• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

derwalde

I was at that point when I dove into the first DLC on PS3. Felt perfectly fine and balanced for my gear at that time, so I imagine it still holds up the same. Held off on DLC2/3 for this port, but the first pack alone took over 12 hours to fully complete and was by far some of the best content seen in the entire game.

But the doors are closed?!

Don't compare upgraded weapons to freshly found ones - check their movesets, rather than their damage. If you like the way they feel and fight, upgrade them. Basically any weapon in the entire game can be used start to finish, as long as it's upgraded and you have the appropriate stats for it.

Parrying is tough, the timing varies not just from enemy to enemy, but also based on the item you're using to parry (there are some offhands/shields better at it, in terms of more frames that count as a parry). Really it's not something you should worry about unless you find it fun to do and learn, either use a shield or learn to dodge well.

I see, the only issue is the materials for upgrading new weapons, but I'm just less than halfway through the game I think, so I should be fine, it's such a shame I can't swing that awesome twinblade without making a ton of damage xD
About the parry, I did not try the shields much, for now my playstyle is account a moderate damage (dragelic set <3) roll and massive damage when possible, I'm perfectly aware that I should avoid damage to be successful in DS but so far I'm trying to enjoy the whole experience without too much stress.

BigDes

Got summoned in to a full gank squad for Smelter Demon last night

Apparently if you go in with a full group the AI cannot handle it because he literally stood there while we whittled him down.

addyb

So did the
scorpion lady, skeleton lords and I'm now upto the chariot
after this should I head back to earthen peak and start that?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finished forest of giants with my mage, got my str and dex up to firesword range which is great. now im torn:

should I get STR up to 16 to use Drangleic shield, which as far as I know, is the best medium shield with 100 block defense.

some mage guides say for sure, some have fuck all STR so obviously they are not using it. what say you mages? Im actually leaning towards no, and just relying on dodging. If I continue this mage im gonna coop as much as possible bosses so I rush to the end where my tank is so I catch up, im thinking of what normal mobs I might actually need a shield for that I cant pew pew from a distance

Man, those new dudes at Heide Tower are a pain in the ass. I wish I had known beforehand what aggro's them. Now I have to put up with them while I do the rest of the area.

Caja 117

So, Getting more comfortable with the Game, I have basically reach a Place in the Forrest of Giants where Im guessing Im in the front of the Fog door that leads to the First Boss (there is like a giant sword that you can walk up to get a Item). I did fought a Mid Boos, called "The Pursuer" I basically was backpacked by a CoOp player a Summoned previously) I decided that Im going to do in the first play a Dext/INT Build, usually I go with STR/INT but after Bloodborne I want to try and play using more rolls and less tank.

Great Game so far.

Steel

Banned
You said it happened as you described. so you had 3 daggers break in the tutorial area?
Edit. 2 daggers

He had one dagger. If you start as deprived, you get nothing. He's using the dagger he found in the fire keepers house. Your reading comprehension fails.

Ayt

Banned
finished forest of giants with my mage, got my str and dex up to firesword range which is great. now im torn:

should I get STR up to 16 to use Drangleic shield, which as far as I know, is the best medium shield with 100 block defense.

some mage guides say for sure, some have fuck all STR so obviously they are not using it. what say you mages? Im actually leaning towards no, and just relying on dodging. If I continue this mage im gonna coop as much as possible bosses so I rush to the end where my tank is so I catch up, im thinking of what normal mobs I might actually need a shield for that I cant pew pew from a distance

Save the strength unless you need it for a weapon. Just get the 100% shield from McDuff if you think you definitely need it.

The tutorial segments with the pillars that describe the gameplay happen after you pick your class, thus why I literally describe them as a "tutorial".

As for the the guy who told me to "backstab" or the guy who told me to "use my other weapons", I was attempting (as someone whom has completed the game 3 times) to backstab by default and still ended up as described + plus I started as deprived, so the dagger was my first weapon.

It's embarrassing that they didn't fix this, and I honestly feel embarrassed I spent money on this iteration, and honestly it's embarising any "fan" of the series is trying to defend this, because come the fuck on, this is a fix that by any reasonable metric should have been fixed by a paid upgrade with no other changes (to the PC version) other than what a fucking romhack 10 years ago could have done to super metroid achieved. .

I think you're a little too easily embarrassed. Buck up sir.

The 12 STR shield you get from McDuff is enough. No need to sink more points into it.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Is the DLC stuff you will stumble upon through the normal course of completing the game or do you need to really seek it out? I have no clue how to access it but don't want to miss it. I'll look up guides if I need to but id rather just play naturally if I will still access it that way.

Dimmle

Is there a level recommendation for the DLC? I dipped my toes into the Sunken City last night and boy howdy, those gents sure hit hard.

Roshin

What is the most souls you've lost?

I'm in the Tower of Flame and earlier today, I lost about 10 000 souls to one of the big burly knights. One of them had killed me, I thought "No problem", respawned, went after my souls while dodging a knight, and stepped off an edge before I could reach them. I'm sure my neighbours were intrigued when they heard me yelling "No! Fuck you! My souls!".

Just now I played a bit in the same area, got up to 11 000 souls when I got killed and went through the exact same thing again. I rarely ragequit games, but godammit...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been playing hard mode under the covenant of champions and only now just realized that it locks you out of co-op entirely! Kept wondering why summon signs weren't showing up at bosses and such! Nor why my white stone was always greed out.

I like that it does not remove enemy encounters after multiple kills though. Never liked that change in vanilla, but I'm kind of a masochist that wants to clear checkpoints as intended without the game removing encounters if I get stuck. Maybe I'll stick with it until I truly feel lost. switching covenants resets the game to default state correct?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I'm in the Tower of Flame and earlier today, I lost about 10 000 souls to one of the big burly knights. One of them had killed me, I thought "No problem", respawned, went after my souls while dodging a knight, and stepped off an edge before I could reach them. I'm sure my neighbours were intrigued when they heard me yelling "No! Fuck you! My souls!".

Just now I played a bit in the same area, got up to 11 000 souls when I got killed and went through the exact same thing again. I rarely ragequit games, but godammit...

Souls don't matter. You will be losing hundreds of thousands in the late game and shrugging it off. Only the early hours when you are slowly building up your stats are when they feel most vital. They come fast and loose by the mid game. Dark 1 and demon were the same way.

Jito

Banned
The Bitch Slap spree continues, I've just downed
Dragon Rider
although it's like the easiest boss in the game. Heading into the
Gutter
next to change up the order from my first play through.

I'm finding it a lot easier than BB at the moment, enemies attack so slowly at the moment that I can just jog away or roll around them whilst they swing.

addyb

I lost 120k on demons souls and that did bother me. These days I don't tend to have that much on me to lose. Normally when I've 10-20k I'll spend them on restocking items or levelling.

zeox

The area the bird takes you to has an extremely important item and you can't reach that room from the other way.
So I am screwed then? Damn. What item is it? (I've finished the vanilla game three times, no need to worry about spoilers)

Arafo

Is there a level recommendation for the DLC? I dipped my toes into the Sunken City last night and boy howdy, those gents sure hit hard.

DLC levels up based on your SM. So if you have a high SM, you are gonna have a hard time. For me, level 150 and SM around 4m worked fine in vanilla version.

FarmerGiles

Just lost 100,000+ souls fighting a couple of those tricky little Manikin bastards in
Drangleic Castle

Ergh...

Loving everything about the SotFS so far though, just about to get to
the Mirror Knight

Durability really isn't an issue once you actually start playing the game, I assume most people that are moaning are all near the beginning of the game. Rings, Bonfires, Magic, Items, multiple weapon slots, there are multiple ways of managing durability.

partyboy

The durability thing is irritating, but I've put ~50 hours into Scholar and in all that time I've only ever had to switch weapons maybe 3 times? to avoid a break. I've probably used just as many repair powders as well. And I'm almost completely careless with my attacks. If your weapons are breaking regularly either you're going psycho on walls or you're spending too much time in between bonfires.

First playthrough complete, now it's on to the DLC and a few optional things before I venture into NG+.

I have to say, I breezed through the main game with very few problems, but the first DLC area I'm working on (Old Iron King) is absolutely destroying me. I gave up in frustration last night. I'm sure part of it has to do with experience since I had already completed the vanilla version a couple of times, but it still feels like the difficulty has been turned up about 200%.

And what is it with my second sword swing always passing right through the skeleton knight guys? Happens nearly every time.

Victrix

*beard*
Iron King is just flat brutal, Brume Tower was only the second area in the game I really didn't enjoy (above Shrine of Amana).

Really annoying constant background noise, lots of cramped corridor fights, tons of dangerous enemies, just not a pleasant place to explore at all.

And because they are so thick and dangerous, you're often forced to hit a bonfire to refuel, and then you get to do it all again.

Cool area, but you spend most of it inside the tower, if they'd had some side areas on the
volcanic plains, that would have been pretty sweet. Instead you got the Iron Passage which was even more hellish, which is a feat. Capped off with a repeat boss. Blech.

Liked the story, liked the towers, didn't like the gameplay or the interiors. It did have an excellent final boss though, and a very cool side story boss.

First and third dlc make up for it though, the third is, appropriately, a crowning glory for the finale. Wonderful area, story, some damn cool boss fights
what the hell just ate me! An invisible tiger?! And goddamn at that Chaos descent. Incredible stuff. Eleum Loyce is a wonderful setting and a sad city

DS2 has an annoyingly hard early game, very inconsistent early area quality, and some dud boss fights, but it has some really, really awesome late game areas, and the breadth of gameplay is genuinely impressive. With the great NG+ support, you could play this game for a few hundred hours easy exhausting various builds, and that's if you don't enjoy PvP, which is surprisingly fun.

Needs a new player non spoily survival guide, there's a bunch of things that you really should know that make the game a lot more enjoyable - both mechanically and even a few mindset things if you're coming in as a bigtime DeS/DS fan.

It's a little funny and a little sad how evident it is that a ton of people set their opinion on the game in stone based on the first <3 hours of gameplay, this is a 60+ hour game JUST doing the main game content one time, and probably longer than that if you really try to do and see everything, totally ignoring pvp or ng+ or new characters.

it's almost time. i'll be starting (or revisiting?) this in a bit. did anyting about the stat weight change fundamentally?

it's going to feel weird after bloodborne.

Just bought this for PS4. Suggestions for starting class etc? I am a very noob player, want a noob friendly suggestions.
3AQmK.gif

VinFTW

it's almost time. i'll be starting (or revisiting?) this in a bit. did anyting about the stat weight change fundamentally?

it's going to feel weird after bloodborne.

I agree, it's gonna be interesting when I pick up my copy soon lol

I'm sure it'll take a few hours to re-adjust, specifically the dodging/dashing.

I can't wait to dive back into this gem.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just bought this for PS4. Suggestions for starting class etc? I am a very noob player, want a noob friendly suggestions.
3AQmK.gif

cleric is not a bad choice for a start, get the mace and a healing spell. In the end it doesn't matter too much what class you start with though. Just go with what you think you will have fun with.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So the best strength weapon is the club? I've been doing pretty well with it. Str at 30 but I'm not finding many strength weapons at all.

Top Bottom