• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

acsn

How many Pharros lockstones are in the game? I just got to the area with a bunch of locks and wasted all my lockstones.

Kalnos

Banned
How many Pharros lockstones are in the game? I just got to the area with a bunch of locks and wasted all my lockstones.

Pretty sure you can get them from being in the rat covenant. I think maybe you can farm them at some point as well?

Is this game better or worse than DS1? I have played DS1 on PS3 but was thinking about getting this at some point on PS4 if its at least as good as DS1.

What's the scaling on the claymore again? I thought it was more of a quality weapon. If he's gong STR then I think the greatsword would be a better option.

Technically you're right, the greatsword is a better option in terms of scaling, the Claymore is C/C and at +10 Raw it does 290 damage (plus scaling) while the Greatsword does S/D at +10, with 400 damage.

The thing is, Claymore's move set is soo much better, but in the end everyone has his own preference so i understand.

JGLS

Man, I "loved" the first time that happened to me. It was in
Grave Of Saints
and I was like "So many lockstones, what incredible hidden treasures could there be?", used one pharros lockstone and "puff" a statue just started gushing down water on the river. I wasted two more, before realizing I was being trolled hard.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Seriously though, have you tried it? It has a great move set compared to the greatswords, great for STR builds. For me the best weapon of Dark Souls.

who plays Souls games with whats best? Its all about style baby. Gonna be fat rolling with that sword and
Havel
baby, nobody stops the rock man!

im only half-joking too lol

unless theres a cooler "tank" set in the dlc than
Havel
that is, I dont know about anything in the dlc

Man, I "loved" the first time that happened to me. It was in
Grave Of Saints
and I was like "So many lockstones, what incredible hidden treasures could there be?", used one pharros lockstone and "puff" a statue just started gushing down water on the river. I wasted two more, before realizing I was being trolled hard.

there are some actual secrets there tho. im sure theres a video with all the "real" lockstones (unless they changed in the new version)

what I want to know if how many of the statue things we get now, because there are A LOT of new statues

Victrix

*beard*
Is this game better or worse than DS1? I have played DS1 on PS3 but was thinking about getting this at some point on PS4 if its at least as good as DS1.

I'm playing it for the first time, and while I don't like it as much as any of the other souls/bb games, I do think its well worth playing - there's still nothing else out there quite like souls, so it's still worth exploring.

I would recommend reading up on some mechanics stuff before you play though, I hated the early game in this, more than Demon, Dark, or BB.

Barakov

Really annoyed this hasn't popped up on PSN yet.

Have gone all digital since Diablo 3 and not one $60 title has been like this.

I bet the size has been inflated too. I downloaded DkS2 on PC the other day, 6.6gb I believe. This'll prolly be 30-50gb I'm guessing.

On Xbox One it's showing to be about 12GB. It'll probably be about the same on PS4.

It depends on who you ask. I think it's a worthy follow up all things considered. The game does have it's fair share of detractors. Look up on the changes that were made for the sequel and see if it's something you're interested in.

Neoweee

Is two handing faster then dual wielding? Those heides knight are easier to kill two handing then dual wielding

You have better range and better damage, at least. The balance between range, damage, and stamina usage will depend on your stats.

Dark Souls 2 has almost everything explained relatively well, though i can understand your complaint. Dark Souls 1, however, was very tough to learn. Thank god they made everything easier to understand with this game.

I agree. The stats page, general interface, and tooltips are the best in the series, but there's still a bit further to go in explaining the rolling mechanics (roll distance, roll invincibility, and stamina usage), and wielding mechanics (discount for two-handing, but higher requirements to dual-wield). I understand the "no handholding"-appeal, but just a little bit more could smooth over a lot of issues.

heringer

Is it ok to comment on the vanilla version here?

I'm 13 hours in and I think the game is growing on me. Didn't really like all the much the first hours.

Still not in love with it, but I'm enjoying it (it's my first Souls game). I think I would really love Bloodborne though (theme, graphics, faster gameplay, cooler weapons).

I wonder how much i retained in the memory bank since i beat it a year ago on 360 and again on pc
Same here. Double dipped the Ps3 and pc. Bought the dlc but never played it. Can't wait to get back into the way the soul series. Loved bloodborne and platinum it but I need the PvP that I enjoyed so much.

Joey Ravn

Banned
OK, so I managed to get some things done.

Today, I beat the
Belfry Gargoyles
(first try!),
Scorpioness Najka
and
The Rotten
. I also beat the two giants in
Black Gulch
and got the key. I'm missing only one door... the one that leads to
Havel's set

The
Black Gulch
now has two NPC invaders that are actually quite tough. I thought that I was fighting another human the first few times I tried to beat them. They are very aggressive (at least, more so that other invaders) and they use large clubs that stunlock you to death.

I also got the
Dragon Talon
needed to access the first DLC, even though I wasn't even searching for it.

I'm still rocking my Claymore (now +7) and whatever armor I can wear that gives me good poise and defense. I would kill for a lighter shield that blocks 100%, though. The one I have, the Old Knight's Shield, weigths a ton, though it's pretty awesome. I have to visit
McDuff
and get myself a Royal Kite Shield for the moment...

I need to read where I can find the most useful items, such as the
Chloranthy Ring
et al. I'm finally beginning to accept that Dark Souls II is not as bad as I thought, but I also feel that I still don't have as strong a grasp over it as I had over the first Dark Souls. Getting better items will certainly remedy that.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
How quickly/easily can I pick up the Claymore? Also how quickly/easily can I join the co-op covenant (Heirs of the Sun)? In terms of areas, I've beaten FoFG, HT, NMW, and am currently in L
ost
B
astille

I'm currently using a greatsword I got off one of the giant knights in HT but it breaks really quickly and is pretty slow.

I don't have this pre-ordered, I've only played Demon Souls (I'm not counting Bloodborne), and yet, I'm considering going out at midnight and snagging a PS4 copy.

I have the R6: Siege Alpha tomorrow and MK:X next week but there's just something that makes me want this...

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So I never bought the 3rd DLC, so buying this game will cost me $30.

I absolutely loved the vanilla game, and the 2 DLCs (not sure why I never bought the 3rd since I heard it was the best one). With that said though, is it worth it?

Talking to you original DS2 lovers out there.

Ayt

Banned
So I never bought the 3rd DLC, so buying this game will cost me $30.

I absolutely loved the vanilla game, and the 2 DLCs (not sure why I never bought the 3rd since I heard it was the best one). With that said though, is it worth it?

Talking to you original DS2 lovers out there.

Since you enjoyed the game previously, I strongly recommend the new version. The new enemy and item placements make it a better game, and things are different enough that you'll find new surprises all around the world.

If you didn't mod the DX9 version all that much, the upgraded graphics are also a nice bonus because it does look quite a bit better.

Caja 117

So its 100 percent sure this should be out in digital by tomorow on PSN? Im holding out on not getting retail, and i wan this....fast.

Funny enough, this zone in Dark Souls
Tomb of Giants
is not that scary. I actually enjoy killing skeletons down there and the boss is unfortunately kind of weak (although I like his appearance). Dark Souls however does seem to feed into every phobia
Slime in the Sewers is horrifying, Maggots and other stuff in Blighttown, not to stalk of those people with eggs on their backs near the boss, sick stuff.

I like the RPG mechanics in these games, but I'd say its horror, borderline jumpscare, inclinations may be a higher barrier than the difficulty curve to some people.

You have huge, steel balls sir.
Tomb of Giants
gave me the piss shivers to the point that I seriously contemplated shelving the game. Nothing in DS2 or Bloodborne has caused that level of vaporlock in me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When I killed
dragonrider
in heide tower all the heide knights were pissed and started walking around, I haven't been back there since but are they always aggroed now?

psy18

Just got the
King's Ring
. It's nice that they reduced the number of enemies near the boss and at the same time adding a mini boss.

Also, pretty sure
Shrine of Amana
is way harder now.

Still liking these changes so far. Some repetitive spot in the originals got toned down, but they increase the difficulty on other parts.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
man I wish Blue Sentinel stuff had more activity. I've been summoned to help in an invasion precisely twice, and managed to find a world of the guilty just once.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
man I wish Blue Sentinel stuff had more activity. I've been summoned to help in an invasion precisely twice, and managed to find a world of the guilty just once.

Maybe there's just not that many invasions happening? I've put in 12 hours so far and haven't been invaded once (except by an NPC invader).

Beers

Neo Member
As someone who has put about 100 hours into Dark Souls II already, does this game have enough new stuff going on to warrant buying the upgrade on Steam? Also, if I install this will I lose the original version or can I have both installed at once?

Neoweee

Just got the
King's Ring
. It's nice that they reduced the number of enemies near the boss and at the same time adding a mini boss.

Also, pretty sure
Shrine of Amana
will make some people cry now.

You also don't need to equip it after the first time anymore.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

PC version? I wonder how active the xb1 version will be.

III-V

Maybe there's just not that many invasions happening? I've put in 12 hours so far and haven't been invaded once (except by an NPC invader).

Well, it is a game that I have already sunk 100+ hours into. I would have prepare to re-buy but not if they cannot bother to transfer my old save over. I imagine many others, like myself feel the same, and may be playing BB as well.

Natiko

Banned
Just got the
King's Ring

Also, pretty sure
Shrine of Amana
is way harder now.

Still liking these changes so far. Some repetitive spot in the originals got toned down, but they increase the difficulty on other parts.
What'd they change in
Shrine of Amana
?

Revenile

Finally having beaten Dark Souls for the first time just last week (got it release day on PC, I know I'm horribly slow), I gotta say that the catacombs was the first time I felt legitimately claustrophobic in a video game, really heavy stuff. I snagged the DX11 version of DS2 today, and even though I don't meet the recommended specs, I have had 60FPS solid so far.

Rhaknar

Got to admit, wasn't feeling this at first but now that I'm getting into it I'm sitting here at work thinking of playing it. Using more summons (just npcs so far I haven't found players) was the best decision I had, even if that's "shameful" or whatever.

Hopefully I can do
Lucatiel's
quest this time, I failed it on vanilla.

It's funny, for all the talk about how hard these games hard, which scares a lot of people away, you can easily make them manageable between coop or brute forcing with leveling.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

probably part of it

also that you only protect people in the newbie covenant, which I feel like people usually drop when they find something better

it would be better if maybe wearing the Way of Blue Ring would always have a chance to summon a Sentinel even if you left the covenant, and maybe actually being in Way of Blue gave you higher priority or allowed you to summon higher level help

I dunno, just seems like a covenant to protect other players from invasions is a really cool idea, but it doesn't happen enough

Rhaknar

How much vit would one need to use
havel set / shield and greatsword
and stay below 70% to avoid fat rolls? :3

Kazuhira

As someone who has put about 100 hours into Dark Souls II already, does this game have enough new stuff going on to warrant buying the upgrade on Steam? Also, if I install this will I lose the original version or can I have both installed at once?

They´re separate games in steam.
In my case,i played the full game+dlcs(PC) and i kinda regret buying it again just for a new npc,new enemy placement,a new ending and other minor changes but if you played the ps3/x360 version,i think it´s a worthy upgrade.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I take it that because this game does not have a pre-order/load option on PSN, then this is going to release at Grace Chen-time tomorrow and not at midnight?

hawk2025

So I take it that because this game does not have a pre-order/load option on PSN, then this is going to release at Grace Chen-time tomorrow and not at midnight?

I came here to ask the same.

Shame :(

C'mon Namco, just because the game is releasing after Bloodborne, doesn't mean you should send it out to die!

hongXmsia

Neo Member
i am on my first play through of DS2 SotFS and there is a guarding dragon at the cathedral of the blue? How could i beat him??

Rhaknar

i am on my first play through of DS2 SotFS and there is a guarding dragon at the cathedral of the blue? How could i beat him??

Aparently peeps are saying you need to shoot him wit a arrow so he flies away

Top Bottom