• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, Shrine of Amana is some bullshit, specifically after the 3rd bonfire. "Here's a room full of water and all but invisible death chasms, with absolutely no actual level design, littered with magic-casters. Have fun!" No, it's not fun. At all. It just screams lazy.

Tarkus

Wow, Shrine of Amana is some bullshit, specifically after the 3rd bonfire. "Here's a room full of water and all but invisible death chasms, with absolutely no actual level design, littered with magic-casters. Have fun!" No, it's not fun. At all. It just screams lazy.
Lighting a torch will help you see the underwater cliff edges. I've also heard that you can increase the brightness in the settings to help you see better. Try the Rebel Greatshield for the casters.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lighting a torch will help you see the underwater cliff edges. I've also heard that you can increase the brightness in the settings to help you see better. Try the Rebel Greatshield for the casters.

Well, I got through there fine after a few tries. And then the boss was laughably easy, except for his one 1-shot kill move. Just an absolutely uninspired shithole, IMO.

It's pretty clear the makers of this game didn't quite "get it". They just throw arena-type rooms full of enemies at you, and pit you against a dark spirit every 15 minutes or so. Gets a bit tiring. I'm still enjoying the game, since while it's a mediocre Souls game it's still better than most of what's out there, but yeah. It's no DkS1, DeS, or BB.

EDIT: Also, this shit with multiple bosses (or one boss with a thousand little helpers) they keep doing, because they apparently can't come up with any that are good enough on their own. I'm pretty sure I'm now near the end of the game (I'm at
Throne Watcher/Defender
), and there hasn't been any nearly as cool as most bosses in DkS1. Just a ton of unmemorable ones.

RiggyRob

Episode 19, myself vs. The Duke's Dear Freja: https://youtu.be/8Tes4JdL0Rg

Now, if I'd known the torch trick to make the spiders not attack me, I'd have had a bit of an easier time with Freja! In fairness, having Boyd helped immensely anyway, it was more the re-attempts to finally get the Moonlight Greatsword that I had trouble with.

Still not entirely sure why Freja has two heads to be honest, unless it's something to do with the spiders having a skull on their back.

EDIT: Also, this shit with multiple bosses (or one boss with a thousand little helpers) they keep doing, because they apparently can't come up with any that are good enough on their own. I'm pretty sure I'm now near the end of the game (I'm at
Throne Watcher/Defender
), and there hasn't been any nearly as cool as most bosses in DkS1. Just a ton of unmemorable ones.

Yeah, what I noticed comparing this to Bloodborne is that there are a ton more bosses, some of which are totally unnecessary. I don't mind boss rushes, in fact I would've preferred the Bloodborne Chalice Dungeons to simply be boss rushes, but it feels like they should've taken more care/time with the bosses of the main game in DS2.

RiggyRob

Having just beat it myself by sprinting round with a two handed weapon to avoid the mob and hyper beam shot.... What torch trick??

If you have a torch out, no spiders in the entirety of Brightstone Cove Tseldora, including Freja's lair, will attack you. Makes it a lot fucking easier to get around the level when you've used a Bonfire Ascetic to get the MLGS/Crystal Soul Spear.

I get the feeling Freja was supposed to be an homage to the Armoured Spider in Demon's Souls, but at least that didn't have annoying additional spiders in the fight.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also, FUCK this run to the
Throne Watcher/Defender
. I mean, it's just a long run where absolutely NOTHING happens. There's no challenge, nothing to engage you, it merely wastes your time. Why? Terrible.

EDIT: Ok, and beating that boss did fucking nothing? That also seems to be a theme in this game. There are rather few things that make you feel like you are actually making progress, most of it is just "ok, so that did nothing, huh?". That amazingly rewarding feeling you often got in DkS1 is very rare here.

EDIT 2: The gate across the chasm in that boss room, can you get to it? Doesn't seem like it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I don't see why not, since the old thread is inactive, but if you have questions later down the line make sure to remind us you're playing the non-Scholar version.

Yeah, this thread is really active. The other thread is dead as can be. I mean, last post was Feb 3rd or so and only has 7 new posts in 2016..

So, feel free to post here/etc. Just keep in mind that while the main core game is the same. A lot of item/enemy/etc placements are different between the versions.

Cool! Like I said, I just started the game, and so far my impression is that the start is the most tricky of the Souls Ive played so far (Demons and Dark1). In both of those you ha limited choices and it made sense how to start, but here I am pretty lost. Three ways forward, that all seems pretty hard. Probably doesnt help that I started as an Explorer with only a useless dagger and no shield. I did manage to beat the ogre early on though (for a seemingly pretty decent ring), although it took me ten minutes and both estus. Anyways, nice to back into soul-hunting!

Mistel

Banned
Also, FUCK this run to the
Throne Watcher/Defender
. I mean, it's just a long run where absolutely NOTHING happens. There's no challenge, nothing to engage you, it merely wastes your time. Why? Terrible.

EDIT: Ok, and beating that boss did fucking nothing? That also seems to be a theme in this game. There are rather few things that make you feel like you are actually making progress, most of it is just "ok, so that did nothing, huh?". That amazingly rewarding feeling you often got in DkS1 is very rare here.

EDIT 2: The gate across the chasm in that boss room, can you get to it? Doesn't seem like it.
You've not actually got what you need yet there's another route you need to go first before you can access it.
It's nice for racing phantoms :p
That too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I tell people this all the time and nobody believes me. Harder than any souls game easily.
Agreed. Most old-school, 8-and-16-bit games were generally harder than any Souls games, and the particularly hard (even for the time) ones are fucking brutal. Talking about games like Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Chakan, Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

Tarkus

Agreed. Most old-school, 8-and-16-bit games were generally harder than any Souls games, and the particularly hard (even for the time) ones are fucking brutal. Talking about games like Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Chakan, Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden, etc.
I played Super G&G, Gaiden, and Battletoads when I was younger. Didn't get that far into any of them. There was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game that was hard as fuck too. I can imagine the original G&G being ridiculous.

Morfeo

I played Super G&G, Gaiden, and Battletoads when I was younger. Didn't get that far into any of them. There was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game that was hard as fuck too. I can imagine the original G&G being ridiculous.

Ninja Gaiden is easier than its reputation imo, only annoyance is how you get thrown back three level if loosing at the final boss - but even guy isnt that hard. Battletoads, Turtles and Ghost and Ghoblins are all bullshit though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You've not actually got what you need yet there's another route you need to go first before you can access it.

That's another thing. I feel like this game is even more opaque regarding what you're even supposed to do. DkS1 had a progressing that felt rather natural, as you opened up new areas by doing various things, etc. It somewhat organically led you to where you needed to go, even if you could do things in different orders. But this feels more like "just explore everything, maybe you'll stumble upon the next important bit eventually". Yeah, all Souls game are like that to some degree, but here I feel it's taken to the extreme. Like, after you've got the
King's Ring
, are you just supposed to remember everything it opens? I did remember that one, but clearing that area and beating the boss resulted in absolutely nothing happening as far as I could tell. Did I even need to do it? Fuck if I know. Just another boss soul in my inventory, who knows for what. I feel like I should be close to the end of the game, but I have no idea where to actually go for that. Toward the end of DkS1 you knew, here it's just ???.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You got a special item after defeating that boss. Read its item description and it should clue you in.

As for remembering the King's Ring... sure, you should have remembered somewhat? How is this different than, say, a Metroidvania? "How am I supposed to remember where I can open this door/double-jump to higher places/open up whatever"?

I really don't see the problem. Once you get the Lordvessel you do get a cut scene showing you the orange doors, but let's say you pick one, do the level, then you might not remember where the others were. Oh well, explore and figure it out.

Morfeo

It stops at 50% naturally and 75% with this ring. You can access Heide's Tower from the start.

Ok thank! Right now in the forest of giants or whatever the name is. Can I speak with the knight? Dont want to try attacking him at my current level lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You got a special item after defeating that boss. Read its item description and it should clue you in.

As for remembering the King's Ring... sure, you should have remembered somewhat? How is this different than, say, a Metroidvania? "How am I supposed to remember where I can open this door/double-jump to higher places/open up whatever"?

I really don't see the problem. Once you get the Lordvessel you do get a cut scene showing you the orange doors, but let's say you pick one, do the level, then you might not remember where the others were. Oh well, explore and figure it out.

Yes, the orange fog gates were a bit like that, in that I thought it was slightly annoying that I was expected to just remember where they were (or otherwise simply explore EVERYTHING to find them), but at least there was a cutscene showing them, so you knew how many there were, etc. Nothing like that here. You just get a ring, and then it's "fuck you" if you don't already know exactly what to do with it.

Morfeo

Finally got myself a short sword so that I can drop the dagger i started with. Now goes four to two hits to take down regular enemies in this area - nice! Had to grind a bit to have good enough stats to wield it though.

Anyways, one really cool thing I just noticed, is the similarity between the ruins here and the outer wall of Boletaria in Demons Souls (1-1). Anybody think that is by design, or just my mind playing tricks on me?

Edit: Mean a destroyed Boletaria after centuries of decay though.

Nerokis

I feel like I should be close to the end of the game, but I have no idea where to actually go for that. Toward the end of DkS1 you knew, here it's just ???.

You'll know. You still have a decent stretch to go through. Talk to some NPCs; I remember the cat, Nashandra, or the Emerald Herald gave a hint as to where to go after getting the King's Ring. I could be wrong, though.

Mistel

Banned
Finally got myself a short sword so that I can drop the dagger i started with. Now goes four to two hits to take down regular enemies in this area - nice! Had to grind a bit to have good enough stats to wield it though.

Anyways, one really cool thing I just noticed, is the similarity between the ruins here and the outer wall of Boletaria in Demons Souls (1-1). Anybody think that is by design, or just my mind playing tricks on me?

Edit: Mean a destroyed Boletaria after centuries of decay though.
It's believed that it's Vinheim but I can sort of see why you'd think Boletaria.
Yes, the orange fog gates were a bit like that, in that I thought it was slightly annoying that I was expected to just remember where they were (or otherwise simply explore EVERYTHING to find them), but at least there was a cutscene showing them, so you knew how many there were, etc. Nothing like that here. You just get a ring, and then it's "fuck you" if you don't already know exactly what to do with it.
Well although it's far more abstract it's a lot easier to find the king gates than the yellow fog gates unless you never went off the beaten path. Though it's understandable how a cutscene would help.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You'll know. You still have a decent stretch to go through. Talk to some NPCs; I remember the cat, Nashandra, or the Emerald Herald gave a hint as to where to go after getting the King's Ring. I could be wrong, though.

Man, this game is long. Like, too long. It just feels like they've made SO MUCH not very interesting content to pad out the interesting bits that are there. Oh well, just gotta keep going. I want to finish this before III is released.

Well although it's far more abstract it's a lot easier to find the king gates than the yellow fog gates unless you never went off the beaten path. Though it's understandable how a cutscene would help.

I know I've seen them, but I don't remember exactly how many or where they are. So yay?

Morfeo

It's believed that it's Vinheim but I can sort of see why you'd think Boletaria.

Interesting, looking forward to go on and see why its supposedly Vinhelm.

I remember you from the original Dark Souls-community btw, nice to see there are some known faces still hanging around :)

Anyways, just got myself a shield which seemed pretty useless, so think Im going to continue on without equipping it for now. Also unlocked the blacksmith (yey), so its probably grinding and upgrading weapon-time. One question though, is the move-set more or less the same here as in Demons and Dark? I used to really love the falchion in demons souls (that magic+4), so kinda want to see how far I can get with one in this game.

Nerokis

Man, this game is long. Like, too long. It just feels like they've made SO MUCH not very interesting content to pad out the interesting bits that are there. Oh well, just gotta keep going. I want to finish this before III is released.

For what it's worth, some of the last few areas are quite cool. Guessing you aren't going to do the DLC, if you're already so anxious to be done with DS2?

"The nature of your being has changed" - glad to be back to this cryptic bullshit lol.

Haha. Check what's under your armor.

Tarkus

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the largest and most obscure Souls game in terms of story and world. Trying to complete it in three weeks before DSIII comes out doesn't do you or the legacy of the game much good. The PvP and Co-op in this games are light years beyond any other SoulsBorne game. 3 weeks of trying to rush and complete the game makes you miss out on all that's special.

Mistel

Banned
Interesting, looking forward to go on and see why its supposedly Vinhelm.

I remember you from the original Dark Souls-community btw, nice to see there are some known faces still hanging around :)

Anyways, just got myself a shield which seemed pretty useless, so think Im going to continue on without equipping it for now. Also unlocked the blacksmith (yey), so its probably grinding and upgrading weapon-time. One question though, is the move-set more or less the same here as in Demons and Dark? I used to really love the falchion in demons souls (that magic+4), so kinda want to see how far I can get with one in this game.
The falchion has a somewhat similar moveset with most of the core moves to dark souls lacking some of the evasive moves however but bleed returns from demons. Althouh you might prefer the manikin same which has the same moveset as the falchion with stronger bleed and is stronger over all but it requires some farming. There's also a STR version available later into the game.

Morfeo

Haha. Check what's under your armor.

LOL, looking forward to check it out tomorrow!

The falchion has a somewhat similar moveset with most of the core moves to dark souls lacking some of the evasive moves however but bleed returns from demons. Althouh you might prefer the manikin same which has the same moveset as the falchion with stronger bleed and is stronger over all but it requires some farming. There's also a STR version available later into the game.

Thanks! Definitely mostly interested in a sword that has decent scaling with dext, so probably going with the Falchion then. Although right now i dont have the stats to use it, so bought a long sword instead for now. Just hope Ill eventually find an endless supply of basic crafting materials.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the largest and most obscure Souls game in terms of story and world. Trying to complete it in three weeks before DSIII comes out doesn't do you or the legacy of the game much good. The PvP and Co-op in this games are light years beyond any other SoulsBorne game. 3 weeks of trying to rush and complete the game makes you miss out on all that's special.

SoulsBorne, pretty cool abbreviation!

Mistel

Banned
Thanks! Definitely mostly interested in a sword that has decent scaling with dext, so probably going with the Falchion then. Although right now i dont have the stats to use it, so bought a long sword instead for now. Just hope Ill eventually find an endless supply of basic crafting materials.
As you're going DEX you should know it's weaker scaling this time around than STR, you will do it's a bit later on though until unlimited materials.

Morfeo

As you're going DEX you should know it's weaker scaling this time around than STR, you will do it's a bit later on though until unlimited materials.

What do you mean? Are dex-weapons scaling worse than str-weapons or did I completely misunderstand you?

Mistel

Banned
What do you mean? Are dex-weapons scaling worse than str-weapons or did I completely misunderstand you?
That's what I mean DEX scaling is weaker than that of STR so DEX weapons do a bit less than quality or pure STR scaling weapons. They're still viable but your returns are less.

I only ever played Ninja Gaiden: Black and from what I remember that game is difficult as balls, the two tank fight mahn! Also many games were harder back int he day due to no checkpoints. Altered Beast, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, are amongst the games I played a lot as a kid and could never beat until I got the Ultimate Genesis Collection on Xbox and could save :p.

Btw, I generally don't do this, but I don't wanna waste what little Fragrant Branches I currently have. In Aldia's Keep there's two statues, do they drop anything when you unpetrify em and kill em?

Hypron

3 weeks is plenty of time to finish the game unless you only play a few hours a week. A lot of people finished within days of launch. Now replaying it over and over is something I find very fun but it's not required.

Novocaine

I only ever played Ninja Gaiden: Black and from what I remember that game is difficult as balls, the two tank fight mahn! Also many games were harder back int he day due to no checkpoints. Altered Beast, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, are amongst the games I played a lot as a kid and could never beat until I got the Ultimate Genesis Collection on Xbox and could save :p.

Btw, I generally don't do this, but I don't wanna waste what little Fragrant Branches I currently have. In Aldia's Keep there's two statues, do they drop anything when you unpetrify em and kill em?

There's enough fragrant branches in each play through to use on all of the petrified characters and they aren't that hard to find so don't stress too much. The same is not true for Pharro's lock stones though.

AmyS

I'm slowwwwwwly progressing, grinding, leveling up, not really sure about anything. Going back & forth from Forest of the Fallen Giants, fighting soldiers, collecting souls. grinding. This is what I should be doing, right? I'd like to get to the point where I can fight that long limbed giant boss with no face. lol.

My build is a Sorcerer and I don't have the right attributes to use the Twin Dragon Greatshield I bought. Need strength of 20, fuck. Best weapon is the foot soldier sword I got, but it's at the breaking point or whatever (my weapons are weak, old man!).

RiggyRob

I'm slowwwwwwly progressing, grinding, leveling up, not really sure about anything. Going back & forth from Forest of the Fallen Giants, fighting soldiers, collecting souls. grinding. This is what I should be doing, right? I'd like to get to the point where I can fight that long limbed giant boss with no face. lol.

My build is a Sorcerer and I don't have the right attributes to use the Twin Dragon Greatshield I bought. Need strength of 20, fuck. Best weapon is the foot soldier sword I got, but it's at the breaking point or whatever (my weapons are weak, old man!).

Starting out as a Sorcerer, it's going to take wayyyyyyyy too long to grind for the levels for 20 Strength before the giant boss. You can kill him now, you just need to time your rolls well.

GulAtiCa

I finished the 3rd DLC last night. Frigid outskirts was kinda annoying.. Really, all 3 of those extra areas in each DLC were annoying, for different reasons. This time just the snow storms and the reindeer.. Though, I finally said screw this and summoned all 3 NPCs. That makes things much for enjoyable/easy. I actually got 2 invasions by the same blue arbiter during this time, by the same person nonetheless. :lol 1st time he just left right away, which I obviously don't blame him.

So, now all I need to do is make sure I have all spells I can normally get right now as well as any missing rings/etc. Then, it's off to NG+ tio speed through to NG++. I already have like 5 million souls, so I can just skip right to the Shrine of Winter to bypass the four primal bonfires.

My first attempt at my first chosen DLC, the Sunken City... Fuck Shulva fuck this bullshit fucking small ledges fucking maces, I became quite angry after two hours and finally getting to the Dragon's Sanctum- only to be slayed by
fucking living ghost shades.

After coasting in the last two or three areas it's reminding me so much of how Dark Souls renders you into a bloody pulp. I can't imagine how I'll even come close to grabbing all the items here, there's so many so far away!

Loved these stones though:

468px-Statues1.jpg

GulAtiCa

My first attempt at my first chosen DLC, the Sunken City... Fuck Shulva fuck this bullshit fucking small ledges fucking maces, I became quite angry after two hours and finally getting to the Dragon's Sanctum- only to be slayed by
fucking living ghost shades.

Hint:
Destroy their tomb. Each ghost has a nearby body in a coffen/etc. Destroy it, and the ghost will return to solid form forever.
(Spoiler related to your would be slayer and it's solution. Not really that big of a spoiler, just an "Oh!" moment when you realize it)

Onemic

So what's the honest opinion of DS2:SotFS? Is it better than Bloodborne? The worst souls game?

I just beat Bloodborne, and while I thought it was a great game, I really did miss the countless armor/weapon/item/Character build options that I had in the souls series.(Even though I've never beaten a single souls game in my life)

Top Bottom