• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

So Flash Sweat does the trick then, eh? Good to know. I tried three times but always died before I could even stand up from the roll, then sulked off in a huff because it's such a long walk from the bonfire to the roll of burning doom.

Those grapes that ember was probably sour anyway.

if life gives you sour embers, make.. emberade?

yeah pretty sure it helps, and i just run to be honest, no recovery time then to worry about.

Truant

Gave up on the endless armor search, and just spent a bunch of souls and mats upgradring my elite armor set.

I have 40 endurance and Havel's Ring, but I'm still on medium roll. What gives?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gave up on the endless armor search, and just spent a bunch of souls and mats upgradring my elite armor set.

I think fast roll is 1/4 equip load, you above that?

mxgt

Banned
Forgot how crazy a good weapon (In my case Claymore+15), Power Within and Crystal Magic Weapon all together is.

I killed
Seath
in 4 two handed hits.

Ledsen

There is the thread for that

And he happens to be the creator of that very thread.

Indeed, sadly it's not really a discussion thread, it's for specific questions. I glance at this thread every so often but I always regret it since people are talking so freely about gameplay elements, weapons, bosses, levels etc. I just want to talk at length about the stuff I've done so far without getting spoiled on the rest, and I can't do it with my one friend who plays because he's a Dark Souls veteran :( Argh.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

To have non clunky roll, your equip load needs to be less than half your maximum. So say with Havel Ring on your max is 80, your equip load must be 40 or less. Cant remember if theres one for a quarter load.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh I just read posts from people who think that indictments are used for reporting cheating and hacking players and that they've been using the book of the guilty to report users for it through GFWL. That is not what indictments/book of the guilty are for.

Zzoram

Ugh I just read posts from people who think that indictments are used for reporting cheating and hacking players and that they've been using the book of the guilty to report users for it through GFWL. That is not what indictments/book of the guilty are for.

Not that MSFT will do anything about cheaters, but the Indictments will at least make it so we can all look at the Book and see who the cheaters are.

Have they buffed the NPC summons, I could have sworn they were never this strong on PS3.

Early-ish to mid boss spoilers:
The witch summoned outside Moonlight Butterly solo'd it minus me hitting it once and Soltaire killed Ornstein before I had chance to get Smough to 25% :-/

Zzoram

Four Kings seems like kinda bs fight, there are a few attacks that essentially cannot miss.

I just had an unlucky run where he projectiled, grabbed, purple explosion, then grabbed...all of these are essentially impossible to dodge..

I'm done for the night.

There is a time expiration on the homing magic attack, I've seen people outrun it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Not that MSFT will do anything about cheaters, but the Indictments will at least make it so we can all look at the Book and see who the cheaters are.
But the book of the guilty isn't meant to show cheaters, it's meant to show who has collected the most indictments in the Darkwraith covenant. The highest ranked Darkwraiths in the book are then easily invaded by Darkmoon covenant invaders as a game mechanic. On consoles indictments were something to compete for and be proud of for Darkwraith members since it acted like a scoreboard.

True, since you can view the stats of the top ranking Darkwraiths it's easy to tell who is cheating, but there are still legit Darkwraith players who collect indictments for their intended purpose with quite a few that have legit stats in the top 10-20. This screws them over if people misunderstand the book of the guilty as a cheater/hacker listing and think that they should just submit as many cheating reports to GFWL as they can on anyone in the top 10 or 20 in the book.

Antagon

You dont have bomb or something like that?

I got a couple I think, probably not enough to get through.

Guess I'll go kindle the bonfire a couple more times (not sure what the max is right now) and see if I can get to the next bonfire by just healing regularly.

Zzoram

But the book of the guilty isn't meant to show cheaters, it's meant to show who has collected the most indictments in the Darkwraith covenant. The highest ranked Darkwraiths in the book are then easily invaded by Darkmoon covenant invaders as a game mechanic. On consoles indictments were something to compete for and be proud of for Darkwraith members since it acted like a scoreboard.

True, since you can view the stats of the top ranking Darkwraiths it's easy to tell who is cheating, but there are still legit Darkwraith players who collect indictments for their intended purpose with quite a few that have legit stats in the top 10-20. This screws them over if people misunderstand the book of the guilty as a cheater/hacker listing and think that they should just submit as many cheating reports to GFWL as they can on anyone in the top 10 or 20 in the book.

Ya that sucks but I still don't think MSFT will do anything about the cheater reports.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Have they buffed the NPC summons, I could have sworn they were never this strong on PS3.

Early-ish to mid boss spoilers:
The witch summoned outside Moonlight Butterly solo'd it minus me hitting it once and Soltaire killed Ornstein before I had chance to get Smough to 25% :-/

I'm pretty certain they haven't been changed.

Beatrice has always been able to solo the butterfly without much trouble, though she does occasionally wig out a bit and ends up taking her sweet time. I've never seen her lose, though.

The stars kind of aligned for you with Solaire there, but I've seen it happen before. His attacks actually do a lot of damage, and sometimes he gets lucky and doesn't get hit with many hits that can stagger him and he ends up berserker-ing one of them to death. I've never seen him successfully solo the second phase of the fight, though.

I did an experiment a while back where I tried to get all the AI phantoms to solo their respective bosses by doing nothing but run around with my shield up. The only ones I was never able to manipulate into winning were Solaire in the second phase of the O&S fight and Beatrice at the Four Kings. Every other phantom can solo their boss if you can pull aggro for them on occasion.

I'm pretty sure the AI phantom in the new content can't solo the boss, but I've never really tried.

Zzoram

I got a couple I think, probably not enough to get through.

Guess I'll go kindle the bonfire a couple more times (not sure what the max is right now) and see if I can get to the next bonfire by just healing regularly.

Whenever you get stuck like this, it forces you to really, really learn the enemy patterns and be really cautious.

SO many people have been tricked into getting the Tiny Bearer's Ring. Why the heck hasn't From fixed the gift description on this yet? They've had 5 patches and a DLC to do it.

KAOz

Short bus special
The best phantom will always be iron tarkus, he even wins in ng+++ most of the time. That guy is a beast.

Tarkus is God-tier.
Seriously.
Dude just flails away and crushes everything in his path.

Imagine if you would have to fight him. First ever, 100% unbeatable boss in the Souls series.

I'm pretty certain they haven't been changed.

Beatrice has always been able to solo the butterfly without much trouble, though she does occasionally wig out a bit and ends up taking her sweet time. I've never seen her lose, though.

The stars kind of aligned for you with Solaire there, but I've seen it happen before. His attacks actually do a lot of damage, and sometimes he gets lucky and doesn't get hit with many hits that can stagger him and he ends up berserker-ing one of them to death. I've never seen him successfully solo the second phase of the fight, though.

I did an experiment a while back where I tried to get all the AI phantoms to solo their respective bosses by doing nothing but run around with my shield up. The only ones I was never able to manipulate into winning were Solaire in the second phase of the O&S fight and Beatrice at the Four Kings. Every other phantom can solo their boss if you can pull aggro for them on occasion.

I'm pretty sure the AI phantom in the new content can't solo the boss, but I've never really tried.

Yeah Solaire got destroyed by Smough's lightning ass attack in phase 2 but he did enough damage to make it easy. Was a bit of a bugger 'cos I was after Ornstein's armour on this run

Never tried the NPC for Four Kings, will have to give that a go.

Sid

I spent a hell of a lot longer than 2 hours on it.

I spent at least 2 hours alone trying to get the tail off one of the bosses, lol. :(
The 'dark souls' time then,varies for everyone massively...alright i'll wait till i get to the new areas then

Sarcasm

Whenever you get stuck like this, it forces you to really, really learn the enemy patterns and be really cautious.

SO many people have been tricked into getting the Tiny Bearer's Ring. Why the heck hasn't From fixed the gift description on this yet? They've had 5 patches and a DLC to do it.

Care to explain?

Anteater

Yeah I picked the regen ring too, I didn't really pay attention to it and thought I was just doing something wrong for a while until I read up about it
KuGsj.gif

Haunted

Crazy that they haven't fixed the ring description yet. Or fixed the descriptions of the characters, the hilarious and weird Engrish don't really fit with the rest they're trying to do.

New enemies: 9
New bosses: 4
wait, 9?

scarecrows
big stone knights
the black/white glowing guys in the abyss
township guys melee
township guys wizard

I count 5, who am I missing?

edit: forgot the
dog enemies in the creek.

Hypron

wait, 9?

scarecrows
big stone knights
township guys melee
township guys wizard

You've got several types of
scarecrows
2 types of abyss monsters
, plus the
mini-boss just before the town dungeon bonfire

hmm, wow its getting hard to know where to put my points. Killed the first black knight last night, and it dropped a sword - I didnt wanna get the drake sword as I thought it would be kinda cheating but that black knight sword does even more damage.

can that thing be fully upgraded to +15 or lightning or whatever like base weapons?

Also can I easily repair all my weapons, magic/upgraded make any difference? and is it linear damage reduction or just "breaks at 0"

Haunted

You've got several types of
scarecrows
2 types of abyss monsters
, plus the
mini-boss just before the town dungeon bonfire
Never noticed a difference about the scarecrows, and are the abyss monsters not the same just sized differently? :p and hey, if we count the mini boss as a boss and not a regular enemy, we're back at almost par with 6 to 5. :p

It wasn't intended as a dig anyway, I like the new stuff and that they've added lots of bosses into a pretty condensed area.

Crazy that they haven't fixed the ring description yet. Or fixed the descriptions of the characters, the hilarious and weird Engrish don't really fit with the rest they're trying to do.

wait, 9?

scarecrows
big stone knights
township guys melee
township guys wizard

Also there's the chained up dude at the entrance to the prison. Also he may be counting the two forms of scarecrows (scissors and pitchfork?).

Edit: I guess I was a little late.

Hypron

hmm, wow its getting hard to know where to put my points. Killed the first black knight last night, and it dropped a sword - I didnt wanna get the drake sword as I thought it would be kinda cheating but that black knight sword does even more damage.

can that thing be fully upgraded to +15 or lightning or whatever like base weapons?

Also can I easily repair all my weapons, magic/upgraded make any difference? and is it linear damage reduction or just "breaks at 0"

It's a rare weapon so you need twinkling titanites to upgrade it and it only goes up to +5. It's still pretty strong though.

You can repair any kind of weapon apart from crystal ones very easily, the type doesn't matter. It's not a linear damage reduction, you've got 3 states: working state, a weakened one when its durability becomes very low and a broken state at 0 (well it's not broken but it's not going to do any significant damage anymore).

NBtoaster

wait, 9?

I forgot that too :p

2 types of scarecrows (pitchfork+scissors)
Stone Giant
Dogs
2 types of townsfolk
Weird pointy miniboss
3 types of humanity creature (third bigger type is found next to the secret)

Haunted

I think you need fairly rare materials for the Black Knight Sword compared to regular shards. Basically, the more powerful the base weapon, the rarer the materials on the upgrade paths.

You can easily repair any weapon with only a couple souls.

Not sure about the damage reduction, but it's so cheap in the larger scheme of things I always repair everything anyway.

so can you just stumble upon the new DLC stuff? this is my first playthrough, and I would imagine the DLC area is not for low level inexperienced players?

Top Bottom