• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

I really want those Artorias greatswords, but they take so much Intelligence and Faith.

Yeah, I know how you feel. It's a difficult decision pulling the trigger on those.

It's a little easier with the Abyss Greatsword because there's no scaling with INT/FTH; rather, there're only requirements (18 a piece). That way, you can get them out of the way fairly easily and still build a very decent DEX/STR build, which is what the Abyss GS scales with (C/C). There's no niggling voice in the back of your head saying, "ooh, shouldn't you put that into FTH, mang?"

I've been using a Great Scythe the whole time and hence, my stats are very skewed towards DEX, but the Abyss GS performs wonderfully. That being said, it is very much an aesthetic/PvE/bit-of-fun weapon; it's just way too slow and crippling for PvP, but I already love the shit out of it.

Grampasso

Eh, I never went much into that lake because I was totally scared, plus the reflection on the water makes it a bit difficult to understand where's the edge of the solid ground you can walk on :D
Freed her btw... I love her! I'll try to do my next character resemble her :D I suppose now I have to be human to see her summon sign

nowai

just got my plat in dark souls and moved on to demon's souls. Is it it me or is demon's souls a much harder game than dark souls?

And much better overall IMO. Less cheese deaths and more about learning the actual game elements and mob attack patterns.

Also hub world > open world.

Mutombo

I must 've tried Gwyn about 30 times now. Goddamnit. I keep on making mistakes, or thinking it's the right time to heal when it's not (but with Gwyn, when is it ever?) Almost had him a couple of times. My strategy right now seems to be block or roll away his first jump attack. Then go two handed, give him three hits, fall back and switch black to block/parry. From then on it's just completely random. I try to parry (I'm wearing hornet ring, a riposte does about 800 damage so I should be bloody able to kill him in 5 parries) but I miss or I block or whatever. Fuck.

Mogwai

I must 've tried Gwyn about 30 times now. Goddamnit. I keep on making mistakes, or thinking it's the right time to heal when it's not (but with Gwyn, when is it ever?) Almost had him a couple of times. My strategy right now seems to be block or roll away his first jump attack. Then go two handed, give him three hits, fall back and switch black to block/parry. From then on it's just completely random. I try to parry (I'm wearing hornet ring, a riposte does about 800 damage so I should be bloody able to kill him in 5 parries) but I miss or I block or whatever. Fuck.

Tease him a bit so he makes the grab or the kick. It's the perfect opportunity to heal.

LogicStep

Gwyn is the last boss no? I had trouble with him too until I started parrying. Then it was a cakewalk.

For the final boss:

There's a rock along the left wall from when you enter that's wide enough to block Gwyn's attacks. The rest of the rocks, he'll pretty much just dash around and stab you.

Learn to parry his opening jump. He will always do it, so getting the timing will give you a head start. The only thing that really makes Gwyn hard is his combo. So I kept my shield up in case he did the combo. If he does, you can block the first hit and roll away from the second. The third hit is slow enough to parry, but I haven't tried it. His recovery from the combo is usually slow enough to get in a hit. If he does his two-handed attack instead, you might be able to react and parry.

I've only beaten it once, though.

Also, I can't get anybody to summon me for Ornstein and Smough anymore. It was working at SL42, but not at SL45.

Joei

And much better overall IMO. Less cheese deaths and more about learning the actual game elements and mob attack patterns.

Also hub world > open world.

Let me preface this by saying I've put in over 200 hours in each game. I just started a new play through on Demon's Souls and I have to say I do miss the open world of Dark Souls. I'm not sure an open world would work considering the incredible amount of detail they put into each area in Demon's, but I definitely think it had its place in Dark Souls and I liked it.

That said, I find Demon to be much harder and much more detailed oriented in pretty much all aspects; design, bosses, gameplay, combat. And a generally harder game. I kind of enjoy Demon's a little more as well.

2AdEPT

Couple things folks,

First, welcome back Mick! Knew you would be back...I took a break for a while but am having a blast with my BKGA chick....I may turn her into a Lifehunt Scythe for PVP but not there yet. Just having fun helping on bosses at level 40 or so....if anyone wants help on any pre lord vessel bosses let me know by messaging AdEPTErik on gfwl. I am also ok with helpers fir mine....Queelag up next! Even with my axe at only +4,
I two shotted capra (one regular hit followed by the ridiculously powerful R2) and had the fog on so the dogs didn't even help.
All the agony in the past for nothing!

Oh yeah also did I miss any twinkling titanite anywhere pre bells? I got all the snuggly stuff and got the lizards in the garden and in the burg...dont feel like going all the way to the hollow but can't think of anything easier I haven't already got?

Posted?

1375809227-dark-souls-isometric-pixel-art-demake-screen.png

Found this online. No idea who made it.

Wow, that looks cool.

LogicStep

So what would be the best way to go about getting all the achievements? I need a fresh run with that in mind or should I do what I can now and finish it in NG+? I don't know how the achievements for this game are, I don't normally go for them.

Booshka

So what would be the best way to go about getting all the achievements? I need a fresh run with that in mind or should I do what I can now and finish it in NG+? I don't know how the achievements for this game are, I don't normally go for them.

You need to play through at least NG++ to get all the Achievements. So, it's best to just stay on your current character and run through playthroughs getting all the weapons and spells.

2AdEPT

I never do them either, but from reading here I have heard it takes three playthroughs, mostly I think because you have to use a boss soul three different ways...Ornstein maybe? Oh yeah, orn and Smu force you to do each one for the special weapons, then I believe Orn requires two options dragons layer spear and something else?

LogicStep

You need to play through at least NG++ to get all the Achievements. So, it's best to just stay on your current character and run through playthroughs getting all the weapons and spells.

I never do them either, but from reading here I have heard it takes three playthroughs, mostly I think because you have to use a boss soul three different ways...Ornstein maybe?

Three? That's not so bad but I believe there is a lot of farming involved? Damn, sounds like a lot of work. But this game :D I might just play and enjoy it, forget the achievements.

Booshka

Three? That's not so bad but I believe there is a lot of farming involved? Damn, sounds like a lot of work. But this game :D I might just play and enjoy it, forget the achievements.

There is definitely some farming involved, nothing too ridiculous if you are lucky on some weapon drops. The only reason you need three playthroughs is so you can make all three Boss weapons from Sif's soul, Two Greatswords and his Shield. So, it's actually like 2.5 playthroughs.

2AdEPT

I find it too difficult not to start a new character. So far done at least three low level pyro for low level co-op, turned one into a reaper chaos great scythe darkwraith, two faith/dex sunlight/darkmoons...one my "skywalker" build using washing pole, sage robe, emit force, and lightning bolts, one pure magic, two strength, one bows only, one SL1 Pyro bit no upgrades allowed, and lastly, two melee only black Kight halberd/GS and GA currently! The double ups were required for new DLC having completed days after launch....I started with skywalker then switched to magic for the new content. I found this path more rewarding than any grinding achievement....especially the no upgrades SL1 as to my knowledge no one I heard of had tried this before at the time.

This is only PC can't recall which of these were on PS3 as well. Iirc Well over 1500 hours spent. Demons prolly 800.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Is this normal health? But he seemed to recover health extremely fast. I was still able to beat him by pushing down.

http://i5.minus.com/iB93UK1VvviFQ.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yup, that's a cheater. Encountered one of those a few days ago, also had 60k+ hp

Couple things folks,

First, welcome back Mick! Knew you would be back...

Haha. Cheers, man. Yeah, look; I was always coming back. This effin' game. It was getting 2 of my mates (one casual, the other semi-casual) to take the plunge that pulled me back in, really. Talking about it and witnessing their journey is nearly as fun as playing the damn thing.

In other news: so sad hitting 40 DEX last night and seeing the AR increase for my Great Scythe plummet down to 1 from 6-7 with each level :(. Such a great weapon. The 2-handed moveset is probably the best I've encountered, personally.

My stats thus far (close to SL 100, I think):

VIT = 29
END = 29
STR = 24
DEX = 40
FTH = 18
INT = 18

I'm thinking of focusing on STR now and just peppering souls throughout VIT/END here and there.

Sullichin

Glad I was able to beat him. Used Wrath of God to push him off the cliff.
Nice!

Haha. Cheers, man. Yeah, look; I was always coming back. This effin' game. It was getting 2 of my mates (one casual, the other semi-casual) to take the plunge that pulled me back in, really. Talking about it and witnessing their journey is nearly as fun as playing the damn thing.

In other news: so sad hitting 40 DEX last night and seeing the AR increase for my Great Scythe plummet down to 1 from 6-7 with each level :(. Such a great weapon. The 2-handed moveset is probably the best I've encountered, personally.

My stats thus far (close to SL 100, I think):

VIT = 29
END = 29
STR = 24
DEX = 40
FTH = 18
INT = 18

I'm thinking of focusing on STR now and just peppering souls throughout VIT/END here and there.

Couple things folks,

First, welcome back Mick! Knew you would be back...I took a break for a while but am having a blast with my BKGA chick....I may turn her into a Lifehunt Scythe for PVP but not there yet. Just having fun helping on bosses at level 40 or so....if anyone wants help on any pre lord vessel bosses let me know by messaging AdEPTErik on gfwl. I am also ok with helpers fir mine....Queelag up next! Even with my axe at only +4,
I two shotted capra (one regular hit followed by the ridiculously powerful R2) and had the fog on so the dogs didn't even help.
All the agony in the past for nothing!

Oh yeah also did I miss any twinkling titanite anywhere pre bells? I got all the snuggly stuff and got the lizards in the garden and in the burg...dont feel like going all the way to the hollow but can't think of anything easier I haven't already got?

Welcome back to both of you :D

2adept, have you considered making your BKGA character a Black Knight cosplay build? It's one of my favorite characters. Love it for invasions, coop, and fight clubs. Had some fun duels with SenseiJinX a few days ago, you guys should join us.
Here's the build I use for that (but I switch between all the BK weapons):
http://mmdks.com/3ilh

It feels especially appropriate to invade with a black knight.. too bad some greatshield/spear using darkmoon knocked me down a few pegs in the book of the guilty. Might make another BK invasion video.

Mick, if you bring your STR to 27 (or 28 if you want to 1H the murakumo) you'll have a really versatile build and be able to use the majority of the weapons in the game (albeit some two handed), but, I'm sure you already know that ;)

Welcome back to both of you :D

Mick, if you bring your STR to 27 (or 28 if you want to 1H the murakumo) you'll have a really versatile build and be able to use the majority of the weapons in the game (albeit some two handed), but, I'm sure you already know that ;)

Thanks, bro! And yeah, that seems like a pretty solid plan. STR at 24 is somewhat limiting; and I wouldn't mind being able to effectively wield Artorias' Greatshield et al.

It's funny just how much more I know and how much more I've done this time through. Believe it or not, as my first character (vanilla run and a NG+ run), I rarely dabbled in things such as ripostes and even two-handed wielding. Terrible, I know, but I found a formula and I stuck to it. I think that, in retrospect, I was still very scared of the unknown and very scared of screwing up. It's still a very humbling experience to die in this game (unless it's someone backstabbing you as you're rising from a bow...)

Third time through now and I'm dying probably 5000% less, I'm OHKO-riposting Lautrecs all over the joint, I'm pwning O&S on my own in nary 3 attempts and I'm even winning PvP battles (I still suck, though). Even the little things that can easily go untouched, such as stat scaling and applying buffs; I'm all over them now. I mean, my first character has STR & DEX in the mid-to-high 50's because I was compleeeeetely unaware of the drop-off. My appreciation for the mechanics, balancing and variation in this game has increased exponentially.

Complacency and comfortability held me back, but man, does it feel good to know the ropes now; even if it did take me 120 hours :). I'll stop gushing now.

Grampasso

So I'm about to get 3 weeks off work and I'm going to be without connection for that time. Guess I'll play a new character offline on PS3, can't wait :D Besides the extra content section and the framerate, what is lacking in the console version?

Four Kings NG+ is the worst. I can't do it.

What's your build/what have you tried? This has always worked for me:

• Put on Havel's or Stone Armor. Use the entire suit, it doesn't matter if you fat roll.
  • Make sure you're using a weapon with pretty high attack
  • Throw on Power Within as soon as you enter the fight
  • As soon as a King spawns, get right up close to him and start two handing your weapon. Once you get close to him, don't worry about dodging any attacks but his grab or magic attacks. Only stop to heal if you're close to dying or out of endurance.

You can usually kill them so fast this way that you'll never have to fight more than one at a time.

• Put on Havel's or Stone Armor. Use the entire suit, it doesn't matter if you fat roll.
  • As soon as a King spawns, get right up close to him and start two handing your weapon. Once you get close to him, don't worry about dodging any attacks but his grab or magic attacks. Only stop to heal if you're close to dying or out of endurance.

You can usually kill them so fast this way that you'll never have to fight more than one at a time.

I did it. Used Havel's Armor. Took about about 3 tries, the first the I was hit with magic before even getting near the 1st king which slowed me down and messed up the flow. Done with the Four Kings. My least favorite area.

Booshka

I did it. Used Havel's Armor. Took about about 3 tries, the first the I was hit with magic before even getting near the 1st king which slowed me down and messed up the flow. Done with the Four Kings. My least favorite area.

Hope you grabbed the Very Large Ember in New Londo Ruins, best Ember in the game.

LogicStep

So am I too high level or too low level? I'm lvl 40 currently trying to get through Sen's Fortress and it's proving difficult. It's like a new game to me since I've never played a heavy weapon style before. What's bothering me is that I don't get summoned and I don't see any signs to summon people. >;( I really want to play the online aspect of this.

Edit: Now in Anor Londo lvl 44 no summon signs and the ones I see fail to summon.

Arjen

So am I too high level or too low level? I'm lvl 40 currently trying to get through Sen's Fortress and it's proving difficult. It's like a new game to me since I've never played a heavy weapon style before. What's bothering me is that I don't get summoned and I don't see any signs to summon people. >;( I really want to play the online aspect of this.

Edit: Now in Anor Londo lvl 44 no summon signs and the ones I see fail to summon.

50 seems about right for anor londo

Yeah, had to make sure I got everything since I didn't want to go back.

You'll be back for dem tasty chunks, man. The drop rate from the wraiths seems to be one of the better ones in the entire game. It is a horrible place, though, no doubt; especially on your first run through. One of the few areas in any video game that has brought me close to feeling physically nauseous, actually.

zkylon

zkylewd

maybe because I was too used to fast roll, but this has never worked for me

literally the way I beat them is trying enough times. took me like 20 or something in ng+

it's torture imo and the reason I didn't beat the game in ng++

:(

NG+ is pretty disappointing. I rolled through all of the bosses and areas in less than 3 hours, now I'm stuck at the Super Londo Bros. because Smough kills me in one hammer smash. The enormous damage buffs enemies got basically invalidate armor, and standard enemies get bowled over in one hit still, so there isn't any challenge in getting through the areas again.

Booshka

NG+ is pretty disappointing. I rolled through all of the bosses and areas in less than 3 hours, now I'm stuck at the Super Londo Bros. because Smough kills me in one hammer smash. The enormous damage buffs enemies got basically invalidate armor, and standard enemies get bowled over in one hit still, so there isn't any challenge in getting through the areas again.

That's why Vitality is so important, NG+ and beyond, armor and defense rating is mostly worthless, all about high HP. It's best just to upgrade some light gear and rely on your mobility and hit and run to defeat bosses. A well upgraded shield with high stability scales well through NG+ playthroughs as well.

If you are getting one shot, it's because you didn't level your Vitality enough. Also, it's best just to run through areas on your way to the boss/bonfire/loot etc. Fighting mobs is really only for first playthroughs and farming. It's a waste of time once you get into playing multiple playthroughs.

So, I am replaying the game on PC after getting only about 10 hours into the xbox edition. I am currently a pyro and I just
rang the first bell after beating the gargoyles and went into the forest.

I guess my question is if the Drake Sword is really worth it. I am currently lv ~24 and have been pumping most of my stats into End with a few between dex and vit. Now, I am sitting at 13str and the Drake needs 16 strength to 1h. Currently, I am using an Estoc +3 and getting use to the moveset, even though I am not too great at it. I feel that it's pretty underpowered, but it's quick and nimble.

Anyway, is it best to stay the course and keep playing on my Estoc, or should I get the 3 additional stats into str for the drake with the intention of farming the earlier stuff more effectively?

So, I am replaying the game on PC after getting only about 10 hours into the xbox edition. I am currently a pyro and I just
rang the first bell after beating the gargoyles and went into the forest.

I guess my question is if the Drake Sword is really worth it. I am currently lv ~24 and have been pumping most of my stats into End with a few between dex and vit. Now, I am sitting at 13str and the Drake needs 16 strength to 1h. Currently, I am using an Estoc +3 and getting use to the moveset, even though I am not too great at it. I feel that it's pretty underpowered, but it's quick and nimble.

Anyway, is it best to stay the course and keep playing on my Estoc, or should I get the 3 additional stats into str for the drake with the intention of farming the earlier stuff more effectively?

The Drake Sword is really never worth it. It has absolutely no scaling, so pretty much any weapon is better than it when upgraded. If you like the Estoc, it's definitely viable to stick with that weapon. It doesn't have huge damage output, but like you said it's quick. There are also better thrusting swords (in my opinion) so if you like the moveset you could swap out to one of the others once you get them.

The Drake Sword is really never worth it. It has absolutely no scaling, so pretty much any weapon is better than it when upgraded. If you like the Estoc, it's definitely viable to stick with that weapon. It doesn't have huge damage output, but like you said it's quick. There are also better thrusting swords (in my opinion) so if you like the moveset you could swap out to one of the others once you get them.

Is there a weapon you suggest I seek out around this point?

Top Bottom