• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Vaporak

I apologize if this has been asked already but I'm a bit confused about the effect of the DLC content on the story:

When exactly does Artorias go to the Abyss to meet with the Four Kings (sent by Gwyn right?) if he went to the Abyss and became corrupted by it while trying to defeat Manus? Because of the DLC, it seems he goes to the Abyss on two separate occasions and both occasions result in him being corrupted by the Abyss, unless I'm misunderstanding something. If he went to the Four Kings first, and failed, ultimately joining with them iirc, then it doesn't make sense that he would go to try to destroy Manus. If he went to destroy Manus first and was corrupted by the Abyss, it wouldn't make sense for Gwyn to send him to meet with the Four Kings. Fucking time travel...

Where in the game does it say Artorias fought the 4 kings?

theta11

I apologize if this has been asked already but I'm a bit confused about the effect of the DLC content on the story:

When exactly does Artorias go to the Abyss to meet with the Four Kings (sent by Gwyn right?) if he went to the Abyss and became corrupted by it while trying to defeat Manus? Because of the DLC, it seems he goes to the Abyss on two separate occasions and both occasions result in him being corrupted by the Abyss, unless I'm misunderstanding something. If he went to the Four Kings first, and failed, ultimately joining with them iirc, then it doesn't make sense that he would go to try to destroy Manus. If he went to destroy Manus first and was corrupted by the Abyss, it wouldn't make sense for Gwyn to send him to meet with the Four Kings. Fucking time travel...

He wasn't sent by Gwyn, he seemed like he was an overall good guy so he went to the Abyss (only once) to stop the spread of the Abyss and history says he did and died while doing that. In reality though he did go to the Abyss he was taken over and corrupted and only managed save Sif (which is why Sif guards the Abyss, to stop anyone from going back and getting messed up like his Master). History says that Artorias defeated the Abyss but in reality it was the player character. (Time is convoluted in the Dark Souls world). The incident with the 4 Kings seemed to happen after the DLC and by then he had already been killed which is why the sealers sealed New Londo. (New Londo is actually alot less corrupted by the Abyss than Oolacile.)

Haunted

Thanks for watching :3!

edit: Nevermind. Chat convinced me to keep going ._. Blighttown footage... yay! ..

http://en.twitch.tv/yoshichan
I said hi in the chat earlier today and you ignored me.

I wept a little and left.

Could someone explain what this means?

Thanks.
Someone from the Gravelord covenant made your game (and that of several others) harder by buffing the AI enemies. Someone killed him to dispel that buff.

I wish I'd get gravelorded for once. 100 hrs on 360 and 40 hrs on PC and nothing. :(

Also do you guys also get such a difference in play time between the in-game timer and the Steam one? It's a 15 hours difference for me and I may have left the game running at the menu for like 1-2 hours max.

Gigglepoo

Quick question: Estus flasks sometimes appear in my inventory for seemingly no reason. A golden gleam of light appears above my head and all of a sudden I have more healing potions. I thought it was because I was a member of the Way of White covenant, but I've since joined Forest Hunter and Chaos servant.

Also, I've never written a message so it's not tied to that.

Any ideas?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Quick question: Estus flasks sometimes appear in my inventory for seemingly no reason. A golden gleam of light appears above my head and all of a sudden I have more healing potions. I thought it was because I was a member of the Way of White covenant, but I've since joined Forest Hunter and Chaos servant.

Any ideas?

I believe if someone kindles a bonfire in your area it adds to your flask.

OreoKraickerz

Neo Member
He wasn't sent by Gwyn, he seemed like he was an overall good guy so he went to the Abyss (only once) to stop the spread of the Abyss and history says he did and died while doing that. In reality though he did go to the Abyss he was taken over and corrupted and only managed save Sif (which is why Sif guards the Abyss, to stop anyone from going back and getting messed up like his Master). History says that Artorias defeated the Abyss but in reality it was the player character. (Time is convoluted in the Dark Souls world). The incident with the 4 Kings seemed to happen after the DLC and by then he had already been killed which is why the sealers sealed New Londo. (New Londo is actually alot less corrupted by the Abyss than Oolacile.)

Ah ha! That makes sense. I think my misunderstanding came from something I read on one of the wikis. Thanks!

Truant

Is there anything to the DLC blacksmith? He asked me about some dragon and I said no, and he was all like "Oh, ok" and never talked about it again. He sells crap items and has no dialogue.

Thrakier

I guess I'm done with this game. I finished the first one, but Kapra demon is just too much. I don't believe that this is well thought out challenge and combat. It's just cheap and frustrating. I can't do it, I'm not even close to doing it, I tried it like 20 or 30 times, it doesn't work the way it's shown in the YT videos, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I mostly die within the first 20 seconds, most of the time I can't even kill one of those dogs becase something is always hitting me.

I can't go anywhere else also. I tried that forest where this badly designed water creature is, I tried to go up the ladder next to it but it's killing me there without a chance for me. So I'm basically stuck defeating Kapra and I can't do it. The only function which could help me now, summoning, is completly broken.

I don't want to invest 3 to 5 hours just to defeat one boss. And if I can't even kill this one, worse is coming I guess. It's weird, I'm not a bad gamer per se and I hadn't too much trouble finishing Demon's Souls. I really like the game and the atmosphere. But it's surely not worth that frustration it's giving me. The game would still be very enjoyable if it would be half that cheap.

Reisläufer

Neo Member
Can't find this design in the artbook(s) actually. Couple of other interesting designs though, including some samurai-like warrior.

Found it in the one that came with the Prepare to Die Edition, on page 65 (under "Armors"). Artwork looks great, a pity that he got cut imo.

I plan to out-level that fucker. Is this even possible? ;)

lol actually yes, that's what I did on my first character. he pissed me off so I headed to blighttown and forgot him, then came back with a whole lot of nice armour and a magical sword, plus another 25 levels. he practically dropped the key to the depths in terror as soon as I walked in.

zkylon

zkylewd
I plan to out-level that fucker. Is this even possible? ;)
lol I'm gonna guess not.

Capra Demon is easy, it just has terribly a unforgiving first 10 seconds. It takes a lot of tries until you get it right, but it's possible, you just got to play it with a cool head and persevere.

lol actually yes, that's what I did on my first character. he pissed me off so I headed to blighttown and forgot him, then came back with a whole lot of nice armour and a magical sword, plus another 25 levels. he practically dropped the key to the depths in terror as soon as I walked in.
Not so easy for the Master Key-deprived...

derFeef

Okay good, guess time to farm 20k souls to buy that "seal".
Also I don't know if I would enjoy this game so much if I would not read and talk/write about it, because sometimes I am just stuck and need advice. Some might think it's a bad to do that, but I like it.

Grief.exe

I guess I'm done with this game. I finished the first one, but Kapra demon is just too much. I don't believe that this is well thought out challenge and combat. It's just cheap and frustrating. I can't do it, I'm not even close to doing it, I tried it like 20 or 30 times, it doesn't work the way it's shown in the YT videos, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I mostly die within the first 20 seconds, most of the time I can't even kill one of those dogs becase something is always hitting me.

I already responded to you, on this page even giving advice and offering help.

I've since shot up in level because I want to wield the INT25 sorceries, I believe I'm 34 now so I can only coop with you if you are level 21 or higher, which your probably are.

Online isn't broken, every time I lay my sign down someone summons me, every time I red eye orb I pvp.
The only problem is summoning, it just seems like the system is lagging in that respect. If someone removes their sign or is summoned, their sign still exists in your world and when you summon them it fails.

What helps is laying down your white soap stone, if you don't see anyone or are having trouble connecting then put it down. It forces you to search for new players so you have a chance of finding someone new.

What level are you? I might be able to help. I just finished anor londo but I'm only 25 which means if you are 12-38 I can help.

The trick is to run to the right and roll as soon as he brings his swords down. <25% equip load helps on that one.

This is the best boss walkthrough video series. Its all in Japanese but it shows you what you need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15SgSY6rNcw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It could be you are just bad at games though, always a possibility. Dark Souls might not be for you.

Thrakier

rather than give up you could always start again and get the master key as your starting gift. that means you can skip the capra demon completely.

I just started it. I really don't feel like doing it all over again to use some sort of "cheat" because of one boss.

Last thing I'll try tomorrow is that Wolf ring thing and upgrading my hollow shield. If that works, fine. If not, I'm done with the game.

EDIT:

@Grief

Like I said, I finished Demon's Souls. I might not be the best gamer ever (I got worse with age as well) but if I'm not good enough to finish the game, a lot of other people won't be as well. I'd like a coop partner, but it'll be hard too coordinate because of the way the game is set up. However, add me on Steam and we'll see tomorrow. http://steamcommunity.com/id/sephirio/

Not so easy for the Master Key-deprived...

it's the only starting gift you'll ever need, unless you're particularly desperate to get the demon's great hammer by killing the asylum demon with black firebombs before you pick up your equipment. the rest of the items which are actually useful can easily be obtained before you'll actually need 'em.

Okay good, guess time to farm 20k souls to buy that "seal".
Also I don't know if I would enjoy this game so much if I would not read and talk/write about it, because sometimes I am just stuck and need advice. Some might think it's a bad to do that, but I like it.

personally I've been wavering back and forth on that topic. my first characters I played all the way to anor londo without ever looking at a wiki, but right now I'm trying to make a sl1 darkwraith which is really challenging, so I'm pretty much reading as much min/max advice as I can find.

I just started it. I really don't feel like doing it all over again to use some sort of "cheat" because of one boss.

the master key is not a "cheat", but okay then. it's my opinion that you're missing out, but perhaps the game just isn't for you.

2AdEPT

Uhh, the bosses are really easy if you are co-oping for them. The fact that the bosses don't change behavior when you summon people is also more evidence that the encounters were designed for playing solo and then just had their HP buffed for when you add a phantom. Summoning is there essentially as the easy mode for the game.

Did you play Demon's first? Maybe you area a fast learner? Although I have no agreement with noobs that say "this is too tough and cheap etc." I also don't enjoy hearing, "this is too easy" as it only is easy if you at least in part know how to play your role and the helpers you summones do as well.....I was helping on O&S last night and the poor bastard host STILL died almost simultaneously while me and htis other guy just stood there helpless as the fellow insisted on swinging on all cylinders out of the gate. On a fan board I would assume that most are relatively fast learners or skilled vets.....not so for the vast majority.

Haunted

Is there anything to the DLC blacksmith? He asked me about some dragon and I said no, and he was all like "Oh, ok" and never talked about it again. He sells crap items and has no dialogue.
Yes, you should visit him again after you've encountered said dragon at least once.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
No. There is
more than one
primordial serpent. No one ever says specifically which one.

There's more than one primordial serpent, yes. There's not more than one primordial serpent who's heavily associated with the Dark, the Abyss, and primeval man.

The dialogue subtitles in those segments appear exactly as I've transcribed them, i.e. Dark is rendered as a proper noun. The game uses Dark as a proper noun elsewhere in the game when Kaathe is speaking and in item descriptions pertaining to the Darkwraiths. Marvelous Chester refers only to a "toothy serpent," which is ambiguous, but Chester himself is heavily implied based on Elizabeth's dialogue, the fact that he invades you, and his apparent familiarity with a primordial serpent to be a Darkwraith, which swings the pendulum pretty damn far towards Kaathe in terms of who he's talking about.

Of course, the timeline doesn't fit either. Frampt is asleep until you ring the Bells of Awakening, which has obviously not happened at the time of Oolacile being consumed by the Abyss. We can be rather confident that Kaathe has been active in the world while Frampt's been sleeping based on the fact that the Four Kings fell to the Dark after Gwyn linked the First Flame, whereas there is no evidence whatsoever that Frampt hasn't been napping pretty much since Gwyn linked the flame.

You can believe that Frampt is the true orchestrator of the whole Manus-awakening debacle if you really want -- seeing as how nobody ever directly utters Kaathe's name -- but such an interpretation is completely at odds with literally every single piece of evidence that the game presents, in the form of both dialogue and the third-person omniscient narration of item descriptions.

I can't be the only one who could just keep reading those bits of Dark Souls lore until ixix went hollow.

It's gonna make a new playthrough much, much cooler.

Sometimes, when I was spending hours reading through item descriptions and compiling them into lists, I kind of felt like I was going hollow. Then I'd walk up the stairs at Firelink, see the hollow soldiers up there all zombified and chuckin' Firebombs at me, and I'd just be all "Guys, I know that feeling."

They weren't very amenable to my sympathy.

Yeah not having picked the master key bums me out very often. SL 31 now, attached to my character and all, not going to re-do.

after you ring the second bell a vendor who sells one appears in firelink. he's originally in the depths though, so if you don't get the master key at the start you have no choice but to kill signor capra.

Grief.exe

Dark Souls has officially slipped into my top 3 games played on Steam, only behind Bad Company 2 and Dota 2 now.

Ridiculous. So glad they ported this game or else I would have missed out.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's the only starting gift you'll ever need, unless you're particularly desperate to get the demon's great hammer by killing the asylum demon with black firebombs before you pick up your equipment. the rest of the items which are actually useful can easily be obtained before you'll actually need 'em.
I'll pick it for my Paladin character, that's for sure.

Ridley327

::makes way up Sen's Fortress, get to the final pendulum walkway::

"Blahblahblah has invaded!"

::gets to me rather quickly, due to coming from the other side of the walkway::

"No clothes and and wields a club; must be a poison guy."

::invader is poisonous, poisons me right away::

"Man, this guy should have invested in some clothes ah shit, he got me with a Dung Bomb."

::is now poisoned and intoxicated, outlook looking grim::

"Well, I'm not going to let him have this one."

::defeats invader, uses Blooming Purple Blossom with less than 50 HP left::

"Man, that was a close one; now, to get to that bonfire."

::gets smacked by the last pendulum, cast off into the abyss::

"It fucking figures."

Dark Souls, ladies and gentlemen.

Gvaz

Banned

Any ideas?

If someone upvotes your message, your flasks get replenished by 1. GET FUCKING VOTING

derFeef

Guess what. Third try.

038044249DFD3F195517F34739133D3E6C9D72B3

I felt really bad killing Sif :'(

It was a pretty similar feeling to when you killed a collosus in SOTC, such magnificent beast, falling to an outsider.

When he started to limp at the end made me feel so fucking awful, I really tried to kill him as fast as possible, I'm a monster :( :(

Ridley327

I felt really bad killing Sif :'(

It was a pretty similar feeling to when you killed a collosus in SOTC, such magnificent beast, falling to an outsider.

When he started to limp at the end made me feel so fucking awful, I really tried to kill him as fast as possible, I'm a monster :( :(

That fight gets even sadder if you went through the new areas first.

derFeef

Good stuff!

Yeah thanks for the encouragement and hint, did not get knocked down once. Found my path up the stairs in my first two tries but was to hasty with the attacks. I underestimated my armor and stamina, I could take a few hits and attack him after dropping on him twice.

Zeliard

Co-op being so broken is becoming frustrating. I can't even be summoned for
Artorias

Where do you guys place signs down for that fight?

Edit: lol just as I post that I'm summoned. Took long enough

derFeef

Same here! I just beat him on my third try. I guess the Depths is next, right?

Well it was my 15th try or something like that, but my third one after I got the Elite armor and Wolf Ring, helped for sure.

I am afraid of the Depths just by the name of it. Going in fresh and not spoiling myself for it.

Zeliard

Well it was my 15th try or something like that, but my third one after I got the Elite armor and Wolf Ring, helped for sure.

I am afraid of the Depths just by the name of it. Going in fresh and not spoiling myself for it.

You'll enjoy it thoroughly.

zkylon

zkylewd

I got lucky in the Depths and I hear it's been made easier since the console launch, but yeah, there's fun to be had there. And then... Blighttown...

IoCaster

I've been combing through the wiki and holy crap. I basically missed like 1/3 of the content not counting the DLC. Especially in the second half of the game. One blacksmith and at least three vendors. Not to mention a shitload of armor, weapons, upgrade items and accessories. Argh!!

That's totally unacceptable. I can't bear the thought of leaving that much game content on the table and just walking away. I'll be starting up a new game as soon as I close this browser.

Top Bottom