• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Moonkid

O+S down, I feel like I have a bit of freedom where to go now. I'll probably give it a rest for a bit until I have a day off or something and give the Catacombs a go.

O+S down, I feel like I have a bit of freedom where to go now. I'll probably give it a rest for a bit until I have a day off or something and give the Catacombs a go.

Just reached this point i went for the duke of archives area (newly opened area in anor londo) seems pretty resonable area to get through

Moonkid

Just reached this point i went for the duke of archives area (newly opened area in anor londo) seems pretty resonable area to get through
Hmm I will consider that. I did feel a bit unsatisfied leaving Anor Londo without having completed everything in that area.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Wow, Lost Izalith sucked a bag of dicks. It's not that it was hard -- but poorly designed, a technical disaster (frame rates in single digits when multiple bounding demons were being engaged), and just plain lazy. Bed Of Chaos was also a bullshit, cheap boss. I'm gonna try to forget that part of the game happened. Lol

I must be the only person that enjoys Lost Izalith (except the Bed of Chaos)...not arguing it's a well designed area, but I love the look of the area and the Siegmeyer stuff. I personally find the Duke's Archives less enjoyable.

Booshka

I'm just now starting this today. Is there anything I need to do or know about like DSFix?

If you have framerate issues, unlock FPS and set it to 30, if you want, and your PC can handle it, set it to 60. If you are getting screen tearing issues, try enabling Borderless windowed mode in DSFix as well.

Also, Dark Souls Any% is now under 50 minutes. Here is the 49:33 In-Game Time.

Wow, Lost Izalith sucked a bag of dicks. It's not that it was hard -- but poorly designed, a technical disaster (frame rates in single digits when multiple bounding demons were being engaged), and just plain lazy. Bed Of Chaos was also a bullshit, cheap boss. I'm gonna try to forget that part of the game happened. Lol

I remember the lava zone with the half dragon were nerfed so hard is just a turistic visit now.

McBryBry

If you have framerate issues, unlock FPS and set it to 30, if you want, and your PC can handle it, set it to 60. If you are getting screen tearing issues, try enabling Borderless windowed mode in DSFix as well.

Also, Dark Souls Any% is now under 50 minutes. Here is the 49:33 In-Game Time.

Thanks, another question.

I'm using DS4Windows and a Dualshock 4 to play. The second I plug it in, the camera keeps constantly spinning left. Any idea why?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I remember the lava zone with the half dragon were nerfed so hard is just a turistic visit now.
Yep, heard about how it used to be super tough.

So, I beat the game tonight. Terrific game, no question. Not as special of an experience to me as Demons Souls was, but I'm willing to admit this is probably a better game -- I just think anyone's first experience with a Souls game will always be their best.

Anything special about New Game +? Just tougher everything, I'm guessing. But anything new?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What did they do to the zombie (?) dragon inside the lava? Patch notes or details please.

Tarkus

Yep, heard about how it used to be super tough.

So, I beat the game tonight. Terrific game, no question. Not as special of an experience to me as Demons Souls was, but I'm willing to admit this is probably a better game -- I just think anyone's first experience with a Souls game will always be their best.

Anything special about New Game +? Just tougher everything, I'm guessing. But anything new?
You can be Gravelorded, which adds some much tougher red phantom versions of the enemies. Everything gets an HP boost and hits harder. Some of the bosses more so. Like the 4 kings and the DLC. You could switch up the order of O&S and do all the covenants. Darkwraith is the most fun imo.

You can use Gwyn's soul for his sword or the uber lightning spear spell too, oh and buy his gear from Domnhall. They added a fair bit more to NG+ onwards in DS2, it was a nice addition.

realcZk

So yesterday I fired up Dark Souls for PC. Installed the latest DSFix 2.4 and enabled unlockedFPS with a cap of 60 FPS. After the introduction boss and the first bonfire where you can level up, I made my way into a graveyard where a lot of skeletons were forming from bones on the ground. They were pretty tough so I was pretty sure I should come back later when I was higher leveled.

Anyways, the stairs in this area kept getting me killed. Almost every time I tried to go up the stairs (especially run), I'd get stuck on some invisible geometry and was unable to move. I'm wondering if it's just something in this area or if it has to do with the FPS unlock messing with the game engine's collision detection.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I can't imagine the steps in the game actually being this buggy. Tonight I'll try without DSfix.

WGMBY

The only item I've upgraded so far is the pyro glove. I'm at the boss in Sen's Fortress.

I hope you're upgrading your weapons as well. I normally try to get at least one weapon to +10 before completing Sen's Fortress.

Remember, upgrading equipment tends to be a better investment than leveling up.

Sorry if this is old but my friend just sent me it and I'd never seen it before, I consider myself pretty up to date on DS fan-art etc.

lordran.png

Lovely!! But it appears Catacombs and Tomb of Giants remains unfinished.

Also, no Great Hollow or Ash Lake, though that seems to be the tree.

I hope you're upgrading your weapons as well. I normally try to get at least one weapon to +10 before completing Sen's Fortress.

Remember, upgrading equipment tends to be a better investment than leveling up.

I ended up getting sidetracked after Sen's to be able to create divine and fire weapons so I can take on the catacombs and Anor Londo's boss.

So yesterday I fired up Dark Souls for PC. Installed the latest DSFix 2.4 and enabled unlockedFPS with a cap of 60 FPS. After the introduction boss and the first bonfire where you can level up, I made my way into a graveyard where a lot of skeletons were forming from bones on the ground. They were pretty tough so I was pretty sure I should come back later when I was higher leveled.

Anyways, the stairs in this area kept getting me killed. Almost every time I tried to go up the stairs (especially run), I'd get stuck on some invisible geometry and was unable to move. I'm wondering if it's just something in this area or if it has to do with the FPS unlock messing with the game engine's collision detection.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I can't imagine the steps in the game actually being this buggy. Tonight I'll try without DSfix.

It's the FPS unlock.

Booshka

hehehehehehe...

I'll agree with you on ToTG, but Catacombs is a fantastic area, I started to really appreciate it after invading a ton down there, so many different pathways and shortcuts, drops, etc. I also did a lot of Guerilla Warfare (2v2 PvPvE in the whole level) and it is a fantastic play space.

ToTG I just do speedrun strats every single time and I am through it in about 45 seconds.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This motherfucker...

NG+ in Anor Londo. Guy invades me right when I reach the darkmoon bonfire for the first time I go up the stairs... he's nowhere to be found

I wait... for like 5 minutes.

Suddenly, up near the demons, I see him appear. He's... wearing silver knight equpment, and fires off a dragonslayer arrow

"You motherfucker" I say, knowing exactly where this is going.

So I go fight my way through the giants, the demons, and reach the path to the silver archers.... but this time, I have to fight off three of them.

... I did it. :)

Spot

I have decided to try this game again after previously quitting at the Gargoyles. Now, my playthrough is going much smoother but then something horrible happened. I ended up being cursed by one of those freaky looking frog things in the Depths. Is there any easy cure and how do I prevent myelf from being cursed in the first place?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I have decided to try this game again after previously quitting at the Gargoyles. Now, my playthrough is going much smoother but then something horrible happened. I ended up being cursed by one of those freaky looking frog things in the Depths. Is there any easy cure and how do I prevent myelf from being cursed in the first place?
Purging Stones can be purchased from Oswald of Carim in the Gargoyle Belltower for 4,000 souls or from The Undead Merchant (female) in the aqueduct between Firelink Shrine and The Depths for 6,000 souls.

Oswald is here: http://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Oswald+of+Carim
And the Undead Merchant is here: http://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Undead+Merchant+(Female)

You can prevent yourself from being cursed by engaging the frogs one at a time and try and bait out their curse gas. You can walk around the gas as they're spitting that shit out and kill them from the sides.

Mistel

Banned
Is there any easy cure and how do I prevent myelf from being cursed in the first place?
To cure yourself either go to the undead merchant in the aqueduct or back to the pardoner at the undead parish and by a purging stone from one of them. To reduce curse build up itself raise your soft humanity is pretty much all you can do at this stage, unless you want to get the cursebite ring from new londo. Fighting the basilisks themselves try to fight them separate from each other it makes it much easier to avoid being cursed.

Spot

Purging Stones can be purchased from Oswald of Carim in the Gargoyle Belltower for 4,000 souls or from The Undead Merchant (female) in the aqueduct between Firelink Shrine and The Depths for 6,000 souls.

Oswald is here: http://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Oswald+of+Carim
And the Undead Merchant is here: http://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Undead+Merchant+(Female)

You can prevent yourself from being cursed by engaging the frogs one at a time and try and bait out their curse gas. You can walk around the gas as they're spitting that shit out and kill them from the sides.

To cure yourself either go to the undead merchant in the aqueduct or back to the pardoner at the undead parish and by a purging stone from one of them. To reduce curse build up itself raise your soft humanity is pretty much all you can do at this stage, unless you want to get the cursebite ring from new londo. Fighting the basilisks themselves try to fight them separate from each other it makes it much easier to avoid being cursed.

Thanks for the help. Too bad that I have to backtrack all the way back.

Yoshichan

Thanks for the help. Too bad that I have to backtrack all the way back.
You could just go to the bonfire and telep... oooh... :)

Beat the Anor Londo bosses today. I don't think I would have ever came close if I didn't summon multiple people to help. I'm still having trouble with the silver spear knights too.

Booshka

Beat the Anor Londo bosses today. I don't think I would have ever came close if I didn't summon multiple people to help. I'm still having trouble with the silver spear knights too.

Upgrade a weapon that correlates with your stats, damage benefits from stat scaling is a huge thing in this game. So pay attention to what you are leveling, and how you are upgrading weapons. Certain upgrade paths benefit from specific stat investments, and each upgrade path has its appropriate Blacksmith for that upgrade path via embers.

So read item descriptions, look at the grades that benefit certain stats, if you have high Dex, look for weapons that have high grades in Dex scaling and upgrade that way, same goes for any other stat scaling.

Sullichin

I'll agree with you on ToTG, but Catacombs is a fantastic area, I started to really appreciate it after invading a ton down there, so many different pathways and shortcuts, drops, etc. I also did a lot of Guerilla Warfare (2v2 PvPvE in the whole level) and it is a fantastic play space.

ToTG I just do speedrun strats every single time and I am through it in about 45 seconds.
Tomb is so much fun to invade in too! But yeah I can pretty much go through that place blind in under a minute. I never felt like I knew the areas of DS2 quite as well as that, despite hundreds of hours

Booshka

Tomb is so much fun to invade in too! But yeah I can pretty much go through that place blind in under a minute. I never felt like I knew the areas of DS2 quite as well as that, despite hundreds of hours

Most of my area memorization comes from a ton of PvP and co-op, I know Drangleic Castle from Dark Souls 2 pretty well. But I have invaded just about every area in Dark Souls 1 a ton, so I know them very well. I am an absolute master at New Londo Ruins and 4 Kings because of all the invasions, PvE and co op I have done there.

I spent a couple hundred hours playing Dark Souls 2 total, but I have spent a couple hundred hours just playing in New Londo Ruins/4Kings.

Sillverrr

So I said I was going to attempt Dark Souls for the umpteenth time. Well, I just took down the Bell Gargoyles solo, after they messed my shit up all day yesterday! I am so excite! I'm ashamed to say I only just did it by cheesing the first guy with the Drake Sword - fuck him for flying around so much - and using Soul Arrows to take down the second one. I envy more skilled gamers who used a normal weapon and found this fight a breeze. But hey, this game *makes* it personal, so I'll use underhanded means if I have to!

When this game clicks, it CLICKS. If you get frustrated, you pick yourself back up, maybe get some lucky drops... never give in, never surrender! I have seen the light, and it is curiously dark and full of souls.

Mistel

Banned
How weird will it be to go from DS2 to DS1?

What will be the biggest wtf?
Lower breakpoints for roll speeds, less mobs padding out the bosses, more interconnected world, requiring embers to upgrade weapons, and no teleporting from the beginning. Those a probably the major things.

How weird will it be to go from DS2 to DS1?

What will be the biggest wtf?

When locked on you can only roll in four directions, there's no warping at bonfires until you're halfway through the game, and DS1 doesn't give out Titanite Slabs like candy. You also can't climb quickly up ladders, which I forgot about when I went back to DS1 recently.

strafer

Lower breakpoints for roll speeds, less mobs padding out the bosses, more interconnected world, requiring embers to upgrade weapons, and no teleporting from the beginning. Those a probably the major things.

Getting the timing down for everything!

When locked on you can only roll in four directions, there's no warping at bonfires until you're halfway through the game, and DS1 doesn't give out Titanite Slabs like candy. You also can't climb quickly up ladders, which I forgot about when I went back to DS1 recently.

oh man :D

You also can't use Estus while climbing ladders in DS1!
Does anyone use that? I always forget it's a thing, but I've never had call to do it either so.

You can change equipment on ladders in DS1, I hate that fucking 'no deal' menu noise in DS2, I mash the button until it lets me do something in a menu. So annoying.

Spot

I just entered Blighttown and man, this place is terrible. I keep getting lost with all the ladders everwhere not to mention getting poisioned a lot.
Unlike the other areas in the game, I just want to get through this place as fast as possible. Is there any good loot here that I should pick up?
If not, I'm going to sprint to the exit.

IceMarker

I just entered Blighttown and man, this place is terrible. I keep getting lost with all the ladders everwhere not to mention getting poisioned a lot.
Unlike the other areas in the game, I just want to get through this place as fast as possible. Is there any good loot here that I should pick up?
If not, I'm going to sprint to the exit.

If you're into Pyromancy, Power Within is nice, otherwise lower Blighttown has a lot better stuff.

Top Bottom