• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

kinggroin

Banned
I killed a giant metal bull.

It took like 60 arrows. I have a feeling I did it wrong. Nevertheless, I got this cool prize:

efJpul.jpg

mxgt

Banned
I've been doing a little more reading.

Are DEX builds really as bad as people say?

I wanted to start off as a Wanderer and maybe go dex instead of strength, but...

Dex/Faith is awesome

Are there any good dex-build weapons you can pick up early on in the game?

You can get Estoc about 5 mins into the game in new londo in the area before the ghosts, best thrusting range in the game.

koryuken

Cool invasion story...

I'm on XBOX on my first play through. I am taking my sweet time leveling and getting every item and visiting every place -- so I am at like SL 95 right now going through the Tomb of the Giants for the very first time. (I have the sunlight maggot)

An unusually equipped invader appears and I quickly change to my PVP gear. My PVP build is medium armor with good poise (was using Ornstein's before I got the Paladin's set) + 2h Maxed Lifehunt Scythe (I love this weapon) + Grass Cress Shield on my back for STA regen.

This guy has all light armor with a rapier and a bow. I am in area with very narrow ledges and falling off is a real possibility. So this guy stands back and starts shooting arrows at me. I get behind cover and wait...I am not that stupid bro. After 2 minutes of missing me with the bow, the guy gets bored and charges me. As he is charging me, I cast Chaos Firestorm from behind the corner -- the guy rolls back and almost falls to his death. I am not sure if he got hit by the spell, but I could tell he was shaken. He then starts running around and trying to knock me off into the chasm using the force series of spells. At this point, I realized that this is probably his main strategy. I was sidestepping carefully around the ledges and doing the 180 degree horizontal swipes with my Lifehunt. The guy was rolling around but still getting clipped. He blasts me with the force spell, but my back is against the wall : ) I do a final swipe, and I see his heath bar disappear...gotta love bleed. Invader slain, +20k souls and +1 humainity.

PS. I'm a DEX/FAI build in case anyone is curious.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Are there any good dex-build weapons you can pick up early on in the game?
Kill the merchant you meet in Undead Burgh after you buy bottomless box/residence key/armor and weapon repair box.

He will drop an Uchigatana.

After that you can get the Iato in Blightown or if you're lucky a Balder Side Sword from one of the Balder knights.

rizz

Neo Member
Worst part about this fight is the stupid "magic" gas he releases, its to random and unfair, I still havent defeated him :(.

Having spent over an hour in this fight, I completely agree. The key is to move/roll away as fast as possible and stay behind him.

Here is what I learned from the fight: when in front of him, try to get behind. Dash towards him. And as soon as you reach him, roll past because he'd use that "magic" gas and rolling would take you away from its reach -- unless of course you roll towards a wall.

Once behind, poke at its ass two/three times and then back off. Having a really light armor really helps as one backward roll would take you outside the magic attack's reach. I found that an easy way to gauge the magic attack's reach is the demon's tail. If you're away from the tail, you're safe. After the red wind goes away, run forward and attack two/three times once again, and back off. That is pretty much the strategy to the fight.

For me the black leather set armor and the bandit's knife [minus a shield] worked really well.

Having spent over an hour in this fight, I completely agree. The key is to move/roll away as fast as possible and stay behind him.

Here is what I learned from the fight: when in front of him, try to get behind. Dash towards him. And as soon as you reach him, roll past because he'd use that "magic" gas and rolling would take you away from its reach -- unless of course you roll towards a wall.

Once behind, poke at its ass two/three times and then back off. Having a really light armor really helps as one backward roll would take you outside the magic attack's reach. I found that an easy way to gauge the magic attack's reach is the demon's tail. If you're away from the tail, you're safe. After the red wind goes away, run forward and attack two/three times once again, and back off. That is pretty much the strategy to the fight.

For me the black leather set armor and the bandit's knife [minus a shield] worked really well.

Hmm you inspired me to stop trying to beat Sens fortress and try to beat this guy instead. I really want that Right of Kindling.

I think I'm around 25/26.

Ah I dont think I can help you then, im around level 43 I think :(

equil

I just discovered how awesome the Moonlight Greatsword is. It shoots magic with it's 1h R2 attack and the weapon only weighs 6 pounds.

I just discovered how awesome the Moonlight Greatsword is. It shoots magic with it's 1h R2 attack and the weapon only weighs 6 pounds.

Not as cool as the
Dragon Bone Fist, it's r2 is basically a Shoryuken. The one you make from the Iron Golem's soul.

Not really a story spoiler, just item one.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The messages thing is perhaps the most innovative part of Dark Souls.

EasyMode

How the heck do I tackle the
Stray Demon
?

Whatever I do, I can't flee his AoE-attack.

You want to roll towards him (towards the courtyard bonfire) as soon as the floor collapses. If you get close to him he'll stop tossing around those AoE spells. If you find that you're going to get caught in one of those blasts, break lock-on and face the direction he's facing with your shield up.

You probably have the crest shield if you've explored the place, which is perfect since that attack is magic based. Two more tips: the fight is easier without locking on, and weapons that do bleed damage hurt him big time.

joe2187

Banned
How the heck do I tackle the
Stray Demon
?

Whatever I do, I can't flee his AoE-attack.

Make friends with his left butt cheek, it is his achilles....butt cheek

If you are behind his left butt cheek a good distance, nothing will touch you, and stab dat ass for all its worth

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Having now cleared the game 3 times, I still find him to be hardest boss in the game.

True story.
This honestly surprises me. I've been doing him shortly after Gargoyle's for a while now. He's pretty easy if you cheese him.

Basically you can get him trapped in a cycle of just doing butt-stomps and his AOE attack if you stay close behind him.

Just buttstab him and then when he flies up roll backwards or if you see him extend his axe roll back to avoid AOE and then roll back in and butt-stab, butt-stab, butt-stab.

Buttstab is a word I added to my vernacular solely from Dark Souls just because it's so appropriate for a lot of the bosses.

EasyMode

Don't forget the ridiculous Int scaling, and the R1 moveset + the staggering of a claymore.

Speaking of staggering, how does it work exactly? Is it every X number of consecutive hits? I've mostly been using katanas and I'm pretty new to greatswords.

I noticed that Smough staggered when I got a few hits on him with my lightning claymore. I wonder if all bosses can stagger.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Speaking of staggering, how does it work exactly? Is it every X number of consecutive hits? I've mostly been using katanas and I'm pretty new to greatswords.

I noticed that Smough staggered when I got a few hits on him with my lightning claymore. I wonder if all bosses can stagger.
Stagger is affected by poise. Heavy weapons like greatswords, clubs, axes have higher stagger rates. 2-handing affects it as well. Dex based weapons in general like the katana don't have a high stagger rate but anything can stagger if you chain attacks right or your enemy has low poise.

EasyMode

Stagger is affected by poise. Heavy weapons like greatswords, clubs, axes have higher stagger rates. 2-handing affects it as well. Dex based weapons in general like the katana don't have a high stagger rate but anything can stagger if you chain attacks right or your enemy has low poise.

I see. It's like the stun meter from Street Fighter... I think.

Anyone know if the retail copy (EU) redeems on Steam? Tried looking around but not found an answer (found a copy for £20)...

EDIT: NM, Amazon forums linked to some Steam threads which say it can! :D

You mean the
black knight
? Meh, they're really easy to deal with.

My first time down there, I just tried to run past the wheels, not expecting there to be anything else.. then a head exploded and I got stabbed in the back and run over by 3 skeleton wheels... ;_;

KarmaCow

I forget, do you need to loot the mask off Pinwheel when you kill it or does it automatically get added to your inventory? If it's the former and what happened to me wasn't a glitch, I'm guessing it's gone if you homeward bone and quit right? My main goal was just to get enough souls to properly equip the Gravelord Sword but any of the masks would be cool.

Zeliard

Should be automatically added. If something glitched up you can still buy any of the three masks from
Patches
after finishing Tomb of the Giants.

KarmaCow

Hmm, but then I would need to learn the path through in the dark.

I don't like the dark. :(

EDIT: and
I'd need to kill Nito first anyway.

Top Bottom