• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Grampasso

In the end I managed to kill her. As I had predicted all I had to do was to understand the movement and once I did she went down pretty easy. After that quite a bit of things happened
I rang the 2nd bell, opening the door with the Onion Knight near the blacksmith.

I went back to Firelink Shrine because I managed to kill all the blowdart guys and found another Firekeeper's Soul, so I wanted to use it to reinforce my estus flask more, but it seems like she's been killed, supposedly by the man I saved in Undead Parish opening her cellar. I took her remnants and a stone labeled as something that could bring me to the invade the Firekeeper murderer? I have no idea how to use it though, it's greyed out both when I'm human or hollow. Due to this reason the bonfire at Firelink shrine can't be lit anymore and it's quite a pain in the ass. I tried some routes but I'm a bit lost. In the new opened area with the snakemen I reach a point with heavy balls running down. The Onion Knight suggests to "roll" but I don't think I can do it in time before a new ball cripples me.

I tried the New Londo route but it's not good having to rely on consumables, the Transient Curse, to go through it. Isn't there a way to damage the ghosts without having to use it?

ALso tried the Valley of Drakes. Sniped down the undead one, he just stood there still taking all my arrows to death. Well actually the same thing can be done with pretty much any blue drakes as well if the distance is enough. Anyway I was down on arrows so I preferred going somewhere else.

Tried the catacombs, reaching the first bonfire and triggering the mechanism that opens the rest of the area. The skeletons though are immortal, so it's something like a run until I get killed because there are too many enemies around me.

Finally there's also the lava area which goes straight after Quelaag's Domain. In the distance I could see a tentacle-like monster supposedly behind a white fog, so I think that must be a boss.

Any suggestion about where I'm supposed to go now?

I went back to Firelink Shrine because I managed to kill all the blowdart guys and found another Firekeeper's Soul, so I wanted to use it to reinforce my estus flask more, but it seems like she's been killed, supposedly by the man I saved in Undead Parish opening her cellar. I took her remnants and a stone labeled as something that could bring me to the invade the Firekeeper murderer? I have no idea how to use it though, it's greyed out both when I'm human or hollow.
You will be able to use that in a later area. All is going according to keikaku, don't worry.

The Onion Knight suggests to "roll" but I don't think I can do it in time before a new ball cripples me.
They are timed so you can run between each one, but if you're having a hard time, try getting your equipment load down to 25% so you run/roll speed is the fastest.

I tried the New Londo route but it's not good having to rely on consumables, the Transient Curse, to go through it. Isn't there a way to damage the ghosts without having to use it?
They drop a weapon that hits them as well as dropping transient curses - which are also sold by the undead female merchant in the aquaduct.

Tried the catacombs, reaching the first bonfire and triggering the mechanism that opens the rest of the area. The skeletons though are immortal, so it's something like a run until I get killed because there are too many enemies around me.
The necromancers control the skeletons - kill them (they don't respawn just like the toxic blowdart guys of Blighttown), then the skellies won't ressurect. You can also use a divine weapon to kill skellies.

Finally there's also the lava area which goes straight after Quelaag's Domain. In the distance I could see a tentacle-like monster supposedly behind a white fog, so I think that must be a boss.
That's correct.

Any suggestion about where I'm supposed to go now?
Sen's Fortress is logical. New Londo if you're feeling brave and want to upgrade your weapon further asap. Catacombs if you want a very helpful reward from killing the boss.

Grampasso

You will be able to use that in a later area. All is going according to keikaku, don't worry.

They are timed so you can run between each one, but if you're having a hard time, try getting your equipment load down to 25% so you run/roll speed is the fastest.

They drop a weapon that hits them as well as dropping transient curses - which are also sold by the undead female merchant in the aquaduct.

The necromancers control the skeletons - kill them (they don't respawn just like the toxic blowdart guys of Blighttown), then the skellies won't ressurect. You can also use a divine weapon to kill skellies.

That's correct.

Sen's Fortress is logical. New Londo if you're feeling brave and want to upgrade your weapon further asap. Catacombs if you want a very helpful reward from killing the boss.
Thanks *_*
That will be
Sen's Fortress
then I will try going through the
Catacombs. For Divine Weapons I don't have yet materials to forge them :/. I found Artora's Sword in the Valley of Drakes, but I don't meet the requirements (faith) to wield it properly

rando14

just got to
tomb of the giants

FUCK
THIS
PLACE

how do i beat those fucking skeletons that run on all fours? ;_;

Booshka

Thanks *_*
That will be
Sen's Fortress
then I will try going through the
Catacombs. For Divine Weapons I don't have yet materials to forge them :/. I found Artora's Sword in the Valley of Drakes, but I don't meet the requirements (faith) to wield it properly

The skeletons are being revived by Necromancers spread throughout the level, run around and try to kill them as they don't come back. Then the skeletons won't come back.

2AdEPT

just got to
tomb of the giants

FUCK
THIS
PLACE

how do i beat those fucking skeletons that run on all fours? ;_;

Ever tried avoiding enemies instead of fighting? The darkness is realistic in this game..they don't see you any better than you see them when the lights are out...
you don't have to fight them if you don't want....but you need to know where you are going and may have to bait and outrun one or two and hope they go off a cliff...using stealth/fog rings and/or magic means you won't have to aggro them at all IIRC.

Obviously you need a ranged or tank weapon to kill them before they start jumping around. Pyro great chaos will do them in quick...as long as you have a high level glove and your chaos ball leaves the extra lava. A fully upgraded glove and an item that boosts uses
dusk ring iirc
will allow you to use 8 Choas balls but it will half your health...since you will never get hit once by killing them before they dance around, this is a good trade off. Magic users will need the soul spears, the regular soul ray is not strong enough, so you best go to Dukes before the Tomb.

Upgraded Weapons that do them in just fine in OHK fashion are the black knight weapons, Zweihander, Greatswords....and depending on how much leveling you did the hybrid medium swords like washing pole and great scythe (found in catacombs) are fine as well, especially if they are buffed.

Xyber

So I finished the game couple of hours ago. Lvl 88 and about 35-40 hours of playtime.

I have to say that the ending was disappointing.

That last boss was very easy, then I went to the bonfire and lit myself on fire. Credits.

Just, what?

My friend finished it at the same time as me and he got the "bad ending" and that sounded way cooler than what I got. :(

Grampasso

Reached the bonfire in
Sen's Fortress
I was about to miss it since you need to
fall from one of the first platforms targetted by the giant throwing bombs at you.
Luckily instead of going directly for the boss I went back searching for it since it seemed absurd to me that I hadn't encountered a bonfire, and having killed the giant (which luckily doesn't respawn anymore) I had the possibility to search thoroughly.
Speaking of the area, there seemed to be an unreachable turret, the one where the platform is broken. I thought I could jump but even with minimum equipment load (less then 25%) I can't reach the other side. Judging by a hint left down by a player there should be a merchant inside that turret (or in that direction anyway).
By the way I gave a shot at the boss, I had only 4 Estus Flasks and I was about to do it on first try (15% life remained). Must be the easiest boss in the game or I'm getting good at it

Raide

Well this sucks. Wanted to jump into DS after installing Windows 8 etc and the GFWL is messed up. Does not log into the profile at all, so I cannot access any of my saves yet. Keeps loading into offline and no-save mode. Grrr.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Reached the bonfire in
Sen's Fortress
I was about to miss it since you need to
fall from one of the first platforms targetted by the giant throwing bombs at you.
Luckily instead of going directly for the boss I went back searching for it since it seemed absurd to me that I hadn't encountered a bonfire, and having killed the giant (which luckily doesn't respawn anymore) I had the possibility to search thoroughly.
Speaking of the area, there seemed to be an unreachable turret, the one where the platform is broken. I thought I could jump but even with minimum equipment load (less then 25%) I can't reach the other side. Judging by a hint left down by a player there should be a merchant inside that turret (or in that direction anyway).
By the way I gave a shot at the boss, I had only 4 Estus Flasks and I was about to do it on first try (15% life remained). Must be the easiest boss in the game or I'm getting good at it

Just a heads up but if you're using the 60fps fix, you should disable it for the jump. 60fps very slightly shortens jump distance and makes that jump INCREDIBLY tough.

Backspace is the default keyboard shortcut to enable/disable 60fps

Giggzy

Well this sucks. Wanted to jump into DS after installing Windows 8 etc and the GFWL is messed up. Does not log into the profile at all, so I cannot access any of my saves yet. Keeps loading into offline and no-save mode. Grrr.

I have the same problem and it's so frustrating.

Anyone know of a fix?

Raide

I have the same problem and it's so frustrating.

Anyone know of a fix?

After messing around for a while this is what I did. May work.

Deleted the DSFIX folders and files. Uninstalled the GFWL stuff. After a restart I checked the Dark Souls files in steam, downloaded the GFWL client for MS and installed. Booted Dark Souls and it worked.

Beforehands I had to run in win 7 compat but then the GFWL would not load profiles.

Hzoltan69

Just a heads up but if you're using the 60fps fix, you should disable it for the jump. 60fps very slightly shortens jump distance and makes that jump INCREDIBLY tough.

Backspace is the default keyboard shortcut to enable/disable 60fps

I had no problems making that jump at 60fps. Just keep to the very left of the platform (that's where it is the longest) and you should do it easily.

Sullichin

After messing around for a while this is what I did. May work.

Deleted the DSFIX folders and files. Uninstalled the GFWL stuff. After a restart I checked the Dark Souls files in steam, downloaded the GFWL client for MS and installed. Booted Dark Souls and it worked.

Beforehands I had to run in win 7 compat but then the GFWL would not load profiles.

It really is amazing that GFWL can't just say that the current version is incompatible and prompt you to update GFWL.

taybul

Anyone experience this bug? Shortly after getting Estus Flasks for the first time I started off with 5, as usual, but at some point I gained a 6th. After I lit a bonfire I suddenly had 10. When I dipped below 5 and touched another bonfire I went back to getting only up to 5.

Grampasso

I'm actually playing locked at 30, is the 60fps fix just the configuration in the DSfix.ini config file? Maybe I should just try to do a better jump XD

Grampasso

Anyone experience this bug? Shortly after getting Estus Flasks for the first time I started off with 5, as usual, but at some point I gained a 6th. After I lit a bonfire I suddenly had 10. When I dipped below 5 and touched another bonfire I went back to getting only up to 5.
It's not a bug, it's intended. It should happen only when you're human and it should be another player on your server resting (I think) to a bonfire you're near to.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Not a bug.

Sullichin

It's not a bug.

By default, a bonfire will grant you 5 estus flasks when you respawn there, unless it is a bonfire with a fire keeper (like the one in firelink shrine). Those start you with 10 estus flasks. You can kindle fires to start with 10 flasks (and more after you get a certain item).

Also, if you're online and another player kindles a bonfire near you, you get another flask in your game. So that explains why you got a 6th one.

nowai

I must say
blighttown
is not so bad at least compared with the ominous fame it has.

Blighttown on PC at 60FPS makes it not nearly as bad as it is on consoles.

The narrow footing and mobs from all directions is a nightmare at 10FPS!

Raxus

I am using the Butcher's Knife and Black Knight Shield and I need some armor that won't burden me as much to counter this.

What is a good set of gear to level up. I have the Elite Knight Set +9 so far and I was thinking the sorcerer set would be a good start. I still can't move quickly without the havel ring.

I am using the Butcher's Knife and Black Knight Shield and I need some armor that won't burden me as much to counter this.

What is a good set of gear to level up. I have the Elite Knight Set +9 so far and I was thinking the sorcerer set would be a good start. I still can't move quickly without the havel ring.
Mix and match. I like the Dingy set, very good resistances, one of the best light armours (if not the best?)

CatPee

Yo, is there a fix for the 360 controllers' large deadzone that occasionally causes my character to walk even though I'm pushing the stick forward all the way?

Grampasso

Killed the boss in
Sen's Fortress. The ring of light appeared and the gargoyles brought me to Anor Londo. The new area reminds me of GoW XD. Found the bonfire with the firekeeper, beaten the Tail Axe Gargoyle but nothing happened. After fooling around a bit I found the path leading to the Golden Light, but I can't traverse it because of something like the Great Lord permission. Went back to where the Gargoyle was and died jumping off the ledge XD. I realized I'm still not supposed to go there so I trailed back through the fortress, exploring on my way back to the blacksmith place. SL 46, guess I'll head to the Catacombs now.

BTW is Illusory Wall a spell or what? I found a lot of player hints in different places stating "Try Illusory Wall" usually in dead ends or right in front of walls. Is there a spell revealing secret passages? I clearly remember a wall literally disappearing behind me when I was in the pit full of casters in Sen's Fortress, revealing the way to go back to the entrance (otherwise I would have been stuck down there forever)

Yo, is there a fix for the 360 controllers' large deadzone that occasionally causes my character to walk even though I'm pushing the stick forward all the way?
I'm not having any problem with 360 controller... are you sure your equipment weight isn't over 50% of your capacity (or even 75, don't remember the threshold)? ^^;

Killed the boss in
Sen's Fortress. The ring of light appeared and the gargoyles brought me to Anor Londo. The new area reminds me of GoW XD. Found the bonfire with the firekeeper, beaten the Tail Axe Gargoyle but nothing happened. After fooling around a bit I found the path leading to the Golden Light, but I can't traverse it because of something like the Great Lord permission. Went back to where the Gargoyle was and died jumping off the ledge XD. I realized I'm still not supposed to go there so I trailed back through the fortress, exploring on my way back to the blacksmith place. SL 46, guess I'll head to the Catacombs now.

BTW is Illusory Wall a spell or what? I found a lot of player hints in different places stating "Try Illusory Wall" usually in dead ends or right in front of walls. Is there a spell revealing secret passages? I clearly remember a wall literally disappearing behind me when I was in the pit full of casters in Sen's Fortress, revealing the way to go back to the entrance (otherwise I would have been stuck down there forever)
There is another path in Anor Londo, have a look around a bit more.

Illusory wall isn't a spell, it literally means there is an illusory wall there (or another player put the message there as a joke) - try hitting suspicious looking walls.

Grampasso

There is another path in Anor Londo, have a look around a bit more.

Illusory wall isn't a spell, it literally means there is an illusory wall there (or another player put the message there as a joke) - try hitting suspicious looking walls.
Hitting? Like attacking or running/rolling through? Lol I need to go back in there then... well now I know my way through it. Also I freed
the black sorcerer but it seems like he won't teach me anything, do I have to meet some stat requirements?

Atruvius

Yup. Buy a Dualshock 3. I had that same problem with my 360 controller but not with my DS3 controller.

Mogwai

I've finally fired up the game on my PC. But...

I'm getting a sound delay (~1s). I'm running the game on my onboard sound driver. Is there somewhere in the setup file I can change the sound options as it's not possible to do anything in game?

So this game blew me away so much I am considering repurchasing a PS3 for Demon Souls and well... The Last of Us. I am sure this has been discussed but I get a serious "mature 3D Zelda vibe with RPG elements" from this game... basically a recipe for incredible gaming experiences, which Dark Souls is.

Isn't that for his apprentice? I have 11 FAI and 12 INT, the apprentice I freed
from a locked house in Undead Burg
sells me the spells, but not the Master I freed
in Sen's Fortress
Oh right, I thought by black sorcerer you meant Griggs. It's 15 for Logan.

I get this too. Thought it was just me not pushing hard enough constantly having not used the 360 pad in a while. It's annoying as hell.

So this game blew me away so much I am considering repurchasing a PS3 for Demon Souls and well... The Last of Us. I am sure this has been discussed but I get a serious "mature 3D Zelda vibe with RPG elements" from this game... basically a recipe for incredible gaming experiences, which Dark Souls is.

Hm...I always got more of an RPG heavy Metroidvania vibe from the game. Beyond the fantasy setting, it never felt like Zelda to me at all.

Sullichin

This happens with one of my 360 controllers and in other games too. They just have really crappy build quality.

Grampasso

Well, fuck the high ledges in this game, why do they have to put cheap ways to make you die? The camera moves on its own when you're carefully minding your steps fucking everything up. That's just stupid.

Soodanim

I always wonder about the outcome when people say they want a PS3 for Demon's. I seem to be in a minority here on GAF, but I prefer Dark, and I consider Demon's to be very hard mode. There are a number of enemies that have the approach of "Blocking? What's that lol die" and I still think some of the bosses take the piss, especially given what it takes to even get to the bosses in the first place.

Mogwai

I always wonder about the outcome when people say they want a PS3 for Demon's. I seem to be in a minority here on GAF, but I prefer Dark, and I consider Demon's to be very hard mode. There are a number of enemies that have the approach of "Blocking? What's that lol die" and I still think some of the bosses take the piss, especially given what it takes to even get to the bosses in the first place.

I reacquired myself a PS3 some months ago, partly to play Demon's Souls. I've made it halfway the game so far, but it just doesn't click for me in that OMG-this-is-so-awesome way that Dark Souls did. Having played Dark Souls, I just can't stop looking at Demon's as a prototype. I might sink my claws deeper into Demon's once Dark Souls get boring. But so far I've not felt the urge to see Demon's to the end.

Grampasso

So for the first time I ragequit the game.
In
Anor Londo, the section with the 2 sniper knights. Seriously fuck this shit. I can't believe the only ways to do this part is with an item you probably don't have at this point in the game (the Black Bow of Pharis due to its range) or having to approach the one on the right until he melees (and the other one supposedly should be covered by the pillars), then going back so the right one falls to his death because he doesn't know how to turn? I had guessed the tactic but it felt so dumb I went to check on a faq... and it's actually how you're supposed to do it? I just don't want to believe you have to rely on something like this.

Not to mention the entire section is completely bugged in various ways:
-The bridge connecting the platform with the 3 demons with the one with the 2 demons randomly HURTS you. WTF? The first time I died this way and thought something had hit me, but in several tries later I saw my life going down simply like that while I was walking on it, no character being hit animation or such (so you often doesn't even notice it).
- The left sniper knight sometimes is able to make his arrows fly THROUGH the pillars that are supposed to cover you.
- The right one on a random basis decides to continue to use his arrows even if you're quite near.
- Blocking the arrows on the right ledge makes your character go back but since you're most likely blocking at an angle that makes you somehow "look" at the wall (I walk diagonally hugging the wall to avoid falling) then you are pushed FAR from it even if it doesn't make sense at all, the direction the arrows come from should actually push you TOWARD the wall. This often makes you fall.

This is fucking stupid and cheap.

Top Bottom