• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Yeah, that was a kinda fun on PS3, but it was way more fun actually playing together in demon souls.

My friends and I never had a problem on the 360. I co-oped the full game with a few people thanks to the glorious "Join Session in Progress" trick on the 360. Sorry to hear that the PS3 doesn't have that same trick. :( Trying to join up was a nightmare before we figured out the trick.

Lucentto

Banned
Having trouble updating GFWL. I sign in with my account, after finishing starting the update, it tells me to shut down the game. I do that and see the window installer start, but it never finishes no matter how many times I try. Is there a way to manually update GFWL?

My friends and I never had a problem on the 360. I co-oped the full game with a few people thanks to the glorious "Join Session in Progress" trick on the 360. Sorry to hear that the PS3 doesn't have that same trick. :( Trying to join up was a nightmare before we figured out the trick.

Whats the trick? does it work on the Windows version?

is the performance significantly better than the console versions?

I have a 5770 as well. With my current rig, and the patch running at 2880x1620. It runs very well, and only slows around the same places as the console version. I, however, love the difference in how it looks. Then again, it might just be me. =p

2AdEPT

One of the coolest things about the game is how everything is connected and how it gives the player an opportunity to skip the first 50% of the game if they choose to.

I plan on running the
Demon Great Machete in a normal +15 config along with the crystal weapon enchantment. I plan on dabbling with some of the soul arrow attacks for shielded enemies as well so I don't get myself screwed over. I'll probably do VIT to 30 since afterwards it's diminishing returns. Looking at the stat cal sheet, bringing your STR from 27 (minimum to wield that weapon) to 99 only gives a net increase of around 60 damage. That to me is not worth it and seems like such a waste.

Good points....that weapon can be two handed, but I think you figured out that you don't have to hit the listed str total if you two hand...as 27 is pretty low for a tank weapon like that. So also goign with sorcery....make sure to consider focusing more on INT than the str..36 str allows you to 2-hdn all weapons in the game IIRC....but with DGM only costing 27 that gives you a shot at 50 int for
white dragon breath.
not to mention
crystal homing soulmass, the spears etc.
If you are a good player, you don't need too much vitality, I often leave it in the 20's..same with endurance,althoguh DGM will need lots for combos. HUGE weapon spoiler:

there is a special weapon for magic users that trumps your DGM...and costs only 20 or so str. it is found later in the game usually though and scales with INT.....
you are starting to see that INT is a more popular path than str for a reason! I like having at least 3-4 core weapons for different situations....FROM has varied the enemy spread enough that one weapon is not ideal ....particualrly if it is a specialty weapon like STR....DEX is more applicable ot a wide variety of situations and hence there is a penalty for this in the damage department, but considering DPS.......dex beats out str for the skilled player. Pretty much neasn most people are doign multipe playthroughs to test all this...and that is fine!

Razek

Banned
Good points....that weapon can be two handed, but I think you figured out that you don't have to hit the listed str total if you two hand...as 27 is pretty low for a tank weapon like that. So also goign with sorcery....make sure to consider focusing more on INT than the str..36 str allows you to 2-hdn all weapons in the game IIRC....but with DGM only costing 27 that gives you a shot at 50 int for
white dragon breath.
not to mention
crystal homing soulmass, the spears etc.
If you are a good player, you don't need too much vitality, I often leave it in the 20's..same with endurance,althoguh DGM will need lots for combos. HUGE weapon spoiler:

there is a special weapon for magic users that trumps your DGM...and costs only 20 or so str. it is found later in the game usually though and scales with INT.....
you are starting to see that INT is a more popular path than str for a reason!

Right, I chose this one because I found you can get it fairly early in the game by utilizing the master key to shortcut to most places, so I can enjoy playing with it against the bosses and such. I don't plan on doing any pvp, I always just play the soul games pve. I'm not sure how much Int I'm going to run yet. I might just get enough for HSM since I can cast and forget.

I really dislike that weapons moveset.

Is it the same as zweinhander? I know it has the jump stab, is it hard to hit with that? I'd be willing to consider other alternatives like the
great axe, demons great axe, demons great hammer since they all have ~640 maxed damage

2AdEPT

Right, I chose this one because I found you can get it fairly early in the game by utilizing the master key to shortcut to most places, so I can enjoy playing with it against the bosses and such. I don't plan on doing any pvp, I always just play the soul games pve. I'm not sure how much Int I'm going to run yet. I might just get enough for HSM since I can cast and forget.

Is it the same as zweinhander? I know it has the jump stab, is it hard to hit with that? I'd be willing to consider other alternatives like the
great axe, demons great axe, demons great hammer since they all have ~640 maxed damage

final goading to get you to pump your INT:

arguably one of the best swords (FROM's signature aptly named sword in all their games...even Armoured core 5 draws referndce to it) in the souls series awaits

being able to emulate a boss with
white dragon breath (minus the curse effect)
is cool ...won't over hype it as it might be a let down, but I can't do sorcery half assed and love being able to send surface tracers up walls and over obstacles.....sooo f'n cool....never see anyone do it much as I think most just don't get it and think it is useless....but it isn't and can be a huge aly in certain situations in PVP or PVE alike.

Razek

Banned
final goading to get you to pump your INT:

arguably one of the best swords (FROM's signature aptly named sword in all their games...even Armoured core 5 draws referndce to it) in the souls series awaits

being able to emulate a boss with
white dragon breath (minus the curse effect)
is cool ...won't over hype it as it might be a let down, but I can't do sorcery half assed and love being able to send surface tracers up walls and over obstacles.....sooo f'n cool....never see anyone do it much as I think most just don't get it and think it is useless....but it isn't and can be a huge aly in certain situations in PVP or PVE alike.

Who knows. I looked at it and it's definitely a cool spell. That's many hours of gameplay away before I can get it so I can still get some feel for my build. I haven't even beaten the game yet so I don't know too much if this [big weapon build] is going to end up sucking really bad.

ezekial45

Banned
What's a really, really good greatsword? I'm getting a bit tired of the Black Knight Sword. I went back to using Quellag's Furysword, but I want to go back to using something with a bit more weight behind it.

Serra

What's a really, really good greatsword? I'm getting a bit tired of the Black Knight Sword. I went back to using Quellag's Furysword, but I want to go back to using something with a bit more weight behind it.

Just get a claymore, zweihander or greatsword and upgrade it as you want.

Grief.exe

For those that are using quelag's fury sword. What's the best way to use its move set?

I've been doing r2 + r2 if its staggered.

Double r1 or forward r1 if it needs to be quick.

Black Knight Greatsword easily takes you through the game, but if anything it's overpowered. Rather low chance to drop though.

I'm eyeing the two new greatswords from the DLC, unfortunately I missed both on this character.

arit

Black Knight Greatsword of course, even though it would be an ult. greatsword then. I'm still switching between those two since the normal one is a little bit faster and if both need 2hits to kill, faster is better.

I've really been taking my time with this play through, helping a lot of people get past bosses. I've wanted to replay the game for quite awhile now but I was waiting for this release. Last night I was just about to enter Sen's Fortress, which is one of my favorite levels in the game. I can't wait to get off work to jump back in.

Sullichin

Black Knight Greatsword easily takes you through the game, but if anything it's overpowered. Rather low chance to drop though.

I'm eyeing the two new greatswords from the DLC, unfortunately I missed both on this character.

I think I'm going to start over as a STR/INT dude and rush to the new content again. It doesn't seem to have much new to offer for fai/dex build.
Unless Ciaran's daggers are any good, which they don't seem to be

can greatswords (2H only right?) block or parry?

You can use them one handed if you meet the STR requirement. You can block some damage with it 2H.

Yeah, I've been using that Black Knight Greatsword for quite awhile now and it's working great. I never got it when I played the console version.

Clevinger

So how do I summon
Solaire
? Should I?

Where are you? If you're at the
Bell Gargoyles, his summon sign is right near the fog door to where you fight them. You have to be in human form to see the summon sign and to summon him though. Should you? If you're having a lot of trouble with the boss. But be warned: he makes that boss really easy. There's also another NPC in that church that you can find and I think you can summon him for that battle. He's in gold armor.

Firehead

Where are you? If you're at the
Bell Gargoyles, his summon sign is right near the fog door to where you fight them. You have to be in human form to see the summon sign and to summon him though. Should you? If you're having a lot of trouble with the boss. But be warned: he makes that boss really easy. There's also another NPC in that church that you can find and I think you can summon him for that battle. He's in gold armor.

Crap, I killed the person in the gold armor. Did he have any significance? Read one of those messages on the ground that he was a liar...

KSai

one day earlier and I wouldn't have had ot start over after 30 hours.....whatever you guys don't kill
ingward in new londo for the Dam(n) key
he is glitched in the pc version and does not drop the goods like normal.....no water removal=no boss, no end boss, no +15 weapons.

That's really unfortunate. I had no problem at all.

Question: did they improve Sanctus's HP regen or is it still useless?

Still useless. 2 HP per however long it takes.

Razek

Banned
Need some advice please. Anyone know how rare some of the drops are? Specifically:
The infested barbarians with the club at the back entrance to blightown? I decided I want that club but I've killed about 20 so far and haven't gotten it to drop yet. Just dung pies.

wutwutwut

So now that I've gotten more comfortable with the controls (though I'm not comfortable with parrying), I'm finding the Black Knights a cakewalk -- pyromancy, block, block, block, look for backstabs. Took down three of them really easily.

I'm switching up between the Estoc +5 and the Claymore +5 depending on whether I can get backstabs into the enemy. Both are great weapons.

koryuken

Hi guys, I am wondering if anyone can give me some good advice on a build...

I want a really strong build for both PVP and PVE as I am not a fan of making multiple chars and replaying the game over and over with different chars. I would like to make one strong char and take him to NG+ and maybe NG++.

My char is currently SL ~55:

Here are the stats:

vit: 25
end: 20
str:16
Dex: 34
Int: base
Faith: base

I want to max out my dex to 40(I am a dex build) and then invest into other attributes from there. I am trying to decide what I should do in regards to Sorcery or Miracles. I am a Pyro right now, but I know that it does not really cut it for PVP later on.

Option 1: Invest in INT

As a sorcerer with 25int, I could use Crystal Magic Weapon and do insane damage with a DEX based +15 weapon. There may be other useful sorceries as well for PVP and PVE.

Option 2: Invest in Faith

If you get your faith to 30, you can become ridiculous in PVP. Casting spells like Tranquil Walk of Peace, Wrath of the Gods, Vow of silence will gimp the opposition completely.

I am thinking that Faith is very overpowered...even at 18 with TWOP. Can anyone give me some advice/input? Thanks!

Raxus

Need some advice please. Anyone know how rare some of the drops are? Specifically:
The infested barbarians with the club at the back entrance to blightown? I decided I want that club but I've killed about 20 so far and haven't gotten it to drop yet. Just dung pies.

You get the item later when you are in
the swamp, there is an occult club in the game as well

Top Bottom