• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Booshka

So for the first time I ragequit the game.
In
Anor Londo, the section with the 2 sniper knights. Seriously fuck this shit. I can't believe the only ways to do this part is with an item you probably don't have at this point in the game (the Black Bow of Pharis due to its range) or having to approach the one on the right until he melees (and the other one supposedly should be covered by the pillars), then going back so the right one falls to his death because he doesn't know how to turn? I had guessed the tactic but it felt so dumb I went to check on a faq... and it's actually how you're supposed to do it? I just don't want to believe you have to rely on something like this.

Not to mention the entire section is completely bugged in various ways:
-The bridge connecting the platform with the 3 demons with the one with the 2 demons randomly HURTS you. WTF? The first time I died this way and thought something had hit me, but in several tries later I saw my life going down simply like that while I was walking on it, no character being hit animation or such (so you often doesn't even notice it).
- The left sniper knight sometimes is able to make his arrows fly THROUGH the pillars that are supposed to cover you.
- The right one on a random basis decides to continue to use his arrows even if you're quite near.
- Blocking the arrows on the right ledge makes your character go back but since you're most likely blocking at an angle that makes you somehow "look" at the wall (I walk diagonally hugging the wall to avoid falling) then you are pushed FAR from it even if it doesn't make sense at all, the direction the arrows come from should actually push you TOWARD the wall. This often makes you fall.

This is fucking stupid and cheap.

Rush the right one, roll under arrows, parry/riposte, block until it falls off, or just attack it dead. Keep trying until you get it, cuz that's the best way to do it.

Booshka

Yes I get it but it's still stupid, it doesn't feel right.

That's just Souls jank that you have to get used to. Clipping, inconsistent level geometry, random AI, wonky camera, on and on. It's just part of the series, but it's worth getting used to, and learning to exploit in some cases to enjoy the games as a whole.

Grampasso

That's just Souls jank that you have to get used to. Clipping, inconsistent level geometry, random AI, wonky camera, on and on. It's just part of the series, but it's worth getting used to, and learning to exploit in some cases to enjoy the games as a whole.
That sounds like the way you have to get "used" to the lack of a 2nd stick to MH on PSP :D

Grampasso

So managed to clear that part (glad I'll never have to do it again... at least for this playthrough :p) I arrived to
Ornstein and Smough
. I heard a lot of bad things about those two. Just tried them three times before calling it for today, but they don't seem that difficult. On my 3rd try I managed to bring
Ornstein
down to 33%. Basically
have both of them always in view range, focus on Ornstein since he's much more mobile and will usually catch you faster than Smough, wait for his opening, run when Smough catches up, use pillar to put space between you and fatty. Does it become more difficult after one of the 2 dies?

Does it become more difficult after one of the 2 dies?
Whoever is left goes super-sized with a shiny new full healthbar.

BTW think about who you kill last - because it will be their armour you can buy and who's soul you get (to make their weapon from).
And in the case of Ornstein also he drops an extra ring.

Grampasso

Whoever is left goes super-sized with a shiny new full healthbar.

BTW think about who you kill last - because it will be their armour you can buy and who's soul you get (to make their weapon from).
And in the case of Ornstein also he drops an extra ring.

So I should try killing
Smough
first. That make things a bit tougher than anticipated but I'll try to find his openings tomorrow and if I can't make it I'll just go back killing
Ornstein
first. Thanks for the tip.

Or I could just
snipe Smough to death when in safe distance since my bow is +10 and I have 32 DEX

Hzoltan69

I wanted to summon someone yesterday for the Artorias fight, but didn't find any signs. Could it be a level problem (I'm currently SL65) or there are simply not enough people playing the DLC content?

Gvaz

Banned
They're probably done now, like I am.

Also you're using DSCFix right?

Artorias is so much fun, i wish the whole game had fights like that.

So how the hell do you beat
OP Ornstein
as a melee XD? He manages to stab me even if I stand right under him

Give him plenty of space, dodge any projectiles, when he readies his skewer/impaling attack don't try to dodge it just move back out of range.

You definitely want fast roll for the fight, a weapon that has good range and is fast (great scythe is perfect, spears or halberd are good) is ideal

Grampasso

Give him plenty of space, dodge any projectiles, when he readies his skewer/impaling attack don't try to dodge it just move back out of range.

You definitely want fast roll for the fight, a weapon that has good range and is fast (great scythe is perfect, spears or halberd are good) is ideal

Well... he decided to stand still from the distance and continue spamming his lightnings while I was safe behind a broken pillar spamming darts... so far so good ^^;

Grampasso

I advanced a bit more on the story and beat
Sif
. I was amazed at how easy was this fight, the only reason I died on the first try was due to overconfidence, so I throw an arrow I shouldn't have to :D. On the first try he just ht me twice and only because I found myself blocked by the stone slab at the center of the area. My bow did very well against him but I imagine a pure melee would be in serious difficulty just to hit him with all those jumps.
Speaking of weapons, I've brought to +10 all my preferred weapon but now it's been a while and I'm unsure about how to continue upgrading. Do I find some ember that will allow for further upgrading?
Found the Dark Ember in the painting world but I've yet to bring it to the BS
As suggested I'm going for a quality build, currently 26 STR - 35 DEX. I see that if I evolve the weapons it's not exactly an "increase", it's more like a trade for some stats instead of others and given my piss poor magic ones I don't think it would be wise before investing some points in MAG and FAI.

Speaking of weapons, I've brought to +10 all my preferred weapon but now it's been a while and I'm unsure about how to continue upgrading. Do I find some ember that will allow for further upgrading?
The very large ember is found in New Londo Ruins. Same deal, take it to Andre for him to ascend +10 to +11, then he or you can do the rest up to +15.

Grampasso

The very large ember is found in New Londo Ruins. Same deal, take it to Andre for him to ascend +10 to +11, then he or you can do the rest up to +15.
Eheh thx, just found it! BTW I've got just 1
Titanite Slab
for the +15 upgrade. Is it a one per playthrough item? It was from the boss in the
Undead Asylum
if I remember well

Booshka

Eheh thx, just found it! BTW I've got just 1
Titanite Slab
for the +15 upgrade. Is it a one per playthrough item? It was from the boss in the
Undead Asylum
if I remember well

1 in DLC as well, and there is a quest line in the Main game that has one as a reward. 3 Guaranteed per playthrough if you do it right, then there is Darkwraith farming and Crystal Lizards in Great Hollow can drop them too. I usually get about 5 or 6 per playthrough with minimal Darkwraith farming.

Grampasso

Thx as usual for the info :D
I was amazed when
I opened the floodgate discovering the connection with VoD. BTW... those blue drakes should have been dead for the flood :p
All in all, I'm really impressed at the map planning of the game. The only other game capable of doing this consistently (but I'm used to it because it's in all the latest entries of the series) is Legend of Zelda.
How all the sections are intertwined despite being apparently completely separated at the beginning,
even without the warp
it's relatively fast reaching any point from whatever place thanks to all the shortcuts you open during the playthrough.

LogicStep

I started playing during the weekend. I was going to make a dex build but I was using the 2h sword you can get at the start in the graveyard. It was really fun fighting like that, having to time my attacks and they felt so weighty and awesome. I've never played a str build so any tips welcome! If I can keep going with my current character then great, if not I'll restart. I have 16 str and like 12 dex. I don't want to waste stats so let me know if I should redo it.

I was venturing in the depths, killed that rat, killed a bunch of mobs, fell in a hole where I was greeted by like 3 or 4 of those curse dudes. Yeah I got cursed. Had to go back out, I arrive at the vendor to buy a cleanser and I don't have the souls. Had to go farm for a bit and use my hero souls to buy one and get cleansed. Then I went back down and rested at the bonfire.

This game rocks.

Grampasso

I started playing during the weekend. I was going to make a dex build but I was using the 2h sword you can get at the start in the graveyard. It was really fun fighting like that, having to time my attacks and they felt so weighty and awesome. I've never played a str build so any tips welcome! If I can keep going with my current character then great, if not I'll restart. I have 16 str and like 12 dex. I don't want to waste stats so let me know if I should redo it.

I was venturing in the depths, killed that rat, killed a bunch of mobs, fell in a hole where I was greeted by like 3 or 4 of those curse dudes. Yeah I got cursed. Had to go back out, I arrive at the vendor to buy a cleanser and I don't have the souls. Had to go farm for a bit and use my hero souls to buy one and get cleansed. Then I went back down and rested at the bonfire.

This game rocks.
When you meet the curse frogs just avoid panicking, keep the distance enough to avoid their curse spray, for what I know they don't do anything else (never received a direct attack from them, maybe they're just awfully slow at attacking). I managed to pass that part without ever being cursed just staying at safe distance and attacking accordingly.

LogicStep

When you meet the curse frogs just avoid panicking, keep the distance enough to avoid their curse spray, for what I know they don't do anything else (never received a direct attack from them, maybe they're just awfully slow at attacking). I managed to pass that part without ever being cursed just staying at safe distance and attacking accordingly.

Yeah, I've only been cursed a handful of times. I guess it happened since it's been a while since I played the game.

I was thinking on going something like a str build using 2h weapons with a shield or 2h depending on the situation. That with a mix of magic and pyro for buffs. Does that sound like a good build?

Grampasso

Yeah, I've only been cursed a handful of times. I guess it happened since it's been a while since I played the game.

I was thinking on going something like a str build using 2h weapons with a shield or 2h depending on the situation. That with a mix of magic and pyro for buffs. Does that sound like a good build?
I suppose that should be ok ignoring DEX, and obviously 40 VIT and END, but I'm sure there are people much more into stats than me here!

LogicStep

I suppose that should be ok ignoring DEX, and obviously 40 VIT and END, but I'm sure there are people much more into stats than me here!

Probably something like 40 str, 40 end, 40 intelligence, 12/14/16 atn and that's it I think.

Does no1 here play a str build? It seems dex builds are more popular.

Wok

Probably something like 40 str, 40 end, 40 intelligence, 12/14/16 atn and that's it I think.

I have upgraded STR (two-handed long sword if necessary, otherwise sword+shield) and DEX (the bow was really useful for a few ennemies and bosses). Later in the game, I have upgraded STAMINA, and only recently, intelligence and faith for the spells. It is quite strong.

Under what circumstances would Lautrec still be at Firelink after ringing the Blighttown bell? o_O

I've done this dozens of times - Blighttown bell is always the first bell I ring, and every time when I arrive back at Firelink, I pick up the firekeepers' gear - but not this time.

edit - ok I hadn't picked up the Firekeepers soul in BT, I guess that is actually the trigger(?)

Sullichin

Under what circumstances would Lautrec still be at Firelink after ringing the Blighttown bell? o_O

I've done this dozens of times - Blighttown bell is always the first bell I ring, and every time when I arrive back at Firelink, I pick up the firekeepers' gear - but not this time.

edit - ok I hadn't picked up the Firekeepers soul in BT, I guess that is actually the trigger(?)

You sure that you actually rang the bell down there and didn't just kill Quelaag?
Almost positive it being tied to the firekeeper soul in BT is FUD.

You sure that you actually rang the bell down there and didn't just kill Quelaag?
Almost positive it being tied to the firekeeper soul in BT is FUD.
Yeah, I rang the bell because now I'm in Sen's. It was definately picking up the Firekeeper's soul that did it.

I guess I just forgot to grab the soul, I usually do it before ringing the bell. Not the first time I've had a case of NPC oddity!

Bulk_Rate

How's the PC scene in terms of active players? I notice that on Steam DS has been holding at 4000-6000 players lately, vs. only 2000 or so a few months back, which is promising but not sure how that manifests itself in terms of summons and invasions.

On PC, I gave up on my NG+ playthrough because I could not find any summons to help with 4 Kings so just curious if the PC "scene" has picked up recently.

How's the PC scene in terms of active players? I notice that on Steam DS has been holding at 4000-6000 players lately, vs. only 2000 or so a few months back, which is promising but not sure how that manifests itself in terms of summons and invasions.

On PC, I gave up on my NG+ playthrough because I could not find any summons to help with 4 Kings so just curious if the PC "scene" has picked up recently.

I've had quite a bit of luck with PVP and co-op lately. Connections are still janky, but there seems to be enough people playing that you can still get a connection. Also, if you've got friends playing, using the DSCFix makes summoning way easy.

I could help you out with your NG+ 4 Kings if you'd like. What SL are you?

Booshka

My favorite builds are Pure Strength and Quality builds. I put a lot of time into Dex Pyro and Dex Int over a year ago. Strength has always been more fun to me, and Quality builds are just the perfect way to play Dark Souls in my opinion, you can use literally any weapon and deal consistently high damage.

Large Club and Demon Great Machete are my favorite STR weapons, I have a couple STR Tank characters that have both equipped, fat rolling with huge armor, those two weapons and a Stone Greatshield, throw in a Crossbow for a little ranged attack as well. I do surprisingly well in PvP, and it's a refreshing way to play.

Sullichin

Yeah, I rang the bell because now I'm in Sen's. It was definately picking up the Firekeeper's soul that did it.

I guess I just forgot to grab the soul, I usually do it before ringing the bell. Not the first time I've had a case of NPC oddity!

He definitely can still fuck up Anastacia's day even if you don't pick up the firekeeper soul. I almost never pick up that firekeeper soul anymore, or at least not until later, and she still dies.

+1 to Booshka's thought that quality builds are the best way to get the "most bang from your buck" from one PVP character.
SL120, 40STR,40DEX, 40END, with the rest in VIT is my favorite build by far.

If not quality, I prefer strength weapons as well. my S70 Black Knight character is really fun to play as, and the clubs are fun too

Bulk_Rate

I've had quite a bit of luck with PVP and co-op lately. Connections are still janky, but there seems to be enough people playing that you can still get a connection. Also, if you've got friends playing, using the DSCFix makes summoning way easy.

I could help you out with your NG+ 4 Kings if you'd like. What SL are you?

Thanks - SL81 right now, just ran out of patience with 4Kingz a while back. I got invaded in NL Ruins far more often than I spotted summon signs.

Grampasso

Thanks - SL81 right now, just ran out of patience with 4Kingz a while back. I got invaded in NL Ruins far more often than I spotted summon signs.
Beat them yesterday on 2nd attempt. Don't know how is your build, but with a quality one at lv 79 they were so easy I was surprised.
Have Covenant of Artorias + MAG DEF ring equipped, run up the first, a shield with high MAG DEF (the green one, don't remember the name, or Crest Shield).
2H and slash like mad (I found light slashes to be more efficient, way faster, less stamina depleting and doing nearly 75% of heavy slashes), don't even try to block them, for some reason when you're right next to them and they hit you they do very little dmg. I guess they don't hit you with the blade of the sword but with the hilt instead. Whatever.
The only things you have to be aware of are the magic explosion and the grab. From the grab you can roll away once you learn to recognize it (but I never bothered anyway TBH), the magic explosion has a few seconds of preparation so you have all the time to switch to 1H and block to minimize dmg. If they do the ranged attack (the magic homing bullet) block it with your shield.
The key factor is offense, you need to do enough dmg so there are never 2 at a time. Keep your health above 50%. Other than that they are really easy. I beat them with 7 flasks remaining. The real pain is you have to find the most efficient way to reach them since there is no bonfire in New Londo. The best one I found is from the Firelink Shrine, go down for the normal route, kill the first 2 ghosts, go up the stairs, kill the new ghost in that opening and now instead of proceding normally on the bridge reach for the corner with an urn. From there you can drop off to the opening with the shallow water and a skull knight. After that dash through the building leading to the passage connecting with the boss area. If you sprint as soon as you enter the building you'll most likely totally avoid the dmg from the ghost waiting in ambush on the left and the 2 skull knights hiding in the dark, just be sure to never stop and continue sprinting outside and up to the white fog.
As soon as you enter the boss area follow down some steps because enemies can still hit you from the other side of the fog. If done right you just have to kill 3 ghosts and a skull knight without taking unnecessary dmg
Woops sorry didn't notice it's NG+, I suppose you know everything far better than me then :D

Neolith

just got my plat in dark souls and moved on to demon's souls. Is it it me or is demon's souls a much harder game than dark souls?

just got my plat in dark souls and moved on to demon's souls. Is it it me or is demon's souls a much harder game than dark souls?

To some extent it is harder, although certain abilities and items make it a breeze once you have them.

Overall it is certainly less forgiving of mistakes. You can easily lose a lot of progress in longer levels, especially through sudden falls.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah, it is. More fair and more fun as well.

Grampasso

How do I get access to the additional content? From what I understand it's already integrated in the game, is it something unlocked when you complete the normal content or are there new areas directly accessible? It doesn't seem I've found anything like that

How do I get access to the additional content? From what I understand it's already integrated in the game, is it something unlocked when you complete the normal content or are there new areas directly accessible? It doesn't seem I've found anything like that
Have you rescued Dusk? If not...

1. Kill the Darkroot Basin Hydra, reload.
2. kill the Golem in the alcove around the corner from the Hydra, careful, an NPC is inside it and drops out when you kill it. Speak to Dusk answering yes
3. Summon her from her summon sign near where the Knights armour was the otherside of the Basin. (some say this is not necessary, do it anyway she sells spells)
4. Kill the golem at the start of the Dukes Archives. It drops a broken pendant.
5. Go back to where you rescued Dusk, touch the big black swirly thing.
Voila!

Dascu

Posted?

1375809227-dark-souls-isometric-pixel-art-demake-screen.png
Found this online. No idea who made it.

LogicStep

Question about Lautrec,
so my first time through I didn't kill him and fought him on that special event in Anor Londo. That was cool as hell but at the same time it was annoying not having the firelink shrine. Are there benefits to killing him now that I have the chance before he fucks things up for me?

Mogwai

Question about Lautrec,
so my first time through I didn't kill him and fought him on that special event in Anor Londo. That was cool as hell but at the same time it was annoying not having the firelink shrine. Are there benefits to killing him now that I have the chance before he fucks things up for me?
He won't murder the fire keeper and thus keep the Firelink bonfire lit. On the other hand, you can't summon him for gargoyles or gaping dragon. I would just finish him off. Not worth the trouble.

Grampasso

Have you rescued Dusk? If not...

1. Kill the Darkroot Basin Hydra, reload.
2. kill the Golem in the alcove around the corner from the Hydra, careful, an NPC is inside it and drops out when you kill it. Speak to Dusk answering yes
3. Summon her from her summon sign near where the Knights armour was the otherside of the Basin. (some say this is not necessary, do it anyway she sells spells)
4. Kill the golem at the start of the Dukes Archives. It drops a broken pendant.
5. Go back to where you rescued Dusk, touch the big black swirly thing.
Voila!
Lol seriously you have to do all that? :D And what soul level are you supposed to do it at?
I killed the Hydra but I don't understand where this golem is supposed to be? BTW now that you mentioned I never went back there after killing the boss so it could have appeared after

Question about Lautrec,

If I recall correctly, the only way to get his armor is to do his event.

LogicStep

I killed him, I don't really care for the armor. If I go for the achievements I think I'll do it in a NG+.

Why the hell don't I have my orange soapstone? I killed the merchant for the uchigatana. He didn't drop it. Where do I get one?

Edit: so what's going on? Every single time I've been invaded the guys 2 or 3 shot me and I do barely any damage to them. And I don't see many summon signs :( I'm level 31 starting Blighttown.

I like messing around with NPCs - getting enemies to kill them will usually mean they don't aggro (getting the fire-breathing things to kill Shiva for example), well I sometimes get the undead soldiers to kill the Crestfallen Merchant too, but this time I lured him down to the lift down to New Londo - and even if the lift is down he won't go down the shaft. I tried hitting, kicking and backstabbing and it acts the same way as when you walk into the liftshafts when they're up in Anor Londo. Lame, I wanted to send him plummeting to his death in New Londo! :/

Lol seriously you have to do all that? :D And what soul level are you supposed to do it at?
I killed the Hydra but I don't understand where this golem is supposed to be? BTW now that you mentioned I never went back there after killing the boss so it could have appeared after
Golem is in an alcove, same side as the waterfall and ladder up, just further past them.

Sentenza

Edit: so what's going on? Every single time I've been invaded the guys 2 or 3 shot me and I do barely any damage to them.
Mh, that's not particularly strange, actually. Any character with a good PVP build (maxed weapon, a couple of decent buffs and so on) can pretty much kill another player in 2 or 3 good hits.

Not doing decent damage to them, on the other hand... It could be that they are cheaters OR you're doing something terribly wrong with your build.
If your weapon isn't *at least* a +10 standard/+5 elemental at that point, for instance, you are clearly in a bad spot for PVP.

When it comes to "but they are too strong for their level!" it's also worth noting that this is a game a lot of people try to complete at SL1. Level range is meaningless in relation to how well equipped they are.

Third time through the game (second time through the DLC content) and man, it's like a whole new experience.

This is the first time I've dabbled in PvP and made a build with that in mind; sure, I'm a fast moving, Havel-armour-wearing douche with a buffed Great Scythe and my win/loss record is probably at a woeful 7/5000, but I'm getting better; I'm learning from my mistakes.

As for PvE, dat Artorias fight... I went in thinking I'd have him first time and lo and behold, I totally did - until he spewed bubbles at me mid-killing blow and stunlocked me to death. I was thoroughly impressed. It only took me a few more attempts ultimately, but it was still so goddamn epic. Such a great boss fight.

And dat Abyss Greatsword! Totally useless for PvP, but upgraded and with humanity scaling, it's quite the beast. And it looks amazing. And the two-handed R2 is just... Well, enough said.

Christ, this game is incredible.

Top Bottom