason.

RiggyRob

Episode 12, myself vs. The Rotten: https://youtu.be/ZHCCPmVyGs0

This is another boss fight where I can't tell whether I like the similarity between this and Bloodborne's The One Reborn or not - it makes sense in Bloodborne where the citizens of Yarnham were used as part of the ritual to create a horrific monster, but here it just seems that the people of the Gutter were melded together with Pharros without any real reason or rhyme.

I'm also not sure what the meaning is behind finding Pharros contraptions and the poison spitting statues in various places such as the memory of the giants and the DLC areas - did Pharros travel all around the world putting them in? It would make sense in a way since chronologically it's the first time you see a portal to the DLC, but it makes it hard to believe he'd end up at the bottom of the Black Gulch if he travelled so far.

Tarkus

I've black crystal'd out of ganks on the IK bridge hundreds of times. I've only been invaded by a blue twice, probably because I killed Pate and the blue cathedral dude. Can't be true.

I've black crystal'd out of ganks on the IK bridge hundreds of times. I've only been invaded by a blue twice, probably because I killed Pate and the blue cathedral dude. Can't be true.

Probably you only was invaded by a blue twice, because being a blue sucks balls, and no one wants to be a blue if they actually want to invade people.

6for8

I would hope people get sin for being an ass and sending someone back. Such a rude thing to do. I get for that instance, just means the host is too scared to go it alone in farming. But more so in other situations where people are asses and send summons back.

I think some people forget that some of us (or all?) use co-op as a way to re-fill our Estus Flasks & Spells before a boss. So sending you back just means you wasted my time.

Also, did you do it 10 times? Cause that is the only time you will be invaded by a blue (and marked as a sinner).

I killed the boss the first time I met him and learned about the souls after. I had to farm them solo, me against 4 spawns. I wasn't scared, I was annoyed.
I have hosted a few loyce soul farming parties and would grab a random sign if available. After I sent them home I would ask if they wanted to continue, most would be all in with a few confused why I returned them. Explain what we were doing they always wanted to be included. Never ran into you or Stark though :)

That boss has a dedicated bonfire with no enemies on the way to the drop. You can replenish your spells and flasks there or kill the cat again. I have done a couple of no bonfire/no death runs and killing a boss as a phantom is how you would repair your gear and restock your flasks. Having a host spend 10 minutes looking for another sign then sending you home would make my eye twitch. This isn't that.

Acquiring sin with the black crystal? Using a character that had hosted a loyce party, traded weapons for consumables and some NPC murder on the side I sent a friend home 12 times (no name ring) and still wasn't a sinner. Case dismissed on that one.

RiggyRob

Episode 13, myself vs. Royal Rat Authority: https://youtu.be/eOCy-Qd-xeQ

I'm assuming that there's copies/homages to certain boss fights throughout all of the series, because seeing things like The Rotten/The One Reborn, Royal Rat Vanguard/Celestial Emissary and now Royal Rat Authority/Darkbeast Paarl is too much to be a coincidence.

I also had the chance to watch Matthewmatosis' video on DS2, and I have to agree that this fight is difficult just for the sake of it - there is absolutely no reason for there to be 4 extra rats in the room other than to screw up your lock on.

MUnited83

For you.
The more I play this the more I like it.

Like, I think Dark Souls 1 is a better overall game with better design.
But Dark Souls 2 is so much more fun. With all the improvements it comes with, and the fact that it doesn't ever reaches the lows of DS1, it makes me keeping coming back over and over.

Anon67

I know I am going to sound like an idiot but what do I do with boss souls in order to get boss "special" weapons? I've never touched boss souls in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls because I could never find out in-game how to use them and who to give them to. And what are embers used for? Sorry for my ignorance lol.

Mike M

Nick N
I know I am going to sound like an idiot but what do I do with boss souls in order to get boss "special" weapons? I've never touched boss souls in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls because I could never find out in-game how to use them and who to give them to. And what are embers used for? Sorry for my ignorance lol.
They're a couple vendors you can trade boss souls with for weapons and/or spells, their stock is pretty obvious.

Embers are used to unlock upgrade paths. DS2 only has the one.

RiggyRob

Episode 14, myself vs. Covetous Demon: https://youtu.be/uYyhue_EUnE

From one end of the difficulty spectrum to another - why is this even a boss? Alright, it makes sense that the prince coveted Mytha and so turned into a fat, slobby disgrace, but in the fight it's not even remotely threatening.

Did they decide to make him a lot easier before release? Cause shooting the guys in hanging pots so he's distracted and eats them, giving you a chance to attack, would make a lot more sense if he was harder to kill.

Episode 14, myself vs. Covetous Demon: https://youtu.be/uYyhue_EUnE

From one end of the difficulty spectrum to another - why is this even a boss? Alright, it makes sense that the prince coveted Mytha and so turned into a fat, slobby disgrace, but in the fight it's not even remotely threatening.

Did they decide to make him a lot easier before release? Cause shooting the guys in hanging pots so he's distracted and eats them, giving you a chance to attack, would make a lot more sense if he was harder to kill.

Be glad that they didn't put them adds to artificially make him harder.

RiggyRob

That's the thing, technically there are adds but they help you instead of hurting you. It's an interesting gimmick to the fight but it's under-utilised to the point of being completely pointless.

Vic_Viper

I've been having an issue on pc where my screen will freeze but my character can still move around and I can hear everything. Is this a common issue and if so is there a fix?

PC specs:
skylake i5
8 gigs DDR5 3000 ramm
Gtx 960
Win 10

Nvidia geforce exp has me at max settings atm. I'm going to try turning them down and see if that fixes it. It's sucks because it's happened twice after reversing from hollow and pretty much wasted it.

RiggyRob

You're also WAY overlevelled for that fight.

I didn't realise you could be overlevelled for it - it's not like Cleric Beast/Blood-starved Beast where you can skip them and come back to them later, you have to kill Covetous Demon to get through Earthen Keep -> Iron Keep -> Old Iron King to get the Great Soul.

It must be because I did The Gutter first.

Mistel

Banned
I didn't realise you could be overlevelled for it - it's not like Cleric Beast/Blood-starved Beast where you can skip them and come back to them later, you have to kill Covetous Demon to get through Earthen Keep -> Iron Keep -> Old Iron King to get the Great Soul.

It must be because I did The Gutter first.
You can be over levelled for fights in this because you can actually skip quite a lot of them you don't have to actually even get any of the greatsouls.

Top Bottom