• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

psy18

What'd they change in
Shrine of Amana
?

More caster, more froggy enemies

Got to admit, wasn't feeling this at first but now that I'm getting into it I'm sitting here at work thinking of playing it. Using more summons (just npcs so far I haven't found players) was the best decision I had, even if that's "shameful" or whatever.

Hopefully I can do
Lucatiel's
quest this time, I failed it on vanilla.

It's funny, for all the talk about how hard these games hard, which scares a lot of people away, you can easily make them manageable between coop or brute forcing with leveling.

I had a similar attitude with you about summoning and refrain on using them.
But when I realised that I'm facing ruthless enemies that will gank you on every opportunity, I just stop caring about what's "shameful" and used every available means to ensure my survival.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
More caster, more froggy enemies

I had a similar attitude with you about summoning and refrain on using them.
But when I realised that I'm facing ruthless enemies that will gank you on every opportunity, I just stop caring about what's "shameful" and used every available means to ensure my survival.

The weird part is, you NEED to summon for some quests. So you are actually missing content if you don't. Not to mention the fact that they upped the number of ppl you can summon. I'm not excusing it btw, I'm aware that's "easy mode", just a weird thing

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Aparently peeps are saying you need to shoot him wit a arrow so he flies away

You can kill him pretty easily:

As soon as you get up the stairs he's going to get up and breathe fire on the entire platform. Basically as soon as you hit the top of the stairs you need to sprint straight towards him and hug his feet. Just slash away at his feet and avoid his stomps and he'll go down. He's not hard at all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You can kill him pretty easily:

As soon as you get up the stairs he's going to get up and breathe fire on the entire platform. Basically as soon as you hit the top of the stairs you need to sprint straight towards him and hug his feet. Just slash away at his feet and avoid his stomps and he'll go down. He's not hard at all.

When I got there he started breathing fire on me well before I got to the platform :/

drotahorror

I came here to ask the same.

Shame :(

C'mon Namco, just because the game is releasing after Bloodborne, doesn't mean you should send it out to die!

Isn't it on other countries' PSN's? Like, UK and AUS already could preload/pre-order. It's just the states that can't.

I'm pissed.

*And no longer pissed. As above poster said, it's up on NA PSN.

NBtoaster

So, I'm reading this a lot.

Can someone make at least a few example about what these "hundreds of changes" are?

Most enemies have had their placement tweaked to be harder, more fair or just different. But there are other major changes.

Some examples:

Things Betwixt: Sex change coffin blocked by a stone statue, added curse frogs and a pursuer fight
FOFG: Ogre wandering around at the first bonfire, more ironclads thoughout the level
Heide's: Heide Knights added, plus a dragon in front of the cathedral
No Man's Warf: The masked enemies that used to be NG+ only are now regular enemies, additional shortcut between the ship and bonfire.
Bastille: 3x Pursuer fights, enemies near Straid are no longer hostile

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Made some progress in L
ost
B
astille
and made it up to (and killed) the R
uin
S
entinels
. Super easy fight, although to be fair I had the benefit of two NPC summons as a distraction. After my summons died I wound up fighting two of them myself, but with careful positioning and dodging I managed to whittle them down.

Fun fight all things considered, although I probably would have been very frustrated if I didn't have those NPCs helping me.

Edit: I have a question - where can I get titanite shards? Right now the only place I can find them is a blacksmith in Majula who only has 10 in stock, but I want to upgrade several weapons and I have zero shards sitting in my inventory.

void666

Banned
Just cheesed that fucking
dragon
. 20 arrows. Oh so challenging...

What's the point of placing it right there? Maybe because the level design and enemies are boring and people just run past everything. "But oh ho ho players will have a surprise. Dark souls is suposed to be haaard."

B team at its best.

Braag

I was able to kill the dragon by rushing at it before it breaths fire and just attack its legs while it does his useless stomp attacks.
It flew up couple of time to breath fire but I just ran to the previous platform and then back at it once the fire was gone.
It's pretty straightforward once you get past the first fire breath.

So...after playing about 5 minutes of this, I gotta say, I much rather have 60fps instead of 30 fps Bloodborne. Screw the bells and whistles, give me fluid movement.

Corpekata

Banned
Yes, the dragon that can be seen from the entrance of the level was meant to be a surprise.

Dragon has like 3 moves. Fire Breath, foot stomp, and rise into the air and fire breath. People really searching for things to bitch about non stop.

ironcreed

Banned
Some quick screens:

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

After creating my character:

Screenshot-Original.png

Also, it really is an amazing feeling to be able to play a Souls game with a framerate like this. It's like a different game.

Kalnos

Banned
Just cheesed that fucking
dragon
. 20 arrows. Oh so challenging...

What's the point of placing it right there? Maybe because the level design and enemies are boring and people just run past everything. "But oh ho ho players will have a surprise. Dark souls is suposed to be haaard."

B team at its best.

Yeah man, there were never any dumb dragon encounters in Demon's or Dark that everyone cheesed with arrows. That's totally a 'B team' thing. Oh wait.

Yes, the dragon that can be seen from the entrance of the level was meant to be a surprise.

Dragon has like 3 moves. Fire Breath, foot stomp, and rise into the air and fire breath. People really searching for things to bitch about non stop.

Yep. I swear to god if people didnt know Miyazaki wasnt involved, half the complaints in this thread would vanish into the fucking ether.

Rhaknar

Yep. I swear to god if people didnt know Miyazaki wasnt involved, half the complaints in this thread would vanish into the fucking ether.

It works the other way around aswell. A lot of BBS problems would have been ripped apart DS2 style if it wasn't for the "Miyazaki tax" as I call it, and i loved that game and think it's second only to Dark souls 1. Oh well

ironcreed

Banned
Bloodborne is amazing, but playing this again in 1080p and at 60 fps is already better for me. And I don't mind 30 fps, but this just plays so much better it's not even funny.

Victrix

*beard*
Which one? any infusion?

Just 'club'. You could use a Mace also I guess.

No infusion if you want pure strength, infuse it with something if you're going castery, but that sorta defeats the point of the club which is, well, hitting things with str. It has S rank str scaling at cap.

People crying about the Guardian Dragon at Heide's: Just charge his ass, take the first fire hit if he even does it, get under his feet and wreck him.

And news flash, Miyazaki and the "A Team" did this kinda shit LONG before Tanimura.

Rhaknar

Calling all the dlc experts

Is there any set in the 3 dlcs that someone that loves
Havel
set would like? Some new tank-ish set?

tuna_love

Banned
Vendrick dead:) He does a tiny bit less damage now. Could actually take one hit without dying.
And I really live the forlorn armour. Looks rad with the dark mask.

Calling all the dlc experts

Is there any set in the 3 dlcs that someone that loves
Havel
set would like? Some new tank-ish set?

I think the
Havel's
set is still the king as far as "armor sets that will let you get hit by a semi and survive" go. Matter of fact, I don't think any of the DLC armor sets come close to its heft and hardness. The most protective of the DLC armors only reaches up to about the level of the
Vengarl's
set, so you'll be dropping a bit of defense for a new coat of paint.

In any case, do what feels right. The DLC armor sets are really cool looking, so if fashion's your thing, just do it and forget about the numbers!

Using an NPC summon sure does make the
Gargoyle
and
Ruin Sentinels
fights a lot easier. Fuck multi-boss encounters, I could solo Ornstein and Smough easy, but not this.

micah

I'm glad I never played beyond the iron keep on the ps3 version. This will be excellent having Bloodbourne and DS2 both in a row.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just started having a bitch if a time figuring out what's going on. Also not a fan of the volume of enemies the game throws at you. Wondering when I will get to summon or hit my first boss.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Starting as a deprived is rough. Can't use shit but the dagger and that breaks ridiculously fast thanks to our friend durability bug. There are also a lot more enemies than I remember.

Top Bottom