• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Pronewbie

Banned
GrossGaseousAntarcticgiantpetrel.gif

This boss was so easy though..

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to decide what build to do. I've never played DS2 before but I want to do a Strength build with a bit of magic thrown in, and I'm not sure if I should go Intelligence or Faith. On the one hand Faith seems to have self-buffs and heals, which is good for a melee character, but its ranged attack options seem lacking compared to Intelligence. Any thoughts? I'm not planning to do any PvP, just PvE.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hmm. The dark areas are much darker too and require a torch. Are you a dark souls 2 player or just coming off of bloodborne? I never noticed it being brighter than the original dark souls 2
I haven't played it, but I can tell from the screens it's definitely way brighter than before.

I'm worried that just turning down the brightness wont be much of a fix because it's just gonna make the darker areas too dark.

UberLevi

Finally started getting into this despite having bought it days ago. Beat the Pursuer and Last Giant (in that order) and ended up finding the Drangleic set, which I didn't ever notice when I played through on vanilla DS2. Still haven't died yet, but I'm suspecting Heide's Tower will change that.

ufo8mycat

Anyone else find the new enemy placement feels out of place?

For example,
the copy & paste of those white nights in Heides Tower of Flame. The removal of those monsters in the water just before The Lost Sinner.

Just feels odd to me.

Man the combat is so much more fluid and responsive in Bloodborne. Have to get use to this combat again lol.

Also anyone notice the weapons degrade faster? Definitely don't remember them degrading this fast in the original DS2.

UberLevi

Alright, so I died for the first time. I ended up rolling away from one of those giant knights at Heide's Tower, straight off the edge and into the water.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anyone else find the new enemy placement feels out of place?

For example,
the copy & paste of those white nights in Heides Tower of Flame. The removal of those monsters in the water just before The Lost Sinner.

Just feels odd to me.

Man the combat is so much more fluid and responsive in Bloodborne. Have to get use to this combat again lol.

Also anyone notice the weapons degrade faster? Definitely don't remember them degrading this fast in the original DS2.

you mean copy & paste Heide Knights into Heide's Tower of Flame? clearly out of place :p

I agree with the rest tho

Alright, so I died for the first time. I ended up rolling away from one of those giant knights at Heide's Tower, straight off the edge and into the water.
I find it hilarious how you can't swim in these games. It just seems like a weird genre to have water = death.

I am so strong I can take down gods and demons. Oops fell into a lake.

YOU DIED.

Cob32

Started playing last night. Weapons certainly degrade faster but it's managable. I've had to use a repair powder once so far when clearing out no mans wharf with a rapier which isn't too bad. I find going back to the bonfire after clearing side areas before continuing on mostly overcomes it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I find it hilarious how you can't swim in these games. It just seems like a weird genre to have water = death.

I am so strong I can take down gods and demons. Oops fell into a lake.

YOU DIED.

Realistically though, with all the armor you're wearing, you'd probably sink like an anchor anyway.

I dunno, Isildur floated when he died in LOTR and he was in a full suit of armor!

Also what if I'm a mage, or wearing leather.

I think the not knowing how to swim idea works better, lol.

Teeth

I dunno, Isildur floated when he died in LOTR and he was in a full suit of armor!

Also what if I'm a mage, or wearing leather.

I think the not knowing how to swim idea works better, lol.

You should try swimming in a full leather wardrobe. You might be in for a surprise.

you mean copy & paste Heide Knights into Heide's Tower of Flame? clearly out of place :p

I agree with the rest tho

Man...I killed one of those to get to a treasure chest and now they're all permanently aggroed. Which means I dont think I can really enter that area til I have some better gear and level.

And I *think* they respawn now.

HeelPower

you mean the underserved hate the game gets cause people are not willing to play the game with more than one weapon? this thread is full of bs to be honest, you should be the judge not what 5 percent of people are saying in a thread. if you like souls games you owe it to yourself to play it.

I played DS2 and think its absolutely a great game.

I am just worried if this new enemy remix soured the game's original balance and gameplay flow.

I am just worried if this new enemy remix soured the game's original balance and gameplay flow.

Been thinking about that as well. I wonder when we will start seeing opinions on that.

The graphical upgrades seem pretty minimal at best so if it turns out the old version enamy / weapon placement is seen as the most balanced or fun then I might just pick that old version up when I finally get around to this game.

Corpekata

Banned
The enemy hordes aren't any bigger than before despite what out of context screenshots attempt to show. Heck some areas have less enemies.

Man...I killed one of those to get to a treasure chest and now they're all permanently aggroed. Which means I dont think I can really enter that area til I have some better gear and level.

And I *think* they respawn now.

I don't think that triggers them. There are just a couple that are aggro enemies, the others are passive.

I haven't finished it but so far I'd definitely say yes. There are some interesting changes but overall they just applied "more enemies where ever you can stick them" to the areas.

Corpekata

Banned
FotFG, No Man's Wharf and parts of Lost Bastille.

No-man's Wharf especially is nothing but annoying in this.

Eh? No Man's Wharf was barely touched and most encounters there are pretty low on numbers (there's like one encounter I had with like 3 or 4 enemies and that area also had a lot in vanilla), and Forest's only big mob is an area where they're all docile until approached.

Haven't finished Bastille (no branch of yore) but it's been mostly the same there too number wise. Maybe an extra dog or two on the ship approach.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Been thinking about that as well. I wonder when we will start seeing opinions on that.

The graphical upgrades seem pretty minimal at best so if it turns out the old version enamy / weapon placement is seen as the most balanced or fun then I might just pick that old version up when I finally get around to this game.

I'm playing this game for the first time and I'm having fun. There are indeed a lot of enemies in certain areas but if you play carefully and strategically you should be OK. I think I've died a total of 3-4 times and I just beat the second boss, and this is my first ever playthrough.

ufo8mycat

I would definitely recommend the original over this. The new enemy placement just isn't as good.

psy18

so what's the consensus, do i get the dx9 season pass or upgrade to dx11?

Get the dx 11. Never have any problem with new enemy placement (including iron keep). With lots of other small touches and movement of some key items I like the new one over the original.

Mogwai

It's not too different, but it feel like the knights at the first bonfire rush you quite a lot. There's also plenty of arrows flying around near Smelter. Up till now I've enjoyed the new placements, but Iron Keep doesn't feel more enjoyable to me.

tuna_love

Banned
It's not too different, but it feel like the knights at the first bonfire rush you quite a lot. There's also plenty of arrows flying around near Smelter. Up till now I've enjoyed the new placements, but Iron Keep doesn't feel more enjoyable to me.
Oh yeah true they do.

I'm currently doing Iron Keep now and knights seem a tad more aggressive but I don't think there's more of them.

I'm having a pretty easy time with them tbh. I just aggro them with my bow and then ready an attack as they close in. They're pretty predictable so they kinda just run into your kill zone if you have a good reach weapon (I'm going double greatsword build so they die in one hit)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
died so much in iron keep the knights stopped spawning

sounds like me with the mobs before pursuer lol

should I upgrade some of my shitty weapons so im not having such a hard time? it only needs titanite anyway and you can just buy infinite of those correct?

and by shitty weapons I mean like the fire sword, which isnt that shitty

Top Bottom