• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Braag

Anyone know what's up with these new NPCs which you can summon and after a while it says "task complete" and they return to their own world. I don't remember them being in the original version.

tuna_love

Banned
Anyone know what's up with these new NPCs which you can summon and after a while it says "task complete" and they return to their own world. I don't remember them being in the original version.
Are they shades? They just don't last as long as normal summons.

Mogwai

I've noticed some small summon signs that weren't present in the original game.

Neoweee

Been thinking about that as well. I wonder when we will start seeing opinions on that.

The graphical upgrades seem pretty minimal at best so if it turns out the old version enamy / weapon placement is seen as the most balanced or fun then I might just pick that old version up when I finally get around to this game.

Most "sections" of levels are equivalent or better, and there's a bunch of general improvements that don't really fall into a simple "enemy placement" category.

It's really a few standout areas that people regard as worse, but those sections are in a fairly extreme minority.

Even one of those "bad" areas, the first section of FotFG, has like two more required Hollow Soldiers/Footmen in the way. It's not that significant.

There is a new NPC summon who will actually run up and point at the windmill now until you burn it.

There are a ton of new AI things like this that really help flesh out the world.

Was building my character to use the chaos rapier. Was pleasantly surprised to find
the hex guy near the start selling it

And for the areas that are harder, you're given more build options, earlier, combined with one of the game's major branches becoming accessible much sooner than it did before.

There's only one there now, and he doesn't agro when you leave the bonfire.

I really hope people take a more balanced approach to viewing Scholar than cherry-picking the few % of changes that are "bad".

Cob32

Was building my character to use the chaos rapier. Was pleasantly surprised to find
the hex guy near the start selling it

nowarning

I've played 4 hours so far, really enjoying it. The new enemy placements have kept me on my toes and every new area I enter I am super cautious. The game runs great @ 4k with DSR and I've not encountered any errors with multiplayer yet.

Durability hasn't really bothered me, since I went through No-man's Wharf on the X360 version I've always carried a few decent weapons with me, so I always have something good to swap to.

Meneses

Thx! Does DS2 on PS4 look like the PC version? Or does it look like an upres-ed PS3 version?

I don't really remember how it compares to PC since I only played it right when it came out, but i'd say it looks nice for the most part.

The light is a bit weird at points, though, and the background in Heide's Tower looks even worse and out of place due to the contrast with the higher quality in everything else.

Other than that, so far it seems to be looking pretty decent.

Load times are great.

Man this game is really beautiful sometimes. I get that it's not as grungy as the other Souls games but they totally nailed the serene environments that invoke an ages old kingdom. It's not quite in a state of decay but rather just stuck in time.

Deku Tree

I think the ps4 version looks superb but I'm no graphics whore, has a really nice feel about it, that 60fps is killer.

Yes, load times are also lightning.

I don't really remember how it compares to PC since I only played it right when it came out, but i'd say it looks nice for the most part.

The light is a bit weird at points, though, and the background in Heide's Tower looks even worse and out of place due to the contrast with the higher quality in everything else.

Other than that, so far it seems to be looking pretty decent.

Load times are great.

Ok I'll plan to pick it up. Decent graphics and 60 fps and fast load times sounds fantastic.

blado

Starting a covenant of champions run using a faith build. I haven't played through all the way yet with the scholar of the first sin version, so I imagine this is going to be very painful.

Neoweee

What happened to the outfit woman? She never came back to Majula.

Did you give her clothes? At the location? Or talk to her again?

I saved her, I died, I talked to her, gave clothes, and then she was back in Majula.

Any comparisons between the two versions for PC? The graphical upgrade would be the main thing for me.

My advice is to not bother with the update then. Mods to the original look better than the raw updated version, at least.

Mogwai

Did you give her clothes? At the location? Or talk to her again?

I saved her, I died, I talked to her, gave clothes, and then she was back in Majula.

My advice is to not bother with the update then. Mods to the original look better than the raw updated version, at least.

I didn't give her any clothes at her initial location. Does she die then?

addyb

Bought this on ps4 the other day and despite me saying I would wait til ive finished bloodborne I started it earlier and sunk an hour into it. I'm well versed in the souls games with finishing demons and dark but was a bit apprehensive of this due to people saying it was crap compared to the others in the series.

So far I'm loving it. Quickly got used to the slower combat and I'm even not bothering with a shield so far. Initially struggled to make decent progress but now it's all flowing and I have me some decent enough weapons.

Mogwai

No. Is she near where Bernhart is/was? She should be.

She'll only die if you kill her, and even if she does, vendor NPCs will spawn tombstones for you to use.
She was supposed to stand near the stairs to where Saulden is sitting. But she just never appeared back in town.

Ayt

Banned
so what's the consensus, do i get the dx9 season pass or upgrade to dx11?

Not talking graphics, if the dx11 version of the game was the one that was released originally and the dx9 version was the remaster, people would be going absolutely bonkers at how bad the changes were. It would be a bloodbath. People would wonder if From had lost their minds.

The dx11 version is the better game, but there are several reasons why people are criticizing it that have nothing to do with the game itself. It isn't perfect so of course some criticism is warranted, but From has improved on what they created previously.

kurahadol

I'm sure it has been asked lots but for someone who is new to FROM games thanks to Bloodborne (which I loved and finished yesterday), will I enjoy this? Thinking of picking it up once my exams have finished.

prudislav

so theres absolutely no way of getting mods to work on this version?
depends on what you want
- from graphic overlays (ENB/SweetFX/...) works only those which can handle DX11 => so that rules out ENB
- for downsampling you can use Nvidia DSR if you have nvidia cards -> for general ones i dont know if anyone works on some tool which works like DSfix but for DX11
- for texture mods - we need some tool to dump/override them as GeDoSato is DX9 only​
Hopefully someone is working at least on that texture moding tool .... maybe Durante??? or someone else (waiting for that because I either play it on my custom AHK control scheme with its own UI texture or I play it on Dualshock3 gamepad aswell with own UI texture and I just hate when the game shows Xbox buttons when I play with DS/M+K)

Neoweee

Not talking graphics, if the dx11 version of the game was the one that was released originally and the dx9 version was the remaster, people would be going absolutely bonkers at how bad the changes were. It would be a bloodbath. People would wonder if From had lost their minds.

The dx11 version is the better game, but there are several reasons why people are criticizing it that have nothing to do with the game itself. It isn't perfect so of course some criticism is warranted, but From has improved on what they created previously.

I agree with this. Some people may dislike some of the changes, but there are literally hundreds and hundreds of changes, the vast majority improvements.

In the long term, I'd like to see somebody go from Scholar to the original as their initial play.

addyb

I'm sure it has been asked lots but for someone who is new to FROM games thanks to Bloodborne (which I loved and finished yesterday), will I enjoy this? Thinking of picking it up once my exams have finished.

I would say yes. It's more fleshed out in terms of weapons, armour and levelling up and the combat is similar just a bit slower. If you've got your skills built up with bloodborne you should be able to dive into this and make good progress and of course you will be used to the dying a lot lol.

ironcreed

Banned
Man this game is really beautiful sometimes. I get that it's not as grungy as the other Souls games but they totally nailed the serene environments that invoke an ages old kingdom. It's not quite in a state of decay but rather just stuck in time.

Certain locations are dark and grungy as hell. I just think Dark Souls II has better environment variety overall.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I played DS2 and think its absolutely a great game.

I am just worried if this new enemy remix soured the game's original balance and gameplay flow.

the only thing I don't like about the changes so far is that they're blocking more paths with petrified statues. Makes the game a bit more linear by blocking paths early when you don't have a bunch of fragrant branches

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Heide's Tower of Flame:

"Oh, this isn't so bad. Sure, the Heide Knights are everywhere, but I just won't aggro them. Let me hustle in, knock off Dragonrider and Old Dragon Slayer and get that Ring of Binding. No sweat. OHGODTHEHEIDEKNIGHTSAREAWAKEANDWHATTHEFUCKISTHATREDDRAGINDOINGHERE!!???"

Yup, definitive edition.

Neoweee

the only thing I don't like about the changes so far is that they're blocking more paths with petrified statues. Makes the game a bit more linear by blocking paths early when you don't have a bunch of fragrant branches

Actually, I don't really think that's the case, as you get more branches, and get them earlier, which helps unlock one of the major paths many hours earlier than it previously was. Most of the areas that have additional statues are just short paths to various treasures.

Heide's Tower of Flame:

"Oh, this isn't so bad. Sure, the Heide Knights are everywhere, but I just won't aggro them. Let me hustle in, knock off Dragonrider and Old Dragon Slayer and get that Ring of Binding. No sweat. OHGODTHEHEIDEKNIGHTSAREAWAKEANDWHATTHEFUCKISTHATREDDRAGINDOINGHERE!!???"

Yup, definitive edition.

That ring was moved to a much safer location within the zone.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone else find the new enemy placement feels out of place?

For example,
the copy & paste of those white nights in Heides Tower of Flame. The removal of those monsters in the water just before The Lost Sinner.

Just feels odd to me.

Man the combat is so much more fluid and responsive in Bloodborne. Have to get use to this combat again lol.

Also anyone notice the weapons degrade faster? Definitely don't remember them degrading this fast in the original DS2.

Heide Knights in Heide
makes sense :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I was supposed to wait until late this month but I couldn't handle the hype from this thread (and the cheap price, of course)!

17EUBN4.jpg

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I was supposed to wait until late this month but I couldn't handle the hype from this thread (and the cheap price, of course)!

Let us know what you think. I've been really enoying the way it's made me much more cautious again, despite knowing the game so well. I'm always on the lookout for new enemy placements, to the point where I enter an area and immediately try and think where From would place them in relation to vets who remember every nook and cranny.

Top Bottom