• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Equipped like a wepaon? So I need to change everytime I wann switch between heal and fire?

you can equip 2 items to the left hand, and 2 to the right and then pressing left or right dpad alternates between them on that hand

eg I have shield and talisman on left, sword and catalyst on right

also press up to cycle equipped spell

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
1. It´s possible but it´s not really a normal route you would go. But if you have played it before you will see one obvious addition that is part of the way to get to the dlc.

2. Hard to say because noone had a char on pc but i guess you could. But i wouldn´t take a super highlevel badass char because it could be to easy then.

3. I looked up the way to get there and made it kinda hard for myself. (lowlevel, no rite of kindling and so on)
Thanks very much. In that case, I might make a new character, and make sure I have the Rite of Kindling but no optional bosses killed. That should clear the way, right? Goodness, I can't believe it's almost been a year since DS came out. More excited for this DLC than anything else that's come out in the meantime.

It's been said countless times before, but This Game.

FtHTiny

Thanks very much. In that case, I might make a new character, and make sure I have the Rite of Kindling but no optional bosses killed. That should clear the way, right? Goodness, I can't believe it's almost been a year since DS came out. More excited for this DLC than anything else that's come out in the meantime.

It's been said countless times before, but This Game.

The only thing you need is to place the lordvessel.

Zeliard

Ventured into the DLC recently. Man,
Artorias
is such an awesome fight from a mechanical standpoint but he's still kind of a pushover. Should be quite a treat in NG+ and above though.

I have a feeling the next two bosses will be assholes. I'm playing with a vitality 9 build, Chaos Blade, and the occasional Power Within, so things can get enjoyably dicey.

Jintor

I beat the shit out of that scaleless jerk. I would've killed him on my first try but I didn't realise he could explode half the arena with curse spikes. The dead players everywhere should've been a warning.

J-Rod

I play so scummy against invaders and feel no shame for it. Kicking them on ladders, hiding around corners, sniping them halfway across the zone with poison arrows, etc. I never invade, so the way I feel about it is that I don't come into your house to fuck your dog so stay out of mine. The only people I give an honorable fight are the ones that bow, because they don't backstab me while afk then spam emotes on top of me.

I never died to an invader on ps3, but I am getting my ass kicked left and right on pc. Very first day before I even fought the gargoyles I had someone invade me spamming endless amounts of dlc spells. I was jumping all over like a coked up jack rabbit and got a backstab off that did virtually nothing. Finally got hit with a spell that one shotted me. Couldn't even indict the asshole hacker, because I was miles away from even meeting the npc for the first time.

One time I was summoned and during the animation saw my summoner sprinting away from an invader. I caught up with them to help and they were on a ledge at the top of a ladder. My summoner was almost dead and so I hurled an amazing lucky shot fireball at the phantom and saved his ass. Then the guy banishes me! You're welcome ass.

This game is gud.

Does killing the Sealer never drop the key now, or is it a 'chance to not drop the key?', having fun with my Dark Wraith and invading on my current char, and wouldn't mind doing a lower-level build.

If it's a 'never drop the key', then I'll just progress my normal route, but if it's simply a 'chance to not drop the key', make use of save backups until it does drop.

I play so scummy against invaders and feel no shame for it. Kicking them on ladders, hiding around corners, sniping them halfway across the zone with poison arrows, etc. I never invade, so the way I feel about it is that I don't come into your house to fuck your dog so stay out of mine. The only people I give an honorable fight are the ones that bow, because they don't backstab me while afk then spam emotes on top of me.

For me, it's 'if I'm looking for PvP, I'll do a fair fight - if I'm simply trying to progress, I'll do what I need to to defend my world, even if it means using 'cheap tactics'.

Well, I beat the game. I have no idea what linking the fire accomplished, but it's done. The game had a strange effect on me. I enjoyed the challenge up to a point, but it is so relentlessly grim that the later levels (Catacombs, Crystal Cave, Tomb of the Giants, etc,.) had me gritting my teeth and wanting to be done with it. Let me single out Lost Izalith and Bed of Chaos for really driving me toward the exit with all haste. Good game but it just wore out it's welcome for me.

I took a quick glance at the wiki and boy did I miss a ton of content. Apparently there's a blacksmith in the Catacombs that I never found. I didn't do any of the DLC content and screwed up by giving all of the boss souls to the Lordvessel so I didn't craft any of the weapons. I did accidentally spoil myself on some content but it was mostly minor stuff. The end result was that I flat out played it blind and that was probably for the best.

In any case, I'm glad I played the game, but at this point I don't know if I'll ever try NG+ because I don't have any driving ambition to do it. Maybe after some time has passed I might be drawn back to it. Never say never, I guess. *shrug*

I do think that the later half of the game lacks the same polish as the first half - things feel a little too spread out, and the level design isn't as good. I loved how inter-connected the first half of the game felt, but by the end it's more 'longish linear path with a bonfire to warp home from'.

The Boss Souls that you give to the Lord Vessel are not used for weapon upgrades, so you didn't miss out on any of that crafting - it can still be done.

You really should check out the DLC though, it's some quality content.

ye olde fashioned wired internet cable = super simple solution for me lol

Only time I did that (generally don't), is when I was trying to beat O&S - getting like 20 failed summons in a row, while defending against invaders non-stop.

I'm still baffled to why I can seem to invade/be invaded fine - but can't summon help / be summoned as help for the life of me.

Zeliard

Only time I did that (generally don't), is when I was trying to beat O&S - getting like 20 failed summons in a row, while defending against invaders non-stop.

I'm still baffled to why I can seem to invade/be invaded fine - but can't summon help / be summoned as help for the life of me.

I've been having a lot of bad luck being summoned. Wasn't at all able to be summoned for the first two DLC bosses as well, which is annoying since I'd like to fight them a bunch.

It's just a mess right now.

Sorry but this is your fault. If you go afk you dont have any right to be angry againt the one who invade you legit.

Yup, if I'm human and need to AFK - I'll just quit game for a second, you start right back where you left off when you load again.

Although, 3 of the times I've come across someone AFK - I've given them a friendly poke or two to get their attention, backed off waited for them to heal before fighting. The 4th time - several minutes later, I just killed him.

Zeliard

And almost whenever I am summoned, the host will attempt to summon someone else and it almost never works.

Lots of pointing down and shrugging emotes.

Sullichin

When I invade and happen across someone who is AFK, my favorite thing to do is

- Open the shortcuts in the level if it's possible for the phantom to do (eg: painted world wheel skeletons)
- Throw dung piles at them until they go toxic
- Wait.

It's also one of the only good times to use chameleon. Many players are experienced with the subtle difference in what a chamelon item looks like and aren't fooled.

So, uhm, Capra Demon? Fight lasted 10 seconds. Anyone in here willing to help me with him later on?

Buy an alluring skull and it will distract enough to get to the stairs and kill the dogs. Armor with high poise will allow you to eat a hit from capra without it interrupting your attack animation.

equil

The funniest thing just happened. So im PVP'ing Anor Londo, and i invade this one guy's world. As I'm fighting him im noticing his health not going down, so obviously he's hacking, and hes too bad to be able to kill me because im popping humanities. But i wanted to mess with him so i run over to the giant blacksmith and sit there. He knows what im trying to do so he leaves for about 5 minutes and comes back and thinks he's smart by pulling out his bow to try and shoot me. Well anyway his first arrow misses me and nails the blacksmith and the blacksmith falls over dead. 2 Seconds later "The Master has Disconnected from the Game." I couldn't stop laughing.

web01

The funniest thing just happened. So im PVP'ing Anor Londo, and i invade this one guy's world. As I'm fighting him im noticing his health not going down, so obviously he's hacking, and hes too bad to be able to kill me because im popping humanities. But i wanted to mess with him so i run over to the giant blacksmith and sit there. He knows what im trying to do so he leaves for about 5 minutes and comes back and thinks he's smart by pulling out his bow to try and shoot me. Well anyway his first arrow misses me and nails the blacksmith and the blacksmith falls over dead. 2 Seconds later "The Master has Disconnected from the Game." I couldn't stop laughing.

That is awesome too bad for him it probably saved.

Thrakier

When I invade and happen across someone who is AFK, my favorite thing to do is

- Open the shortcuts in the level if it's possible for the phantom to do (eg: painted world wheel skeletons)
- Throw dung piles at them until they go toxic
- Wait.

It's also one of the only good times to use chameleon. Many players are experienced with the subtle difference in what a chamelon item looks like and aren't fooled.

Buy an alluring skull and it will distract enough to get to the stairs and kill the dogs. Armor with high poise will allow you to eat a hit from capra without it interrupting your attack animation.

I don't have a high pose armor. Need coop partner.

That's classic! Hahahaha sucker, goes to show you, even if you hack, you can still loose.

kodt

Banned
So, uhm, Capra Demon? Fight lasted 10 seconds. Anyone in here willing to help me with him later on?

My general strategy was to avoid his initial attack by rolling. But you don't want to roll straight into the dogs, for me this usually means rolling to the right, and then sprinting up the steps to the left. The dogs should come up the steps first so take care of them. Once they are down it is much easier. Just avoid his attacks and it shouldn't be too bad.

The fight is much easier if you summon help, if one person gets the attention of the boss, and the other takes care of the dogs then it is super easy.

I don't have a high pose armor. Need coop partner.

Take a detour to the Darkroot Garden, and you can get the Wolf ring that will greatly increase poise --- if you a detour towards the
Moonlight Butterfly
you can also find the Elite Knight Armour which has a decent poise/weight ratio.

Best thing to do though is when you run in - don't lock onto anything yet, dash for the stairs - take out the dogs.
Then, lure the Capra up the stairs, jump down before he attacks you - he will then jump down, leaving you with a window of opportunity to kick his ass

non-spoilery tip: don't panic.

Take a detour to the Darkroot Garden, and you can get the Wolf ring that will greatly increase poise --- if you a detour towards the
Moonlight Butterfly
you can also find the Elite Knight Armour which has a decent poise/weight ratio.

Best thing to do though is when you run in - don't lock onto anything yet, dash for the stairs - take out the dogs.
Then, lure the Capra up the stairs, jump down before he attacks you - he will then jump down, leaving you with a window of opportunity to kick his ass

non-spoilery tip: don't panic.

Also estoc + resin = one hit kills on dogs without them dodging (estoc gained below firelink shrine at begin of game)

that ring + hollow shield +5 balder sword + resin = first time kill (prior chars had HUGE trouble killing capra)

Dont know how easy you want me to make this fight for you but...

If you go up the stairs and then stand on the corner, on top of the Arch like structure not the stairs, the Demon will follow you but cant really hit you there, every time he tries, he just falls down to the first floor allowing you to fall on top of him with an attack, rinse and repeat a few times, done.

J-Rod

Sorry but this is your fault. If you go afk you dont have any right to be angry againt the one who invade you legit.

If it didn't take such an unreasonable amount of time to be summoned, then I wouldn't complain. Got up to take a piss after staring at the screen for half an hour and come back to someone dancing over my grave like they accomplished something.

One thing I never do in any game is cord pull. I take it how it comes.

Grief.exe

No is not 10 level, it's 10%. So if you are level 36, your friend need to be at least 33-39.

The client�s level must fall within approximately 10 + 15% (since the 1.05 patch, tested with 78 and 90/88) (above or below) of the host�s level.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Online

it was changed since patch 1.05

What you originally said and what you are quoting are two vastly different things. You know that right?

And the difference between 10 and 15% is speculation on whether the game rounds or not.

To summon its +/- 10 levels + 10% and the game rounds up (or just say 15%).
I'm a first time player but based on reading, what people have indicated, and even what you quoted, this is fact.

Lusankya

If it didn't take such an unreasonable amount of time to be summoned, then I wouldn't complain. Got up to take a piss after staring at the screen for half an hour and come back to someone dancing over my grave like they accomplished something.

One thing I never do in any game is cord pull. I take it how it comes.
Hint: You can only be invaded when you have NOT defeated the boss of the area. So before helping others first defeat the boss in that particular area. ;)

I don't get it. I thought all npcs were fogged out when you invade.

Hint: You can only be invaded when you have NOT defeated the boss of the area. So before helping others first defeat the boss in that particular area. ;)

I must be missing something. How can you help others if you are human? And if hollow, how do you get invaded?

Started a new character last night and am going to keep it lower level so i can help people out. I was human and invaded by a cheater - annoying because i lost 1 humanity in the ordeal but otherwise just annoying. Also got 2 baldur swords and shields in about 10 minutes of farming. Seems like a great weapon and i love that shield (until i can get a black or silver knight shield). Can't for the life of me get them to drop their helmet for some reason.

rybrad

One of the newbie tips I saw was to
roll into breakables instead of attacking them
. I never saw a reason for this as the ones you shouldn't attack were usually pretty obvious. Did I miss something important hidden in one of them somewhere?

Sullichin

One of the newbie tips I saw was to
roll into breakables instead of attacking them
. I never saw a reason for this as the ones you shouldn't attack were usually pretty obvious. Did I miss something important hidden in one of them somewhere?

This is largely because of the
pyromancer NPC who is trapped in a barrel, if you hit it instead of rolling he will aggro. But you can of course see him so it would be stupid to hit him.

Anyone have any tips on successfully recording? FRAPS makes my fps take a shit, and in the resulting videos my character doesn't move (it also cuts off the video after a few seconds). So for all the people recording stuff, what are you using and what settings?

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Love how Sif starts to limp when you knock his health bar down enough. Seeing that was such a morale boost. Stupid giant sword wielding wolf who can still somehow move like a ballerina...

IoCaster

The Boss Souls that you give to the Lord Vessel are not used for weapon upgrades, so you didn't miss out on any of that crafting - it can still be done.

You really should check out the DLC though, it's some quality content.

Nah, I mean Soul of Sif, Soul of Quelaag, etc,. I hadn't gotten around to using any of them yet and when I first placed the Lordvessel I chose to offer it souls without thinking and it took all the boss souls that I had at the time. At least they weren't in my inventory anymore when I checked. Just a dumb mistake and one of the hazards that can trip someone up if they don't know how the game works. Honestly, it was a very disheartening type of screw up.

I also thought I had made it pretty clear that I don't dislike the game, but that it's a "one and done" type of thing. I'm not feeling any interest in playing it again. I've basically seen and done everything I want to in the game for now. This may change with time and I'm not explicitly writing off a possible NG+ at some point. If that happens I'll be sure to read up on how to access the DLC content.

Sullichin

Nah, I mean Soul of Sif, Soul of Quelaag, etc,. I hadn't gotten around to using any of them yet and when I first placed the Lordvessel I chose to offer it souls without thinking and it took all the boss souls that I had at the time. At least they weren't in my inventory anymore when I checked. Just a dumb mistake and one of the hazards that can trip someone up if they don't know how the game works. Honestly, it was a very disheartening type of screw up.

I also thought I had made it pretty clear that I don't dislike the game, but that it's a "one and done" type of thing. I'm not feeling any interest in playing it again. I've basically seen and done everything I want to in the game for now. This may change with time and I'm not explicitly writing off a possible NG+ at some point. If that happens I'll be sure to read up on how to access the DLC content.
Don't worry, you only offer the four lord souls to the lordvessel, it won't take any other ones, so those are still in your inventory. However, the lord souls show up under keys, and the other ones show up under consumables. I wouldn't worry about it unless you cared about making all of the boss weapons. Many of them aren't even very good.

And starting a new game is more fun for me than doing NG+. Definitely check out the DLC content before shelving the game, some of the best bosses are there.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I must be missing something. How can you help others if you are human? And if hollow, how do you get invaded?

Keep your eyes peeled in the Undead Burg and you'll come across an item that will allow you to see and activate summon signs from other players who can be brought into your game to help you. Naturally you can drop your own summon sign as well and be rewarded with humanity and souls for helping others beat a boss.

The flipside of the coin is that restoring your humanity also leaves you vulnerable to invasions, where other players come into your game with the intent of killing you. Certain items as well as being a member of some covenants will allow you to invade other games. But it's a bit of a dickish thing to do and chances are you'll either invade the game of a veteran Souls acolyte who will smear your ass or a game where the host has two summoned players helping them out, leaving you nearly hopelessly outnumbered. But you will have earned that for being a dick. :p
Your pvp experience may vary

Clevinger

I must be missing something. How can you help others if you are human? And if hollow, how do you get invaded

You need a certain item to help other players. If you want the exact location, it's:

In the Undead Burg, right before you go to the bridge where the dragon keeps breathing fire. There's a guy in armor looking out at the view from the ledge. Talk to him and he'll give you the item.

You can only be invaded while in human form, and only if you haven't beaten the area's boss yet.

Top Bottom