• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Tarkus

Pffft, 50 ppp peasants...

Nooooooooooooooooooooo
Fuck off with the poise already! LET IT GO

(Besides that just sounds like baseless speculation to me...)
Bbbbbbbut regarding poise, “This isn’t something we are particularly proud of,” said Miyazaki. “With how things are handled now, it can be improved and this is an agenda item we’ll be working on in the future.”

I need medium and heavy armor to actually be worth using and poise would make them worthwhile, especially when using the weapons that have no hyper armor. We have to have something to break up the monotony of everyone using the same old light armors and Carthus Curved Swords.

RiggyRob

You should buy said Catarina set should the well ever run dry

That sounds...oddly specific.

Black Leather Armor is the Thief starting set Dark Souls 1, but Patches wears it as well. Pate had his own set, I think.

Pate wears the warrior gear from DS1 doesn't he, or a variation on it at least.

edit - I hate when an off topic quick reply I make hits the top of the next page!

Oh, so Patches' armour isn't anything special/lore-related?

Also I thought Pates' stuff was based on a centurion because of the spear, shield and style of helm.

mstevens

I hope the DLC is accessible wherever you are in the story. I have my save parked at the very end of the game.

Got back into the groove this week by helping my friend finish up some final bosses... Feeling ready for some more Dark Souls!

Oh, so Patches' armour isn't anything special/lore-related?

Also I thought Pates' stuff was based on a centurion because of the spear, shield and style of helm.
Patches wears the Black Leather set which is the DS1 thief class armour, and he is a thief so I suppose that's mildly lore related, I don't know if there's anything more to it.

Pate has the weapons he does because he's DS2's version of Patches and Patches has had a spear and great shield since Demon's Souls.

Belakor

Banned
I love the Dark Souls franchise so much,but there were some things that dragged DS3 down from becoming the best of the series.

You could bet that FROM would know by now that players hate gimmick boss fights,but they actually did the opposite with this entry.Yhorm is the most dissapointing fight in the whole franchise for example.They also oversimplified some mechanics of the game,like covenant questing/rewards,disabled invading unembered players in contrast with DS2,made wearing heavy armor and thus investing on vitality points useless in a sense and many other big or small details that should have been perfected by now.

I really hope the DLC areas are awesome,gonna buy them anyway,but i can't help but think what an amazing game DS3 would have been with some major tweaks that would help dedicated players in the long run and thus the longevity of the game since it's the last entry according to FROMSOFT

We don't all dislike gimmick bosses! Yhorm is cool, but to me it felt lazy - like they just mushed together Old Hero and Storm King and called it a day, and he comes pretty late in the game for such an easy boss.

Wolnir is a successful evolution of the Dragon God/Bed of Chaos idea and one of the best "gimmick" bosses in the series for me. Besides the cool design, the idea of what you have to do is communicated well. I don't mind that it's easy, I just enjoy the fight.

RiggyRob

Killed the
Deacons of the Deep
in the Cathedral of the Deep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=0UkkrSu0caU

What a shitty boss -
not only is it not Aldrich or the grotesque magic slug creature birthed from Rosaria like we were expecting, but it doesn't even follow the same rules as the previous 'find the right enemy to kill' bosses!

The red glow is an obvious indicator that that's the one you should go for, but why on earth did they make it so that there's no visible damage to the boss's life bar if you hit the right one? Makes no sense coming from Royal Rat Vanguard and Celestial Emissary.

Not to mention the sheer fucking numbers of them, there must be 40-50 of them on the screen at any one time - its just frustrating getting actions shut down because enemies are literally jumping and piling onto you.

Patches wears the Black Leather set which is the DS1 thief class armour, and he is a thief so I suppose that's mildly lore related, I don't know if there's anything more to it.

Pate has the weapons he does because he's DS2's version of Patches and Patches has had a spear and great shield since Demon's Souls.

I wonder why they made the decision to not have the actual Patches in DS2 then - not gonna lie, it would've been nice if Peter Serafinowicz had come back in some way too.

grmlin

On my second playthrough right now and I met Patches this time and did not fuck up Siegward's questline.

He was pretty pissed though, as I took care of the
giant
first :D

No luck with PvP though :( to get the achievement for the covenant rings etc. I have to have them all on one character, right?

Cat Party

No luck with PvP though :( to get the achievement for the covenant rings etc. I have to have them all on one character, right?

It's too bad FROM didn't make it so that you get the covenant item when using Way of the Blue. That would have made it easier for everyone, because there'd be more people summoning.

grmlin

It's too bad FROM didn't make it so that you get the covenant item when using Way of the Blue. That would have made it easier for everyone, because there'd be more people summoning.

I'm pretty frustrated tbh.

I think I'll start a new char and look if it's any better at lower levels. I was not summoned once and I'm about to fight the boss in the cathedral of the deep in NG+. :(

RiggyRob

Ok, a shitload of NPC stuff happened after we beat the Deacons of the Deep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=IqqtR6wxxiE

Sirris
hates us again, and I've only just realised it's because we offered a Pale Tongue to Rosaria to see if it increases the amount of times you can reallocate levels. To be fair, although I would have liked to have done Sirris's quest, I value the practicality of Rosaria more and it was worth the test to us. Pimmsy called it as well saying that there might be a downside to covenants, but ah well.

It looks like you have to decide between Leonhard and Sirris for NPC questlines to do, which is nice in a way since it gives you an opportunity to do it a different way in NG+. Not going to lie though, I was expecting more from the Darkwraith.

Finally - holy shit Irithyll! That looks fucking AMAZING!

Negaduck

Good luck my friend. Irithyll is beautiful but has a noticeable difficulty spike. I look forward to seeing you fight against the boss.

My friend was telling me about the boss and the problems he had
I went in like I owned the place. Got the parry like 3 times against pontiff and dusted him first try. I felt like a cool million bucks after. But damn that area doesn't mess around.

Can someone help me explain how the hell to parry correctly against
Pontiff
or even a different strat that is more effective? Im really losing my patience here and spent way too long trying to beat him. Everytime that I think I am parrying correctly, I don't but instead nothing happens to me animation wise and I lose all my endurance and tons of health.

I tried summoning the NPC by the castle and get to the second phase 1/2 the time. It's impossible for me to get him down to anywhere close to 1/4 with the doppelganger constantly changing up on me.

Easily IMO the hardest boss in the series, I have never had this much trouble before.

Jombie

We don't all dislike gimmick bosses! Yhorm is cool, but to me it felt lazy - like they just mushed together Old Hero and Storm King and called it a day, and he comes pretty late in the game for such an easy boss.

Wolnir is a successful evolution of the Dragon God/Bed of Chaos idea and one of the best "gimmick" bosses in the series for me. Besides the cool design, the idea of what you have to do is communicated well. I don't mind that it's easy, I just enjoy the fight.

The bigger issue with Yhorm is how blatantly unfinished the Profaned Capital is.

Can someone help me explain how the hell to parry correctly against Pontiff or even a different strat that is more effective? Im really losing my patience here and spent way too long trying to beat him. Everytime that I think I am parrying correctly, I don't but instead nothing happens to me animation wise and I lose all my endurance and tons of health.

You don't have to parry him. During the first phase, stay close and dodge (mainly to his left) - preferably on the steps, as he'll whif most of his swings. Second phase, bait his jump - dodge back and roll into real Pontiff and attack.

Mandelbo

Did the glitch that makes the Master Swordsman take no damage in the Dancer fight get patched? I'm trying to do it now and I can't tell if I'm doing it wrong or if it's just not possible anymore.

On v1.05 btw

Tarkus

Did the glitch that makes the Master Swordsman take no damage in the Dancer fight get patched? I'm trying to do it now and I can't tell if I'm doing it wrong or if it's just not possible anymore.

On v1.05 btw
That was patched in 1.05. Check the OP for patch info :)

yes I need to update it

joe2187

Banned
Havent played in a while.

Did they fix the way of blue or blue sentinels yet? and or are Concord drop rates fixed?

because....fuck that knight grind. I'm not going to do it at all.

grmlin

Havent played in a while.

Did they fix the way of blue or blue sentinels yet? and or are Concord drop rates fixed?

because....fuck that knight grind. I'm not going to do it at all.

I tried it and wasn't summoned a single time :(

I started a new char to see, if the level (>130 in NG+) was a problem.

The knight grind is a joke, I got one in an hour I think from them with a luck build and all items increasing my finders luck (or what its called)

Duxxy3

After a long break I got back into DS3 at Abyss Watchers. Now I'm up to Pontiff and my Xbox One is just not holding up anymore. Framerate is just brutal on that second stage.

Recently upgraded my graphics card, so I think I'm gonna sell off the XB1 version and pick it up on PC.

joe2187

Banned
Yeah. I have a 460 luck rating and still wont get one concord for one hour of grinding.

That's the only thing keeping me from my platinum.

but I refuse to grind any longer....I cant....cant do it.

grmlin

Yeah. I have a 460 luck rating and still wont get one concord for one hour of grinding.

that's some clearly broken bs. They should fix that. Increase the drop rate or something if they can't build a PvP summoning system that works. I will not kill the same knight on the same stairs for 30 hours :(

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
cleared farron keep and managed to beat the abyss watchers first try but it was so damn close! both myself and the boss only had a tiny little bit of health left. whoever got even the slightest bit of damage in next would win. i was out of estus/stamina so just mashed the R1 button and got the hit in.

now onto the catacombs! looking at list of locations i have visited 7/19 of them so not quite half way there yet but i only have 11 hours played so i guess this game will be much shorter than the others unless the upcoming areas are larger and more difficult. i wouldn't say i'm rushing my way through and i've done optional stuff too. my DS1 play through was 36 hours and DS2 was 39 hours (not including DLC). i'd guess DS3 is going to take me about 25 hours.

RiggyRob

Explored the areas around the Church of Yorshka and the Distant Manor bonfires: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=y6gecXw-fYU

Has Dark Souls ever had
enemies that were completely invisible before?

The smoking head enemies have the smoke or the eyes to indicate something's there, but there was one instance where it was legitimately impossible to tell where it was.

Those spider enemies would not look out of place in Byrgenwerth either with their sludge-spewing open rib cages and dozens of hands. Also, what the hell is with arrows stopping in mid-air when they're clearly nowhere near a wall? Drives me nuts.

Good luck my friend. Irithyll is beautiful but has a noticeable difficulty spike. I look forward to seeing you fight against the boss.

Yeah, I'm not messing around with those knights with curved swords, it's not worth the trouble until I can figure out a quick way to kill them. The spiders and invisibles aren't too bad though.

I think of the invisible enemies with the eyes showing as "teleporting" when they fully disappear. They usually appear again right before they attack you.

Cat Party

cleared farron keep and managed to beat the abyss watchers first try but it was so damn close! both myself and the boss only had a tiny little bit of health left. whoever got even the slightest bit of damage in next would win. i was out of estus/stamina so just mashed the R1 button and got the hit in.

now onto the catacombs! looking at list of locations i have visited 7/19 of them so not quite half way there yet but i only have 11 hours played so i guess this game will be much shorter than the others unless the upcoming areas are larger and more difficult. i wouldn't say i'm rushing my way through and i've done optional stuff too. my DS1 play through was 36 hours and DS2 was 39 hours (not including DLC). i'd guess DS3 is going to take me about 25 hours.
You have some very lengthy and difficult areas ahead. And bosses get a lot harder after the catacombs.

pixxxelz

I thought they fixed the drop rate, I got all 30 of them in like 3/4 hours with 380 discovery, that was more than one month ago.

RiggyRob

Explored the sewers of Irithyll and the manor with Silver Knights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=oreczlr8M3I

Again with the
Ornstein & Smough reverence? I thought DS2 got slated for putting this kind of stuff in. Not that I'm all that bothered, but I prefer new things to references to old things. I guess it's to be expected with the third sequel in a series and I'd probably feel different if I'd played DS1, but ah well.

How good is the Leo Ring anyway? It seems extremely specific to use, to the point where if you're not cosplaying Ornstein, it's not worth it. Also glad the paintings don't seem to curse you in this game!

Finally, if the handmaiden doesn't say that the Excrement-covered Ashes is woeful or useless or whatever, there's definitely something weird going on with the Dreamchaser's Ashes.

Tarkus

How good is the Leo Ring anyway? It seems extremely specific to use, to the point where if you're not cosplaying Ornstein, it's not worth it. Also glad the paintings don't seem to curse you in this game!
It works well for thrusting weapons. You should try it with your sword.

And I see you didn't check the well at Cathedral of the Deep. Might be too late now.

It looks like you have to decide between Leonhard and Sirris for NPC questlines to do, which is nice in a way since it gives you an opportunity to do it a different way in NG+. Not going to lie though, I was expecting more from the Darkwraith.
I did both!

Explored the sewers of Irithyll and the manor with Silver Knights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=oreczlr8M3I

Again with the
Ornstein & Smough reverence? I thought DS2 got slated for putting this kind of stuff in. Not that I'm all that bothered, but I prefer new things to references to old things. I guess it's to be expected with the third sequel in a series and I'd probably feel different if I'd played DS1, but ah well.

Finally, if the handmaiden doesn't say that the Excrement-covered Ashes is woeful or useless or whatever, there's definitely something weird going on with the Dreamchaser's Ashes.
DkS3 relies on fanservice too much and it sort of distracts from the meat of the lore on a first playthrough, but at least it's tied to the setting and history. The fanservice references in Dark Souls 2 were frustrating lore-wise.

RiggyRob

It works well for thrusting weapons. You should try it with your sword.

And I see you didn't check the well at Cathedral of the Deep. Might be too late now.

More ideal for spears though right? And we did check the well back when we first got to rhe Cleansing Chapel, there was nothing there.

I did both!

Oh, I don't like that then - the implication that
there's an order you should do them isn't as interesting. Pate vs Creighton was cool because you had to pick between them.

DkS3 relies on fanservice too much and it sort of distracts from the meat of the lore on a first playthrough, but at least it's tied to the setting and history. The fanservice references in Dark Souls 2 were frustrating lore-wise.

I can understand it, I guess it would've been more impactive if both I had played the first game and it hadn't been done before.

Tarkus

More ideal for spears though right? And we did check the well back when we first got to rhe Cleansing Chapel, there was nothing there.
You had to trigger something later in Cathedral of the Deep. Check again.

No, it's ideal for any thrusting weapon. Your Irithyll Sword will benefit greatly if you use the one handed R2 frequently. I use it all the time in PvP for counters.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So with PS+ increasing in price soon (fucking $70 CAD, GTFO), I'm really tempted to not renew. This might mean saying farewell to DS3/Bloodborne online in the near future... :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nooooooooo. I never got to face you outside of our little fight clubs.
Well, I'm still subbed til June 2017 or so, and I'm considering buying a discounted subscription card on eBay or Amazon or something, which I'd activate only for Dark Souls 4 or Bloodborne 2 or something :p but yeah, this pisses me off, especially since the PS+ selection of free games has been unmitigated shit for a while now. :(

Top Bottom