• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

The best is master key in my opinion, but if you don't want to sequence break then I would go with the Old Witch's ring.

The Fair Lady's speech adds a great deal to the lore and is beautiful but dreadfully sad.

Yeah, I'm tempted to go with Master Key, if only for the great sword/shield you can get early on with it, but.. I want to try and play it "properly" the first time through.

killed Manus last night. What an incredible fight. He could have been the last boss instead of
Gwyn
really. It was also brilliant they made it so that you can use the
silver pendant
to repel his dark magic.

Now that makes wonder, can you use that item to repel those dark sorceries in pvp?

Yup, you can.

It's an option that is presented to you, how is it not "properly" choosing the Master Key?

and also the default gift for Thiefs, my first character was a Theif just so I could pick master key + another gift, I made the foolish mistake of the Tiny Ring...what a let down that one was.

This game is good. But also frustrating... in a weird way. I don't really think the game is that hard. I mean, I do die a lot, but almost all of my deaths are caused by A) Not knowing what to expect/first encounters, or B) Stupidity/rushing. Every time I slow myself down and concentrate on the battle I win. If anything, this game just shows me how impatient I am. The only thing I generally dislike are the level designs and environments. They don't look bad, they're just bland compared to today's standard. I guess this isn't really the point though since the levels are all designed for encounters, and less for exploration.

....bland level design? ehh...what? If anything - I think this game has some of the best level design I've seen in a game recently. Sure, there are a few exceptions - but as a whole, I think it's damn fine.

It's efficient, minimal full, almost every area has a purpose - it all ties in/interconnects in a smart way. Nice variation in environments, from the brown-sludge of Blight Town, to the gleeming city of Anor Londo, to the maze-like Catacombs.

For the most part, I think it has some of the most thoughtful level design I've seen recently.

Although I will agree with the game not being 'that hard' (it's still hard...but not as hard as others make it out to be). It just requires a certian patience / mindset that is lost with most gamers. People are used to charging in blindly, spamming their heaviest attack and being able to heal without consequence -- not so much in this game.

Little bit of patience and observation goes a long way, once you start to memorize things - you can rip through it very fast. Seriously, people can beat this game in around an hour -- still boggles me to watch them pull it off :p and who knows how long they spent perfecting their game before they were able to accomplish that.

Thrakier

So I now got the Wolf Ring and what shall I say? Capra Demon was easy as piss. Not. He's still killing me within seconds. I had him down 3/4 once because of glitching and shit but then he still got me. Also the game starts crashing on me now.

So anyone helping me with this fucker? If not I guess I'm done with the game.

JeTmAn81

Bad level design is one thing this game definitely doesn't have. A significant part of its appeal is the variety of level design, with creative choices in art style and spatial placing for each new area, which invites you to continue exploring deeper into this twisted world you've discovered.

somesplace

Neo Member
So I now got the Wolf Ring and what shall I say? Capra Demon was easy as piss. Not. He's still killing me within seconds. I had him down 3/4 once because of glitching and shit but then he still got me. Also the game starts crashing on me now.

you sound really, really bad. you should just quit.

What level are you? How would I join your game if we are similar levels? On my most recent playthrough I was definitely under powered when I faced him (lvl 6) and I had to hang out on the ledge just off to the right at the top of the stairs and through fire at him (or fire bombs) and do the dropping R1 slash when he was beneath me.

Thrakier

What level are you? How would I join your game if we are similar levels? On my most recent playthrough I was definitely under powered when I faced him (lvl 6) and I had to hang out on the ledge just off to the right at the top of the stairs and through fire at him (or fire bombs) and do the dropping R1 slash when he was beneath me.

I don't know. 26 or 27 or so. I guess we'd need to "meet" there, so we actually meet in steam and then go there and chat via steam. I don't know.

JeTmAn81

I feel a little bit bad about the Capra demon because I didn't end up having to fight him for real. He stomped me instantly the first time I met him, then the next time I had a companion who ended up killing him shortly after he killed me again, but I still got credit for the kill. It was all over so fast.

The wolf ring is just one element, all that part does is add some poise. You still have to block with a nice stability shield and heal properly, you can have +2 estus flasks by this point, put some points into vitality, use an estoc behind a shield with resin = one hit dog kills.

what soul level are you?

Did you try to summon someone? The guy I summoned just sat on the steps for the whole fight with his shield up and it still made it 100 times easier just to have someone to draw attention away.

if you reverse hollowing at a bonfire, you can see summon signs. I'm sure you'll see some in front of Capra's door. I have a character around that level that I could help you out with later today

Sometimes they are in front of his door and sometimes they are back on the stairs that lead up to the undead burg. The ones with the well at the bottom.

Sullichin

I don't know. 26 or 27 or so. I guess we'd need to "meet" there, so we actually meet in steam and then go there and chat via steam. I don't know.

if you reverse hollowing at a bonfire, you can see summon signs. I'm sure you'll see some in front of Capra's door. I have a character around that level that I could help you out with later today

Thrakier

Guys, I tried summoning yesterday, it didn't work. The mechanic is broken, it doesn't work. I wasted about one hour standing around, trying to summon guys just to see "summoning failed" popping up.

Truant

I think the highlight for me in this version was when I relalized I cleared Sen's without dying once, on my first try. I spent a few days in the when I played the game on 360. It was over in like 30 minutes. Pretty nice sense of accomplishments.

However, when I look at ENB vids, I realize I'm a bad player. I can never play as skillfully as that guy, I always use a ton of potions, and over-level before I get to any area. Still, I love the game, but I kinda feel like I'm cheating at times.

Guys, I tried summoning yesterday, it didn't work. The mechanic is broken, it doesn't work. I wasted about one hour standing around, trying to summon guys just to see "summoning failed" popping up.

whats ur character and equipped weapons/spells? How many estus?

I was a SL 29 dex/pyro with +5 balder sword, hollow shield, light armor and used the block at start for initial attack. moved to stairs, took out dogs (both in first single hit) and then moved back and forth using entire length corridor to get away to heal, and on stairs and up to make some space

I had 10 estus (+2) and used them all, killed capra first time. You have to not panic! thats the hard part!

Thrakier

whats ur character and equipped weapons/spells? How many estus?

I was a SL 29 dex/pyro with +5 balder sword, hollow shield, light armor and used the block at start for initial attack. moved to stairs, took out dogs (both in first single hit) and then moved back and forth using entire length corridor to get away to heal, and on stairs and up to make some space

I had 10 estus (+2) and used them all, killed capra first time. You have to not panic! thats the hard part!

Pyro, level is around 25 I think. I need two hits for the dogs. Currently have 10 heaing potions and a healing scroll. Not enough energy isn't the issue, it's dieing too fast and not being able to use the energy at all.

I loaded up Dark Souls just now and it says that my save is corrupted. I have a backup created with GameSave Manager, but how do I use that save in the game? It seems to be a different file format...

Sullichin

I gotchya. I've complained in this thread several times about summoning not working very well on the PC version. It is quite frustrating and I hope they fix it. You should be able to get someone eventually though, although I agree standing around for an hour is a waste of time.

Not sure what you've tried for Capra but here are some tips, apologies if they're repeated suggestions or if I've said this to you specifically already, who can remember:

- Buy an alluring skull from the undead female merchant in the aqueduct. Throw it as soon as you enter the fog door. This works really well to distract Capra enough for you to run to the stairs and take care of the dogs. Although I will say that sometimes Capra does not give a fuck about your alluring skull and he will just target you instead.

- If you have an estoc or spear, you can safely pummel the dogs from behind a shield - extremely useful.

- Enter the room, Block/dodge capra's first attack, zigzag to the right back corner and then to the stairs, have the dogs chase you up the stairs and kill them. When capra comes up he might be able to hit you a couple of times but he'll fall. Do a plunging attack when you're above him and you'll likely take out half of his health in one hit.

- If you happen to have chosen the master key as your starting gift, you don't even need to fight Capra.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I loaded up Dark Souls just now and it says that my save is corrupted. I have a backup created with GameSave Manager, but how do I use that save in the game? It seems to be a different file format...
I had that error too, just reload and try again, sometimes steam needs to sync.

I had that error too, just reload and try again, sometimes steam needs to sync.

Yeah - that seemed to work. Thanks.

Pyro, level is around 25 I think. I need two hits for the dogs. Currently have 10 heaing potions and a healing scroll. Not enough energy isn't the issue, it's dieing too fast and not being able to use the energy at all.

I am standing outside Capra right now, if that helps at all.

Raide

Just dropping in a massive thanks to CatPee for sending me a link where I can grab Dark Souls PC. He kicked me over the edge and I had to purchase for the good of all mankind. Downloaded now, so I will add the Durante Edition fix and then see how I get on. Will have to use Keyboard and Mouse fix till my wired pad arrives.

J-Rod

I'm level 50 and can't find a single summon sign for seath. Am I wayyy off on levels for this area or what? I spent all day after work yesterday alternating between looking and leaving my own summon signs without a single bite. For the past few bosses its been that way. Had no problems earlier in the game or back when it came out on ps3. I thought it would be an easy summon on seath since people want the tail. I'm pretty sure I could solo him if I don't go for the tail and I don't need it, but I do love collecting all the things and having a coop partner and the opportunity is gone forever once you kill the boss.

Psy-Phi

I'm level 50 and can't find a single summon sign for seath. Am I wayyy off on levels for this area or what? I spent all day after work yesterday alternating between looking and leaving my own summon signs without a single bite. For the past few bosses its been that way. Had no problems earlier in the game or back when it came out on ps3. I thought it would be an easy summon on seath since people want the tail. I'm pretty sure I could solo him if I don't go for the tail and I don't need it, but I do love collecting all the things and having a coop partner and the opportunity is gone forever once you kill the boss.

I don't know what it is but after Undead Parish, and possibly just before Queelana, I can't ever seem to find summon signs on any character I've played, dating back to the PS3 release. I've been all over the place in level, from finishing the game a first time at SL 30 to finishing at SL 120 and a few in between. I wish the game had suggested levels for certain areas, or could notify the player in some way if you were below or above the curve for the area you were leveling up in.

Any tips for
the gaping dragon fight?

I happen to know I need to beat it to get
the Key to Blightown

Resorted to Reverse Hollowing in order to try and get some help, even found
a summon for Solaire
I think I'm doing fine, ducking in for a quick attack with
my +7 Halberd, and back out. Got him down to 50%. But inevitably I get one-shot somewhere along the way. Is there any trick to this fight other than just patience and well.. patience?

Gonna run out of my precious Humanity soon! Help!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Any tips for
the gaping dragon fight?

the Key to Blightown

a summon for Solaire
my +7 Halberd, and back out. Got him down to 50%. But inevitably I get one-shot somewhere along the way. Is there any trick to this fight other than just patience and well.. patience?

He's the easiest boss in the game. Just stay away from it until it goes flat and charges, then wallop on his ass till he goes upright again. Repeat until dead.

Grief.exe

Just dropping in a massive thanks to CatPee for sending me a link where I can grab Dark Souls PC. He kicked me over the edge and I had to purchase for the good of all mankind. Downloaded now, so I will add the Durante Edition fix and then see how I get on. Will have to use Keyboard and Mouse fix till my wired pad arrives.

Finally. You've been on the edge for a while.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Any tips for
the gaping dragon fight?

the Key to Blightown

a summon for Solaire

If you freed the gold knight Lautrec from Undead Parish you should be able to summon him too. His sign is in the same area around the corner from where you summon Solaire.

Tips for the fight in general are to keep moving. Try to stay near his side. The front is dangerous because of grabbing and slam moves and the back has a nasty tail swipe. Basically wait from him to slam down and charge and then get a few hits in while he is stunned.

Don't forget to run when he jumps into the air and keep your eye on his position.

He's the easiest boss in the game.
Pinwheel would like to have a word with you.

And any boss can be challenging the first time you face it without knowing what to expect. Dark Souls rewards patience above all else.

Two possible ways of dealing with him are..

1. Wait for him to get onto the ground, stay around his back and hack at his tail
2. Wait for him to get onto the ground, do his 'head smash' attack, and take a few shots on his tiny head

Especially with #2 - don't get cocky and try and sneak in an extra attack, back up. Too many times in this game have I gone to take an 'extra easy hit' during a recovery phase like this (Havel..looking at you mate...) , only to get smacked across the screen and killed due to being over confident.

Hzoltan69

If you freed the gold knight Lautrec from Undead Parish you should be able to summon him in the same area around the corner from where you summon Solaire.

Tips for the fight in general are to keep moving. Try to stay near his side. The front is dangerous because of grabbing and slam moves and the back has a nasty tail swipe. Basically wait from him to slam down and charge and then get a few hits in while he is stunned.

Don't forget to run when he jumps into the air and keep your eye on his position.

If you start by cutting the tail off, you can safely move behind as well, making the fight a lot easier.

rizz

Neo Member
FINALLY took down the stray demon after dying like two dozen times! Equipped the black leather armor and the lightest gears I have, replaced my Uchi+5 with the bandit's knife, and I moved around like goddamned feather poking at his ugly ass butt whenever there was an opening! Also equipped havel's ring hoping for an extra effect.

This was my first time using a light set of armor and the change was... wow! I could do back-to-back rolls without pauses. This fight was an essential lesson for me as so far I've been tanking everything -- dodging, back stepping, side stepping and attacking. Now I've finally learned the art of rolling.

FINALLY took down the stray demon after dying like two dozen times! Equipped the black leather armor and the lightest gears I have, replaced my Uchi+5 with the bandit's knife, and I moved around like goddamned feather poking at his ugly ass butt whenever there was an opening! Also equipped havel's ring hoping for an extra effect.

This was my first time using a light set of armor and the change was... wow! I could do back-to-back rolls without pauses. This fight was an essential lesson for me as so far I've been tanking everything -- dodging, back stepping, side stepping and attacking. Now I've finally learned the art of rolling.

Worst part about this fight is the stupid "magic" gas he releases, its to random and unfair, I still havent defeated him :(.

People say dex builds are bad? They seem to be very popular --- they have a great selection of weapons, and the faster move sets are easier to use for many people.

In PvP, the bleed damage is very handy - and with minimal int investment you can get Magic Weapon / Great Magic Weapon which can be rather deadly when applied (for a little more, Crystal Magic Weapon).

Crystal Magic Weapon + a Washing Pole is a rather deadly combo.

Top Bottom