• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Faith or Intel. Never done a pure magic build and curious whether it should be a balance or all in one basket. Looking mainly for PvE.
If you dump it all in to one or the other, you'll get more damage output from scaling. Level up both FTH and INT you can use a wider range of spells as well as pyromancy that benefits from investment in both stats for a true all spells/magic build (but your miracles and spells will be less powerful on balance since you're spreading stats between the two, unless you boost them both and have less of other stats or a very high SL).

If you dump it all in to one or the other, you'll get more damage output from scaling. Level up both FTH and INT you can use a wider range of spells as well as pyromancy that benefits from investment in both stats for a true all spells/magic build (but your miracles and spells will be less powerful on balance since you're spreading stats between the two, unless you boost them both and have less of other stats or a very high SL).

I see. Will probably work on a balance approach before investing in one. Is there a stronger choice in choosing either Faith or Intel.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
On some shields when you pull L2 the weapon art of the weapon in your right hand is used instead of parrying. To check look at the symbol on your shield icon or check the weapon description.

thanks! figured it out now. i've upgraded my shield to the shield of want. it uses titanite scales but just at +1 it already is better than my +4 knight shield. with this shield i can use the weapon art of my +6 claymore. so satisfying to use the special attacks. i've alloted 1 estus to the ashen flask which is fine for now but will maybe upgrade my attunement to use the attacks more.

i've got through the catacombs! that boss was a joke. went to the smouldering lake and got another shard/bone and a load of large titanite! just need to take the boss on now. i did try and got his health to about 1/3 left but ran out of estus.

Cat Party

thanks! figured it out now. i've upgraded my shield to the shield of want. it uses titanite scales but just at +1 it already is better than my +4 knight shield. with this shield i can use the weapon art of my +6 claymore. so satisfying to use the special attacks. i've alloted 1 estus to the ashen flask which is fine for now but will maybe upgrade my attunement to use the attacks more.

i've got through the catacombs! that boss was a joke. went to the smouldering lake and got another shard/bone and a load of large titanite! just need to take the boss on now. i did try and got his health to about 1/3 left but ran out of estus.

Consider farming the black Knight in smoldering Lake for a Black Knight shield. It friggin owns. Also, try out the black Knight Greatsword (if you found it). It's much better than the scaling would suggest.

grmlin

So,
I killed the deacons in the cathedral and thought it would be a good idea to do some invasions for rosarias fingers.

How is that supposed to be fun? All these teams of players waiting to laugh at me.

Beside that: I'm still waiting to be summoned a single time! Tried the blue thing and the watchdogs of farron while playing the game, nothing, nada :(

So, should I start a new game now or wait until the DLC arrives? My worst case scenario is that the dlc will be inaccessible if I beat the game before accessing the dlc, thus forcing me to start another new game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So, should I start a new game now or wait until the DLC arrives? My worst case scenario is that the dlc will be inaccessible if I beat the game before accessing the dlc, thus forcing me to start another new game.
If it's anything like DS2, the DLC will be accessible after beating the game, so long as you don't start Journey 2 (NG+).

grmlin

Is there some sort of matchmaking involved invading other players? My weapon does no damage to most of them and I'm really struggling.

Currently LVL 45 with +4 Lothric Knight Sword

grmlin

Is there some sort of matchmaking involved invading other players? My weapon does no damage to most of them and I'm really struggling.

Currently LVL 45 with +4 Lothric Knight Sword

quoting myself shamelessly.

I just had to fight a guy using Onikiri and Ubadachi. How is that even possible?. It was in the toxic swamp of Farron and the gate was still closed.

Some low level NG+?

Mistel

Banned

I just had to fight a guy using Onikiri and Ubadachi. How is that even possible?. It was in the toxic swamp of Farron and the gate was still closed.

Some low level NG+?
Well its based on level and weapon upgrade level so they've got a decent window to get within your range both for invading and invasions.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Some low level NG+?
He was the host? Either that, or someone just dropped it for him.

Seen on Reddit, the plot of Dark Souls 3 summarized in a picture:

Nt3pejZ.jpg

RiggyRob

The more we explore Irithyll Dungeon, the more interesting things we find but the less we're able to make sense of where we're going and where we've already been:

Part 44: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=aSEDdrpegBo

Part 45: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=zQidPzzQ9K4

Lightning Blade sounds like the perfect miracle for us to use, and I was kind of annoyed that the only way to imbue elemental effects on your weapons with the glorious visual effects to match in Bloodborne was to use Fire/Bolt Paper or the Tonitrus.

Dragon Torso Stone sounds interesting too, like the Beast Rune transformation but for dragons. There's a lot of dragon-related lore things around Irithyll Dungeon, which is quite suspicious - looks like people in the Dark Souls universe never learn when it comes to dragons!

A lot of it seems to be magic based as well - Xanthous Ashes, the Dusk Crown ring of a princess of Oolacile, and the leech monster that drops Great Magic Shield. I'm guessing it's the Pontiff that put everyone into the dungeon because he was threatened by other sorcery/wanted to be the only one?

Also, just in case anyone was wondering, there is no special second level to Siegward's lift puzzle. Still a bit miffed you don't get anything for doing that sick jump!

You can see
Creighton the Wanderer
as a black phantom too, but the conditions to make him appear are kinda stupid. You need to have
beaten the dog monster on the bridge and have Sirris like you - if you go back to the bridge before you've killed the Pontiff, you'll see her sign there, which will let you fight him. After you win there, you need go to the grave past the Church of Yorshka and he'll invade you again. You need to do all of this before killing the Pontiff or you won't be able to see Creighton for the rest of the playthrough :p

Well that's ridiculous - why would you go back to that bridge in particular? Doesn't matter for us since Sirris hates us, but that's just one more instance of how annoying it is to try and do things 'properly' for NPCs here.

Tarkus

The more we explore Irithyll Dungeon, the more interesting things we find but the less we're able to make sense of where we're going and where we've already been:
Look at the chain on the chests. If it comes out towards you, it's a mimic. If it goes backwards in a curl, it's a regular chest. The breathing method doesn't always work.

Tarkus

How come? Surely they can't hold their breath for that long?
It didn't appear to be breathing when the basilisks attacked you. The chain is always forward on the mimics. It's much faster anyway.

Edit: oh and pulling out your touch gets the leeches off of you.

RiggyRob

It didn't appear to be breathing when the basilisks attacked you. The chain is always forward on the mimics. It's much faster anyway.

Edit: oh and pulling out your touch gets the leeches off of you.

Fair enough - and yeah that was a brain fart moment when speaking, because you can see me get the torch out and the leeches drop off!

kaos.

Finished my broken straight sword challenge run... it was a lot easier than SL1...
Now it's time to put aside this game until 25th october...

Risgroo

I just defeated the fourth Lord of Cinder and made it to the
Kiln of the First Flame
. Can I go back and finish a few optional areas after I defeat what I assume is the final boss, or is this the point of no return?
Thanks.

grmlin

Doing more invasions. Always facing at least two players waiting for invaders as it seems. Or other phantoms are summoned helping them out. I will never ever get the covenant items playing PvP then.
Fun fact: I never get summoned at all, NEVER. I still wait for the first time being summoned for whatever covenant at all.

This must be one of the most bullshit multiplayer modes I've ever played.

And what is the fucking point invading players where I deal like 60 damage per hit. Really, who thought this system is a good idea?

Tarkus

Doing more invasions. Always facing at least two players waiting for invaders as it seems. Or other phantoms are summoned helping them out. I will never ever get the covenant items playing PvP then.
Fun fact: I never get summoned at all, NEVER. I still wait for the first time being summoned for whatever covenant at all.

This must be one of the most bullshit multiplayer modes I've ever played.

And what is the fucking point invading players where I deal like 60 damage per hit. Really, who thought this system is a good idea?
Use your red sign at the Pontiff bonfire. Go over to the right at the bit of snow on the ground. Usually people who are 1v1 will summon you. If you win, you get Pale Tongues. Much easier than invading.

grmlin

Use your red sign at the Pontiff bonfire. Go over to the right at the bit of snow on the ground. Usually people who are 1v1 will summon you. If you win, you get Pale Tongues. Much easier than invading.
What I don't get with the invasions is the matchmaking. I know I'm supposed to be weak and I know that I still have to learn fighting humans, but I would love to know what level I'm facing because they all do insane damage and I do nothing to them at all.

Thanks for the tip though. I'll maybe do that once I get there.

Tarkus

What I don't get with the invasions is the matchmaking. I know I'm supposed to be weak and I know that I still have to learn fighting humans, but I would love to know what level I'm facing because they all do insane damage and I do nothing to them at all.

Thanks for the tip though. I'll maybe do that once I get there.
Where are you and do you have the red sign yet?
Unfortunately, i don't have a ps4. :/
Yeah that sucks

RiggyRob

Ok, I'm going to need some second opinions regarding Yoel and Orbeck (14:45 onwards in the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=ArWiITJG0Uc

Summary: we found Yoel
dead in the shrine, and as Orbeck was 'starved for sorceries' and had Yoel's spells, we killed Orbeck on the logic that he had killed Yoel. This is further backed up by the fact that Orbeck's Ashes describes him as an assassin, and we weren't using sorceries anyway so it's not going to massively impact our playthrough.

According to the commenter on the video however, Orbeck is apparently an innocent man, and the fact that we found Yoel dead, Orbeck's dialogue changed, he had Yoel's spells and his ash describes him as an assassin was just a massive coincidence?

Tarkus

Yoel is close to death anyway. He probably gets some life force by helping you draw out your true strength. After he's done that 5 times, he dies because his purpose of finding a Lord of Hollows is fulfilled.

If you don't let him draw out your strength, he dies once you defeat Abyss Watchers, regardless if Orbeck is in the Shrine or not. Orbeck is innocent in this case.

There is another interaction that you've missed in this playthrough involving Orbeck and the Lord of Hollows.

Greirat is not coming back in your playthrough. He's dead. You should retrace your steps and find his body.

Tarkus

That's not QUITE true, the actual trigger is approaching the hanging bridge in the first big room of the Catacombs.
That must have been changed in one of the patches that eased side quest conditions. I'm fairly sure I remember him dying as the stairs to the Catacombs were opened.

owlbeak

Been back into this recently for the first time since release. I had stopped playing right after the D
eacons of the Deep
fight.

Been playing all morning and just got to I
rithyll
! Loving the game, but man oh man, those fire magic guys with crosses in this area. :-O

Mistel

Banned
That's not QUITE true, the actual trigger is approaching the hanging bridge in the first big room of the Catacombs.
That must have been changed in one of the patches that eased side quest conditions. I'm fairly sure I remember him dying as the stairs to the Catacombs were opened.
Yoel dies once the stairs are open to the catacombs it never changed. I believe the npc questline changes never applied to him.

owlbeak

Oh, and i have a question about Greirat. I somehow missed him when I was in the Undead Village. I read about him this morning after I had gotten to Irithyll, so I went back and got him from the cell he was in, gave him Loretta's Bone, and sent him to scavenge for supplies or whatever. I read that you can send him a second time to Irithyll, but when does he come back from the first trip? Is it not until I beat a boss? If so, I assume I can't beat the boss in Irithyll and still send him here? I think I've killed all optional bosses to this point, so I guess I'll never be able to send him here?

Tarkus

Oh, and i have a question about Greirat. I somehow missed him when I was in the Undead Village. I read about him this morning after I had gotten to Irithyll, so I went back and got him from the cell he was in, gave him Loretta's Bone, and sent him to scavenge for supplies or whatever. I read that you can send him a second time to Irithyll, but when does he come back from the first trip? Is it not until I beat a boss? If so, I assume I can't beat the boss in Irithyll and still send him here? I think I've killed all optional bosses to this point, so I guess I'll never be able to send him here?
You need to beat a boss. Beat Pontiff, then send him. Do not go to the Irithyll Dungeon. If you have been doing Siegward's questline, then you may still succeed in Greirat's questline. You must fight the main boss of Irithyll without going to the Dungeon and you must have talked to Seigward in the kitchen at Irithyll. If you've gone to the Dungeon already, then you're screwed until the next playthrough.

You're at a weird point and I don't really know how the outcome would be. I'm giving the best chance I think, in doing this questline.

owlbeak

You need to beat a boss. Beat Pontiff, then send him. Do not go to the Irithyll Dungeon. If you have been doing Siegward's questline, then you may still succeed in Greirat's questline. You must fight the main boss of Irithyll without going to the Dungeon and you must have talked to Seigward in the kitchen at Irithyll. If you've gone to the Dungeon already, then you're screwed until the next playthrough.

You're at a weird point and I don't really know how the outcome would be. I'm giving the best chance I think, in doing this questline.
Ok, thanks! I have been doing Siegward's quest (
got his armor to him in the well
), so I guess I should run into him here. I haven't made it to Pontiff yet.

Edit: Okay, killed Pontiff and sent Greirat to Irithyll. Now I suppose I have to kill a second boss? Is the dungeon skippable?

Another nana disappeared
♫ So the grandson carries a cage ♫
♫ He ever has his cage ♫
And nana's never coming back
So come into the cage, and become nana's shade.

I am on my third playthrough and found the cage spider npc in Undead Settlement. Holy shit this might be the creepiest thing I have heard in one of these games, which says a lot.

Tactics18

It's like half an hour that i'm farming proofs of a concord kept and i've got only one. This is ridiculous.

It took me somewhere between 7-9 hours to farm 30 of them with 499 item discovery when I was going for the platinum.

If you're going to commit to it I suggest putting on a podcast or some music in the background.

Another nana disappeared
♫ So the grandson carries a cage ♫
♫ He ever has his cage ♫
And nana's never coming back
So come into the cage, and become nana's shade.

I am on my third playthrough and found the cage spider npc in Undead Settlement. Holy shit this might be the creepiest thing I have heard in one of these games, which says a lot.

Haha I love that thing. It's very creepy, but it's also giving you a hint! Did you figure it out?

Haha I love that thing. It's very creepy, but it's also giving you a hint! Did you figure it out?

Sadly I went to Gamefaqs to get the info. I don't feel too bad because I am not sure I would know to sneak up on that guy from the info given. Seemed like insane rambling at a glance. Pretty cool to get to see the cave below the Curse Rotted Greatwood intact though.

RiggyRob

Yoel is close to death anyway. He probably gets some life force by helping you draw out your true strength. After he's done that 5 times, he dies because his purpose of finding a Lord of Hollows is fulfilled.

If you don't let him draw out your strength, he dies once you defeat Abyss Watchers, regardless if Orbeck is in the Shrine or not. Orbeck is innocent in this case.

There is another interaction that you've missed in this playthrough involving Orbeck and the Lord of Hollows.

Greirat is not coming back in your playthrough. He's dead. You should retrace your steps and find his body.

Ah, I see - a little weird though, doesn't Yoel say that he 'failed to die' the first time you meet him?

So he's doomed to die no matter what you do - I still don't feel bad about
killing Orbeck though, he probably deserved it.

Top Bottom