• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

FtHTiny

does anyone know how to change the language of the game?

I think in the new durante mod is an option to set it to english.
If you want another language you must set your region in windows because gfwl sets it automaticaly after searching for you region.

You can complete the game in an hour so it's not surprising to have people doing the DLC in two. First time around it took about eight hours for me, then when I ran through the entire thing again (minus bosses) it took nowhere near as long.

Yeah I noticed that when I wasn't getting and health back and looked at the item description. The starting screen lied to me :(

Funny that they felt the need to change the awkward but endearing "You Defeated" message after defeating bosses but never took the time to fix that description, which has been fooling people since the game launched.

Finalow

I think in the new durante mod is an option to set it to english.
If you want another language you must set your region in windows because gfwl sets it automaticaly after searching for you region.
ok, thanks.

at the start of the The Duke's Archives
is there supposed to be a crystal golem even if I didn't rescue Dusk of Oolacile? 'cause I killed one and he didn't drop the broken pendant since I didn't rescue her yet.

Shinjica

ok, thanks.

at the start of the The Duke's Archives
is there supposed to be a crystal golem even if I didn't rescue Dusk of Oolacile? 'cause I killed one and he didn't drop the broken pendant since I didn't rescue her yet.

yeah but if you dont rescue her first he dont drop anything.

Ridley327

Since I forgot to ask about it last night, defeating Quelaag obviously points out the place where you're needed, but are there any benefits right now to going through either the
Great Hollow or the Demon Ruins
?

Corto

Does anyone else has difficulties making the fall attack? It's so unreliable for me. Sometimes it registers others don't. I've already had 2-3 occasions when a fall attack would be the final blow against some strong enemy and I fail and get killed...

God guys, Dark Souls has sucked up my life. When Im not playing it, Im reading about it on GAF, if Im not reading about it Im thinking about what I need to do with stats and Items. Its only a short while till I am dreaming about it.... deary me...

UrbanRats

Since I forgot to ask about it last night, defeating Quelaag obviously points out the place where you're needed, but are there any benefits right now to going through either the
?

There is something good in
Demon Ruins
, don't know if you want me to spoil it for you.

kodt

Banned
?

The Great Hollow is worth it now IMO, just because it takes so long to get back there, but not Demon Ruins.

Zeliard

data2012-08-2906-00-4hbjho.png

data2012-08-2906-00-4jrlq2.png

wuahaha, another victim

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
1. Is it possible to copy/backup my saves?
2. If so, where do I find them?

Revoh

God guys, Dark Souls has sucked up my life. When Im not playing it, Im reading about it on GAF, if Im not reading about it Im thinking about what I need to do with stats and Items. Its only a short while till I am dreaming about it.... deary me...

I know that feel bro. I can't concentrate at work, I want to go home and play Dark Souls.

I have a very noobish question. Are magic/spells required to finish the game? I haven't really looked about them, I'm playing a SL40 Warrior and just beat the wolf in the forest, also finished the catacombs just with a sword and shield.
Places to go now are tomb of giants and londo ruins if I recall correctly.
Don't know how far into the game I am atm.

1. Is it possible to copy/backup my saves?
2. If so, where do I find them?

Yeah, just copy the folder called NGBI (or something similar, don't know exactly the name) in your Documents.

Ridley327

The Great Hollow is worth it now IMO, just because it takes so long to get back there, but not Demon Ruins.

I did a little bit of snooping around in there, but that might push me over to explore more. Is it just the one bonfire at the top, then?

FtHTiny

I know that feel bro. I can't concentrate at work, I want to go home and play Dark Souls.

I have a very noobish question. Are magic/spells required to finish the game? I.

You don´t need any spells to finish the game. You wouldn´t even need a shield. Just use what you like best.

I have a very noobish question. Are magic/spells required to finish the game? I haven't really looked about them, I'm playing a SL40 Warrior and just beat the wolf in the forest, also finished the catacombs just with a sword and shield.

Yeah, just copy the folder called NGBI (or something similar, don't know exactly the name) in your Documents.

As far as magic is concerned - you can do tomb of the giants with an item but it takes up an item slot (left hand or hat?) But a spell will make it much easier so while not necessary (at least in that case) magic will help a lot. I went with pyromancy on my PS3 build (a bit like cheating) and used some miracles for heals, but overall i don't think magic was ever an absolute imperative. I actually did TotG blind the first time (had no idea about the items or spells).

On another note - i was away for a few days and decided to reroll as strength and dex as my PC build. God these Durante fixes are incredible! With the DoF fix and a high internal res this is one of the most beautiful games i have ever played. Will have to play around with AA tonight. This went from a very questionable buy to a must have thatnks to one person! What a great experience. My love for Souls is renewed and i will no doubt find myself consummed once again.

Mupod

I have a very noobish question. Are magic/spells required to finish the game?

Of course you don't need them, but they sure help. At least grab some Pyromancy, since you don't need stats for it like miracles and sorcery. If you don't upgrade the flame then Power Within is actually *better* (drains less hp) and it compliments a melee build well. Iron Flesh is pretty nerfed but still works.

My first character was a pure brute force high str/end character and I did just fine until tomb of giants where I had a lot of trouble with the darkness and final group of caster enemies. My second character is a jack of all trades type with high DEX/faith and enough int to cast utility sorceries. Let me tell you, Cast Light makes most of TOTG a joke and ranged spells like sunbro lightning handle the rest.

Zaventem

People have finished this game at Soul Level 1 runs.No form of magic is required to finish the game.I will say magic hits like a truck and harder than any melee attack but the cast times for them even at their fastest are slow, so it's a good trade off.

hmm, may have to put points into int for the light spell

is the crystal magic weapon worth it? perhaps I can use on my black knight sword...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've been reading on the covenants and multiplayer in this game is insane. I really should take my time to learn about each covenant and what they offer, but I really don't care about it.

I just want to play the game.. :D

Serra

Funny that they felt the need to change the awkward but endearing "You Defeated" message after defeating bosses but never took the time to fix that description, which has been fooling people since the game launched.

I really really like You Defeated versus Victory Achieved

Ridley327

If you make it all the way to the bottom
there is another one and a new area

Neato; I just need to make sure that the googly-eyed dudes don't find a way to gang up on me. My curse resistance is higher now, but they definitely travel more in groups down in the Hollow than they did in the depths.

FtHTiny

oh, how do I know if its "normal"? I havent played the game enough to even upgrade a weapon - still looking for the blacksmith in undead burg !

well i think you really can tell it after you meet a smith to see how it´s upgraded.
If you need some rare material like twinkling titanite it´s a rare weapon that can´t be buffed. Also elemental weapons can´t be buffed. Only weapons you upgrade with normal titanite can be buffed with spells.

Finalow

yeah but if you dont rescue her first he dont drop anything.
so now that I killed it I can't get the broken pendant anymore and I have to wait until ng+? It's pretty bullshit if I'm right.

btw I think I "turned off" online mode or something. I'm at Duke's Archives last bonfire and in 15 mins didn't see a single sign or didn't get invaded a single time. yes I'm human. or I'm my level is too low but I doubt it (it's 50) or, like I said, I "turned off" online mode. yesterday a message said "fps is too low so you're going back at the main screen and offline", I was after the boss of Anor Londo and I didn't play the game again until today.

Sullichin

so now that I killed it I can't get the broken pendant anymore and I have to wait until ng+? It's pretty bullshit if I'm right.

btw I think I "turned off" online mode or something. I'm at Duke's Archives last bonfire and in 15 mins didn't see a single sign or didn't get invaded a single time. yes I'm human. or I'm my level is too low but I doubt it (it's 50) or, like I said, I "turned off" online mode. yesterday a message said "fps is too low so you're going back at the main screen and offline", I was after the boss of Anor Londo and I didn't play the game again until today.

It should put you back online when you log back in, but the online just doesn't seem to work well.

And you can still get the broken pendant. The golem re-appears.

Razek

Banned
Something about this game keeps bringing me back. Today is the day I finally buckle down, make the correct build, and get far enough I want to beat this sucker.

Revoh

You don´t need any spells to finish the game. You wouldn´t even need a shield. Just use what you like best.
Cool, I love this game even more after reading this.

As far as magic is concerned - you can do tomb of the giants with an item but it takes up an item slot (left hand or hat?) But a spell will make it much easier so while not necessary (at least in that case) magic will help a lot. I went with pyromancy on my PS3 build (a bit like cheating) and used some miracles for heals, but overall i don't think magic was ever an absolute imperative. I actually did TotG blind the first time (had no idea about the items or spells).
I actually did a little bit of the tomb with a lantern, but decided to go back and try again later after getting more DPS and better gear.

Of course you don't need them, but they sure help. At least grab some Pyromancy, since you don't need stats for it like miracles and sorcery. If you don't upgrade the flame then Power Within is actually *better* (drains less hp) and it compliments a melee build well. Iron Flesh is pretty nerfed but still works.

Will do, thanks.

People have finished this game at Soul Level 1 runs.No form of magic is required to finish the game.I will say magic hits like a truck and harder than any melee attack but the cast times for them even at their fastest are slow, so it's a good trade off.
What? When I finish the game I'll look those runs for sure haha.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Neato; I just need to make sure that the googly-eyed dudes don't find a way to gang up on me. My curse resistance is higher now, but they definitely travel more in groups down in the Hollow than they did in the depths.
The key is to kill them ASAP. If you just keep hacking away or keep your distance enough (quick soul arrows or crossbow bolts) you can dispatch them pretty easily, but if you hesitate or get caught off-guard....

I wish I could play the game more, I get too scared. :(

Enemy aggro scares me. Is there no leash range for them? If they spot me, they'll chase me endlessly? It really makes me tense because MAYBE I passed by an enemy without noticing then they'll jump at my back some time later.

edit: That pic by Spanish Wrath does NOT help. :(

Sullichin

Enemy aggro scares me. Is there no leash range for them? If they spot me, they'll chase me endlessly?

Not endlessly. They will give up for a while and start backpedaling into their zone. It's very possible (but often difficult) to run past enemies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

Enemy aggro scares me. Is there no leash range for them? If they spot me, they'll chase me endlessly?

edit: That pic by Spanish Wrath does NOT help. :(
Hahaha...no. If an enemy spots you and they are physically able, they will chase you through the entire zone. You have to run a long way or enter a new area for them to start heading back. You can run past some like Sulli mentioned, but it's more trouble than it's worth to do this for all the enemies.

You will eventually be caught.

Top Bottom