• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

NBtoaster

I beat the final DLC boss..sortof. I died and the npc phantom got the last hit, and I got his soul.

Did I miss any scene or anything?

edit: looked it up, the npc gives you a lot of humanity :\

Vaporak

Damn, I think I overleveled. >.>
Trying to co-op in the DLC area and not seeing any summon signs on the ground nor getting summoned. I didn't really intend to overlevel, I didn't really grind much at all nor did I co-op very much, still ended up SL81 after getting through the second DLC zone.

Zzoram

Trying to co-op in the DLC area and not seeing any summon signs on the ground nor getting summoned. I didn't really intend to overlevel, I didn't really grind much at all nor did I co-op very much, still ended up SL81 after getting through the second DLC zone.

People tend to beat the game around SL80

Zeliard

Your level ranges should be about 59 - 103.

I never level much so I dunno.

Raxus

How far are you in the game?

I am almost finished with the main content. I just need to kill
Seath and Nito
. I have been sluggish but I have been trying to finish all the covenants to get all the specialty weapons. Not to mention farming materials for the weapon upgrades achievements.

Prodigal

Banned
Anyone wanna help me kill the 2 boss dudes in the Anor Londo church? My friend and I tried and failed and now we can't summon each other. :(

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I am almost finished with the main content. I just need to kill
Seath and Nito
. I have been sluggish but I have been trying to finish all the covenants to get all the specialty weapons. Not to mention farming materials for the weapon upgrades achievements.

Dang, yeah that doesn't sound so bad. I'm in Anor Londo fighting biggie smalls at 40. Highest SL I've been here before, but I beat so much terrible stuff on the first try, I don't want to reroll already. I think I need to go back and get the eagle shield though, the heater is really not helping out with my low stamina and endurance.

Fuck you Blighttown!
totally skipped right to the swamp this playthrough.

Razek

Banned
Not gonna lie, anytime someone mentions in this thread or in game 'Lando' I immediately think of star wars. Finally reaching the location, didn't help much.

Sullichin

Not gonna lie, anytime someone mentions in this thread or in game 'Lando' I immediately think of star wars. Finally reaching the location, didn't help much.

It's Londo :)

Ugh online is just broken for me. I can't get invaded in dark londo, can't find games in battle of stoicism, get summoned very rarely, and constantly get summoning failed. :|

I'm having a hell of a time (DLC) beating
Kalameet. I already got his tail though.

Anyone wanna help me kill the 2 boss dudes in the Anor Londo church? My friend and I tried and failed and now we can't summon each other. :(
What SL?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
If I start taking a Balder Side Sword to +15 where should my DEX be at for it to see true benefit? I don't plan on levelling much in NG so I'm considering taking it down an elemental path.

Drop rates for those seem pretty reasonable. With the Serpent Ring and 3 or so Humanity (I had ~350 item discovery), I snagged two BSS within only 4 or 5 encounters at Sen's.

BSS has A scaling so it should continue to gain in power up to 40 Dex before diminishing returns kick in with a vengeance. I think somewhere around 30 Dex or so it should be better than a Lightning +5, but the non-scaling upgrade nerf has kind of thrown a wrench in the gears of my ability to estimate that sort of thing. It might actually be better even at 20-odd Dex now.

I need to fiddle with the rescaled weapons a bit, but I'm starting to have my doubts that the non-scaling paths are all that great for anything other than low-level runs and hardcore Vitality builds. That sort of brings things in line with Demon's Souls, where the Dragon upgrade path was the same concept and was pretty much a totally marginalized path for anything but total HP-before-all builds.

I already preferred Chaos for non-scaling upgrades before the nerf, but after it I'm leaning towards it even more. You need to be comfortable with always walking around with 10 Humanity, but it's feeling like the only non-scaling path that still has damage that cuts the mustard, at least by my standards.

Speaking of, they seem to have made it vastly harder to do a suicide dive for the Chaos ember. I've pulled that trick off a dozen times before, but all of a sudden I can't pull it off for schmotz. I think they intend for you to come back for it after
beating the Centipede Demon and getting the Orange Charred Ring.
Aggravating.

Sullichin

BSS has A scaling so it should continue to gain in power up to 40 Dex before diminishing returns kick in with a vengeance. I think somewhere around 30 Dex or so it should be better than a Lightning +5, but the non-scaling upgrade nerf has kind of thrown a wrench in the gears of my ability to estimate that sort of thing. It might actually be better even at 20-odd Dex now.

I need to fiddle with the rescaled weapons a bit, but I'm starting to have my doubts that the non-scaling paths are all that great for anything other than low-level runs and hardcore Vitality builds. That sort of brings things in line with Demon's Souls, where the Dragon upgrade path was the same concept and was pretty much a totally marginalized path for anything but total HP-before-all builds.

I already preferred Chaos for non-scaling upgrades before the nerf, but after it I'm leaning towards it even more. You need to be comfortable with always walking around with 10 Humanity, but it's feeling like the only non-scaling path that still has damage that cuts the mustard, at least by my standards.

Speaking of, they seem to have made it vastly harder to do a suicide dive for the Chaos ember. I've pulled that trick off a dozen times before, but all of a sudden I can't pull it off for schmotz. I think they intend for you to come back for it after
Aggravating.

Yup lava does even more damage now. SL1 runs just got harder with the elemental nerfs.

ixix

Yup lava does even more damage now. SL1 runs just got harder with the elemental nerfs.

That explains it.

Wonder if it's still possible to nab it as SL1 immediately after
Ceaseless Discharge
using some combination of flame resistant armor/rings.

Going all the way down to get the Large Flame Ember for an early power boost should still be possible, though it'd probably be an exercise in masochism.

Dang, yeah that doesn't sound so bad. I'm in Anor Londo fighting biggie smalls at 40. Highest SL I've been here before, but I beat so much terrible stuff on the first try, I don't want to reroll already. I think I need to go back and get the eagle shield though, the heater is really not helping out with my low stamina and endurance.

totally skipped right to the swamp this playthrough.
Is there anything that is needed in Blight town? I have already killed Havel to get his ring and open my way there, oh wait a bell is down their right? Shit :(

Grief.exe

Do you still need help? I'm avalble.

Kiss The Blade on XBL (lol, made that name on the original xbox all those years ago).

sl 58

Question for anyone who has finished the DLC:

I beat Manus and afterwards I see Dusk of Oolacile laying nearby so I talk to her and she does nothing but make noises. I warped back to Oolacile Sanctuary, talk to the big mushroom and I'm thanked. I go back to the Chasm and she is no longer laying there. Is that it? I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything regarding that. Is there any way I can talk to her and can she still be summoned by the Hydra lake?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Farmed about 3 Balder Side Swords, a Balder Shield and a entire set of that armor in about 20 minutes, top of Sen's. Next 20 minutes was spent farming for Souls to purchase and upgrade both to +10.

Then me and Tarkus, after killing a invader, dropped Iron Golem like a wet blanket. Now it's onto the bottom of Sen's... :(

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Is there anything that is needed in Blight town? I have already killed Havel to get his ring and open my way there, oh wait a bell is down their right? Shit :(

Yeah, you can come in through Valley of Drakes if you have the master key. You come in through what is normally the water-wheel exit...swamp bonfire is right below. I kinda want to go back for the eagle shield now, though...it's at the top of Blighttown right after the first bonfire

2AdEPT

I'm SL60, I have my summon sign down by the inside bonfire. Not that I'm having any luck getting summoned.

Its so weird...i can't get a summon for half an hour either me in another world nor anyone else in mine ..they all fail...but late at night last night I found one guy that seemed like our worlds were compatible and our summon rate for each other was 100%...one of the two us died like 4 times in painted world with skellies etc, and yet we were able to hook back up right away....other signs were around but all failed....what would make one guy more compatible than the next?

Ridley327

Huzzah, the second bell has been rung!

Much like the Gaping Dragon, Quelaag looked a lot meaner than she actually was. Granted, I summoned Maneater Mildred to give me a hand, but I probably would have been able to take her on my own. Managing the lava blobs is the key to the fight; stay out of their way and stay on Quelaag's rear and she'll be dead in no time.

...that's not meant to be a rape joke, honest!

Aggravating.

oh really? I grabbed it last night with no difficulties (apart from dying obv.) although I was at vit15 with fap ring and the water veil pyromancy. made a chaos bastard sword which is OK, torn on keeping with it or chaosifying a pole arm of some kind. it does nice damage though and is faster than claymore.

Has the Forest Covenant glitch been fixed? Anyone?

It's my favourite Covenant, yet I don't want to rejoin it again and again if it hasn't been fixed.

Igo

Is there any way to join the forest hunter covenant after initially saying no? The cat just continually tells me to fuck off. Can Oswald fix this?

FtHTiny

Is there any way to join the forest hunter covenant after initially saying no? The cat just continually tells me to fuck off. Can Oswald fix this?

yes oswald should normally fix this for you.

is it just me or is the Crown of Dusk a mighty piece of armor? (im guessing it boosts sorcery, miracles and pyromancy?!)

It´s super strong but you take more magic dmg aswell, but if you do spells often this head armor is almost a must.

Grief.exe

Four Kings seems like kinda bs fight, there are a few attacks that essentially cannot miss.

I just had an unlucky run where he projectiled, grabbed, purple explosion, then grabbed...all of these are essentially impossible to dodge..

I'm done for the night.

Four Kings seems like kinda bs fight, there are a few attacks that essentially cannot miss.

I just had an unlucky run where he projectiled, grabbed, purple explosion, then grabbed...all of these are essentially impossible to dodge..

I'm done for the night.

they are all dodgeable. i'm not going to say that it's easy though. Usually with the projectiles I take a magic-resisting shield and just block them rather than waste time running.

FtHTiny

I'm done for the night.

Everything is dodgeable but the purple pojectile has to be outruned or something which takes to much time to be really effective.

derwalde

it's only spells isn't it? Also doesn't boost the magic weapon buffs

from darksoulswiki.wikispaces: "The Crown of Dusk boosts Sorceries, Miracles and Pyromancies power by 20% (stacks with Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring / Ring of the Sun's Firstborn). However it also reduces the wearer's Magic defense by 30%."

?!

2AdEPT

from darksoulswiki.wikispaces: "The Crown of Dusk boosts Sorceries, Miracles and Pyromancies power by 20% (stacks with Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring / Ring of the Sun's Firstborn). However it also reduces the wearer's Magic defense by 30%."

?!

I never take it off......yet never knew the damage yourself bit....usually wear a tonne of magic protect anyway (antiquated skirt +5) and thankfully not too many PVE things shoot magic at you...interestingly I always had more problems on butterfly than I thought I should, always get one shotted by the AOE of queelag and Stray demon, and in general ....lose to magic users in PVP! Mind blown!

I always thought my Jedi hood would look more cool than the tiara...maybe now I can do it with good conscience!

Ledsen

So I want to read about and discuss this game... but I don't want to know about anything I don't already know :( This is torture!

ixix

oh really? I grabbed it last night with no difficulties (apart from dying obv.) although I was at vit15 with fap ring and the water veil pyromancy. made a chaos bastard sword which is OK, torn on keeping with it or chaosifying a pole arm of some kind. it does nice damage though and is faster than claymore.

So Flash Sweat does the trick then, eh? Good to know. I tried three times but always died before I could even stand up from the roll, then sulked off in a huff because it's such a long walk from the bonfire to the roll of burning doom.

Those grapes that ember was probably sour anyway.

Top Bottom