• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

ironcreed

Banned
Oh god.... Man I have my complaints against Dark Souls 2 but the amount that people use the B-team card and "game is trash" line is just silly. Completely overshadows the fact that Dark Souls 2 is a good game in its own right, flaws and all.

What's funny is that even the 'A-team' Bloodborne has it's share of flaws as well, but certain individuals do not want to hear it. The fact of the matter is that none of these games are perfect and have various things that affect some more than others. Yet by the same token, they are all still utterly fantastic games.

NBtoaster

Studios CAN make more than one game at once if the people in charge know what's up, but this clearly was not the case with this game. No matter how you want to argue it.

Well its pretty evident they did make more than one game at once. In fact they were making at least 3 at once (including Armored Core: Verdict Day).

duck_sauce

Dark Souls II isn't anywhere close to Bloodborne's quality. But I just bought it and took off work all day. Still a fucking outstanding game that destroys pretty much everything else, in my eyes.

Atmosphere, sound, lore and graphics, yes Bloodborne is superior. Customisation, discovere and experimentation with class builds....Dark Souls 2 wins by a landslide.

Arived at the Dragon Aerie......great landscape.

Mogwai

Ive never tried Demon souls, dark souls or DS2, should I play DarkSouls and then DS2 or should I go directly for DS2?

To be honest, play them both. Just start with one or the other.

Just make sure that you actually play both. And Demon's Souls if you still have time.

Effect

Never played a souls game. Is it better to start with Dark Souls 1 or just pick up Dark Souls 2? Talking about PC or PS3 here.

Ayt

Banned
What's funny is that even the 'A-team' Bloodborne has it's share of flaws as well, but certain individuals do not want to hear it. The fact of the matter is that none of these games are perfect and have various things that affect some more than others. Yet by the same token, they are all still utterly fantastic games.

The C-Team clearly made Bloodborne given the arcade like combat and the lack of variety in builds, not to mention the chalice dungeons which feel like they were just tacked on to add filler.

Miyazaki wouldn't make a game like that.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ive never tried Demon souls, dark souls or DS2, should I play DarkSouls and then DS2 or should I go directly for DS2?
Most people will tell you to play Dark Souls 1 first. I don't think it matters that much. People say that because they *already* played DS1 first and thus found DS2 disappointing in some respects, despite it improving on the formula in some ways. I have a hunch that if you played DS2 first, there'd be a good chance that it wouldn't be disappointing at all and that DS1 might not seem as great either if played afterwards. DS1 has a fair amount of flaws that people are just less aggressive in talking about.

You wouldn't go wrong with either, though. Pick which one is most available/cheapest or whatever, I guess.

DS2 to me will have longer legs than Bloodborne without some form of DLC just due to the nature of the multiplayer and the larger variety of weapons.

ironcreed

Banned
The C-Team clearly made Bloodborne given the arcade like combat and the lack of variety in builds, not to mention the chalice dungeons which feel like they were just tacked on to add filler.

LOL. I do love the gameplay, despite how narrow your options are. I actually agree about the Chalice Dungeons, though. I would rather have actual world with more of that amazing level design.

Wereroku

DS2 to me will have longer legs than Bloodborne without some form of DLC just due to the nature of the multiplayer and the larger variety of weapons.

Bloodborne will have DLC. I liked both but I am not sure if the variety of weapons in DS2 is really that great since you only ever see people using a handful of them. Also I am not sure if I can go back to DS1 or DS2 for pvp since it's nothing but backstab spam.

Steel

Banned
Hate to post this again, but, it explains my thoughts exactly (from a PvE perspective at least) and much more eloquently - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI

And my bro Martyrs explains perfectly why the PvP is flawed as a result - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5olH7ibNjHA

You're telling people who have played the game in question already, to watch youtube videos to get the "right" opinion of the game? Yeah... You're assuming that people don't already know the flaws of the game.

I'm going to take a random guess at what those videos cover:

PvE:

Lack of interconnected world.
Tons of bonfires.
Too many stats.
Nonsensical geography(Lava-lake above mountain)
Most of the bosses are human-like. (While this is true, I find it hilarious that people don't point out Bloodbourne has the same problem with big creature enemies, one of them is literally a blown up version of a common enemy even).
Poise is broken, and as such most heavy armor is pointless.
Broken hitboxes

PvP:
Because poise is broken, people get stun-locked easily. Also, the way blow trading works, no matter how slow your swing is, you and the enemy will trade blows if you attack at the same time, making longer heavier hitting weapons have an advantage, hurting build variety in PVP. Bloodbourne has FAR worse pvp, on the other hand

Did I get it mostly right? Because despite all that I still think Dark Souls 2 is a great game.

At least the multiplayer is not broken.
Yeeeah.

Last night I tried to play with a friend in Bloodborne. It worked alright but it would take 5-10 minutes to connect to each other. It was really a pain in the ass if either one of us died. We even had to redo the bell ringing twice and restart PS4s once.

The entire time we never got invaded either.

Pretty much killed any interest I had in that game's longevity through multiplayer.

The hell with these guys criticizing the game. It's their opinion after all. But to me I am enjoying the hell out of this game and i went in completely blind when i got it on ps4

ironcreed

Banned
Yeeeah.

Last night I tried to play with a friend that I coop with in Bloodborne. It worked alright but it would take 5-10 minutes to connect to each other. It would was really a pain in the ass if either one of us died. We even had to redo the bell ringing twice and restart PS4s once.

The entire time we never got invaded either.

Pretty much killed any interest I had in that game's longevity through multiplayer.

I have sat there for nearly an hour on a couple of occasions for co-op. And for invasions the lag is awful when it does work. I would say that it is half working at best. The Souls series system destroys it. Just no comparison.

Wereroku

Bloodbourne has FAR worse pvp, on the other hand

Bloodborne's pvp is better but the connection system is worse. I really do miss summon signs.

I have sat there for nearly an hour on a couple of occasions for co-op. And for invasions the lag is awful when it does work. I would say that it is half working at best. The Souls series system destroys it. Just no comparison.

Do you have local set for multiplayer or Worldwide? Worldwide can make you encounter some terrible lag sometimes. Wish it was easier to get the Co-op's and invasions going in Bloodborne but they made them super opt in this time. Summon signs were the superior system even if they wouldn't fit the games theme.

Neoweee

It entertains me to no end that lifegem whining has gone away. Why? It used to be one of the largest complaints about Dark Souls 2. What happened?

takriel

Dark Souls II isn't anywhere close to Bloodborne's quality. But I just bought it and took off work all day. Still a fucking outstanding game that destroys pretty much everything else, in my eyes.
My opinion, as well. The more Souls games the merrier!

ArynCrinn

Banned
You're telling people who have played the game in question already, to watch youtube videos to get the "right" opinion of the game? Yeah... You're assuming that people don't already know the flaws of the game.

I'm going to take a random guess at what those videos cover:

PvE:

Lack of interconnected world.
Tons of bonfires.
Too many stats.
Nonsensical geography(Lava-lake above mountain)
Most of the bosses are human-like. (While this is true, I find it hilarious that people don't point out Bloodbourne has the same problem with big creature enemies, one of them is literally a blown up version of a common enemy even).
Poise is broken, and as such most heavy armor is pointless.
Broken hitboxes

PvP:
Because poise is broken, people get stun-locked easily. Also, the way blow trading works, no matter how slow your swing is, you and the enemy will trade blows if you attack at the same time, making longer heavier hitting weapons have an advantage, hurting build variety in PVP. Bloodbourne has FAR worse pvp, on the other hand

Did I get it mostly right? Because despite all that I still think Dark Souls 2 is a great game.

Not all of it no. But I don't find BB PvP to be any worse than DSII, although my fav is still Demon's.

Steel

Banned
Bloodborne's pvp is better but the connection system is worse. I really do miss summon signs.

Bloodbourne's pvp doesn't have the pvp covenants(well there are covenants, but they suck), has healing that's waaaay too easy, and lacks build variety. I haven't lost a match of Bloobourne PVP either and I still find it tedious.

Not all of it no. But I don't find BB PvP to be any worse than DSII, although my fav is still Demon's.

Demon's? I didn't find Demon's PVP interesting really. DS 1 PVP after all the patches was the best.

Wereroku

It entertains me to no end that lifegem whining has gone away. Why? It used to be one of the largest complaints about Dark Souls 2. What happened?

Did it go away? I would say lifegems are completely different from blood vials but either way DS2 was balanced around lifegems so they fit great in that game. I liked how they let you play longer since you didn't need to refill your flask as often.

Bloodbourne's pvp doesn't have the pvp covenants(well there are covenants, but they suck), has healing that's waaaay too easy, and lacks build variety. I haven't lost a match of Bloobourne PVP either and I still find it tedious.

DS1 and 2 both use pretty much the same builds unless you are trolling. Sorry healing in DS1 and 2 were easy as well with DS1 you could pop humanities for an easy heal and for DS2 high level gems could heal pretty quickly as well. Most of the loss of speed for BB comes from back stabs being pretty much gone. I will agree that the covenants are shitty though wish they would have copied DS2 with the arena's.

ironcreed

Banned
Do you have local set for multiplayer or Worldwide? Worldwide can make you encounter some terrible lag sometimes. Wish it was easier to get the Co-op's and invasions going in Bloodborne but they made them super opt in this time. Summon signs were the superior system even if they wouldn't fit the games theme.

I have tried on both. After switching to worldwide I managed to get it to work a couple of times, but then it went to shit again. I just dropped the multiplayer and am enjoying it by myself. Hell, I was only invaded one time in over 60 hours as well.

Shinjica

Hyperbole, hyperbole everywhere.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Demon's? I didn't find Demon's PVP interesting really. DS 1 PVP after all the patches was the best.

You didn't play during the heydays then! Had some amazing fight clubs.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
lol

Dark Souls II wouldn't be called Dark Souls II if Miyazaki was involved, and if he was (if Namco didn't just want to cash grab for a franchise sequel and waited for him to finish BB) Dark Souls II would be a completely different game as it is now, as proof by BB.

Fact is, Namco is the real scam here because they simply wanted to cash-in on the hype of the "brand" by making this game for the money, instead of waiting for BB to be finished and then letting the full force and creativity revist the Souls series after a lengthy hiatus after DS1. Truth be told Souls needed a long break after DS1, and after BB, the team would have been able to totally rethink and analyze the totality of a new Souls in a much fresher and more defined direction after their work on BB.

At this point, I'd rather the next Souls game take a LONG break until Miyazaki has another game under his belt whatever that may be. IMO

I like Dark Souls 2 a lot more than Dark Souls 1. /shrug

DS2 is anything but a cash grab. The amount of content in this game is staggering, the combat mechanics and build diversity are better than DS1, and while I haven't finished the game I've read that no areas reach the lows that some DS1 areas do (Lost Izalith yuck).

It may have been a better game had Miyazaki been involved, but it's the farthest thing from a cash grab. It's a legitimate attempt to create a good sequel, and I think it succeeded for the most part. Plus every franchise needs to branch out from its original creator sooner or later. Resident Evil is no longer a Mikami game, BioShock is no longer a Levine game, and MGS will no longer be a Kojima game after MGSV (that last one really hurts, though).

ArynCrinn

Banned

DS2 is anything but a cash grab. The amount of content in this game is staggering, the combat mechanics and build diversity are better than DS1, and while I haven't finished the game I've read that no areas reach the lows that some DS1 areas do (Lost Izalith yuck).

It may have been a better game had Miyazaki been involved, but it's the farthest thing from a cash grab. It's a legitimate attempt to create a good sequel, and I think it succeeded for the most part. Plus every franchise needs to branch out from its original creator sooner or later. Resident Evil is no longer a Mikami game, BioShock is no longer a Levine game, and MGS will no longer be a Kojima game after MGSV (that last one really hurts, though).

Repost -
Edit: And for the record, I'm not implying DSII is a terrible game, it's a "good game" worth playing on it's own merits, as long as you don't go in expecting the greatness of the previous two.. But, for the long time vets of the two previous, there's a massive backlash at a the literal super steps backwards, that until DSII defined the series (challenging but fair, etc).

All of those franchises will drastically suffer (RE anyone?) with the loss of Mikami, and will surely suffer with the loss of Levine/Kojima.

Game4life

Banned

Miyazaki just creates more compelling worlds. BB's enemy design, level design, bosses etc.. just shit on DS2 from a great height. Having said that, that is okay. DS2 is still a very good game in its own right. Not every game needs an auteur. DS3 by the second team without Miyazaki would turn out to be better than most games so it is not a great tragedy.

Who am I kidding? MGS without Kojima is going to suck.. :(

Steel

Banned
DS1 and 2 both use pretty much the same builds unless you are trolling. Sorry healing in DS1 and 2 were easy as well with DS1 you could pop humanities for an easy heal and for DS2 high level gems could heal pretty quickly as well. Most of the loss of speed for BB comes from back stabs being pretty much gone. I will agree that the covenants are shitty though wish they would have copied DS2 with the arena's.

Umm, no I'm not trolling. Like, in DS2 you're at a severe disadvantage if you're using a short weapon two-hand, but my best PVP character in DS1 used a 2H falchion with the wolf ring so I could actually take a hit without getting stun-locked, so yeah there was better build variety, and no I was not the guy who fished for back stabs. That aside, you could stun people in DS1 and DS2 until they're dead or lose most of their health if they make a fatal mistake(like trying to heal), you can't do that in Bloodbourne; every hit can be dodged out of. And Blood vials are even quicker use than humanity.

Wereroku

Yeah DS2 is definitely not a cash grab. It is a solid game and is up there with the other souls games.

Umm, no I'm not trolling. Like, in DS2 you're at a severe disadvantage if you're using a short weapon two-hand, but my best PVP character in DS1 used a 2H falchion with the wolf ring so I could actually take a hit without getting stun-locked, so yeah there was better build variety, and no I was not the guy who fished for back stabs. That aside, you could stun people in DS1 and DS2 until they're dead or lose most of their health if they make a fatal mistake(like trying to heal), you can't do that in Bloodbourne; every hit can be dodged out of. And Blood vials are even quicker use than humanity.

Sorry no I don't mean trolling here I meant builds purely for trolling like the acid cloud stuff. You can punish blood vials in BB as well it's just timing based instead of stun locking.

Maddanth

Was never really interested in this game until I played Bloodborne as that was my first souls game. I loved Bloodborne and I am wondering if these games are fairly similar as im thinking i would really enjoy this too. Any thoughts from people who have played both?

Moofers

I just bought this for PS4 and as soon as I get home with it my buddy tells me that he's been playing it and it has the weapon durability bug still. That's hot garbage. I'm not sure I even want to keep it now. I might actually take it back to the store.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Was never really interested in this game until I played Bloodborne as that was my first souls game. I loved Bloodborne and I am wondering if these games are fairly similar as im thinking i would really enjoy this too. Any thoughts from people who have played both?

Go for it. From Software action RPGs are all fantastic and all offer the same sense of dread and amazing fullfillment when you beat a boss.

Mogwai

I just bought this for PS4 and as soon as I get home with it my buddy tells me that he's been playing it and it has the weapon durability bug still. That's hot garbage. I'm not sure I even want to keep it now. I might actually take it back to the store.
See you until then.

Bloodborne is faster.

DS2 has more weapon and armor variety but is more methodical.

Give it a shot :)

Maddanth

Go for it. From Software action RPGs are all fantastic and all offer the same sense of dread and amazing fullfillment when you beat a boss.
Cool, Thx bud, gonna grab it when i get home from work. Love that sense of accomplishment in overcoming bosses and hard obstacles.

Wereroku

At a certain point the durability bug just needs to be called a game feature. If it got through multiple ports intact I doubt they ever intend to do the work to get rid of it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

To be very honest with you... Start with Dark Souls 2. It's a lot more accessible than DS1, and since it just launched it has a pretty active online community which means easier co-op when things start to get challenging.

I liked the first half of DS1 but the second half took a nosedive quality-wise. You can't go wrong with it either, but I just feel like DS2 is a better entry point into the series.

Top Bottom