• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

IoCaster

Don't worry, you only offer the four lord souls to the lordvessel, it won't take any other ones, so those are still in your inventory. However, the lord souls show up under keys, and the other ones show up under consumables. I wouldn't worry about it unless you cared about making all of the boss weapons. Many of them aren't even very good.

And starting a new game is more fun for me than doing NG+. Definitely check out the DLC content before shelving the game, some of the best bosses are there.

You sure about that? I just loaded a backed up save from before I finished the game and those souls are not in my inventory anywhere. I definitely looked for them some time after I had placed the Lordvessel and before I went back there. I might have glitched out in some fashion, but the end result is still the same. Somehow or other I lost those souls and it was a bit depressing that I seemingly screwed something like that up.

All in all, there's a ton of stuff that I missed, but that's the result of a conscious decision on my part to try and discover things on my own. I've been reading up on stuff in the wiki and I definitely missed most if not all of the important NPC interactions. I failed to find a lot of the secret/hidden areas and quite a few of the upgrade materials. If anything were to spark an interest in replaying the game it would probably be an ambition to track down all of the content that I failed to find the first time through.

joe2187

Banned
Seath is incredibly easy if you aren't trying to cut off his tail. Just hug his right tentacle while attacking and you really shouldn't ever take damage.

I know he is, but I just always miss out on the tail weapons, like Priscilla and Seath

Sullichin

You sure about that? I just loaded a backed up save from before I finished the game and those souls are not in my inventory anywhere. I definitely looked for them some time after I had placed the Lordvessel and before I went back there. I might have glitched out in some fashion, but the end result is still the same. Somehow or other I lost those souls and it was a bit depressing that I seemingly screwed something like that up.

All in all, there's a ton of stuff that I missed, but that's the result of a conscious decision on my part to try and discover things on my own. I've been reading up on stuff in the wiki and I definitely missed most if not all of the important NPC interactions. I failed to find a lot of the secret/hidden areas and quite a few of the upgrade materials. If anything were to spark an interest in replaying the game it would probably be an ambition to track down all of the content that I failed to find the first time through.

Well, wherever they are, there's no way to accidentally give them to the lordvessel. Perhaps you moved them to the bottomless box, and I'd also check the usually empty treasure chest in firelink shrine. but could very well be a bug.

You need a certain item to help other players. If you want the exact location, it's:

In the Undead Burg, right before you go to the bridge where the dragon keeps breathing fire. There's a guy in armor looking out at the view from the ledge. Talk to him and he'll give you the item.

You can only be invaded while in human form, and only if you haven't beaten the area's boss yet.

Right - i know that you can only be invaded when human, but i thought you could only help out others when hollow. Strange that i have thought that the entire time. Could you help others when human in demon's souls or did you have to be in soul form?

I have acted as a helper on many occasions, i only ever initiated that as a hollow though.

joe2187

Banned
Also I want to join the sunlight convenant without touching my faith, But I can never get summoned in this game, only once have I been summoned to fight artorias and nothing else

Summoning also has a 98% failure rate, is there any way I can make this any better? any fixes that I dont know about?

IoCaster

Well, wherever they are, there's no way to accidentally give them to the lordvessel. Perhaps you moved them to the bottomless box, and I'd also check the usually empty treasure chest in firelink shrine. but could very well be a bug.

They're gone man. They aren't in the BB or the lost and found chest at Firelink. When I placed the Lordvessel one of the menu items was "offer souls", which I thoughtlessly chose for some dumb reason. I obviously didn't have any of the Lord souls with me at that point. The missing souls were gone from my inventory before I returned there with any of the Lord souls. So it's obviously either a glitch or the Lordvessel will take them if offered.

Anteater

Stupid fatty and skinny in new game+, almost killed them on first try, ran out of pots when fighting ssj fatty, fucking aoe move!

Igo

I know he is, but I just always miss out on the tail weapons, like Priscilla and Seath
Ah, yeah, I feel you. I missed out on whatever Priscilla drops, which really annoys me because I didn't even really want to kill her.

Just remember to attack the very tip of his tail to get the drop. I failed like 5 times in a row before I got pissed of and went online to figure out wtf I was doing wrong. Shit fell off after like 2 attacks after that, which left me feeling like a complete fool.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Also I want to join the sunlight convenant without touching my faith, But I can never get summoned in this game, only once have I been summoned to fight artorias and nothing else

Summoning also has a 98% failure rate, is there any way I can make this any better? any fixes that I dont know about?
Most likely your failures are due to level. With the later areas the variation is much bigger so your chances of a random summon are lower.

14s58

When summoning, failures also happen commonly because either
- The player trying to be summoned put his sign down again, erasing the old one you just clicked
- Someone else started summoning the player (If the player's sign appears in 10 players' worlds and one person gets to him first, it'll disappear/fail for the other 9)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How/where can I make sure that that "Kirk" dude invades me in the Depths? I've understood that you can encounter him several times but I haven't seen him yet.

edit : bah apparently I shouldn't have killed the boss in the depths... oh well...

Thrakier

Summoning failed summoning failed summoning failed. Nice that they still didnt fix this issue. Is this part of the "hardcore experience"? I can't do fucking kapra demon alone, doesn't matter what you guys tell me, I go in and Im dead.

rybrad

They're gone man. They aren't in the BB or the lost and found chest at Firelink. When I placed the Lordvessel one of the menu items was "offer souls", which I thoughtlessly chose for some dumb reason. I obviously didn't have any of the Lord souls with me at that point. The missing souls were gone from my inventory before I returned there with any of the Lord souls. So it's obviously either a glitch or the Lordvessel will take them if offered.
That sounds like a glitch to me. I tried to offer souls to see what it did when I first got it and I still have all of my boss souls.

Vaporak

Summoning failed summoning failed summoning failed. Nice that they still didnt fix this issue. Is this part of the "hardcore experience"? I can't do fucking kapra demon alone, doesn't matter what you guys tell me, I go in and Im dead.

Of course you can. I'm guessing you're not physically crippled or something if you've made it that far so there's nothing special stopping you that, conservatively, thousands of other players didn't overcome.

arit

How/where can I make sure that that "Kirk" dude invades me in the Depths? I've understood that you can encounter him several times but I haven't seen him yet.

edit : bah apparently I shouldn't have killed the boss in the depths... oh well...

From the bonfire via the shortcut, after you descended the stairs, to your left there are small stairs with 3-4 huge rats. He invaded me there when I was going to the basilik from there(though even before going into the tunnel where it is).
Of course you have to be human.

Gvaz

Banned
Basically, what all this means is that
Kaathe is probably the reason that Dusk woke up Manus, who is stated to be the source of the Abyss and of the Dark, and who is quite likely also the Pygmy, given how he's referred to as a primeval man with a connection to the Dark, just like the Pygmy. If you look at the tomb in Manus' area in the Chasm of the Abyss it's human-sized, so Manus probably wasn't always that big.

That has some pretty big implications for the endings, but dang I'm tired of typing and don't really like how much ambiguity they dispelled anyhow so I'll just let you draw your own conclusions.

No. There is
more than one
primordial serpent. No one ever says specifically which one.

zkylon

zkylewd
Tried that 10 times, dogs block me, demon slays me. Put this fight to rest until later...
There's a lot of chance involved in getting the first 5 seconds right in that fight. I found the thing that worked for me instead of beelining for the stairs, to first move right a bit so I dodged the dogs, then sprint up the stairs and into the rightmost corner.

derFeef

There's a lot of chance involved in getting the first 5 seconds right in that fight. I found the thing that worked for me instead of beelining for the stairs, to first move right a bit so I dodged the dogs, then sprint up the stairs and into the rightmost corner.

I got that once but on the bottom of the stairs was the other dog waiting :( I may try the trick with the luring skulls now. Or maybe summon someone as I have 1 humanity now thanks to the butterfly.

Eusis

Think I've played this enough recently, time for Demon's Souls.

Wish there was a PC version :I
Probably wouldn't benefit as much admittedly, Dark Souls has some shockingly good texture work but playing Demon's Souls again it really isn't that great there, and the framerate is overall more reliably 30 (but far from locked, Dark Souls PC spoiled me there). Though I do wonder if a PS3/PC exclusive sequel would be able to have dedicated servers, in case XBL policies got in the way and it wasn't simply being cheaper and more friendly for the long term.

EasyMode

I got that once but on the bottom of the stairs was the other dog waiting :( I may try the trick with the luring skulls now. Or maybe summon someone as I have 1 humanity now thanks to the butterfly.

Since you've beaten the butterfly you probably have the Elite Knight armor set since it's near that boss. If you equip that you'll have enough poise that the dogs wont be able to interrupt you while you're attacking or healing.

derFeef

Since you've beaten the butterfly you probably have the Elite Knight armor set since it's near that boss. If you equip that you'll have enough poise that the dogs wont be able to interrupt you while you're attacking or healing.

That's a good point, I have the Wolf Ring too...

Grief.exe

Though I do wonder if a PS3/PC exclusive sequel would be able to have dedicated servers, in case XBL policies got in the way and it wasn't simply being cheaper and more friendly for the long term.

Would essentially double the player base available as well. Could never have issues finding people to summon or PvP with.

Most likely your failures are due to level. With the later areas the variation is much bigger so your chances of a random summon are lower.

Is there a reason that summons are based on level above your character. What I mean is with invasions you can invade anyone infinitely above your level, but with coop its only +10+10% range.
Why is this?

I have a level 25 in anor londo right now and want to help people. But I'm probably going to stay at that level for the rest of the game

Thrakier

Have fun waisting 1 hour of your lifetime trying to summon one guy. Didn't even work for me at all and I wasted the humanity.

I got to the staircase three or four times. Does't help at all because two dogs and a fucking giant kapra demon come after me right away and kill me within a second. I watched video tutorials, doesn't help.

I finished Demon's Souls and had fun with it. I feel like in this one they went way way way overboard with the difficutly. I get the point that a game is more engaging and therefore fun when it's challenging. But this one is sheer frustration. And running up to a boss fight 30 or 50 times, every walk involves five minutes and killing the same enemies over and over, is not only a stupid gamemechanic and frustrating as hell, it's also a COMPLETE WASTE of precious lifetime. Sorry to say that, but I'm just annoyed right now. This kapra fight is fucking stupid and by no means fun.

I'm getting confused about weapons. I want to upgrade some of them and ascend them to other types but I have no clue which ones are worth upgrading. I feel like the stats given tell only half the story and I have no clue if I'm just playing shitty with certain weapons or if they're too weak. And I don't know if upgrading them to do better will be worth using all the shards on those weapons whereas instead I can use them for something else. I feel like Dark Souls is more about having the right weapon than Demon's Souls for some reason. Like, if you ascended the wrong weapon to divine when going to the catacombs you'll have a worse time regardless of your build.

Tips for weapons? I'm afraid of using anything for my Divine Halberd+5 for the reasons stated above, and I can't upgrade it until I get more green titanite shards, which are found in the Tomb of Giants, which I'm not prepared for because my equipment's too shitty. Catch 22? :/

Grief.exe

Have fun waisting 1 hour of your lifetime trying to summon one guy. Didn't even work for me at all and I wasted the humanity.

What level are you? I might be able to help. I just finished anor londo but I'm only 25 which means if you are 12-38 I can help.

The trick is to run to the right and roll as soon as he brings his swords down. <25% equip load helps on that one.

This is the best boss walkthrough video series. Its all in Japanese but it shows you what you need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15SgSY6rNcw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm getting confused about weapons. I want to upgrade some of them and ascend them to other types but I have no clue which ones are worth upgrading. I feel like the stats given tell only half the story and I have no clue if I'm just playing shitty with certain weapons or if they're too weak. And I don't know if upgrading them to do better will be worth using all the shards on those weapons whereas instead I can use them for something else. I feel like Dark Souls is more about having the right weapon than Demon's Souls for some reason. Like, if you ascended the wrong weapon to divine when going to the catacombs you'll have a worse time regardless of your build.

Tips for weapons? I'm afraid of using anything for my Divine Halberd+5 for the reasons stated above, and I can't upgrade it until I get more green titanite shards, which are found in the Tomb of Giants, which I'm not prepared for because my equipment's too shitty. Catch 22? :/

What's your stats?

You can get green tittanite from the slimes in the depths. Like 6 of them next to the warp able bonfire there.

OreoKraickerz

Neo Member
I apologize if this has been asked already but I'm a bit confused about the effect of the DLC content on the story:

When exactly does Artorias go to the Abyss to meet with the Four Kings (sent by Gwyn right?) if he went to the Abyss and became corrupted by it while trying to defeat Manus? Because of the DLC, it seems he goes to the Abyss on two separate occasions and both occasions result in him being corrupted by the Abyss, unless I'm misunderstanding something. If he went to the Four Kings first, and failed, ultimately joining with them iirc, then it doesn't make sense that he would go to try to destroy Manus. If he went to destroy Manus first and was corrupted by the Abyss, it wouldn't make sense for Gwyn to send him to meet with the Four Kings. Fucking time travel...

arit

They are also dropped by the leeches in Blighttown.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a reason that summons are based on level above your character. What I mean is with invasions you can invade anyone infinitely above your level, but with coop its only +10+10% range.
Why is this?

I have a level 25 in anor londo right now and want to help people. But I'm probably going to stay at that level for the rest of the game
Well for balance right? When you're SL20 you can summon people between SL8 and SL32, which should be suitable for where you're at in terms of gear and stats. If they let you summon an end-game SL80 guy it would completely mitigate any difficulty from the game as the phantom just clears everything while you sit back and watch.

Invaders on the other hand, aren't meant to have the advantage since well, they're out to screw over another player in his own game. So the lack of an upper limit gives them an uphill battle fair to the host while a strict lower limit makes sure they don't gank newbies with a tweaked out character (though this still happens since you can easily run end-game gear at SL10-20).

Grief.exe

Well for balance right? When you're SL20 you can summon people between SL8 and SL32, which should be suitable for where you're at in terms of gear and stats. If they let you summon an end-game SL80 guy it would completely mitigate any difficulty from the game as the phantom just clears everything while you sit back and watch.

Invaders on the other hand, aren't meant to have the advantage since well, they're out to screw over another player in his own game. So the lack of an upper limit gives them an uphill battle fair to the host while a strict lower limit makes sure they don't gank newbies with a tweaked out character (though this still happens since you can easily run end-game gear at SL10-20).

Obviously. I meant why can't I lay my sign down at sl25 and anyone could see my sign from 12-infinity. Instead of how it is currently from 12-38.

I guess I do see the reason. If you are in ng+++ you don't want a level 25. Maybe they should have done -10+10% and +30+10%

derFeef

Combined with the Elite Knight set, you'll have a lot of poise. Perhaps even Cappy won't be able interrupt you. If you give this a try, let us know how it turns out.

It works fantastic! I can just run by them and eat all the dmg. Now to not suck at the fight itself.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Dascu

A poster on Something Awful has been going through the game files, and he found data for an unused boss, Undead King Jar-Eel. Apparently he was in the artbook.

You were going to be able to get Jar-Eel's armor, and it's still sort of in the game.

http://i.imgur.com/5dmdN.jpg

Can't find this design in the artbook(s) actually. Couple of other interesting designs though, including some samurai-like warrior.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously. I meant why can't I lay my sign down at sl25 and anyone could see my sign from 12-infinity. Instead of how it is currently from 12-38.

I guess I do see the reason. If you are in ng+++ you don't want a level 25. Maybe they should have done -10+10% and +30+10%
Eh possibly so you're not wasting the other person's time. Like if a SL20 puts down their sign hoping to get summoned in the depths and some SL100 in NG+ summons him but he dies immediately then it was a waste of humanity for the host.

Top Bottom