• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Don't fret about "wasting points". They just cost souls, you can always get more. The amount of souls I lost because I didn't go up a level is absurd.

For instance: I haven't gone to the Lower Undead Burg yet, I've been through the Catacombs, I already have 38 strength and 18 dexterity and I started as a Pyromancer.

I wanted to try those Dark Knight weapons.

Took me 25 hours (awfully long, I know), but I'm having a great motherfucking time.

Razek

Banned
So, I was getting burnt out and trying to slavage any fun left I decided to break down and finally look at the wiki while planning to restart and make an optimum damage focused build. Fighting the later enemies just takes way too long with my fire spear.

Looking at a stat calc, why are
str/dex so useless? They hardly do anything to your final damage stats.

Sullichin

thanks for the advice guys, WOW work sucks when all you can think about is dark souls lol

so is faith 8->14 a waste for a pyromancer just because I want to use the Astora's Straight Sword (and as a RPG hoarder I like idea of some heals)?

Wasting points is something you can worry about more when making a PVP build or your next character. Because you won't stop after just one. :)

Worst case scenario you grind a few levels. If you level up reallly high, though, you might have a harder time finding co-op opportunities.

Gvaz

Banned
hm, i would say you need atleast half of new game+ to get every armor. And yes every chest respawns in new game+. So you get every armor from chest a second time for example.
That's frustrating, I dont want duplicates of (most) armors/weapons :\

especially since you can't sell them for anything, not even souls and the only thing they're good for is trading to the crow for items for shit you have extra of (which only applies on ng+ and beyond)

oh thats cool, how long does it take to get the depths?
For me it took me at least 10 hours as a new player to get to the Brilliant Door (two levels below the depths, Depths->Blighttown->whatever that hell/lava/dwarf world is called)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

especially since you can't sell them for anything, not even souls and the only thing they're good for is trading to the crow for items for shit you have extra of (which only applies on ng+ and beyond)

you can buy a storage box and put all your unwanted stuff into it

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

especially since you can't sell them for anything, not even souls
This is wrong. You can feed anything except key items to Frampt for souls. He will even give you a good amount for rare weapons and armor.

arit

For me it took me at least 10 hours as a new player to get to the Brilliant Door (two levels below the depths, Depths->Blighttown->whatever that hell/lava/dwarf world is called)

You can sell them after ringing the two bells
via feeding them to Frampt at firelink shrine

Gvaz

Banned
You can sell them after ringing the two bells
via feeding them to Frampt at firelink shrine
I went all the way down to the brilliant door and came back to firelink through valley of drakes (where did this place come from?) then went into some place with ghosts who I had nothing to fight them with (magic did nothing whatsoever), found an elevator which brought me to firelink.

I went what?? Where the hell was this?

That's my major complaint so far, the levels are fucking confusing and there's secret paths that arent obvious everywhere. (probably because the imaginary light your player carries is so goddamn short in distance)

Gvaz

Banned
I'm not asking for a goddamn marker or waypoint trail, I'm asking for paths to be marked somewhere!

Like I can never find ladders in blighttown, so instead I look for torches, because there is always one near the top of a ladder. It's a pain in the ass. :\

Ridley327

Made it to the bottom of Blighttown and its bonfire. Holy shit, that place is a rush. Between the poison dart jerks (who only thought they were safe mwahahahaha), the precarious walkways where one false move sends you tumbling to your death, and the sheer numbers of those guys that came out of The Descent, you have to stay on your toes the whole time. It's fucking nuts, and I love it.

Am I correct in assuming that once the poison dart guys are gone, they're gone for good?

Gvaz

Banned
Made it to the bottom of Blighttown and its bonfire. Holy shit, that place is a rush. Between the poison dart jerks (who only thought they were safe mwahahahaha), the precarious walkways where one false move sends you tumbling to your death, and the sheer numbers of those guys that came out of The Descent, you have to stay on your toes the whole time. It's fucking nuts, and I love it.
I hated blighttown because falling through the wood panels is bullshit. pure bullshit.

Totakeke

So I just bought and installed the game, obviously in part to Durante's efforts, and boy, the default keyboard settings are ridiculous and the mouse control sucks a lot. Unfortunately the only gamepads I have lying around are Wii and Gamecube controllers. I guess it's time to remap all the keys.

Sullichin

I'm not asking for a goddamn marker or waypoint trail, I'm asking for paths to be marked somewhere!

Like I can never find ladders in blighttown, so instead I look for torches, because there is always one near the top of a ladder. It's a pain in the ass. :\

Well there you go ;)

Ridley327

I should also mention that the chest past the Blighttown bottom bonfire was one of the most intimidating chests in the game thus far. I definitely don't want to spoil it, but the tension was palpable.

Majmun

Capra Demon is bullshit. I'm taking a break.

I know how you feel.

Currently on my New Game+++ on Ps3. Of all the bosses I've encountered in the game, the Capra Demon was the most frustrating one. And that's mainly thanks to those shitty annoying helldogs. They always blocked the road to those steps. And the Capra is NOT a patient boss. He'll try to trash you immediately after entering the room.

My first encounter with him lasted maybe 3 seconds It took me ~20 tries before I could beat him.

I can't wait until I can try out the DLC. My new PC will arrive soon. Hopefully the next Dark Souls game will see a day 1 release on PC...

SJRB

Gold Member
You know, this may be silly but one of the things I enjoy most in Dark Souls are the area names. Anor Londo, Lost Izalith, Ash Lake, Blighttown.

They're so incredibly well thought-out that even the names of the areas invoke some kind of unsettling feeling. Very well done.

Gvaz

Banned
do you think it's possible to make a model exporter for this game?

I wanna see about getting some of these badass armors/weapons in fallout or skyrim.

Grief.exe

I wanna see about getting some of these badass armors/weapons in fallout or skyrim.

I'm more excited for if people go the opposite way and fix up some of these muddy textures in dark souls.

Haunted

Here is a 3D map viewer for Dark Souls

It uses collision data to create a 3D map of the entire Dark Souls world.
Just checked that out - awesome stuff. Really cool.

Suddenly I question the feasibility of a 2D map for the bonfire warps. :p So much overlap and interconnected space.

real talk: Dark Souls has some of the best grounded medieval armour designs this side of Witcher 2.

Monster Hunter Tri might also be in that region, but I can't think of other games coming close. Just great designs.

Grief.exe

Just checked that out - awesome stuff. Really cool.

Suddenly I question the feasibility of a 2D map for the bonfire warps. :p So much overlap and interconnected space.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I assume it was a lot like vanilla world of warcraft in that the sense of scale is more a trick of the eye or an illusion.

2AdEPT

im playing with a claymore lightning +5 right now but i want to develop my char into a faith build. is the gargoyle halberd a good weapon to go for the divine upgrade path?

alternative would be balder side sword.
Don't put any weapon into divine or occult....divine is good for one level plus one additional boss and that's it....THose two weapons are awesome..take them both +15 and either buff with
Darkmoon or Sunlight depending on whether you want to join darkmoon or sunbro
and you will have learned the ways of the force (faith is like being a star wars character.) You need 30 faith to use these.
I cannot backstab for my life!
beaten - shield down...moving is ok.
So is the
Iron Golem supposed to start stumbling around and fall off the ramparts at 80%? Kind of a disappointing fight if so lol.
not supposed to..but it happens from time to time if you hack his legs he will fall down...if you do it on teh bridge instead of the main area he may fall off.
How far in to the game can you get lightning spear? Pyromancer here choosing between faith and sorcery path...
ah thanks, wow probably gonna take me a while to get lightning spear then

I just started my pyromancer playthrough and found Astora's Straight Sword and am thinking of raising faith to 14 to use this, as well as using Heal and great heal 1 cast version

then gradually raising INT into 20's to get the nice sorcery spells, particularly for homing spells (they LOOK awesome lol) and high attunement for these, faith and pyro

Then rest of attributes among various combat ones especially to max out stamina, plus Health, and a little STR and DEX

is it a waste to put points into Faith for this? ie from 8 to 14?
Lightning spear uses no stats from magic so it is irrelevant what path you choose for LS. Most importnat to decide if you wnat to buff your physical +15 weapons with
crystal magic weapon, or Darkmoon/Sunlight. Darkmoon
is the best but you have to stay with that covenenat to use it.

Astora - good weapon for the catacombs but not necesary.....Its definitely not a waste if you end up goign faith over sorcery, but if you like co-op /pvp and I suggerst that most DO, you will want to stay in the 60-90 range for SL. THerefore choosing either int or fai and either str or endurance is usually prudent. Take most of your weapons to +15 physical, then make an elemental each for certain situations.

My favourite is faith..but I start as a sorcerer as the points in resistance are useless and soercer has the least at start. YOu get 15 int and only one more level gets you all the starting magic...once I get stronger I switch to faith as it is hard to do faith right from the start owing to the covenenants for it requiring ring both bells and reaching Anor londo.

I've had corrupted saves on the PS3 version of Dark Souls and with other games using GFWL, so I setup an automated backup system for my Dark Souls saves. Here's how I did it.
one day earlier and I wouldn't have had ot start over after 30 hours.....whatever you guys don't kill
ingward in new londo for the Dam(n) key
he is glitched in the pc version and does not drop the goods like normal.....no water removal=no boss, no end boss, no +15 weapons. Made it to ANor londo last night in 4-5 hours on my fresh start though (includes eating and bathroom breaks and got a lot of stuff but no hydra yet.).....would have been less had I not retried stray demon 4-5 times over a half hour...still my nemesis despite that I don't even lose a health sliver if I do it like I know how I can do it...cheese at the start one or twice as the hammer fell on me before I could get up form the fall = annoying as hell. Anyone want some good stuff? two gargoyle halberds, one at +10, and a Balder side sword and a washing pole both +10...a slab, lots of chunks...all goign to waste unless someone wants to take them for free/or trade for help on bosses for my new character! - SL56 for free stuff, SL 20 to help me on Oand S. - PM me here or AdEPTErik on GFWL.
So, I was getting burnt out and trying to slavage any fun left I decided to break down and finally look at the wiki while planning to restart and make an optimum damage focused build. Fighting the later enemies just takes way too long with my fire spear.

Looking at a stat calc, why are
str/dex so useless? They hardly do anything to your final damage stats.

See above....physical weapons are the best for methodological playthrough people....elemetals are cool and accessable earlier...but nothing beats a +15 dex/faith
darkmoon
build for damage. Choose either dex or strenght and faith or magic, keep other stats loewr if you can play well, raise vit and end at cost to your damage otherwise. If not interested in PFP/co-op (but you should be) then just pump away at wahteber stats you feel like and be a jack of all trades (not recommended.)

Razek

Banned
One of the coolest things about the game is how everything is connected and how it gives the player an opportunity to skip the first 50% of the game if they choose to.

See above....physical weapons are the best for methodological playthrough people....elemetals are cool and accessable earlier...but nothing beats a +15 dex/faith
darkmoon
build for damage. Choose either dex or strenght and faith or magic, keep other stats loewr if you can play well, raise vit and end at cost to your damage otherwise. If not interested in PFP/co-op (but you should be) then just pump away at wahteber stats you feel like and be a jack of all trades (not recommended.)

I plan on running the
Demon Great Machete in a normal +15 config along with the crystal weapon enchantment. I plan on dabbling with some of the soul arrow attacks for shielded enemies as well so I don't get myself screwed over. I'll probably do VIT to 30 since afterwards it's diminishing returns. Looking at the stat cal sheet, bringing your STR from 27 (minimum to wield that weapon) to 99 only gives a net increase of around 60 damage. That to me is not worth it and seems like such a waste.

So is the matchmaking for this game just for PVP, and it's still almost impossible to play the actual game with a friend?

Or can I play this like I played Demon Souls?

You know, this may be silly but one of the things I enjoy most in Dark Souls are the area names. Anor Londo, Lost Izalith, Ash Lake, Blighttown.

They're so incredibly well thought-out that even the names of the areas invoke some kind of unsettling feeling. Very well done.

From Software has been nailing atmosphere like that since fucking King's Field on the Playstation 1. Those games were sorely underrated and have the same hardcore approach in terms of enemies that are punishing and intimidating. They are also some of the first if not the first open world 3D games on consoles. King's Field 2 is ace. It starts with you about a half mile out on a sandbar in the ocean and you have to carefully watch your steps to get to shore. Then on the left side of the island as soon as you get to shore there is a giant fucking Kraken that kills you in one hit. On the rigth side there is a treasure chest guarded by evil skeletons that do the same. Plunging into the cave is the only "safe" route. And that's the start of the game.

Ridley327

So is the matchmaking for this game just for PVP, and it's still almost impossible to play the actual game with a friend?

Or can I play this like I played Demon Souls?

I don't think it's impossible to play with a friend, as long as you coordinate where whomever will be putting down their summon sign. Tricky, but not impossible.

I don't think it's impossible to play with a friend, as long as you coordinate where whomever will be putting down their summon sign. Tricky, but not impossible.

We did that on PS3 for a dozen hours to no avail, my buddy and I thought this would finally be our chance to play together. :(

If consider the impossibility of their stats given their levels...most definitely are, unfortunately.

I told people this would happen, and this is only the beginning. The open platform of the PC is going to ruin the online portion of the game. :( PS3 is the most secure, followed by the 360 which has modders, but they aren't in abundance because it takes a few more steps before you can start modding.

Ridley327

We did that on PS3 for a dozen hours to no avail, my buddy and I thought this would finally be our chance to play together. :(

Well, one thing about the PC version is that the netcode is frequently inconsistent, so that would compound matters.

But the theory is sound!

Play it separately but keep pace with each other and talk about your experiences. In my opinion playing Dark Souls single handed is the way to go most of the time anyway. But talking about ti with others is fantastic. That's the fun part.

Sorry for such rash question, but is this game Steamworks? I'm aware it's available on Steam, but do I need to use Steam to play? Regard I bought it from else where.

wutwutwut

Sorry for such rash question, but is this game Steamworks? I'm aware it's available on Steam, but do I need to use Steam to play? Regard I bought it from else where.
The game can optionally be activated on Steam using the key that's given to you. It doesn't use Steamworks multiplayer though, whether or not you activate it on Steam.

Play it separately but keep pace with each other and talk about your experiences. In my opinion playing Dark Souls single handed is the way to go most of the time anyway. But talking about ti with others is fantastic. That's the fun part.

Yeah, that was a kinda fun on PS3, but it was way more fun actually playing together in demon souls.

Frank

You guys were similar in level when trying to do this?

Made it work with: similar levels, sign down somewhere off the beaten path, check every 20-30 seconds or so with the other guy if he's seeing the sign, if not sign down again.

Rinse, repeat, in a short while the sign would get through and we'd be playing together.

[edit] This was on PS3, didn't check playing with a buddy in the PC port yet. And we were rather close geographically.

Grief.exe

Hungoveronatues and I met up for some co-op the other night.

What ended up working for us is we both put down the soap stone, his would show up in my world, then I would cancel mine and summon him.

If anyone wants to coop I'll be home in about an hour. Sl56

Zzoram

I'm unable to farm large titanite shards from the leeches in blight town,wth?they don't drop anything

Their drop rate is low. Wear the ring that boosts drop rate. Also, a high humanity count boosts drop rate. Drop rate is determined by your item discovery stat in the stat page.

Top Bottom