• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Tarkus

Well, I'm still subbed til June 2017 or so, and I'm considering buying a discounted subscription card on eBay or Amazon or something, which I'd activate only for Dark Souls 4 or Bloodborne 2 or something :p but yeah, this pisses me off, especially since the PS+ selection of free games has been unmitigated shit for a while now. :(
Well then, we still have a chance to face each other :)

My new weapon combo is absolutely devastating. Refined Zweihander as main, and Refined Carthus as offhand.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Haha, I'm not big on duelling in these games though. I was in Demon's Souls, but Dark Souls and later games just have too many annoyances. DS3 is better than the others (except Demon's) though. But typically I just prefer regular invasions and taking out ganksquads. xD

I'm about to restart my second playthrough after quitting for a while (at Farron's Keep) largely because of the DLC coming soon. How far in do you think it'll be? AotA wasn't until post-Lordvessel, the Crowns weren't accessed until a fair bit into the game, and the Old Hunters, while accessible after Amelia, was largely levelled for people in late-game.

Jombie

I'm about to restart my second playthrough after quitting for a while (at Farron's Keep) largely because of the DLC coming soon. How far in do you think it'll be? AotA wasn't until post-Lordvessel, the Crowns weren't accessed until a fair bit into the game, and the Old Hunters, while accessible after Amelia, was largely levelled for people in late-game.

After defeating the Deacons gaining access to Irithyll, probably.

RiggyRob

Defeated
Pontiff Sulyvahn
first try! https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=VdoginLOTzo

For one of the supposed harder bosses,
I didn't really have that much trouble with the Pontiff? Hell, the Deacons of the Deep gave me more trouble than he did!

He's essentially Fume Knight x Darklurker - I had summons for the majority of Fume Knight, but his delayed attacks are actually more suited to DS3's boss movesets. Darklurker, on the other hand, was the bane of my DS2 playthrough with having to use Human Effigies every time just to get it, until I eventually properly respecced and nuked it with Crystal Soul Spear.

Also just remembered that this was the boss Pimmsy and I saw a spoiler for (which led to us actually buying DS3 since it was becoming clear we weren't going to be able to avoid it when they were popping up on Imgur and Facebook feeds) - there's a video of a guy taking down the Pontiff in one hit after doing a load of buffs. I'd be interested to know what those buffs actually were and how they stacked!

Just got a gaming PC for the first time in seven years, so of course the first thing I did was download Dark Souls III.

I loved it on PS4, playing it at 60fps is transcendent. Holy shit.

Question: does anyone like playing as a Strength/Mage hybrid? I love using the butcher knife and being heavy into magic as well. Fun as hell.

DLC 1 name:

CqjJ1DqVYAE78t7.jpg

Hype.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
So I figured I'd come here to vent a bit.
I finished my first playthrough over the weekend with a friend I met for Coop specifically. I did this as I was having trouble with ithryll and wanted to push forward. Through some tips and kind help from this person I made it through. Towards the end he dropped all the rings (+2 included) essentially handing me the trophy for it. This was done unasked by myself though appreciated.
Last night a personal friend came online and when I asked for a tip as to what to do with the lava pit in the dungeon I was called a liar in regards to my story and essentially that he was calling me out for playing the game wrong by accepting the rings.
For some reason this has really got under my skin. I remarked to him that I would have nothing to gain by lying and have spent most of my previous ng+ cleaning up for spells and helping others whenever possible.
Idk why it irks me so much maybe it's the accusation that I was lying from someone I've known for years personally or that I'm playing the game wrong by seeking help from other people even though he was generally unavailable or uninterested when I had asked for help.
I really don't know.

Sarcasm

Screw him. He is probably just jealous. You may pretty much grind like you would on a MMO to get the items anyways. Though some have some good reads on it.

BTW you guys see the screens that were leaked for the dlc?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Just got a gaming PC for the first time in seven years, so of course the first thing I did was download Dark Souls III.

I loved it on PS4, playing it at 60fps is transcendent. Holy shit.

Question: does anyone like playing as a Strength/Mage hybrid? I love using the butcher knife and being heavy into magic as well. Fun as hell.

i bought it on PS4 because my PC would probably have struggled with it but ended up building a new PC and bought it again on Steam. i just couldn't enjoy it at 30fps. 60fps makes a huge difference in a game like this. i'm still stuck playing Bloodborne on PS4 though :( i would love if that was released for PC.

edit: oh man i'm having a hard time in the catacombs! i imagine this would be way easier if i wasn't so bad at parrying.

Majek

Raw is an infusion, all your upgrades are done with titanite. So yes, if you don't like it, you can remove it with shriving stone, it will still be at +4 or whatever you have it now.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Raw is an infusion, all your upgrades are done with titanite. So yes, if you don't like it, you can remove it with shriving stone, it will still be at +4 or whatever you have it now.

thanks yeah i checked at the blacksmith. edited my post. should've really checked first! i guess i'll keep it then.

neoemonk

I love the worlds From creates. The bosses and environments in the DLC trailer all look outstanding. I should just pony up for the season pass now.

RiggyRob

Man, Irithyll Dungeon is horrible (Part 42 & Part 43).

At least the jailers
aren't as bad as the Winter Lanterns in Bloodborne, because fuck getting Frenzied just by looking at an enemy. The dungeon seems doable even after you're at low health from the lantern, as long as you don't get hit by anything at all.

The Alva invasion is the first DS2 reference I think I've seen so far as well, so it's nice to know that DS2 isn't being completely ignored like a red-headed stepchild.

Also that DLC trailer is sick! I'm always up for trying new miracles.

Mandelbo

Man, Irithyll Dungeon is horrible (Part 42 & Part 43).

At least the jailers
aren't as bad as the Winter Lanterns in Bloodborne, because fuck getting Frenzied just by looking at an enemy. The dungeon seems doable even after you're at low health from the lantern, as long as you don't get hit by anything at all.

The Alva invasion is the first DS2 reference I think I've seen so far as well, so it's nice to know that DS2 isn't being completely ignored like a red-headed stepchild.

Also that DLC trailer is sick! I'm always up for trying new miracles.

You can see
Creighton the Wanderer
as a black phantom too, but the conditions to make him appear are kinda stupid. You need to have
beaten the dog monster on the bridge and have Sirris like you - if you go back to the bridge before you've killed the Pontiff, you'll see her sign there, which will let you fight him. After you win there, you need go to the grave past the Church of Yorshka and he'll invade you again. You need to do all of this before killing the Pontiff or you won't be able to see Creighton for the rest of the playthrough :p

Realised I need a new character for the dlc and was wondering what are the best builds to aim for. Original character was strength at 50 and finding him a bit stale on new game plus and was wondering what to aim for in regards to a hybrid build, pure dex build or pure spells (Intel or faith).

Sarcasm

Realised I need a new character for the dlc and was wondering what are the best builds to aim for. Original character was strength at 50 and finding him a bit stale on new game plus and was wondering what to aim for in regards to a hybrid build, pure dex build or pure spells (Intel or faith).

Why a new one?

Mandelbo

Does going to Lothric Castle early mess with the Hollow questline at all? I want to get the Hollow Lord ending on this run no matter what.

Massa

Any notes about?

Found some here.

• The length of the Hammer skill, Perseverance (reduce damage when activated), has been increased //note: the Japanese says "Large Hammer Category"
  • Delayed the movement cancel timing of certain medium shields upon guard break
  • Removed the ability to parry when using the skills Blind Spot (Corvian Greatknife, Handmaid’s dagger) and Dancer’s Grace (Dancer’s Enchanted Swords)
  • Adjusted the shield penetration properties of Harpe, Shotel, Crescent Moon Sword, Carthus Shotel, Man Serpent Hatchet and Darkdrift
  • Fixed a bug where sound effects did not play properly when using Lightning Spears in quick succession
  • The attack cancel timing for rapiers equipped in the left hand has been adjusted
  • Several balance issues have been adjusted
  • Flaws have been fixed to improve performance

I've successfully gone like 4 days without playing this game. I'm starting to get the shakes. But I will persist. My poor Steam library has sat there like a red-headed stepchild while Dark Souls 3 got all the attention.

Found some here.

• The length of the Hammer skill, Perseverance (reduce damage when activated), has been increased //note: the Japanese says "Large Hammer Category"
  • Delayed the movement cancel timing of certain medium shields upon guard break
  • Removed the ability to parry when using the skills Blind Spot (Corvian Greatknife, Handmaid’s dagger) and Dancer’s Grace (Dancer’s Enchanted Swords)
  • Adjusted the shield penetration properties of Harpe, Shotel, Crescent Moon Sword, Carthus Shotel, Man Serpent Hatchet and Darkdrift
  • Fixed a bug where sound effects did not play properly when using Lightning Spears in quick succession
  • The attack cancel timing for rapiers equipped in the left hand has been adjusted
  • Several balance issues have been adjusted
  • Flaws have been fixed to improve performance

I really expect a nerf to the Carthus Curved Sword. Probably the most glaring example of a balance issue right now — that weapon is crazy good and makes every other curved sword obsolete. Glad to see they're also nerfing left-handed rapiers.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
finally got to the bonfire in the catacombs. got my bone shard too.

what is bothering me is the blue bar between the health/stamina. i wish i could get rid of it because i don't use it. i equipped a shield and used it's attack but i have no idea what i'm doing. when i press L2 my character kinda kneels down and two hands his sword then a sound is played kinda like when parrying but it does no damage. if i can't hide the blue bar i might as well try use it. i haven't alloted any estus to the ashen one.

is it only shields that can consume? i know magic can but are there weapons that have special attacks that use it kinda like Bloodborne?

Yakhont

Neo Member
what is bothering me is the blue bar between the health/stamina. i wish i could get rid of it because i don't use it. i equipped a shield and used it's attack but i have no idea what i'm doing. when i press L2 my character kinda kneels down and two hands his sword then a sound is played kinda like when parrying but it does no damage. if i can't hide the blue bar i might as well try use it. i haven't alloted any estus to the ashen one.

is it only shields that can consume? i know magic can but are there weapons that have special attacks that use it kinda like Bloodborne?

On some shields when you pull L2 the weapon art of the weapon in your right hand is used instead of parrying. To check look at the symbol on your shield icon or check the weapon description.

Top Bottom