• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

IoCaster

Damn, I was rolling along pretty well and kicking ass then some big demon jumped me and I got curb stomped. Fucker came out of nowhere and landed right in front of me like the one in that tutorial dungeon. Oh well, I've got a lot of work to do to try and find a way to beat this guy. :/

Razek

Banned
You get the item later when you are in
the swamp, there is an occult club in the game as well

Sorry, I should have specified. That's actually a different version, the
Great Club .
I want the
Large Club
because of it's near same damage along with the poisoning ability.

Clevinger

Crap, I killed the person in the gold armor. Did he have any significance? Read one of those messages on the ground that he was a liar...

Don't feel bad. He's a huge asshole.
I hope you picked up the ring he should have dropped. Just be sure to read its description, because once you put the ring on it will break if you ever take it off. So you have to keep it on until you don't want/need it anymore.

Serra

Just beat the
Sanctuary Guardian
on the first try. I feel kinda stupid since I "accidentally" summoned a white phantom to help me. I was in human form just looking around the bonfire, someone invaded, I summoned a dude to help me. We killed the invader and then I just kinda forgot I had this dude with me and went through the fog gate.

I almost died like 5 times in the first 30 seconds when the boss rushed me and I didn't know any of his moves. After that it was pretty smooth sailing, one of use would stay at its flank and the other "tank"

Zimbardo

could someone let me know where i can find access to the new DLC area ...and the pvp arena?

i thought i remember hearing that it was around the hydra ...but i've been poking around there and can't see anything.

thanks.

mxgt

Banned
Fully finished the DLC today and I have to say it's my favourite DLC of this gen so far.

Great boss fights, the township area is fantastic and just well designed content all around.

Plus
Artorias' armour
looks fucking pimp

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
could someone let me know where i can find access to the new DLC area ...and the pvp arena?

i thought i remember hearing that it was around the hydra ...but i've been poking around there and can't see anything.

thanks.

you go left of the hydra area kill the gold golem talk to the chick then head to dukes archives
kill the blue golem there he will drop a broken pendant you take that back to where the gold golem was and now there will be a portal there that takes you to the dlc area that contains everything even the arena

Zimbardo

you go left of the hydra area kill the gold golem talk to the chick then head to dukes archives
kill the blue golem there he will drop a broken pendant you take that back to where the gold golem was and now there will be a portal there that takes you to the dlc area that contains everything even the arena

ah very nice.

thank you!

Dizzy-4U

Fully finished the DLC today and I have to say it's my favourite DLC of this gen so far.

Great boss fights, the township area is fantastic and just well designed content all around.

Plus
Artorias' armour
looks fucking pimp
The DLC content is that emblem that you buy from the blacksmith that opens that door in the woods?

2AdEPT

For those that are using quelag's fury sword. What's the best way to use its move set?

I've been doing r2 + r2 if its staggered.

Double r1 or forward r1 if it needs to be quick.
roll + R1 is my favourite move for that sword and one of the nicest looking in the whole game....almost Olymipcs gymnastics "10" calibre.
Hi guys, I am wondering if anyone can give me some good advice on a build...

I want a really strong build for both PVP and PVE as I am not a fan of making multiple chars and replaying the game over and over with different chars. I would like to make one strong char and take him to NG+ and maybe NG++.

My char is currently SL ~55:

Here are the stats:

vit: 25
end: 20
str:16
Dex: 34
Int: base
Faith: base

I want to max out my dex to 40(I am a dex build) and then invest into other attributes from there. I am trying to decide what I should do in regards to Sorcery or Miracles. I am a Pyro right now, but I know that it does not really cut it for PVP later on.

Option 1: Invest in INT

As a sorcerer with 25int, I could use Crystal Magic Weapon and do insane damage with a DEX based +15 weapon. There may be other useful sorceries as well for PVP and PVE.

Option 2: Invest in Faith

If you get your faith to 30, you can become ridiculous in PVP. Casting spells like Tranquil Walk of Peace, Wrath of the Gods, Vow of silence will gimp the opposition completely.

I am thinking that Faith is very overpowered...even at 18 with TWOP. Can anyone give me some advice/input? Thanks!

Both are good optios and you prolly WILL try one of each on different characters!! :p

Fatih will cost you less at 30..there are sunlight spears which are insame good for NG+ but they are the only ones that require 50 faith...you can still do all the miracles with 30 or so.....whereas socrcery will cost you 40 or 50 to be considered maxeed out. Faith would give you more options ot raise endurance and vitrality for PVP......but BOTH are worth trying at least once each as the moves and the style etc. are vastly different!!!!

Varvor

I wish to say a formal apology to all poor people who died to my SL1 Darkwrath Pyro. I am just trying to get by...........

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Well, make that about 40 kills and no drop. Come on, what is this, 1%?

It's really a rare drop. It was actually even rarer when the game first came out, but they increased its drop rate in the 1.05 patch.

If you have it, put on the
Covetous Gold Serpent Ring
and get some stored Humanity. Both of those increase drop rates.

Razek

Banned
you can boost your dropchance if you want to risk it.
Be human and have 10 humanity on the counter boost the dropchance.

I was thinking it but overall I think it would just slow me down since I couldn't commit suicide in the gorge anymore.

It's really a rare drop. It was actually even rarer when the game first came out, but they increased its drop rate in the 1.05 patch.

If you have it, put on the
Covetous Gold Serpent Ring
and get some stored Humanity. Both of those increase drop rates.

I'm trying to get it before beating a single boss so that item is sadly out of the question.

HungOverOnATues said:
Yeah, I do :(. Is your NAT open?
Yeah, my routers settings are good, I've just chalked it up to poor net code.

Ugh, scratch that. I just checked and it's not actually using upnp. Took a look at my routers settings and I had manually port forwarded the XBL ports which are the same as GFWL. Funnily enough, I did that a year ago in a desperate attempt to fix Dark Souls on the 360 lol.

Removed the port forwarding entries and now upnp is working. I feel dumb.

koryuken

roll + R1 is my favourite move for that sword and one of the nicest looking in the whole game....almost Olymipcs gymnastics "10" calibre.

Both are good optios and you prolly WILL try one of each on different characters!! :p

Fatih will cost you less at 30..there are sunlight spears which are insame good for NG+ but they are the only ones that require 50 faith...you can still do all the miracles with 30 or so.....whereas socrcery will cost you 40 or 50 to be considered maxeed out. Faith would give you more options ot raise endurance and vitrality for PVP......but BOTH are worth trying at least once each as the moves and the style etc. are vastly different!!!!

Thank you for the advice. I am strongly leaning towards a faith build as it gives you a lot of options for having only 30 points. Plus that dark moon blade will likely come in very handy.

krishian

Just spent an hour trying for some jolly cooperation at the gargoyles with my new character, without even one successfull summon, but I used my 4 cracked red eye orbs and always invaded within 10 seconds :/

Gvaz

Banned
Black Knight Greatsword easily takes you through the game, but if anything it's overpowered. Rather low chance to drop though.

I'm eyeing the two new greatswords from the DLC, unfortunately I missed both on this character.
I got it on the first black knight I killed. I missed the other black knight apparently. Where do you find the one that drops the 1h sword?

Ledsen

FINALLY that fucking Taurus asshole... my game clock said 5 hours when I finally got the bastard. When I finally beat him it was really easy because I knew all his attacks, their tells, wind-up, cooldown and reach.

JeTmAn81

I got this game today (PS3 version), but I'm having a hard time deciding how to actually play it. I'm afraid if I try to play it without any help at all I'll just get frustrated and give up, but I don't want to know how to do everything beforehand. I guess I just want to avoid making the decisions that you can't undo and which cause you a lot of pain afterward.

I got this game today (PS3 version), but I'm having a hard time deciding how to actually play it. I'm afraid if I try to play it without any help at all I'll just get frustrated and give up, but I don't want to know how to do everything beforehand. I guess I just want to avoid making the decisions that you can't undo and which cause you a lot of pain afterward.

If you get stuck just look on a guide where o how you have to advance.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but this thread is pretty big so...

Playing through the game for the first time, I just entered Blighttown (woo), but I was wondering, at what point in the game is it appropriate to do the added DLC content? Will it be pretty much as I get access to it, whenever that happens? Not too concerned with spoilers in this context.

derwalde

one think i dont like about dark souls coop: you kind of get punished for helping people by spending your shitton of souls you get from coop. i helped tons of people with S&O und now i swim in souls. i dont want to waste them but if i level up further, the chance of helping and cooping with others will be reduced. my equipment is upgraded as far as possible (with souls). what a dilemma...

Orayn

one think i dont like about dark souls coop: you kind of get punished for helping people by spending your shitton of souls you get from coop. i helped tons of people with S&O und now i swim in souls. i dont want to waste them but if i level up further, the chance of helping and cooping with others will be reduced. my equipment is upgraded as far as possible (with souls). what a dilemma...

Solution: Buy a pile of Rings of Sacrifice so you can walk around with a ton of souls and humanity without being afraid of losing them.

derwalde

Solution: Buy a pile of Rings of Sacrifice so you can walk around with a ton of souls and humanity without being afraid of losing them.

im not really afraid of losing them, but theyre kind of worthless right now. i would love to actually use them for something.

Ridley327

I got it on the first black knight I killed. I missed the other black knight apparently. Where do you find the one that drops the 1h sword?

You can actually tell who would drop what by looking at them; there's visual differences between the knights, including the weapon that they use. If they're using a greatsword, they have a chance to drop that, etc.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Hey again, I still feel like I know nothing about this game. Just wanted to ask, does the game actually teach you any of its systems or should I be consulting wikis/faqs?? I glanced over this thread and people are spouting off about stuff that is completely incomprehensible to me. Should I be using items that give you humanity? Should I saving them? What does it even do? What about souls? I am always using them to boost my endurance for now but is that what I should be doing? I don't know! I kind of want to just learn everything as I play but I'm worried there is some really obscure stuff that I won't learn if I don't "cheat" by reading faqs/wikis...

Hey again, I still feel like I know nothing about this game. Just wanted to ask, does the game actually teach you any of its systems or should I be consulting wikis/faqs?? I glanced over this thread and people are spouting off about stuff that is completely incomprehensible to me. Should I be using items that give you humanity? Should I saving them? What does it even do? What about souls? I am always using them to boost my endurance for now but is that what I should be doing? I don't know! I kind of want to just learn everything as I play but I'm worried there is some really obscure stuff that I won't learn if I don't "cheat" by reading faqs/wikis...

I tried going at it alone for Demons Souls and ended up having a frustrating experience that ultimately ended with me quitting. For Dark Souls I got the strategy guide, read the forums and have been enjoying every minute.

Ridley327

I wouldn't really call it "cheating," as the game does leave some basic gameplay stuff up for you to figure out on your own (like manually aiming with bows or jumping).

I would say that stuff like that, as well as how the basic stat stuff works, is stuff that you can't really spoil.

ixix

im not really afraid of losing them, but theyre kind of worthless right now. i would love to actually use them for something.

You could always upgrade your Pyromancy Flame if you haven't already. Buying all the Pyromancies and fully upgrading the Flame costs ~500,000 souls, and it's a useful investment for any character.

Other good soul sinks are arrows and bolts if you're using a bow or crossbow, upgrade materials, Humanity, and the armor sets sold by Domnhall.

I do tons of co-op and it's rare indeed that I can't find something to sink all those souls into other than levels.

zkylon

zkylewd
The game explains very little, so you should def post here your questions or check a guide if you're unsure of something. Try to avoid overdoing it, because it'll damage the experience, but it's meant to be a puzzle solved by working with the community, both in-game and in forums, with friends, guides, etc.

Haunted

Are there any good reasons to avoid killing Crossbreed Priscilla?
Not being a cold-hearted monster.

The game does not do a good job of explaining most of its mechanics. Definitely consult the wiki or this thread if you have questions.

derwalde

You could always upgrade your Pyromancy Flame if you haven't already. Buying all the Pyromancies and fully upgrading the Flame costs ~500,000 souls, and it's a useful investment for any character.

Other good soul sinks are arrows and bolts if you're using a bow or crossbow, upgrade materials, Humanity, and the armor sets sold by Domnhall.

I do tons of co-op and it's rare indeed that I can't find something to sink all those souls into other than levels.

my pyro glove is already maxxed out :3

ill just buy few humanities.

Frank

As your own confusion attests the game also thrives on the information each player gathers and shares as he plays - some months down the road condensed into wikis.

You are not cheating by doing this. The whole game is built on strangers helping strangers, and hands reaching across worlds. The game's own director speaks of this happening as being one of the aims of the game.

Read what you need, just don't cheat yourself out of the beautiful surprises in terms of locations and challenges, bosses and characters, and the intricate detail of the level design.

Basic gameplay mechanics don't fall under these.

Put your hand across the void, man, some players died to get you that info! Pay your respects and read! :p

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So is it true that everyone on the top 10 are just cheaters?
Last I checked I was #3, might be lower now, and I'm definitely legit. It's why those cheating crapbags make me mad though when people like me actually had to work to get there. I think around half of the top 10 had impossible stats though.

Edit - looks like I'm 5 now lol

I have to say, having almost finished the DLC, that it has practically everything we could have asked for. Tons of new armor sets, great weapons, fun spells, great boss battles, etc. And then you throw in Durante's game changing work with the resolution and framerates........

This is the best $40 I've ever spent on a game that I already own since the Orange Box.

Sullichin

Got
Kalemeet's tail
with the help of someone, then decided to start over again as an int character to try out the new sorceries from the DLC. The guy I summoned was using them and they looked really cool.

Tin banishment catalyst really makes the beginning of the game easy. Rang both bells and rocking a longsword +5 w/ magic weapon. Was doing fine until I lost a bunch of souls on my way back to Capra demon (who completely ignored my alluring skull this time) and said fuck it, I'll take care of him later. Now to rush through to get back to the new stuff.

I have to say, having almost finished the DLC, that it has practically everything we could have asked for. Tons of new armor sets, great weapons, fun spells, great boss battles, etc. And then you throw in Durante's game changing work with the resolution and framerates........

This is the best $40 I've ever spent on a game that I already own since the Orange Box.

I wish the actual levels were longer and that it showed some love for faith users besides offering another white titanite slab. I guess faith users still have an advantage in the new content because miracles are the only way to heal in the pvp arena. Anyway, besides those minor complaints I think the DLC is awesome. All of the bosses are worthy of being in this game. They are all quite difficult.

Are there any good reasons to avoid killing Crossbreed Priscilla?

Yes - It keeps the painted world open for invasions. It's a popular hotspot on consoles. Online seems broken/dead to me in the PC version though.

Razek

Banned
Funny how everything turned out. I decide to change weapons because getting the big one I wanted was taking too long. So, I went and grinded those stupid blightown barbarians for an hour or two and never got the drop. I did end up with about 35k in souls so I spent it on the
Forest Crest
so I could end up doing everything required to buy the weapon I wanted in the first place. Pretty weird how that turned out :/

Edit: Oh crap, I bought two of the same weapon and I really don't feel like grinding up another 10k souls to buy the other. I KNEW I should have checked my inventory first.

ixix

my pyro glove is already maxxed out :3

ill just buy few humanities.

Well, if you've got 16/14 Str/Dex you could always make a
Lightning Avelyn and load it with lightning bolts
. It's incredibly powerful but every single time you pull the trigger 2100 souls go flying off into the ether. It's pretty much the single most effective soul sink in the game, and oh so very much fun.

Basic primer so you don't need to start over:

Any basic soul you pick up (Soldier's, Knight's, Hero's etc) are just for getting a boost, mostly useful when you need a little extra to level up or buy something. Since they're items, you don't lose them when you die.

Souls you get from bosses are unique, you can make weapons from them but in case you don't need that weapon, you can just consume them for a boost.

Fire Keeper's Souls are VERY valuable as they permanently improve your flasks. This is the number one thing to keep in mind. NEVER use them, instead you go to a fire keeper (like the one right below the starting fire) and upgrade the flasks.

Humanity items are also useful to store, since you can't lose them. Use them when you need active humanity, that is, when you want to go human, kindle a fire or to boost your item drop chances.

You can always level vitality and endurance to about 30-40, but to do damage you'll want a damage stat. You also need to meet requirements for the weapon or spell you want to use. This means putting levels in Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence or Faith. Once you've met the requirements, keep putting levels into the stat that raises damage. This depends on the type of weapon and how you've been upgrading it. A quick way to tell is the letters at the weapon information: S, A, B, C, D and E. These tell you how well the damage scales with each stat.

Finally, Sorcery spells scale with Intelligence, Miracles scale with Faith and Pyromancy scale with an improved Pyromancer Glove. Generally, as a beginner, you'd do well to get some sorcery as those spells are VERY helpful early on.

Apart from that, you can level how you want, choose any weapon or spell on any class, and approach the areas in very many ways. Some things are missable but it's very hard to actually ruin your character beyond recovery. Just never level up Resistance though.

Top Bottom