• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

pa22word

Umm, I didn't say everyone should spoiler tag everything. I said I appreciate it when it happens. Two very different things.

Dunno why you responded to my post then.

Spoiler tagging is one thing, suddenly demanding basic words of the english language be censored because they might tangentially reveal the name of an area at some point in the game is insanity. At that point we might as well post our entire posts as nothing more than giant white bars.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno why you responded to my post then.

Spoiler tagging is one thing, suddenly demanding basic words of the english language be censored because they might tangentially reveal the name of an area at some point in the game is insanity. At that point we might as well post our entire posts as nothing more than giant white bars.

I responded because you were criticizing someone for spoiler tagging an area name. If someone wants to spoiler tag an area name then that's fine as far as I'm concerned. I definitely appreciate it if it's an area I've never been to.

You were able to understand what he was talking about, so I don't see what the problem is. It's beneficial to people who haven't gotten that far in the game, and doesn't hurt people who have.

pa22word

You were able to understand what he was talking about,

I actually had no idea what he was talking about, and thought he was trying to cover some weird slang racist term up or something before I clicked the link and was like, "fucking seriously? the word gutter is a spoiler now?"

It doesn't help anyone and just serves to make the site unreadable, and the antispoiler crowd are not please-able in any capacity, so I'd rather not have to click and/or decipher basic words in the english language that are totally removed from context because someone might be offended at the sight of the word which has no meaning outside of having previous knowledge of its in game context.

Like I said, you posting that shit about the pursuer with a gif of his attack animations is way more of a spoiler than some random dude using the word gutter as a header

Neoweee

Spoiler tag name areas. I basically did what people did in the BB thread of using initials for bosses. I think that is normal.

Tagyhag

So I want to do the DLC right before the last boss, will it be clear when I reach the moment before the point of no return?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I actually had no idea what he was talking about, and thought he was trying to cover some weird slang racist term up or something before I clicked the link and was like, "fucking seriously? the word gutter is a spoiler now?"

It doesn't help anyone and just serves to make the site unreadable, and the antispoiler crowd are not please-able in any capacity, so I'd rather not have to click and/or decipher basic words in the english language that are totally removed from context because someone might be offended at the sight of the word which has no meaning outside of having previous knowledge of its in game context.

Like I said, you posting that shit about the pursuer with a gif of his attack animations is way more of a spoiler than some random dude using the word gutter as a header

I actually didn't post the GIF; it was posted as a response to my post. Also that GIF has been plastered all over this thread as people debate the hitboxes of DS2, so it's not like it's a new thing.

Anyway this is a silly thing to argue about. Different people have different thresholds for what they consider a spoiler, and if some people want to spoiler tag more vs. less then I personally don't see the issue. You can go into the Dark Souls 1 OT today and you will still find people spoiler tagging stuff since there are still people playing through the game for the first time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They didn't remove this, did they?

No the ending cutscene is unchanged, just what happens immediately before it.

..no. Maybe I missed speaking with him somewhere. Or I gave the wrong answers to his questions.

Hmm interesting. Did you have all the crowns when you killed Nashandra? I had everything done, including going and talking to vendrick to make the powered up crown before finishing it. Ended up fighting the 2 sentinel dudes, Nashandra and then Aldia all in a row with no breaks.

If you're going to play DS2, you need to read this, don't care if it's a spoiler free new run or not:

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/agility

Takeaway: Get your Adaptability up enough to raise your Agility to 100. Doing so will give you faster item usage and if you get it to 105, you have exactly the same iframes as the fast roll in DS1. 99 is really close, 100 gives you the quicker item usage.

Code:
Agility	iFrames
85	5
86	8
88	9
92	10
96	11
99	12
105	13
111	14
114	15
116	16

Another thing, anything up to 70% weight burden is totally fine - it'll lower the distance you can roll as it increases (and very slightly increase falling damage), but it does not affect your iframes, you still have the same invincibility period.

TLDR: Raise your agility to improve dodge roll iframes and item use speed, do it now.

Well, wow. I hated DS2 when I first played it and I never upgraded adaptability, but coming off the back of a really great time with BB I wanted more Fromsoft and decided to give DS2 another shot. After 2 hours of being annihilated in the first area as memory served correctly I decided to farm souls until I had 105 adaptability. I then continued to steam roll four bosses in a row cockily taunting as I went. It's amazing how much those i-frames make a difference.

Jito

Banned
If they/you have such a bug up their/your ass over something so insignificant then maybe you should forgo discussion all together and pull up a gamefaqs guide, because at the point where people have to think about censoring common, everyday language just to satisfy their/your own inane and frankly misguided ideals about what's important in a game said person is harming discourse way more than they are helping it.

Also, funnily enough you just "spoiled" a boss in your most recent post. Maybe you should remove it in case anyone might be "spoiled".

Aren't you uppity. I don't see why you'd be so bothered by people putting spoilers on area names, let the guy put spoilers on himself if he wants. I've played it so it's not a spoiler for me.

Where's this apparent boss
spoiler
?

NBtoaster

Hmm interesting. Did you have all the crowns when you killed Nashandra? I had everything done, including going and talking to vendrick to make the powered up crown before finishing it. Ended up fighting the 2 sentinel dudes, Nashandra and then Aldia all in a row with no breaks.

Only have the one from the first DLC. Also haven't fought Vendrick or Darklurker. Hope there's another opportunity to fight before NG+

burgerdog

Since you guys are talking about spoilers, why are boss names spoilers when a name tells you nothing 90% of the time. For example, if I say Rom is a boss in Bloodborne. Yes, now you know its name but what exactly is spoiled? You don't know what or who it is or any other detail. There's only a few cases where a name could truly be a horrible spoiler.

Neoweee

Since you guys are talking about spoilers, why are boss names spoilers when a name tells you nothing 90% of the time. For example, if I say Rom is a boss in Bloodborne. Yes, now you know its name but what exactly is spoiled? You don't know what or who it is or any other detail. There's only a few cases where a name could truly be a horrible spoiler.

The issue is that bits and pieces like that, in aggregate, can lead to a rather spoiled impression of part of the game. It's like the extensive previews for Japanese RPGs, where each preview is something insignificant, but can come in such volume that you kind of know what is going to happen in the plot. My impression is to basically follow the etiquette of the BB main thread.

What's the weirdest build people can come up with.

On my first playthrough (unfinished) I went with a Strength Faith build an honestly it was rather boring.

Now if I ever get the remaster I'd consider doing a weird build instead. I thought of going dual greatswords or dual spears for fun.

the idea of putting a ton of extra enemies in areas is just annoying, not challenging. man, should've given the remaster treatment to dark souls 1 instead, one of the best games ever.

Robot Pants

GrossGaseousAntarcticgiantpetrel.gif
Nope. Nothing wrong with those hitboxes

def sim

Nope. Nothing wrong with those hitboxes

The dodge roll should have avoided it. He likely had low adaptability. Rather the hitbox being the problem, it's the invincibility frames not being where they should be. Though, the fix proposed earlier in this thread, the one where the edges of the sword counts as a regular hit box while the rest is the grab would have been interesting.

The ADP stat comes off as an after thought, so we see silly cases like this gif or the one with the thrown shield earlier.

Still making progress on my shieldless run. Iron Keep is the bane of my existence. I don't even think it's that hard, since you fight the same enemies over and over again, usually 1-on-1 in a straight hallway. But the knights...they always find a way to kill me. Over and over again.

knitoe

has to be a bug, even my surface pro 2 could handle the game w/o that happening against this boss and it took me many tries to beat this one.
Not a bug. It's happen to me with low ADT. The time for invincibility frame is tiny when your ADT is low. Get ADT to 100+ you will notice a big difference how less you get hit while rolling.

Not a bug. It's happen to me with low ADT. The time for invincibility frame is tiny when your ADT is low. Get ADT to 100+ you will notice a big difference how less you get hit while rolling.

I didn't put a single point into ADT while I played last year and it didn't happen when I fought him but who knows, anecdotal evidence and all.

def sim

I didn't put a single point into ADT while I played last year and it didn't happen when I fought him but who knows, anecdotal evidence and all.

It's possible to avoid it, there's still invincibility frames after all. No points added to it would mean you're more vulnerable, especially at the tail end of the animation as seen in the gif.

acsn

So I just spent way too long trying to kill Mytha in the poison before I had to look it up. How is anyway supposed to know to do that?

the idea of putting a ton of extra enemies in areas is just annoying, not challenging. man, should've given the remaster treatment to dark souls 1 instead, one of the best games ever.
There aren't a ton of extra enemies. Lots of the new ones just replace old ones. Sometimes the old ones are simply in different spots. Some of them are brand new enemies. Some of them are quite challenging. It's certainly not what id call boring.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I just spent way too long trying to kill Mytha in the poison before I had to look it up. How is anyway supposed to know to do that?

There is a new NPC summon who will actually run up and point at the windmill now until you burn it.

Hypron

Yeah it's not something that occurs constantly. I never got hit with that on any of my characters (even though the lack of invicibility frames on my SL1 character would fuck me over in lots of other fights, where I would need to actually avoid attacks instead of dodging through them).

There is a new NPC summon who will actually run up and point at the windmill now until you burn it.

There are also always tons of messages in front of the windmill saying stuff like "try torch". It made perfect sense to me first time playing through the game, messages are really useful in this series!

Can someone recommend me a mage type build? I haven't played DkS2 since launch and went full 2hander. I don't even think agility had been figured out by the time I completed the game. Thanks.

Basically you have 3 options:

Straight INT: Get intelligence to 40 as soon as possible for Soul Spear. Eventually you're going to want 60 for Crystal Soul Spear. Blue flame works very well with this build, because you don't know when the spells are coming. Throw in some homing soul masses and then blast with Soul Spear. Soul Shower is good, too. Soul Arrows less effective at higher levels. Also use the different versions of Magic Weapon.

Faith: Not as effective imo after nerf to Wrath of the Gods. Make sure you rank up with Sunbors to get Sunlight Spear. Force is good for PVP, too. Lightning Spear will be your main weapon with Sunlight Blade.

My favorite the Hexer: Go 30/30 with INT and FTH. Get them both to 20 to talk to Felkin and get Great Resonate Soul. Use Dark Weapon, Affinity, and Great Resonant Soul to dominate in PVE and PVP.

Naedtrax

Banned
Hmm. The dark areas are much darker too and require a torch. Are you a dark souls 2 player or just coming off of bloodborne? I never noticed it being brighter than the original dark souls 2

Dark Souls 2 and haven't played Bloodborne as i don't have a PS4.

I'm mainly talking about the overdone bloom that makes certain objects extremely bright and overexposed

impact

Banned
That character doesn't have 100+ ADT. Very early character so doubtful even 50. To dodge that, it would have to be almost perfect time.

This is why ADP is a stupid ass stat that should be nuked from the series.

Instead of bad hitboxes you just have bad game mechanics. Not much better.

takriel

This is why ADP is a stupid ass stat that should be nuked from the series.

Instead of bad hitboxes you just have bad game mechanics. Not much better.
Yup, my thought as well. You should be able to dodge-roll from the beginning. They should encourage you to learn when to roll so as to avoid enemy attacks and not punish you for trying it

Carlius

Banned
i see that you can use reshade...am trying to apply it but all i get is a red notice saying it failed. why is this so complicated lol

Top Bottom