• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darktide : Unlocked and Loaded

STARSBarry

Gold Member

New Darktide update is finally out (and has been for a few days, iv just been having fun with it so forgot to post)

Finally this game has gone from "wait and see" to recommend, thanks to the itemisation overhaul. The old reward and drop system is still there, sort of, but it now works in tandem with the new overhauled crafting which makes perfecting these weapons much easier and guaranteed so long as you put enough time into the game vs the old Pure RNG ontop of RNG.

With the PS5 version getting rated in Asia and the games 2nd anniversary coming up this October, if you haven't taken the plunge and tried this on Gamepass, well worth a look now. Those on PS5 should be looking at this on its inevitable launch during that period.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Most importantly, has performance been fixed?
The optimization was non-existent when it was released. And even for many months after.

EDIT: I went on the Steam forums, and people are saying that performance is still terrible. Some even say it's worse now.
Screw that. If the devs can't be bothered to fix their game, then I can't be bothered to buy and play it.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Most importantly, has performance been fixed?
The optimization was non-existent when it was released. And even for many months after.

EDIT: I went on the Steam forums, and people are saying that performance is still terrible. Some even say it's worse now.
Screw that. If the devs can't be bothered to fix their game, then I can't be bothered to buy and play it.

So this is the funniest shit ever (at least for me) the latest update included FSR 3.1 but they turned it on by defualt when you start the game. What makes this funny is that most people are now using an RTX card and DLSS, so if you have both on the performance absolutely tanks until you turn one or the other off, naturally for the majority of people with Geforce cards this would be FSR they don't want.

So people who don't check their options are having real issues hence the performance drop claims.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
So this is the funniest shit ever (at least for me) the latest update included FSR 3.1 but they turned it on by defualt when you start the game. What makes this funny is that most people are now using an RTX card and DLSS, so if you have both on the performance absolutely tanks until you turn one or the other off, naturally for the majority of people with Geforce cards this would be FSR they don't want.

So people who don't check their options are having real issues hence the performance drop claims.

But FSR .1 doesn't reduce performance. It's usually a few fps away from DLSS, even in RTX cards.
It just doesn't have the same quality as DLSS. So it's preferable to use DLSS if you can.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Is it more optimized now on PC? I played this during launch month and it ran pretty badly. Not played since then
Absolutely. I played it very close to release and had to turn everything down to low or mid to get acceptable performance.
Now I'm running everything on mid or high, and additionally with raytracing and the game is VERY smooth.

I do sometimes get a single frame drop for a second, but only in the hub area not during missions, so I suspect that is network-related.

What a pretty game, really. Shame you are usually under so much stress that you have no time to appreciate the architecture...

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
But FSR .1 doesn't reduce performance. It's usually a few fps away from DLSS, even in RTX cards.
It just doesn't have the same quality as DLSS. So it's preferable to use DLSS if you can.

I am no expert but I believe that the issue is both tools need to produce a native image that is then used by both, because this is effectively a glitch (you cant switch FSR back on if DLSS is already on, its only because they turned it on by default even when DLSS was already on prior due to the update that this happens) My assumption is that instead of DLSS getting the image and then pushing it to FSR, both programs are asking for its own separate native image and using that and then displaying one of them (I assume FSR's) but this double native generation is effectively asking for 2x the game instance, so the performance tanks. All I can say is after the update the game ran AWFUL! I turned off FSR 3.1 because I figured that was the issue when I saw patch notes and noticed it was on and performance went back to 90+ frames.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I am no expert but I believe that the issue is both tools need to produce a native image that is then used by both, because this is effectively a glitch (you cant switch FSR back on if DLSS is already on, its only because they turned it on by default even when DLSS was already on prior due to the update that this happens) My assumption is that instead of DLSS getting the image and then pushing it to FSR, both programs are asking for its own separate native image and using that and then displaying one of them (I assume FSR's) but this double native generation is effectively asking for 2x the game instance, so the performance tanks. All I can say is after the update the game ran AWFUL! I turned off FSR 3.1 because I figured that was the issue when I saw patch notes and noticed it was on and performance went back to 90+ frames.

That is not how it works.
Whether you choose FSR, DLSS or XeSS, they run separate from each other. Each has their own dlls and their own code.
What they have in common is that, because they are temporal upscalers, they require access to Motion Vectors, Colour buffers and Depth buffers.
So the dev has to expose these in their game. Then each upscaler can read from them and to their magic.
But they don't interfere with each other.

Your problem was that maybe, with FSR3, it also auto enabled Frame Generation and that caused frame pacing issues for your system.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
That is not how it works.
Whether you choose FSR, DLSS or XeSS, they run separate from each other. Each has their own dlls and their own code.
What they have in common is that, because they are temporal upscalers, they require access to Motion Vectors, Colour buffers and Depth buffers.
So the dev has to expose these in their game. Then each upscaler can read from them and to their magic.
But they don't interfere with each other.

Your problem was that maybe, with FSR3, it also auto enabled Frame Generation and that caused frame pacing issues for your system.

whatever the case the performance was sub 30 and turning it off bumps it up to 90+, but that's the performance issue with Darktide as of this patch, prior to that it was alright, it was not anywhere as bad as it was at launch, they had to make it run on series S after all.

Paltheos

I played a little of this with my friends this week. Can't say I noticed performance issues on my relatively old PC (I'm still running a base 1080) but I'm also not the type to crank up the settings.

We had a lot of fun. Still figuring out the new game systems, but they seem more friendly than Vermintide 2's at this point.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It's super good now, gave it a good 5 hour session, what an upgrade to loot systems and just the feeling of progression overall: nice work Fatshark!!

Too busy with Rogue Trader and Space Marine 2 to put heaps of time in, but seems to be playing better too: trialed it on my hoopdy office PC, well worn 3080, going guns now vs near launch lurking in the bad fps and stutters.

Still looks stunning on a 4090, like breathtaking, nothing seems to be broken, just fixes on this one it seems!

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I've been salivating over this game for a good few years now, in fact, It was one of the reasons why I got a series x back in November 2020...

Can't wait for it on the PS5 but...after Space marine 2 and its awful performance...can't say that I'm expecting it to run all that well with the myriad of on-screen enemies.

How does it run on the XSX ? Does it have a performance mode ?

STARSBarry

Gold Member

just to note Darktide is currently 50% off, this is important because the game is now at that point where I would say "its good enough to give a go without a discount"

still no word on the PS5 release despite it being October and soon approaching the 2nd anniversary in November, I wonder if they plan to shadow drop it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom