• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cool still remembered all the secrets in
no mans wharf
:D

I think im gonna summon more, theres summon signs everywhere, I need to get out of this "ima gonna solo everything because thats how its meant to be played rawr" mentality. Hell if anything it seems they WANT you to summon more now

for
Lucatiel's
quest she cant die against the bosses correct? I see her summon in
no mans wharf
now

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
cool still remembered all the secrets in
no mans wharf
:D

I think im gonna summon more, theres summon signs everywhere, I need to get out of this "ima gonna solo everything because thats how its meant to be played rawr" mentality. Hell if anything it seems they WANT you to summon more now

for
Lucatiel's
quest she cant die against the bosses correct? I see her summon in
no mans wharf
now

Yeah summon signs are all over the place, at least on PC. Not that I'm complaining, I love co-op. I need to find the co-op covenant and join it already.

The game looks awesome on ps4 in my opinon and I'm glad I rebought it . Now, only if the mad original dark souls remake :( I want to replay that game but I hate turning on the ps3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I WISH I COULD PLAY THIS FUCKING GAME RIGHT NOW

Why did I leave my PS4 at my buddies house :(?

JGLS

Man the Pursuer is just everywhere now. Please fuck off, Pursuer.

That sounds like a positive to me. For a boss called Pursuer, in the original game he actually didn't pursue a lot. I'll probably buy this when it reaches 10e (with game + DLC discount)

SOTFS Feels like a really awesome Hard mode remix so far. I still suck at PvP, but I've not once died during a boss fight (that I wasn't a phantom in)!

Also managed to get through Belfry Luna while online without dying more than 5 times! whoo! lol

Neoweee

That sounds like a positive to me. For a boss called Pursuer, in the original game he actually didn't pursue a lot. I'll probably buy this when it reaches 10e (with game + DLC discount)

And he isn't hard to despawn or ignore. He feels like this looming, menacing presence, without forcing the game's pace to slow.

Man the Pursuer is just everywhere now. Please fuck off, Pursuer.

One nice thing about the Pursuer fights is that they're much like the first one in FoFG. You can run the hell away, and he'll despawn and not come back. If you're willing to give up any phat loot he drops, just flee, and continue on. :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah summon signs are all over the place, at least on PC. Not that I'm complaining, I love co-op. I need to find the co-op covenant and join it already.

Im actually noticing a lot of npc summons. like theres a
healing bro with a lance in no mans wharf
, just took him and
lucatiel
to the boss lol. you can argue that defeats the purpose, and you would be right, but I already finished vanilla, and to be honest, I dont need the gratification. I love these games in spite of the difficulty, not because of it, the exploration and combat is what I like the most, not so much the bosses.

Oh and im not making excuses, im pretty shit at the games I fully admit :p Kinda relaxing playing coop tho I have to admit

Victrix

*beard*
One nice thing about the Pursuer fights is that they're much like the first one in FoFG. You can run the hell away, and he'll despawn and not come back. If you're willing to give up any phat loot he drops, just flee, and continue on. :p

He's not very good at his job

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The one thing I'm noticing about co-op is that if you do it a lot you start to outlevel the content. Or at least, that's my experience so far; I don't think I've died more than a handful of times and I just got to L
ost
B
astille
. I keep telling myself not to do any more co-op until I beat the game but it's just so damn fun. :)

Also I realized that helping someone beat a boss restores your humanity, which is awesome since I don't have that many human effigies.

Rhaknar

xgtcyb.png

f72.gif

Greatsword ^_^

saturnine

I decided to take a break from Bloodborne and see what's up with this remaster, and I have to say I'm enjoying myself much more with DS2 than with Bloodborne. I guess I prefer the slower pace of the game.

Some of the changes really threw me for a loop, and I love it. So many bp invasions.

But I have to ask, what the fuck were they thinking when they decided to put a npc summon in Belfry Sol?

He literally shows up where you least expect it. I've never dodged so hard in my life in Sinner's Rise.

The one thing I'm noticing about co-op is that if you do it a lot you start to outlevel the content. Or at least, that's my experience so far; I don't think I've died more than a handful of times and I just got to L
ost
B
astille
. I keep telling myself not to do any more co-op until I beat the game but it's just so damn fun. :)

Also I realized that helping someone beat a boss restores your humanity, which is awesome since I don't have that many human effigies.

Nothing like realizing, you are low on spells and going co-op, because you're a cheap bastard and don't want to use/buy items.

Alebrije

I decided to take a break from Bloodborne and see what's up with this remaster, and I have to say I'm enjoying myself much more with DS2 than with Bloodborne. I guess I prefer the slower pace of the game.

Some of the changes really threw me for a loop, and I love it. So many bp invasions.

But I have to ask, what the fuck were they thinking when they decided to put a npc summon in Belfry Sol?

Did you play DS2 on PS3 before? If so how do you feel the graphics changes ? Also compared to Bloodborne does the graphic downgrade impacts the way you see DS2 remaster?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
In vanilla I used a Lightning Bastard Sword and rolled pretty hard with Faith, but I remember people complaining most lightning attacks got nerfed. Are any of the other magics better in Scholar? I'm ready to put an effect on my Bastard this run and I figured it should coordinate with my magic of choice.

SOTFS Feels like a really awesome Hard mode remix so far. I still suck at PvP, but I've not once died during a boss fight (that I wasn't a phantom in)!

Absolutely, I love the new enemy placements and new types of enemies everywhere. It feels completely fresh and hard.

Damn, I have to admit I missed opening chests in every corner and finding stuff while playing Bloodborne...

Fucking
Smelter Demon
. I've never been this frustated for a boss in DS2 or DS1, when i played the original game i don't remember taking so long to kill him. It must have taken me 30 tries or something like that, and for half of those times he was at <10% health, guess i was too impatient.

I beat Ornstein and Smough on my 2nd try and i took this long to beat this fucker. SOTFS has gotten me a bit frustated due to the new enemy placements. but that's a good thing, i like this frustation, it makes me feel alive (and angry).

I like the 'new' enemy in the early game.
Not really new as they appear in NG+ for OG DS2, but I never played NG+. Quick moving assassins in black bird like sets. They freaked me out a bit as they came without warning. Cool enemies
I encountered them in
No Mans Wharf and Lost Bastille

Are invasions more common now or is it the same as in the original? I barely got invaded at all during my playthrough.

NPC or PC invasions? I haven't been invaded by PCs yet (not counting Bell Keepers). There seem to be more NPC invasions based on the areas I've visited (Forest through Sinners, Copse)

drotahorror

Really annoyed this hasn't popped up on PSN yet.

Have gone all digital since Diablo 3 and not one $60 title has been like this.

I bet the size has been inflated too. I downloaded DkS2 on PC the other day, 6.6gb I believe. This'll prolly be 30-50gb I'm guessing.

saturnine

Did you play DS2 on PS3 before? If so how do you feel the graphics changes ? Also compared to Bloodborne does the graphic downgrade impacts the way you see DS2 remaster?

Yes I did. There's definitely an upgrade, the game looks nicer, the framerate is really good, they added visual effects here and there, and the load times are greatly shortened, which stand in stark contrast with Bloodborne.

It's obvious the game was built for last gen, even with the graphical changes. DSII has no way to compete with Bloodborne on that front, but it's still a good looking game, and more importantly it's still a great game.

Robot Pants

Definitely hard. That's for sure. I've been lucky and haven't died to the new gank squads just yet, but I'm only halfway through Forrest of the Fallen Giants

ChrisG683

Is it just me, or are the Pursuer spawn points fixed, not random?

Granted I've only run into him at The Bastille, but between my playthrough and soapstone co-op, he always spawned in the same 3-4 locations for us. There's usually messages littered around with relating to the "phantom," too, so obviously lots of people are seeing him spawn in the same spot.

I can't wait to pick this up tomorrow on PS4. Hopefully I can snag one of those Gamestop pre-order posters.

I loved Demon Souls, skipped DS1 and 2 and I am currently playing BloodBorne.

I don't dare crack the seal on SOTFS until I beat BB.

Rhaknar

game has finally clicked (again, I finished vanilla) and Im having fun now. cleared
forrest of giants
and
no mans wharf fully
, half of
hilde tower
and working my way through
lost bastille now
. Most of the stuff is coming back to me, new stuff is cool, summoning npcs is cool, yup, its a dark souls game

Alebrije

Yes I did. There's definitely an upgrade, the game looks nicer, the framerate is really good, they added visual effects here and there, and the load times are greatly shortened, which stand in stark contrast with Bloodborne.

It's obvious the game was built for last gen, even with the graphical changes. DSII has no way to compete with Bloodborne on that front, but it's still a good looking game, and more importantly it's still a great game.

Temped to double deep before price drop, played the game but not the DLCs. Bloodborne is great but DS2 pace walking is nice , wish to see Majula,s new skin and that sunset over the sea

Rhaknar

Two-hand it!

im too scared :(

also the 2 hand moveset seems shit, I tried it a bit in Majula. fucking still love that sword tho, its the closest thing to Bloodborne weapons actually in terms of impact

best thing for it is to go +10 Raw if I remember correctly?

I wish the games gave better explanations for stat requirements and mechanics.

Dark Souls 2 has almost everything explained relatively well, though i can understand your complaint. Dark Souls 1, however, was very tough to learn. Thank god they made everything easier to understand with this game.

im too scared :(

also the 2 hand moveset seems shit, I tried it a bit in Majula. fucking still love that sword tho, its the closest thing to Bloodborne weapons actually in terms of impact

best thing for it is to go +10 Raw if I remember correctly?

Go for the Claymore instead of the Greatsword.

is the agape ring in the same place as the vanilla game? or does SOTFS change where you get items like that? i'm gonna buy on ps4 and want to rush to it so PVP is fun

I played through Dark Souls 1 over the past couple weeks after having owned it on PC for a while, and I ended up finally loving it enough that I jumped right into DS2 after finishing DS1. I'm having a blast; right now I'm getting some work done while occasionally picking up the controller to fend off
trespassers in the Grave of Saints
. I had to give up on my dual wielding build, as I'm not good enough to get past groups of mobs reliably, which seems like the norm in most areas. Regardless, I'm having fun rocking the sword and board!

Seriously though, have you tried it? It has a great move set compared to the greatswords, great for STR builds. For me the best weapon of Dark Souls.

What's the scaling on the claymore again? I thought it was more of a quality weapon. If he's gong STR then I think the greatsword would be a better option.

sobaka770

Banned
this tiny thing?

865ebf700194ab0bfceb7f9146014aec.gif

Funny enough, this zone in Dark Souls
Tomb of Giants
is not that scary. I actually enjoy killing skeletons down there and the boss is unfortunately kind of weak (although I like his appearance). Dark Souls however does seem to feed into every phobia
Slime in the Sewers is horrifying, Maggots and other stuff in Blighttown, not to stalk of those people with eggs on their backs near the boss, sick stuff.

I like the RPG mechanics in these games, but I'd say its horror, borderline jumpscare, inclinations may be a higher barrier than the difficulty curve to some people.

Top Bottom