• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is there a reason for the
armor on the ground where you pick up the kings ring near Vendrick to be all sparkly now
? is that a new thing or just for effect?

is there a reason for the
armor on the ground where you pick up the kings ring near Vendrick to be all sparkly now
? is that a new thing or just for effect?

Yes.

Once you get the Ashen Heart you can go there and go into the "Memory of the King" where you can speak with Vendrick in the past. It's from one of the DLCs

I've been having a pretty good run despite the changes, I was able to defend myself from 3 separate Dark Spirits by pelting them with throwing knives before they got to me.

This is probably one I'll have to look up later but I don't think this area look this good on DX9.
aRSQUiR.png

It's great to get people that know the game well.

http://i.imgur.com/KdRIE9r.png
It's great to know that this little swarm is just as mean as before

Beating the Trio with 3 people was fun, and thanks to them I'm in a new area I haven't seen before...

I can't wait to get deeper.

Well, I managed to beat all three Chasms. Now only Darklurker remains. With a melee build. This is so fun. Yay.

Yay.

Thats's what I've been working on tonight. 20 human effigies later and various strategies used, still no closer. The closest I got was actually on my first attempt. This was the toughest part of the vanilla version for me as well.

Everything's fine until the split happens and you're being attacked from both sides.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You have to light all the torches now.

was just about to ask this heh. what about the locked door in the hallway with the hippoguys? I did the wall breaking stuff but cant find a key for the door

32 hours into my first ever playthrough and going in blind, no walkthroughs or any of that jazz, been messing around with my build as I go depending on what random crap I find along the way. Spent a bit of time doddering about looking for the next area to make some progress from time to time, but it's been smooth sailing for the most part. Currently at the Undead Crypt at Lvl 132, stats are as follows:

VGR: 21
END: 20
VIT: 48
ATN: 10
STR: 35
DEX: 20
ADP: 16
INT: 3
FTH: 13

Got a bit of faith just so I could use the heal miracle earlier on in the game to make up for a lack of estus uses and lifegems, made the first couple of areas much easier. Then after that it was all about the big weapons, and heavy physical defense. Using the Royal Solider's Ring +1 to increase my equip load by 15% and to get it up to 116.1, the bracing knuckle Ring +1 to lower the durability loss for my weapons by 35% and my armour and rings by 25%, the Ring Of Life +1 to increase my health by 7.5%, and the Ring Of Blades +1 to give myself 35 extra attack. I can wear a ton of heavy armours and big, slow hard hitting weapons and still be just under the equip load requirment of 70% to get a compotent roll without falling into the "fatroll" tier. Weilding a Claymore +10, Greatsword +10, a Drangliec Sheild, a clerics chime, and a longbow along with the mirror knight armor set so it's a ton of stress on my equip load!

So fun to be able to kill bosses in just a few weak hits and easily block almost all physical damage from the bosses! Been helping people beat bosses to earn a bit of souls on the side for weapon upgrades and stuff.

bSNbHQm.jpg

Love this armour set.

was just about to ask this heh. what about the locked door in the hallway with the hippoguys? I did the wall breaking stuff but cant find a key for the door

You mean the one with the chains? You need to lure the hippo guys to the door and bait them to swing, and he'll break the door down. Just make sure he's close enough.

Just had an awesome session, so glad I picked this up. Dark souls 2 is even better than I remember, and with all the changes and updates this game has got, it's so refined. I've been invading, exploring, levelling. The graphics look damn good too.

SRTtoZ

Does anyone know where I get the key to that secret door thats covered in branches in
the Shrine of Amana?

Ughh so I cant summon or be summon in the game. I have the White Sign Soapstone and unhallow as well. Stupid question short, did the summoning change in the game? I am online since I can see the outline of players and their messages as well. In the menu I cant click on "Go Online" but it says its connecting online when I start the game.

Any ideas?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ughh so I cant summon or be summon in the game. I have the White Sign Soapstone and unhallow as well. Stupid question short, did the summoning change in the game? I am online since I can see the outline of players and their messages as well. In the menu I cant click on "Go Online" but it says its connecting online when I start the game.

Any ideas?

PS4? Did you suspend and resume, by any chance?
If so, exit to the main menu and hold down the PS button and close the application. Then, just relaunch the game.
An odd bug that also affects Bloodborne, oddly enough.

Rhaknar

yoooooooooooooooo this
dragon knight fella right at the start of dragon shrine, near a big fucker
, he looks so pretty.

can I have his armor pls? :3

edit: wait theres a bunch of them. this is new for sure

HereticJ

Does anyone know where I get the key to that secret door thats covered in branches in
the Shrine of Amana?

Endgame spoilers:
You first must kill Vendrick in the Undead Crypt, then go to that door again while human (doesn't work if you're undead) and I believe it should open for you unless something changed from the last gen version.

Rhaknar

hmm these
dragon knights
arent new, they just look prettier I think, and theres a lot more of then. I assume they all aggro if I
take the egg and/or attack ancient dragon
?

I dont even know what the
egg
is for anyway, and I have no desire to fight the
ancient dragon
>_>

Dominator

Played for a few hours earlier and it's just not grabbing me. Bloodborne sucked me in immediately and I'm finding it hard to play this one for some reason. I'll play for a little bit more but I fear my time with it is coming to an end.

So I played for about an hour and got part way through the giant forest near majula but my mace and healing item broke and now I just have weak as daggers and short swords to rely on. Should I just restart the game? Is there any simple way to repair my broken items?

Also how do I actually spend souls on levelling? I had a couple thousand but lost them all since I didn't really know where to cash them in. :/

2AdEPT

so when should i tackle the DLC? im at the shrine of amana now.

As always there are specific items there that you may want to get early. THe bosses are mostly pretty tough though, some of the toughest in the series. I would go in to each find some good items, but perhaps leave the bosses for later. Always go in and check out a DLC when you find one though.

def sim

hmm these
dragon knights
arent new, they just look prettier I think, and theres a lot more of then. I assume they all aggro if I
take the egg and/or attack ancient dragon
?

I dont even know what the
egg
is for anyway, and I have no desire to fight the
ancient dragon
>_>

Yeah, they only want to bow and see you tear down the enemies that do aggro. I like the change; it's certainly not the horde mess the screenshot posted last week was depicting.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Man this is one of those games that looks much better in action than it does in screenshots.

Plus playing it again in 60fps is wow. Didn't realize what I was missing.

Yea, some aspects still look rough, but the uncompressed textures really highlight how detailed some of the armor and weapons are. I am really loving the makeover it received in terms of the improved lighting and darkened zones as well. Torches are definitely useful now.

Also greatly enjoying the remixed enemies and item layouts. Game feels far more natural in how it divvies up treasure with a more natural progression. New enemies guarding locations that were once empty or devoid of interference has made this version feel more complete and polished. More variety in the actual combat encounters too, at least in the first few zones I have visited thus far.

For fucks sake. The enemies still have bullshit hit boxes with their attacks. And not to mention how they magically track you 360 degree even after they've initiated their attack.

Fucking bullshit. Well, looks like I'll be turtling this game....again.

Answered already, but you really have to get accustomed to dodging at the last second due to certain enemies delayed tracking, not a big deal once you do but conditioning to it is rough. Build up your AGL stat (LAME) but you really feel quite a difference in the i-frames starting in the mid-90's and beyond where maneuverability is somewhat more forgiving while dodging. Game starts to feel more familiar at that point.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Welp, I'm obviously doing something wrong, because I just can't beat
Darklurker
with a melee character. I just can't avoid the fire, the magic bombs, the lasers and the spears at the same time. And the camera isn't exactly your best friend with enemies that are higher than your character...

Is there something wrong with my character? I'm using a Claymore+10 and whatever heavy armor I can get without going over 70% encumberance. Should I change something? Stats, equipment, build, etc.

Quoting myself for some help :(

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
NPC (i think?) summon spoiler
Just summoned a guy wearing Havels armor and rocking two shields. Im almost positive this was an NPC cause his name was very NPCish..... but he was getting down with two shields LMFAO.

Also... dumb question but how do I check for illusory walls? I see a lot of messages saying "Illusory Wall". I assume most are trolls but every now and then Ill come across one with a really high rating on it so I think its real. But if I attack the wall nothing happens.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
so when should i tackle the DLC? im at the shrine of amana now.

I was at that point when I dove into the first DLC on PS3. Felt perfectly fine and balanced for my gear at that time, so I imagine it still holds up the same. Held off on DLC2/3 for this port, but the first pack alone took over 12 hours to fully complete and was by far some of the best content seen in the entire game.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Lost Sinner has got my number :/ I cannot beat this thing for the life of me. Starting to regret doing a battlemage. The lack of stamina is killing me.

(Also the slow healing animation is ridiculous, seriously.)

Just summoned a guy wearing Havels armor and rocking two shields. Im almost positive this was an NPC cause his name was very NPCish..... but he was getting down with two shields LMFAO.

Also... dumb question but how do I check for illusory walls? I see a lot of messages saying "Illusory Wall". I assume most are trolls but every now and then Ill come across one with a really high rating on it so I think its real. But if I attack the wall nothing happens.

You need to press the confirm button to check for a illusory wall.

You have to press X against them now. Also, messages can't 'block' a secret wall, so if there's a message and you can't open the wall, it's just someone being an asshole.

Rhaknar

ok so I did the
3 giant memories
, the
dragon memory
, I have 4
giant souls
(im not fighting the
ancient dragon
for the 5th I cba with that fight and at my soul lvl im not finding any summons there) so I guess all I have left is
Vendrick
and then the last boss
(es)
before the DLC correct?

def sim

ok so I did the
3 giant memories
, the
dragon memory
, I have 4
giant souls
(im not fighting the
ancient dragon
for the 5th I cba with that fight and at my soul lvl im not finding any summons there) so I guess all I have left is
Vendrick
and then the last boss
(es)
before the DLC correct?

Sure. I was told to do the DLC before beating the game, maybe that makes more sense in a narrative standpoint.

So I played for about an hour and got part way through the giant forest near majula but my mace and healing item broke and now I just have weak as daggers and short swords to rely on. Should I just restart the game? Is there any simple way to repair my broken items?

Also how do I actually spend souls on levelling? I had a couple thousand but lost them all since I didn't really know where to cash them in. :/

Restart. It's probably quicker.

Keep an eye on the red bar under your weapon. If it goes low, switch to another weapon. They repair automatically at bonfires but not if you break them completely, then you need a blacksmith and he isn't available until you reach the second bonfire in there and do a specific thing.

You spend souls at the Emerald Herald in Majula. You must have missed her.

Rhaknar

Sure. I was told to do the DLC before beating the game, maybe that makes more sense in a narrative standpoint.

hmm good idea. I checked my inventory and I have the 3 things needed for the 3 dlcs so I might do that

Restart. It's probably quicker.

Keep an eye on the red bar under your weapon. If it goes low, switch to another weapon. They repair automatically at bonfires but not if you break them completely, then you need a blacksmith and he isn't available until you reach the second bonfire in there and do a specific thing.

You spend souls at the Emerald Herald in Majula. You must have missed her.
Thanks, will start over since this feels hopeless.

edit: took no time getting past where I was before

Abylim

Quoting myself for some help :(

I got myself a 100% dark block shield, and put on some dark defense rings.

Even being able to block some of their attacks, its still too chaotic when theres
two of them

I'm going to do what I did last time, respec into int/fth and go pyro its ass.

Mogwai

So how much are the graphics actually improved? I'm thinking about buying this just because my 360 stopped functioning and I didn't get to finish it.
The PS4/Xbone versions look like the PC version. The dark areas are more dark and requires you to either fight blind or equip a torch. It adds quite a lot to the atmosphere.

Except that, nothing noteworthy regarding the graphics.

Top Bottom