• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

d0c_zaius

finally beat 4 kings on NG+ before placing the lordvessel.

Whoever said use combustion and Havel set, you are amazing.

Also joined the sun crew to help peoples out. PRAISE THE MF'N SUN!

Raide

Day 1

I woke to find myself in so dank and dingy cell. I feel like death warmed up. Just as I was about to go utterly mad, some kind strange dumped a corpse into the room via a convenient gap in the roof! Thank you good Sir! Now I can die of the plague too!

I looted the strange corpse, only to find a key and some strange substance which I pocketed. Upon freeing myself, I began to wonder what all these skinny creatures were doing down here? Since I was still feeling groggy and had nothing but a broken sword and a used key to my name, I thought it only fair that I relieve them of their boredom and check their squish corpses for items of value.

Note To Self: Some of these skinny freaks roll balls at you! What the hell is up with that? Checking out the now gaping hole that had been created, I saw another figure! Another person! He uttered a few words and then I accidentally slipped on some moss and stabbed him. I am sure he had wonderful tales to tell me but all he did was avail me of a key and some strange orange liquid in a flask.

Back upstairs to the ball rolling freak, which I clunked upside the head with a crap sword, I now find myself gazing up at a huge door. I can hear a deep pounding sound and the temptation to pee myself and run is pretty high. I open the door tentatively and guess what! A big fat monster jumps into the room. "Efff that!" I screamed and sprinted to a nearby open doo, almost like I had seen adn done this before. I still have no idea where I am and I still have an inability to swing my sword or aim a skinny creatures.

Gvaz

Banned
I killed a giant metal bull.

It took like 60 arrows. I have a feeling I did it wrong. Nevertheless, I got this cool prize:

efJpul.jpg

...did you just take a photo of your monitor? What the fuck?

Carm

Almost lost 100k souls and 8 humanity to
SKELETON WHEELS
in the catacombs. Barely escaped with like 10 HP. Whew.

Am I not understand something about the leveling system. Why would someone hold onto 100k souls instead of using them to level? Or is that what you just accumulated in the catacombs?

Am I not understand something about the leveling system. Why would someone hold onto 100k souls instead of using them to level? Or is that what you just accumulated in the catacombs?

buying and upgrading gear is far more important than leveling once you get above sl50 or so and get some stats to their soft-cap.

Fuuuuck I'm cursed what now? :(

very carefully fight your way out and visit the female undead merchant

equil

Ive never actually used up all the durability of a weapon before but does anyone know if it hits zero the weapon gets destroyed?

Dresden

Ive never actually used up all the durability of a weapon before but does anyone know if it hits zero the weapon gets destroyed?

no it just loses damage and goes red until you repair it

happened to me once while i was invading :/ damn katanas and their weak puny durability

lol that reminds me, I got stuck at the bottom of blighttown on my first character with a broken weapon and had to inch my way out using whatever I could find in my inventory. that was when I bought a repair box.

dark souls

rybrad

I decided I am going to work on getting all of the achievements which means doing the weapon upgrades. Anyone have suggestions on which weapons would be good upgrade candidates for each type? I am a straight strength build but having some diversity would be good since I need to make so many different weapons anyway.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I forget, do you need to loot the mask off Pinwheel when you kill it or does it automatically get added to your inventory? If it's the former and what happened to me wasn't a glitch, I'm guessing it's gone if you homeward bone and quit right? My main goal was just to get enough souls to properly equip the Gravelord Sword but any of the masks would be cool.

Just did this last night on my new character, and no it doesn't get auto added, you have to loot it off the ground. I could have swore it was auto'd on PS3 though...

Anyway, got bored and I'm now doing a Faith/Strength build, main weapon being a Reinforced Club +10. Took some of Sullichin's advice on that weapon because I never used it and damn it's a great weapon! All this talk of Stray Demon, and I actually just spanked him (pun intended) with this weapon, the bleed effect worked great.

Raide

Oh dear god! The game is awesome but its the Mouse and Keyboard that kill me more than the actual game does! Roll on wired pad!

theta11

There's more than one primordial serpent, yes. There's not more than one primordial serpent who's heavily associated with the Dark, the Abyss, and primeval man.

The dialogue subtitles in those segments appear exactly as I've transcribed them, i.e. Dark is rendered as a proper noun. The game uses Dark as a proper noun elsewhere in the game when Kaathe is speaking and in item descriptions pertaining to the Darkwraiths. Marvelous Chester refers only to a "toothy serpent," which is ambiguous, but Chester himself is heavily implied based on Elizabeth's dialogue, the fact that he invades you, and his apparent familiarity with a primordial serpent to be a Darkwraith, which swings the pendulum pretty damn far towards Kaathe in terms of who he's talking about.

Of course, the timeline doesn't fit either. Frampt is asleep until you ring the Bells of Awakening, which has obviously not happened at the time of Oolacile being consumed by the Abyss. We can be rather confident that Kaathe has been active in the world while Frampt's been sleeping based on the fact that the Four Kings fell to the Dark after Gwyn linked the First Flame, whereas there is no evidence whatsoever that Frampt hasn't been napping pretty much since Gwyn linked the flame.

You can believe that Frampt is the true orchestrator of the whole Manus-awakening debacle if you really want -- seeing as how nobody ever directly utters Kaathe's name -- but such an interpretation is completely at odds with literally every single piece of evidence that the game presents, in the form of both dialogue and the third-person omniscient narration of item descriptions.

Frampt has been awakened a few times before, the player character is the most recent person to Ring both Bells of Awakening but not the only. People have braved Sen's Fortress before (Tarkus managed to make it to Anor Londo).Undead have pretty much been scacrificing themselves for the last 1000 years trying to rekindle the first flame, that is assuming that the legend/mission was created the moment Gwyn linked the flame. Also take note of the Dark ending where both Kaathe and Frampt are there ready to server the new lord of Dark so Frampt hasn't betrayed the Dark completely. There's alot of behind the scenes stuff that I would love for them to get into especially regarding the true nature and motives of the Serpents

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No he's not, that's Pinwheel.

Pinwheel has the capacity to do some minor damage to you. I've fought Gaping Dragon 5 times now and even my first crack at it I've never taken a single point of damage. Pinwheel is comically easy but at least he *tries*.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Claymore still worth upgrading to a magic weapon? I'm in the Depths and have grinded 15 green titanite shards. I also have 20 points in intelligence and am going for a magic knight build.

Is there no other way? She wants 6000 souls I don't have :(

curses are meant to be a major hassle so unfortunately there's really not another way. you can head to new londo ruins and fight your way through an army of ghosts to get to Ingward and he'll charge you one humanity for removing the curse, but it's not exactly easy the first time you go there because the ghosts like to hang out inside walls and ambush you.

Thrakier

curses are meant to be a major hassle so unfortunately there's really not another way. you can head to new londo ruins and fight your way through an army of ghosts to get to Ingward and he'll charge you one humanity for removing the curse, but it's not exactly easy the first time you go there because the ghosts like to hang out inside walls and ambush you.

I just read that there is another guy who sells it for 3000. And there is that little crow thing which gives you two for 1 of those "invade items". Isnt that a better option?

ArynCrinn

Banned

Nonsense! A curse if just like playing Demon's as a phantom, my thought process if I get cursed nowadays is just to continue on my merry way until I happen to come across a vendor. I've actually played for probably 15 hours or so cursed on PS3, cleared out New Londo that way too. Just need to play smarter when cursed. =P

But yeah, it's probably a wise idea to stock up on at least 2 stones before heading down into anywhere where you can get cursed. Although I usually wait until I've killed every lizard in the Hollow if I get cursed there to deal with it.

I just read that there is another guy who sells it for 3000. And there is that little crow thing which gives you two for 1 of those "invade items". Isnt that a better option?

Yeah, that weird fucker in the bell tower where you fight the Gargoyles sells them the cheapest.

Thrakier

Yeah, that weird fucker in the bell tower where you fight the Gargoyles sells them the cheapest.

And changing them against those red crytsal invade items? Are they worth a lot? I got cursed in my hollow form anyway. It's weird that everyone says "dont go hollow" but Im already all the time... o_O

KarmaCow

God damn this game. I started out just trying to get the Gravelord Sword early and I ended up almost ringing both bells. Granted getting to that point took fraction of the time it took me on my first playthrough but it's been a while since a game has gotten its hooks into me.

Nonsense! A curse if just like playing Demon's as a phantom, my thought process if I get cursed nowadays is just to continue on my merry way until I happen to come across a vendor. I've actually played for probably 15 hours or so cursed on PS3, cleared out New Londo that way too. Just need to play smarter when cursed. =P

I think the point is that it's meant to change the way you play, which it certainly does.

Thou art welcome anytime.
It is only human to commit a sin…
Heh heh heh heh…

Need help guys, I finally made it to the top of Sens fortress, fought a knight with a huge shield, then a guy that threw me arrows and then used a super fast sword, killed them both and went upstairs to the tower.

There were 2 chests, one with a ring but check this out:

Someone left a message saying Illusory wall, I hit every single wall in this room and nothing, am I getting trolled?

Something else, I feel like I checked every area in here and the only thing left to do is fight the Iron Golem, but it makes no sense, as I see the 2 other golem (1 throwing bombs and 1 dropping balls) How can I explore the rest of this stage?

joe2187

Banned
You are being trolled, you've also pretty much seen all of sens fortress

The rest of sens fortress's challenges lie below, you have jump down the first bridge you walk on when you enter and there below lie some items, and 4 titanite demons

also visit the merchent in the tower opposite the one you are in, just jump the gap

zkylon

zkylewd
I just ran into Havel, being SL 60. Poor guy didn't stand a chance lol. I feel like this fight should've been a lot more tough if I wasn't this overleveled...

theta11

Need help guys, I finally made it to the top of Sens fortress, fought a knight with a huge shield, then a guy that threw me arrows and then used a super fast sword, killed them both and went upstairs to the tower.

There were 2 chests, one with a ring but check this out:

Someone left a message saying Illusory wall, I hit every single wall in this room and nothing, am I getting trolled?

Something else, I feel like I checked every area in here and the only thing left to do is fight the Iron Golem, but it makes no sense, as I see the 2 other golem (1 throwing bombs and 1 dropping balls) How can I explore the rest of this stage?

You got trolled. lol The one throwing bombs can be reached from the stair opposite to the Iron Golem fog gate. The Giant dropping balls can't be reached but the giant who raised the gates can, to get to him take the ladder up from the pit with the Titanite Demon but instead of falling off the ledge back into Sen's Fortress hit the wall to reveal another ladder to take you to the roof to the 2nd Giant

Finally beat the game yesterday. The last area is so darkly beautiful. So much detail for an area you only spend about 5 minutes in as well. There was a lot more I wanted to do before I went on to NG+, but I've put 70+ hours into the game already and was feeling a bit burnt out on it. Of course, as soon as I beat it dove right into NG+ and killed the Taurus Demon, the Gargoyles and the Moonlight Butterfly. This game is damn addictive. Really glad I finished it before Borderlands 2 comes out, though.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Mothetfucking Capra Demon. No matter how well prepared I am I still can't help but get hit by the fucker as soon as I put one foot past the fog wall. It sucks because he starts towards you and gets a power swing started before the game finishes the fog walk animation.

rybrad

DLC optional boss spoiler:
How the hell to I cut off Kalameet's tail? I just spent 20 minutes messing around with him and got maybe one swipe at it. This seems like the Sanctuary Guardian where the boss is easy and the tail is a massive pain in the ass.

Raxus

How the hell to I cut off Kalameet's tail? I just spent 20 minutes messing around with him and got maybe one swipe at it. This seems like the Sanctuary Guardian where the boss is easy and the tail is a massive pain in the ass.

Keep a mid range distance from the boss and bait him into using his care bear stare gaze or fire breath so he stands on his hind legs and you can swipe at his tail. A weapon with an overhead strike helps immensely as well.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Boss weapons. Good for good times and achievements.
As of right now there has still been no use found for the guardian soul. It doesn't change any +10 weapon of any weapon class into a boss weapon. The scorpion tail whip is obtained from just cutting his tail off in the fight.

Dodge the attack where he flies straight at you and you'll end up right behind him. Block his tail slam attack and you get 1 free slash on the tail. Repeat till it's been cut.

Otherwise coop with a friend and cut it while he's breathing fire.

ArynCrinn

Banned
As of right now there has still been no use found for the guardian soul. It doesn't change any +10 weapon of any weapon class into a boss weapon. The scorpion tail whip is obtained from just cutting his tail off in the fight.

I apologize, misinterpretation on my end... Need more coffee.

Top Bottom