• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

All the blacksmiths except Rickert have unique drops.
All the firekeepers drop a firekeeper's soul.
Shiva and his buddy have unique drops too.
Oscar (hollow when returning to the Asylum),
Chester
Ciaran
Solaire
Patches (kill at Firelink after buying his wares if you want any)
Seigmeyer (a ring, but you lose the slab if you kill him)
Logan, Rhea, Lautrec should all be killed as part of their questline.
All the invaders

Shit, kill them all, the ones that don't drop gear drop humanity, and no sin carries over to NG+

Yeah Kill them all, even that sinner guy in the tower.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How populated is the game on PC now that the Steamworks patch is pushed to everyone? I wanna go join the Blade of the Dark Moon and invade evildoers.

Arjen

Anyone who has access to the PC version and has not done a Black Phantom/-Perma Gravelorded playthrough with cheat engine must do so.

To give you an idea of how much it changes the gameplay:
Darkroot Garden is one of the easier areas in vanilla. Gravelorded, you have about 4 Black Phantom Stone Guardians that instantly charge you the moment you enter the area. At low levels, you HAVE to run through to the boss to survive.

I saw a playtrough with self gravelording and agression mod, shit was insane at some points.

Booshka

Anyone who has access to the PC version and has not done a Black Phantom/-Perma Gravelorded playthrough with cheat engine must do so.

To give you an idea of how much it changes the gameplay:
Darkroot Garden is one of the easier areas in vanilla. Gravelorded, you have about 4 Black Phantom Stone Guardians that instantly charge you the moment you enter the area. At low levels, you HAVE to run through to the boss to survive.

Ya I am almost done with my playthrough, just need to finish Manus and Kalameet, then Gwyn, did all the other bosses. I streamed all of it so far. About 3 different 90 minute chunks playing on a SL 125 character, really really fun stuff.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I'm hoping to get the aggro mod and gravelord file working again with Cheat engine, all of the updates kept breaking it and I haven't got back to finishing the playthrough.

EDIT: Thanks SourShoes!

Tarkus

Ya I am almost done with my playthrough, just need to finish Manus and Kalameet, then Gwyn, did all the other bosses. I streamed all of it so far. About 3 different 90 minute chunks playing on a SL 125 character, really really fun stuff.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I'm hoping to get the aggro mod and gravelord file working again with Cheat engine, all of the updates kept breaking it and I haven't got back to finishing the playthrough.

EDIT: Thanks SourShoes!
Damn son that O&S fight in part one is a heartbreaker. And at Sen's when you jumped into the Gravelorded pit...omg.

So into the depths, got cursed. Couldn't progress, so googled how to remove it and ended up doing that and making a quick jaunt to get the cursebite ring. Made the frogs trivial. The dragon fight was great, probably easiest boss so far, just took a while to kill. First time I used two handed stance too. Changed over to the hard leather armour from that room, stiill using my fire short sword (seriously ty random invader).

Booshka

So into the depths, got cursed. Couldn't progress, so googled how to remove it and ended up doing that and making a quick jaunt to get the cursebite ring. Made the frogs trivial. The dragon fight was great, probably easiest boss so far, just took a while to kill. First time I used two handed stance too. Changed over to the hard leather armour from that room, stiill using my fire short sword (seriously ty random invader).

Before you leave the Depths look for the Large Ember. If you like the Short sword, try working on making a regular Longsword, same moveset, but stronger and longer range. The Fire weapon will carry you pretty far, but elemental damage can be weaker than normal physical damage, especially against enemies that resist it.

Got the large ember on my way there. It's not that I overly like the short sword, it's just a lot better than anything else I have. I'd quite like to try out thrusting swords a bit. Trying to be fast and mobile.

2AdEPT

Got the large ember on my way there. It's not that I overly like the short sword, it's just a lot better than anything else I have. I'd quite like to try out thrusting swords a bit. Trying to be fast and mobile.

awesome! I have been fooling around with a new character and jumped down to see capra without killing anything else. I had trouble with him at first at such low level, (level 5 sorcerer, with enough stats to hold estoc, which I upgraded to +2.) I used the wooden shield. Although I did him before at SL1 I recall using pyro which makes him a lot easier.

One thing to note that I recalled from doing capra at low level is that if you like to stay light, you still may want some poise. Poise helps you keep your balance in the face of attacks from enemies...having too little means your attacks can get inerrupted and you get stunned easily and cant even move at times...I noticed this on Capra and immediately took a trip to get a certain poise buff which will remain nameless. ;) The dogs at Capra went down so much easier as they did not interupt my run up the stairs!!

As for the weapon situation, I cant go through the game with justt one, I always have to get more than a couple going. The elemental weapons definitely help early on, especially before you could make them yourself, but heed Booshka's warning..sooner or later you will run into a creature or two that is fire resistant! Maybe sooner based on where you are in the game! Eventaully you will find buffs and such that make any noramal weapon elemetal, but you can only put them on normal weapons. HEnce at least one weapon kept normal would be a good idea. Your favourite for the late game would be best.

Speaking of Booshka.....awesome shtuff man! With DS2 actaully doing pretty well at giving a pretty good array of fashion souls to choose from, I had forgotten that in DS1 we all wore the same shtuff....I thought it was a coinicidence that you wore an almost identical get up to what I would wear (and choice for main weapon running R1 all day), but alas I recalled the reason for the hard leather boots, which also look awesome as a side benefit of being the lightest pants, along with dingy and the best all around defense per weight unit of anything in the game. Man that DWGR is awesome...gotta do another run soon.

Both of you have inspired me to get back into DS1, since I never recorded anything until DS2 came out I may try to make some vids of something, we'll see.

Think I'm gonna try a SL1 black knight halberd run.

rings: favor and protection and...either wolf or havels? I think wolf makes the most sense as there's no way I can get 40 poise with base endurance and still fast roll

Prob rock hollow waist cloth and gold trimmed/crimson set. Pretty standard no?

Yeah I wouldn't bother with Havel's ring on an SL1 run, other than situationally - say if you want to wear heavy gear for bosses, I do this for Nito.

I have never bothered with FaP ring either (on any build), I prefer the ring slot open for other situational rings like bellowing dragoncrest etc.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Did you cut its tail?

PS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr54gJZk_nM

I'm getting back into the game and I just beat Seath. I died 3 times, switched my armor so I could fast roll, then beat him without much problem. The bottom line? From Software hates fat people.

Overdoziz

Banned
What's a roll?

JesEMq3.gif

Yup, after doing it to the gargoyle figured it might happen again.

Blighttown was tough, but rewarding. Probably killed myself more than anything, but at least the guys that live there are as useless as me at staying on platforms. Got the katana, gonna try using it.

Stuck at the chaos spider bitch now. Got the summoner naked lady, who was helping a little. Got it it to under 10% twice, then ran out of humanity. Would be pretty easy if it wasn't for the aoe stomp, near one shot me attack. Might have to try and get humanity, but geez getting out of blighttown would be rather hard.

Might have to try and get humanity, but geez getting out of blighttown would be rather hard.
The way out is a lot quicker than the way in.

Slap down your summon sign to help others with the boss, it will net you 1 humanity and some experience at the boss. Her attacks are quite tell-tale, when you see the human half slump down you know she's going for the huge AoE blast, so try to stay to her side and not on her ass so you can see what she's doing. She also has a fart gas type of attack from the back any way which is almost as deadly as the AoE.

I beat Pinwheel (I guess he is a boss? was weak), made it to the bonfire in the Tomb of the Giants, but I think my TV is broke. Everything is super dark. Like...dark.

:p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Seriously, mid rolling is almost an entirely different game to me. DLC with mid roll? pffffff
Yeah, I kept wondering why people were saying the 4 Kings were so hard, until I played a special role-playing toon that was confined to mid-roll, and I died to them for the first time, took me a few retries. Doing Artorias, Manus or Kalameet with mid-roll scares the shit out of me, never tried that yet.

Fatroll is even worse. Had another challenge RP toon that fatrolled on purpose. And I struggled against Quelaag of all people. xD Never got very far with him, I should try it again some time.

I beat Pinwheel (I guess he is a boss? was weak), made it to the bonfire in the Tomb of the Giants, but I think my TV is broke. Everything is super dark. Like...dark.

:p

Pinwheel? Wait, is he the one who's theme music rarely get's beyond 10 seconds? Joking aside, he's actually meant to be fought earlier. Most people just avoid him until they complete
Anor Londo so they get the Lord Vessel and can warp out of Tomb of The Giants instead of having to scramble around dying endlessly.

If you're serious and you want a little bit of advice for that horrible place, here:
You should have gotten a Skull Lantern if you killed all the Necromancers. Equip it in your left hand and hold block to have it light up more of the area. Sunlight Maggot from that place of fire and ouch lets you have the same effect just you were it on your head and it keeps the place lit. Cast Light is another thing you can do
If you were joking, sorry hard to tell via text D:.

Pinwheel? Wait, is he the one who's theme music rarely get's beyond 10 seconds? Joking aside, he's actually meant to be fought earlier. Most people just avoid him until they complete
Anor Londo so they get the Lord Vessel and can warp out of Tomb of The Giants instead of having to scramble around dying endlessly.

If you're serious and you want a little bit of advice for that horrible place, here:
You should have gotten a Skull Lantern if you killed all the Necromancers. Equip it in your left hand and hold block to have it light up more of the area. Sunlight Maggot from that place of fire and ouch lets you have the same effect just you were it on your head and it keeps the place lit. Cast Light is another thing you can do
If you were joking, sorry hard to tell via text D:.

Joking about the darkness, but it is my first time through, so I don't know what the expect. I think I do remember picking up a
Skull Lantern
, so I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Joking about the darkness, but it is my first time through, so I don't know what the expect. I think I do remember picking up a
Skull Lantern
, so I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

If you make it to the first Tomb of the Giants bonfire, you can warp from there just so you know. I'd recommend doing Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith first and looking very carefully around some titanite demons you might encounter there.

If you make it to the first Tomb of the Giants bonfire, you can warp from there just so you know. I'd recommend doing Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith first and looking very carefully around some titanite demons you might encounter there.

See, I never know until later what I can warp to, since it doesn't show the bonfire you're at, and I'm afraid of warping away and having to go all the way back. Anyway, I blasted through and beat
Nito
and I'm just stopping now in Lost Izalith. I actually did most of Demon Ruins a while back, but didn't go through the fog door
that ended up being a boss guarding the path that eventually leads to Lost Izalith. The demon just inside was actually tricky...because I was too stupid to put on fire resist gear.

That reminds me that when clearing out all the weaker Taurus Demons at the Ruins, there were some goodies in the lava that I can now grab
since I have the ring
. I swear there are so many items hidden away that I'd need to just use a guide to find half of them. Loving this game.

True fact the Fire Demon Sage actually does Magic damage.

That entire area I feel like they were just like "We don't have enough time to actually design enemies for this area, lets just clone a bunch from earlier in the game and throw them in"

The way out is a lot quicker than the way in.

Slap down your summon sign to help others with the boss, it will net you 1 humanity and some experience at the boss. Her attacks are quite tell-tale, when you see the human half slump down you know she's going for the huge AoE blast, so try to stay to her side and not on her ass so you can see what she's doing. She also has a fart gas type of attack from the back any way which is almost as deadly as the AoE.

Oh, thanks, hadn't used the summon sign yet. That was handy, got some humanity 10k souls. Went human, summoned mildred, killed spider. Hooray.

True fact the Fire Demon Sage actually does Magic damage.

That entire area I feel like they were just like "We don't have enough time to actually design enemies for this area, lets just clone a bunch from earlier in the game and throw them in"

LOL, you are kidding me. I was having a hard time getting close enough with my Zweihander and my pyro magic would have helped a TON. My Pyromancy Flame at +15 was really nice against
Nito and his summons

Ok, I beat the game for the first time with a final time of 46 hours. The last couple of areas seemed a little rushed, but it's a great game overall. Bed of Chaos was a cheap prick, Four Kings was OK once I had a strong enough weapon, and
Gwyn
was a big difficulty spike. I think he took me 8 damn tries, but I had him down to low health (bar on the first letter of his name, so frustrating) on the third or forth. His grab ruined my day, with his follow-up jump attack before I could recover. I would have liked to have seen one more boss before him slightly less difficult for better flow.

It was a little surprising to be dumped into new game plus, so I didn't get to the DLC or some optional areas.

Pros
+World that feels connected.
+Combat that forces you to be more deliberate.
+Nice variety of weapons and spells.
+Unique monster design, especially the bosses.
+A real sense of adventure.
+A game of action, rather than cutscenes.

Cons
-Difficulty was all over the place.
-Too many fucking falling deaths.
-Bonfire placement.
-Too many stats to worry about.
-The port.
-A few roleplaying situations that required metagaming.

Overall the game is a classic and I loved it more than I thought I would. Now I need to figure out a new character to play...probably magic focused. :)

Jut out of curiosity, what did you dislike about the bonfire placement?

Only that some were bunched up, and others were spread pretty far out. I feel bad for people that may have missed some of the ones hidden behind secret doors, too. :D It's their game, but I'd rather see consistent checkpoints, saving hidden doors for treasures or optional areas to explore.

Only that some were bunched up, and others were spread pretty far out. I feel bad for people that may have missed some of the ones hidden behind secret doors, too. :D It's their game, but I'd rather see consistent checkpoints, saving hidden doors for treasures or optional areas to explore.

Did you find
secret bonfire in Sens
. I completely missed that my first play through

Did you find
secret bonfire in Sens
. I completely missed that my first play through

That was one of the very few times I caved in and looked it up, thinking there had to be one around the top. Having to redo the entire place multiple times from dying to the boss would be nuts.

Butterfly dead, iron golem dead. Both surprisingly easy. Sen's was sadistic but enjoyable. Iaito now +10, still can't decide on armour/shield combo. I was trying speed with the shadow set and buckler, but my parry skills are spotty at best, getting hit hurts. Some fights I've just plonked the elite knight gear on.

Ok, I beat the game for the first time with a final time of 46 hours. The last couple of areas seemed a little rushed, but it's a great game overall. Bed of Chaos was a cheap prick, Four Kings was OK once I had a strong enough weapon, and
Gwyn
was a big difficulty spike. I think he took me 8 damn tries, but I had him down to low health (bar on the first letter of his name, so frustrating) on the third or forth. His grab ruined my day, with his follow-up jump attack before I could recover. I would have liked to have seen one more boss before him slightly less difficult for better flow.

It was a little surprising to be dumped into new game plus, so I didn't get to the DLC or some optional areas.

Pros
+World that feels connected.
+Combat that forces you to be more deliberate.
+Nice variety of weapons and spells.
+Unique monster design, especially the bosses.
+A real sense of adventure.
+A game of action, rather than cutscenes.

Cons
-Difficulty was all over the place.
-Too many fucking falling deaths.
-Bonfire placement.
-Too many stats to worry about.
-The port.
-A few roleplaying situations that required metagaming.

Overall the game is a classic and I loved it more than I thought I would. Now I need to figure out a new character to play...probably magic focused. :)

I recently finished my first play through too. Personally I thought the final boss wasn't tough. I spent a fair amount of time late game crafting the artorias shield which was incredible. I didn't know about the last boss dumping you into NG+ either. That was a little disappointing since I missed out on some optional areas and the DLC too.

I thought the first half of the game was really well designed and put together. Really through Anor Londo I thought everything was superb.

New Londo seemed really barren and one trick, Demons Ruins seemed like it had no new content. Lost Izalith really didn't have a whole lot going on either.

2AdEPT

Even without that secret bonfire, Sen's has a shortcut with the elevator...

yup...never used that bonfire much...it was useful the first playthrough....the rest just used the shortcut. If I was going to help others on Golem I would always throw down the sign at the bottom....such a fun level to go through as a phantom trying to assess whether the host knew all the secrets or not.

Butterfly dead, iron golem dead. Both surprisingly easy. Sen's was sadistic but enjoyable. Iaito now +10, still can't decide on armour/shield combo. I was trying speed with the shadow set and buckler, but my parry skills are spotty at best, getting hit hurts. Some fights I've just plonked the elite knight gear on.
Yeah the best armour sets are often conspicuous when it comes to fashion..i.e. looking good usually comes at a cost, being stat strong maks you look drab. You should have got the Dingy set if you found Lautrec and did a bit of his story. Its dingy to look at but has the best light armour stats once upgraded. I dont recommmend being a tank (which FROM has trolled over and over in the series) nor even a sword and board player at all (might as well get ready for Bloodborne), so what most people roll with is the grasss crest shield whch you may have found near the butterfly in the basin. IT will will become obvious why you would want this shield on your back even if you two hand most of the time as a samarai. There is a sometimes hard to find set in Blighttown that looks boss and goes with your Iato, but the stats are not great. Still eventually armour will become less important for defense as your skills increase, so fashion souls takes over at the point where your skill determines the outcome, not your stats.

edit: there is one armour set that most people grab after they finish Queelag...it cant be upgraded but comes at ridiculously high stats for early game....but you have to search around the first section of the Demons Ruins.

Man Manus is a tough bitch, I finally managed to get to the DLC yesterday and beat Artorias and the black dragon both in the first two tries. Fuck yeah! Took me a lot longer to beat that Sanctuary Guardian. Is there a point to the Calamity ring btw?

2AdEPT

Man Manus is a tough bitch, I finally managed to get to the DLC yesterday and beat Artorias and the black dragon both in the first two tries. Fuck yeah! Took me a lot longer to beat that Sanctuary Guardian. Is there a point to the Calamity ring btw?

-helps those doign challenge runs feel like they are challengeing themselves.

Man double damage seems like a tough challenge!
On another note, I just finished Manus. He seemed downright impossible at first, similar to how I thought Flamelurker was in Demon's. Really good fight! Now off to kill Gwyn for the millionth time and enjoy the music (I might just not parry him this time).

2AdEPT

Man double damage seems like a tough challenge!
On another note, I just finished Manus. He seemed downright impossible at first, similar to how I thought Flamelurker was in Demon's. Really good fight! Now off to kill Gwyn for the millionth time and enjoy the music (I might just not parry him this time).
Yeah to me its a near useless challenge tool, because at the point a low level challenge run for example becomes difficult you will get one shot by the boss regardless...then all the ring does is eliminate a ring slot.

Congrats on Manus...still one of tougher bosses for me in all souls games....just moves so damn quick and its hard to see his tells in time. I refuse to sword and board him though, so that mght be my problem ><

Yeah to me its a near useless challenge tool, because at the point a low level challenge run for example becomes difficult you will get one shot by the boss regardless...then all the ring does is eliminate a ring slot.

Congrats on Manus...still one of tougher bosses for me in all souls games....just moves so damn quick and its hard to see his tells in time. I refuse to sword and board him though, so that mght be my problem ><

If you try and block manus you will get rekt.

Booshka

If you try and block manus you will get rekt.

With a bad shield and low stamina sure. If you upgrade a shield and get it to around 70+ stability you can block Manus for the most part. Artorias Greatshield can tank Manus like a champ and makes the fight a lot easier.

2AdEPT

With a bad shield and low stamina sure. If you upgrade a shield and get it to around 70+ stability you can block Manus for the most part. Artorias Greatshield can tank Manus like a champ and makes the fight a lot easier.

yeah although I never tried tank n turtle myself since the first week of Demons', I watched Patrick Klepek foremerly of giantbomb "try" dark Souls blind (actaully semi blind as he had already heard from the other giantbomb dude how hard it was and what worked for him before he rage quit)...he stuck to being an axe specialist, tanked up with havels, stumbled on the BKGA, Leveled his STR,END and VIT as high as he could with no cap iirc almost SL200, and I cant recall which greatshield he used, he did try to upgrade his shield hafter dying a couple times up front, doubt it requried a boss soul, but maybe it was artorias....anyways it worked....some rare "chat" viewers complained that he played it "wrong" and shouldbnt get too cocky (as most thought he was awsome), but he had none of it stating all the "if its in the game I can use it" mantras. He never really learned the Manus attacks nor those of the other DLC bosses but got through in a relatively low number of tries tanking hits and maxing his endurance bar....wasnt pretty for sure..but he did all the non-optional bosses plus the whole DLC in less than a week of streaming....he was really lucky on many of the boss kills as well, but the tank n turtle method is obviously one which can work.....

edit: I noticed that man vs Game also did the T&T approach to beat DS2 his first time through....seems to be the way to go if you are not a Souls junkie, dont have the patience or time to learn attacks, but dont want to look bad on stream.

Even that attack where he hits you like 4 times?

I had no idea.

I think I'm having even more fun on my second playthrough. I'm cruising right along with a sorcerer this time, and it's really nice to have some magic with range on it (as opposed to pyro). Less wasting items and souls now that I have a rough idea what things do also.

You're about to get access to the two tankiest armor sets in the game, one of which is free, so you'll have that available in a pinch.

If you have the Dingy set, I remember the chest being impeccable at +10. But really, I've never felt that the stat differences between various light armor sets made a huge difference in NG. Just go with whatever looks good to you and have some heavy sets for backup.

2AdEPT

You're about to get access to the two tankiest armor sets in the game, one of which is free, so you'll have that available in a pinch.

If you have the Dingy set, I remember the chest being impeccable at +10. But really, I've never felt that the stat differences between various light armor sets made a huge difference in NG. Just go with whatever looks good to you and have some heavy sets for backup.

the best part of the dingy set is its higher than average magic and especially lightnign defense...it is relatively the same physical defense as other garb. iTs not particularly low in anything, which is rare as most sets have at least one achilles heal stat.

Top Bottom