• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There, I'm done. Didn't do everything (none of the DLC, for one), but I feel rather full on this game at the moment. Perhaps I'll come back and do a more complete run at some later point (or just keep this one going, as it doesn't automatically go into NG+), but for now I'm gonna focus on other games entirely until DkS3 is out.

Overall I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as any of the other Soulsborne games. It just didn't grab me the same way. I wouldn't recommend against playing it, but yeah. Fine game, mediocre Souls game.

My weapon of choice throughout the whole thing (after using the Fire Longsword in the early game, which did well for me there) ended up being the Craftsman's Hammer, which I eventually maxed out at +5. Not a spectacular weapon by any means, but with quite a few points put into Str it pretty much destroyed everything (including the final boss) without being particularly slow or unwieldy. A basic but fine smashing tool.

Wastes a ring slot I could use for something else. Plus, this way I get more spell usages. I should note I am already at 60. So using 34 levels out of 50 isn't much. Prob should also mention this character is more for me getting platinum. I used to wear that ring early on, but not needed anymore (unless I get a 2nd Forbidden Sun lol). Not really doing duals, more PvP invasions (both to and from). Since SL is meaningless in that regard, won't matter what level I am at. My Soul Memory is already so high, that I've reached a period where my summon & invasion circle is huge reaching.

Since I'll still have like 2 weeks or so after getting platinum, I can see myself making a lv 150 or even a lv 100 (Soul Memory equivalent of that, that is) and making a char for doing invasions. Getting Red Invasion Orbs will be a pain though. Doing a Blue Arbiter would be easier to do invasions, but not as much fun lol.

You get a buttload for doing the game, I think I had 40 at one point. Gave em to a friend though. I picked up 5 more recently though.

I suppose. What other rings are you using?

There, I'm done. Didn't do everything (none of the DLC, for one), but I feel rather full on this game at the moment. Perhaps I'll come back and do a more complete run at some later point (or just keep this one going, as it doesn't automatically go into NG+), but for now I'm gonna focus on other games entirely until DkS3 is out.

Overall I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as any of the other Soulsborne games. It just didn't grab me the same way. I wouldn't recommend against playing it, but yeah. Fine game, mediocre Souls game.

My weapon of choice throughout the whole thing (after using the Fire Longsword in the early game, which did well for me there) ended up being the Craftsman's Hammer, which I eventually maxed out at +5. Not a spectacular weapon by any means, but with quite a few points put into Str it pretty much destroyed everything (including the final boss) without being particularly slow or unwieldy. A basic but fine smashing tool.

Ye it wasn't the best souls game, but it was still okay in some regards. Level design was very poor until the DLC, and bosses were subpar compared to DaS 1. The DLC bosses were great(except the optional ones which sucked and were poorly designed).

You missed an opportunity to say the hammer was a smashing tool...

BTW I've been doing summon help for the final boss of the third DLC. Sometimes the boss just randomly stands there and does nothing at all. One time they did it at 25% health another time they had 80% health and we just kept smacking it. Is this a glitch or I'm I play with teh hackers D:?

RiggyRob

Episode 20, myself vs. Dragonriders x2: https://youtu.be/1gNKx4irZ3c

This, I think, is the height of the laziness behind the designers of the bosses in this game. A literal copy and paste job - they must have been thinking "Well, we need a boss fight here! What can we do?!" and someone piped up with "Why not just put a Dragonrider there...and then add another one?"

Genius.

Episode 20, myself vs. Dragonriders x2: https://youtu.be/1gNKx4irZ3c

This, I think, is the height of the laziness behind the designers of the bosses in this game. A literal copy and paste job - they must have been thinking "Well, we need a boss fight here! What can we do?!" and someone piped up with "Why not just put a Dragonrider there...and then add another one?"

Genius.

You're gonna find even more laziness later on :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You're gonna find even more laziness later on :p
Referring to
Smelter v2
and
Lud & Zallen
, I take it?

I don't think so, every other boss in the game isn't literally two of the same enemy. Sure, there's another copy and paste job, but it's not as blatant as having two Dragonriders in the same damn fight.
Heheh. Oh you sweet summer child.

Well, at least it's two of them instead of a direct reskin, like Asylum/Stray/Firesage Demon! xD

Referring to
Smelter v2
and
Lud & Zallen
, I take it?

Well, at least it's two of them instead of a direct reskin, like Asylum/Stray/Firesage Demon! xD

Yup. Also, referring to
Flexile becoming a resapwning mini-boss
and
Dragonrider showing up twice with a buttload of health each time

RiggyRob

Referring to
Smelter v2
and
Lud & Zallen
, I take it?

Yup. Also, referring to
and

Oh yeah, I wasn't taking the DLC into account, because obviously they got a chance to be a bit more creative there. In fact, for the Ivory King DLC,
Lud, Zallen and Aava all being ice tigers makes sense

As for
Flexile Sentry and Dragonrider becoming standard enemies
, I like that. It's a nice way of demonstrating that your character has become that much more powerful because these creatures that were bosses are now just normal obstacles to get past, like Blood-Starved Beast.

Belfry Gargoyles being multiples of the same gets a pass because it's designed that way (and also because I haven't played Dark Souls 1), same way Royal Rat Vanguard is acceptable because it's a game of 'find the right one'.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yup. Also, referring to
and
Like Taurus and Capra in Demon Ruins? I don't see a problem with a former boss enemy becoming a regular enemy, tbh.

Smelter v2 and the Asylum Demon reskins
were lame as hell, though.

Like Taurus and Capra in Demon Ruins? I don't see a problem with a former boss enemy becoming a regular enemy, tbh.

Smelter v2 and the Asylum Demon reskins
were lame as hell, though.

Yeah but that made sense. They're demons that escaped from Lost Izalith.
I do like the idea that fighting em again shows how strong you've become, but I just how how much health Dragonrider has on NG+.

Spoiler for end boss of Crown of the Ivory King
Holy shit those Loyce Soldiers give a buttload of souls. I'm helping people fight Ivory King since I suck too much to do it solo and I don't wanna summon help. and I get about 22k souls from him. I get over 80k souls from the Loyce Soliders, farming heaven man!

Is this worth playing before DS3? I've enjoyed Demon's, DS1, and Bloodborne, but for some reason this never caught my eye. Is this enjoyable enough to keep me occupied by the time DS3 comes out, or will I just burn out on Souls?( If that's possible.)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
After some fun in Heides Tower, I went back to clean up in the Forest of Giants, and found the sleeping knight again. He went down before he was able to raise up, and dropped a decent-looking sword, Heide Knight Sword. It has only 125 base attack (a bit less than the 145 my broadsword+3 i use), however the value "total reduction" is at 255 which is slightly higher than the broadsword. But i have no idea what that means. Any advice here? Also, is this a decent sword to start upgrading for late-game, or am i better of sticking with the broadsword?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
After some fun in Heides Tower, I went back to clean up in the Forest of Giants, and found the sleeping knight again. He went down before he was able to raise up, and dropped a decent-looking sword, Heide Knight Sword. It has only 125 base attack (a bit less than the 145 my broadsword+3 i use), however the value "total reduction" is at 255 which is slightly higher than the broadsword. But i have no idea what that means. Any advice here? Also, is this a decent sword to start upgrading for late-game, or am i better of sticking with the broadsword?
I don't know what you are referring to with "total reduction"... but Heide's Sword is a decent starting weapon and on a faith build, can carry you for a long time.

Morfeo

I don't know what you are referring to with "total reduction"... but Heide's Sword is a decent starting weapon and on a faith build, can carry you for a long time.

It is the fifth skill on the sword. After total attack, shot range, casting speed and poise damage.

Another question, there is this item down in the vally outside of the cardinal tower entrance, its up on some wodden structure that i cant get to. Is this something im getting later, or do i need to look for a place to jump? Also, will i survive the fire cavern, or do i need something (a ring for instance) before i can enter there?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It is the fifth skill on the sword. After total attack, shot range, casting speed and poise damage.
Sorry, I'm even more confused... which part of that screen would it be? This is the weapon screen I know:
US3e1hI.png

It sounds like you might be talking about the damage reduction when blocking with the sword, but the 255 number doesn't make much sense to me then.

Another question, there is this item down in the vally outside of the cardinal tower entrance, its up on some wodden structure that i cant get to. Is this something im getting later, or do i need to look for a place to jump? Also, will i survive the fire cavern, or do i need something (a ring for instance) before i can enter there?
1) You get there much later.
2) You can go into the fire cavern with the silvercat ring (the one that reduces falling damage, you buy it from Shalquoir, the cat NPC in Majula), but the enemies will be very very tough early on. You can mitigate that with poison somewhat but I wouldn't recommend dropping down there right away.
If you mean the small cavern opening where a fire salamander throws fireballs at you, you can go there and grab the items quickly and avoid getting hit, you'll be OK. The full cavern though is much harsher.

Morfeo

Sorry, I'm even more confused... which part of that screen would it be? This is the weapon screen I know:
US3e1hI.png

It sounds like you might be talking about the damage reduction when blocking with the sword, but the 255 number doesn't make much sense to me then.

1) You get there much later.
2) You can go into the fire cavern with the silvercat ring (the one that reduces falling damage, you buy it from Shalquoir, the cat NPC in Majula), but the enemies will be very very tough early on. You can mitigate that with poison somewhat but I wouldn't recommend dropping down there right away.
If you mean the small cavern opening where a fire salamander throws fireballs at you, you can go there and grab the items quickly and avoid getting hit, you'll be OK. The full cavern though is much harsher.

Thanks a lot for the answers, i meant the small cavern opening yeah, going to check it out now!

About the numbers, I see it when i look at the weapon in the inventory (sorry for the crappy mobile pic of the tv):

cn9Rdtr.jpg

Im talking about the fifth stat here, 255, slightly blue.

Thanks a lot for the answers, i meant the small cavern opening yeah, going to check it out now!

About the numbers, I see it when i look at the weapon in the inventory (sorry for the crappy mobile pic of the tv):

Im talking about the fifth stat here, 255, slightly blue.

Total damage reduction across all types. If you press the button that brings up your gesture menu when you're looking at a weapons stats you'll get a little infobox, move it around and it tells what each symbol means

Sandfox

I'm about to open my copy of the original Dark Souls 2 I got as a gift two years ago as my first Souls game to get a taste before 3 comes out and I make a decision there.

Morfeo

Total damage reduction across all types. If you press the button that brings up your gesture menu when you're looking at a weapons stats you'll get a little infobox, move it around and it tells what each symbol means

This is what I did, but I still dont understand exactly what it means.

Mistel

Banned
And what does it do? Its called "total reduction" with the help menu. Is it just the same as stability? So, for defensive use then?
Well it is the icon used for stability so it means that they reused the icon to mean different things it just telling you the total damage reduction of the broadsword but the inventory is useless for looking at weapons the equipment menu is better to be honest I never bothered with that inventory for weapons.

This is what I did, but I still dont understand exactly what it means.

if you were you two hand your left-handed weapon and press R1 you block, what that tells you is the total amount of damage reduction that weapon is capable of. It's a very useless number since it's combining the amount of physical, fire, dark, etc reduction you would get if you blocked with that weapon.

Morfeo

Well it is the icon used for stability so it means that they reused the icon to mean different things it just telling you the total damage reduction of the broadsword but the inventory is useless for looking at weapons the equipment menu is better to be honest I never bothered with that inventory for weapons.

if you were you two hand your left-handed weapon and press R1 you block, what that tells you is the total amount of damage reduction that weapon is capable of. It's a very useless number since it's combining the amount of physical, fire, dark, etc reduction you would get if you blocked with that weapon.

Ok thanks, completely useless for a n00b like me at least. Btw, went back and found a door I had overseen - which took me right back to that flying knight. This time it was a boss fight, but a pathetic one, so he was killed using two estuses on my first try. Now on to new adventures!

Ok thanks, completely useless for a n00b like me at least. Btw, went back and found a door I had overseen - which took me right back to that flying knight. This time it was a boss fight, but a pathetic one, so he was killed using two estuses on my first try. Now on to new adventures!

Are you talking about purser? He's supposed to be fought relatively early. Basically after The Last Giant.

Mistel

Banned
Have you guys ever had that moment, where you got something one playthrough but you don't remember how?
What have you forgotten?
It's completely useless for everyone really the one Morrigan showed you is much more informative.

What have you forgotten?

It's completely useless for everyone really the one Morrigan showed you is much more informative.

I couldn't find the key that let me get to the optional area of Crown of the Ivory King. I did it my first playthrough of that area back when it came out. Had to google it, then was like o yea...how did I miss this area?!

Morfeo

Heh, pretty cool that he gave you no trouble. He's typically one of the first stumbling blocks for new players.

I dont know why, he did have a lot of hitpoints, but all his attacks were easy to predict, so it was all a grind really. Maybe its my experience with Dark Souls1/Demons Souls thats helping me here.

Just did the part of Lost Bastille that i could, but didnt had to much souls, so didnt want to risk the boss. Probably trying him on tomorrow!

Mistel

Banned
I couldn't find the key that let me get to the optional area of Crown of the Ivory King. I did it my first playthrough of that area back when it came out. Had to google it, then was like o yea...how did I miss this area?!
Well considering it appeared in your inventory that's understandable.

SoulUnison

Banned
So I recently learned about how creating a character in Steam Big Picture Mode allows you to bypass the character name length limit, and I've been having an unusual amount of fun giving characters NPC like names, dressing them up in matching sets, placing my signs in little nooks and crannies the way you find NPC Summon signs, and following whoever summons me around closely to try not to break the illusion.

I love the idea that people summon me and I can help them out and they might not even realize I'm another actual person.

Dereck

I'm in the first part of the game before the first boss, what am I supposed to do when my weapon ends being close to breaking before I get to the boss and I only have one Estus Flask

I'm in the first part of the game before the first boss, what am I supposed to do when my weapon ends being close to breaking before I get to the boss and I only have one Estus Flask
Weapons gain all their durability back when you rest at a bonfire. You should have opened a shortcut that lets you get to the boss super quickly. You can also carry around either repair powder, or get the repair sorcery which I think you get later though.

Oh that one, I thought that the getting the bone fist is harder than the key least it's more complicated.

Yeah, first time I did the DLC I found it, even figured out how to get in. This time around I couldn't even find the place, till I Googled where to go.

Bone fist is awesome hadoken for days.

Honestly fuck fromsoft and their god awful frigid outskirts bullshit. For serious, I don't move during the blizzard and assholes still spawn.

Going through the DLC areas finally.

Sunken King was pretty good, nice boss fights too.

Old Iron King I really loved the base level and the Fume Knight, but doing the optional parts now and fuck, I'm ready to just give up.
Sir Alonne seems like a cool fight, but the area leading up to him is just too long and annoying and makes practicing him take way too much time.
And fuck the Iron Passage completely.

Might just skip them and start up Ivory King (which I hear has a challenge area that's just as bad or worse?).

Top Bottom