• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

If you enjoyed the game play at all in Demon's or Dark Souls then you should definitely buy the game.

Not as good does not mean it is a bad game. Comparision between DemS, DS and DS2 are nitpicking of the highest degree. Still very good games. I think the main reason for saying that DS2 is not as good is the fact, das the boss encounter are not as creative as in previous games and the world design is kind of uninspired in DS2.

Still...keep in mind...DS2 still a pretty great games and miles ahead of anything that is released all year long. ;)

Well, I don't know if I enjoyed "gameplay" in demon/dark souls... The issue is that I played them after playing bloodborne and they run really bad (especially dark souls on Xbox). So it's hard to say why I disliked parts of those games... (For few hours that I did play)

But it looks like Dark Souls 2 is a good option... I might rent it... And I'm still a bit clueless about arguments about those games. People that say Dark Souls 2 is bad emphasize that it was a HUUUUUUUGE disappointment. But it does not tell me how different they actually are :)

Also a lot of people complain about bloodborne, but I don't see how bloodborne is worse that Dark Souls... There might be huge differences, but people don't explain themselves well and from what I played it's hard to see. :) In my book main differences are setting, variety, and performance. Other than that they all seem pretty much the same to me.

addyb

I've only "started" DS2 as I've finished my 50+ hour first run at DS. I can tell you already after just 5 hours with the game that while "hate" is probably unjustified, the game is definitely palpably worse than DS.

For me it's the usual argument: world cohesion. It's honestly a bit jarring seeing the two games back-to-back. Lordran made sense. I could feel its geography, verticality, connections. After first hours in DS2 I'm not feeling the world. I go left there's a castle, I go right there's a huge tower (which cannot be seen from the hub just a few meters away). Areas do not feel lived-in, and the connections are all long corridors or caves without much thought. Straight from the onset DS2 feels "gamey" where I think of the areas as game-levels rather than locations.

The positives are there too: my dual-wield build is challenging but feasible, I like the improved graphics and (don't kill me) lighter tone and more exposition from NPCs. But I think Dark Souls is more about discovery rather than boss fights or RPG elements, and I don't feel that I'm discovering Boletaria like I felt with Lordran, but rather playing a game. It's a good game though.

Yeah I agree about the locale. Besides that though I'm really enjoying it. Not really thought much about the connectivity between it all.

I've only "started" DS2 as I've finished my 50+ hour first run at DS. I can tell you already after just 5 hours with the game that while "hate" is probably unjustified, the game is definitely palpably worse than DS.

For me it's the usual argument: world cohesion. It's honestly a bit jarring seeing the two games back-to-back. Lordran made sense. I could feel its geography, verticality, connections. After first hours in DS2 I'm not feeling the world. I go left there's a castle, I go right there's a huge tower (which cannot be seen from the hub just a few meters away). Areas do not feel lived-in, and the connections are all long corridors or caves without much thought. Straight from the onset DS2 feels "gamey" where I think of the areas as game-levels rather than locations.

The positives are there too: my dual-wield build is challenging but feasible, I like the improved graphics and (don't kill me) lighter tone and more exposition from NPCs. But I think Dark Souls is more about discovery rather than boss fights or RPG elements, and I don't feel that I'm discovering Boletaria like I felt with Lordran, but rather playing a game. It's a good game though.

See, that's what's confusing to me. Dark Souls opening area kind of looks like crap to me. It might be because I played it on Xbox, but I really don't see how it is much better than other games. With demon's souls it's even worse. It's pretty much just bad looking blocks of concrete...

I watched speedruns of both games once I decided that I wan't going to finish them and I did see more areas that are interesting, but nothing that would make those games stand out. Is dark souls 2 just same area over and over again?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Wait I thought there was an option for offline play in this version? I really need to pull the cord again if I don't want to get invaded? FML.

jtar86

I gave it one more chance and I just can't do it. I think this is by far the worst souls game. Especially coming off of just finishing bloodborne. Why does it take so damn long to heal in this game. When you run out of stamina you're staggered for way to long. I just hate the decisions they made in this compared to DS and demons.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
4 of the 6 versions have the 'durability bug'. It's clearly not a bug at this point, it's the intended behavior.

This is why bonfires are so prevalent folks, it was designed to function this way.

Kalnos

Banned
See, that's what's confusing to me. Dark Souls opening area kind of looks like crap to me. It might be because I played it on Xbox, but I really don't see how it is much better than other games. With demon's souls it's even worse. It's pretty much just bad looking blocks of concrete...

I watched speedruns of both games once I decided that I wan't going to finish them and I did see more areas that are interesting, but nothing that would make those games stand out. Is dark souls 2 just same area over and over again?

He's saying that the world doesn't make sense spatially. Like, if you map the zones then it's illogical/impossible which makes it feel 'gamey'. Doesn't bother me at all tbh.

Dark Souls 2 has a ton of environmental variety if that's what you're after.

Lanrutcon

4 of the 6 versions have the 'durability bug'. It's clearly not a bug at this point, it's the intended behavior.

This is why bonfires are so prevalent folks, it was designed to function this way.

Bullshit.

If a weapon breaking from full in seconds is intended then From are terrible at their jobs, which we know they aren't. The bug is probably too deeply engrained in the engine to fix without serious effort at this point.

I cannot believe some people. Defending game bugs. Just how conditioned are you?

addyb

Man, it's hard coming from Bloodborne to this. The visuals, the combat...what an adjustment.

I think visually it looks pretty good. Agree it's not on par with BB. It took me a while to condition myself to the combat but now I'm rocking.

ironcreed

Banned
Wow, it looks great. One of my bigger complaints graphics wise was how flat it looked, loving the improvements. Majula looks a bit overdone though, but other than that it looks good.

Yeah, it's really nice. I was shocked coming from the PS3 version at how much better it looks and plays.

Anim

I have the base game on PC. Will I get the DLCs for the DX9 version by purchasing the upgrade on Steam or will it only unlock the DX11 version? I'm asking because I only have a DX10 card, so I won't be able to play the DX11 version until I change my GPU.

Ayt

Banned
I have the base game on PC. Will I get the DLCs for the DX9 version by purchasing the upgrade on Steam or will it only unlock the DX11 version? I'm asking because I only have a DX10 card, so I won't be able to play the DX11 version until I change my GPU.

Purchasing the DX11 version doesn't add anything to the DX9 version. All the DLC included in the DX11 version are tied to that version of the game.

sobaka770

Banned

If by opening area you mean the Undead Asylum then it's not really what I'm talking about. After you get to Lordran the first "area" is usually the
Undead Burg and Parish (although you can go to other places)
which are nice, but I also played on PC with texture mod. The point is not about the "greyness" which I don't think is true, since other locales are vastly different, but more about the internal logic of the world.
Undead Burg
is grey, sure, but it feels like a small stone town, not like a "level". From there the way to
Undead Parish
is not a corridor and the area loops back creating a consistent image.

Dark Souls 2 also has a large variety of locales but their internal logic is not there and the interconnections (so far) are just linear rooms or caves as I said, which is hardly memorable.

Sinatar

Bullshit.

If a weapon breaking from full in seconds is intended then From are terrible at their jobs, which we know they aren't. The bug is probably too deeply engrained in the engine to fix without serious effort at this point.

I cannot believe some people. Defending game bugs. Just how conditioned are you?

It doesn't break in 'seconds' captain hyperbole. In 200 hours playing at 60 fps, I've only ever used repair powder in Norman's Wharf. With the new shortcut, even that isn't necessary anymore.

Anim

Purchasing the DX11 version doesn't add anything to the DX9 version. All the DLC included in the DX11 version are tied to that version of the game.

That's unfortunate. So I guess there is no way to get the DX9 version of SotFS, the one from the table in the OP?

elhav

Fuck I caved in and bought this, even though I told myself I'll wait for a price drop. Fuck.

Well, FROM deserve the money so I feel less bad about this.

I feel like I'm enjoying my time with SotFS more than Bloodborne. I mean, there are so many great things about Bloodborne in terms of art style and how visceral combat is. But something about Dark Souls 2 has just got me hooked. I think it's because how much I feel in control of my character and their playstyle. Like I'm really excited to try new weapons and armor when I get them and explore new areas. Was disappointed in the gameplay variety that Bloodborne had and its sense of exploration. The DLC has proven VERY good so far too (played Sunken and Old Iron). Did Fume Knight last night and I feel like that's the most I've wiped on a boss in a Souls game in a while. And then on my winning attempt I got through it without being hit... go figure. Really hard but in a good way.

Sinatar

Did the same durability bug pop up in that 60fps Dark Souls 1 hack?

Nope. Or if it did it wasn't noticeable since durability goes down super slowly in that game.

Again this is how they want it. This is why bonfires repair your gear for free, this is why bonfires are *everywhere* and this is why they put the durability of your gear directly on your main HUD.

Steel

Banned
so i am a sorcerer now,is there a way to change into knight or any other melee class ?

? Classes don't matter at all. Just invest in different skills. If you're deep in the game and want to reallocate points then visit the old lady's at the start of the game and they do that for you if you have the right item.

ironcreed

Banned
I feel like I'm enjoying my time with SotFS more than Bloodborne. I mean, there are so many great things about Bloodborne in terms of art style and how visceral combat is. But something about Dark Souls 2 has just got me hooked. I think it's because how much I feel in control of my character and their playstyle. Like I'm really excited to try new weapons and armor when I get them and explore new areas. The DLC has proven VERY good so far too (played Sunken and Old Iron). Did Fume Knight last night and I feel like that's the most I've wiped on a boss in a Souls game in a while. And then on my winning attempt I got through it without being hit... go figure. Really hard but in a good way.

I love Bloodborne and think it is a masterpiece in it's own right, but going back to Dark Souls and the freedom it provides can't be beat. If anything, it just makes me realize how constrained I actually was in Bloodborne.

Hopefully I can pick this up in May if I don't blow my disposable budget entirely on movies. Used my $5 BBreward on Sunset OD since I'm still working through BB and have to finish Lost Izalith and end-game of Dark Souls.

Plus all of Demon's, though I can do DkSII first instead since I had already played a few hours of the PS3 version. Even though it was just the opening stages, I didn't understand the hate. Sure, the hit boxes and attack tracking wasn't as tight as DkS, but it was really easy to adjust to iirc.

Edit: Top of page in an OT of a game I don't own yet. What have I done?

Sid

So...are the graphical upgrades worth a purchase on PC? I've looked at a few youtube vids but all I could see is some color grading that sucks donkey balls. They've completely blown out the highlights in Majula, and some of the tweaks to indoor colors looks weird.
Man it looks pretty much the same,there just isn't a big difference TBH

Ce-Lin

I love Bloodborne and think it is a masterpiece in it's own right, but going back to Dark Souls and the freedom it provides can't be beat. If anything, it just makes me realize how constrained I actually was in Bloodborne.

this, Bloodborne is truly magnificent, best game of this console generation, but I went back to Dark Souls for a couple of hours (ended playing a full day and going all the way to Sen Fortress) and I felt free to roam and explore as I wished (with no loading times)... apart from that I still think Demon's Souls is the best of both worlds, I guess I'd pick Dark Souls as the best game ever, DS2 being more like an experiment which was fun but it lacked a bit of "soul" and a lot of polish, clearly made by the B-team.

AmyS

I bought it for PS4 -- This is my first experience playing DS2. Love it so far.

How much extra content did the three DLCs provide ?

Neoweee

Nope. Or if it did it wasn't noticeable since durability goes down super slowly in that game.

Again this is how they want it. This is why bonfires repair your gear for free, this is why bonfires are *everywhere* and this is why they put the durability of your gear directly on your main HUD.

Durability is a fundamentally different system here than in the other games, and overall making weapons work like healing items and spell charges is good for making various builds at least feel like the same game. There's definitely room for tweaking, but I prefer they use something resembling this system rather than the old one.

I can't really tell a reason why durability is even in Bloodborne or Dark Souls 1.

Neoweee

I bought it for PS4 -- This is my first experience playing DS2. Love it so far.

How much extra content did the three DLCs provide ?

A lot. 10 bosses and three major regions each of multiple zones. They were very well received.

Some of the loot was merged into the main game.

Mogwai

Wtf, I thought those golden knights at Dragon Shrine were supposed to be friendly?

I just did a suicide run to AD. They were all over the place!?

addyb

Noob question but at what point in the game can I access the dlc. I've done
no man's wharf and lost bastille along with the opening 2 areas.
Also am I best leaving them til end game or before I start NG+?

Lanrutcon

It doesn't break in 'seconds' captain hyperbole. In 200 hours playing at 60 fps, I've only ever used repair powder in Norman's Wharf. With the new shortcut, even that isn't necessary anymore.

I'm dead serious, dude. Just cause you've got magical fingers that never fudge an extra swing when the target is dead doesn't mean it's not an issue. My freaking broadsword broke at the top of ladder from the first bonfire in Giant's Forest. The room that had the first Heide Knight is now full of enemies, and a single extra swing while fighting the ambush swarm broke the blade. Back in vanilla I had whips break instantly when fighting large enemies and using a multi-hitting attack.

I get durability. I understand the concept and the intended implementation, but the 60 fps thing is so clearly a technical booboo that I am boggled by people that claim otherwise. Either I'm completely naive about From's intention or you all are tripping balls.

Balls, gentlemen.

If by opening area you mean the Undead Asylum then it's not really what I'm talking about. After you get to Lordran the first "area" is usually the
Undead Burg and Parish (although you can go to other places)
which are nice, but I also played on PC with texture mod. The point is not about the "greyness" which I don't think is true, since other locales are vastly different, but more about the internal logic of the world.
Undead Burg
is grey, sure, but it feels like a small stone town, not like a "level". From there the way to
Undead Parish
is not a corridor and the area loops back creating a consistent image.

Dark Souls 2 also has a large variety of locales but their internal logic is not there and the interconnections (so far) are just linear rooms or caves as I said, which is hardly memorable.

I did get to
Undead Burg
and even explored few areas that I wan't supposed too. I guess connections to other levels is kind of cool, but on Xbox going into some areas meant hitting what felt like single digit framerate, which ruined the experience. In either case I don't see it as a huge difference people are making it out to be. I guess similar/repetitive bosses could get on my nerves... I will rent DS2 for sure.

Top Bottom