• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dassey release ordered in 'Making a Murderer' case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

For people who watched 'Making a murderer' like me and felt heartbroken about brendan dassey, some fantastic news!

MILWAUKEE — The federal judge who overturned the conviction of Brendan Dassey in the case made famous by Making A Murderer ordered Monday that Dassey be freed from prison, under supervision, pending further court developments.

U.S. District Judge William Duffin issued the order.

Dassey, 27, has been in prison since being sentenced in 2007 to life in the 2005 murder of Teresa Halbach, a 25-year-old photographer from St. John, Wis. Dassey's uncle, Steven Avery, also is serving a life sentence in the Manitowoc County murder.

More at link

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/14/brendan-dassey-ordered-released/93804596/

Solo

Man, if he and Avery BOTH get out, S2 will be amazing.

Great news for him. It's absolutely disgusting that he was ever put in prison.

Boney

Banned
I hope he sues for the most bullshit conviction ever and bankrupts all those dirty fuckers.

And hopefully he doesn't get framed for murder while doing so.

LQX

From the documentary he seemed to be very impressionable and I wonder if prison has changed him for the worse. I think his uncle is guilty as fuck though.

Thank god. Now sue them as much as you can. He got screwed so hard by people who think are supposed to be on your side.

Can't believe it took 11 years for the system to realize how poorly he was treated during that investigation.

From the documentary he seemed to be very impressionable and I wonder if prison has changed him for the worse. I think his uncle is guilty as fuck though.

He was impressionable because of his intellectual disability. The kid had no other behavioral issues outside of that. I doubt he would have been corrupted in prison.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

As time has gone on after watching MaM and I think about it more and have read a little more from other sources it definitely feels like Avery did it. He clearly shouldn't be in jail though going by all accounts of how the investigation and trial went, but end of the day odds are he killed her. Though probably not at all like how they say he did.

He has clear mental development issues, which makes the whole thing even that much more depressing.

Can't believe it took 11 years for the system to realize how poorly he was treated during that investigation.

It's only cause of the publicity. Just think how many people (especially minorities) who get fucked by the legal system and don't have a popular documentary made about them. It's why innocent until proven guilty is such a sacred ideal to uphold. For every 90 out of 100 who are obviously guilty and are condemned in the court of public opinion, just imagine being those other people who are wrongly convicted. That is the worst fate imaginable.

norm9

I hope he sues for the most bullshit conviction ever and bankrupts all those dirty fuckers.

And hopefully he doesn't get framed for murder while doing so.

This is exactly what will happen.

As time has gone on after watching MaM and I think about it more and have read a little more from other sources it definitely feels like Avery did it. He clearly shouldn't be in jail though going by all accounts of how the investigation and trial went, but end of the day odds are he killed her. Though probably not at all like how they say he did.

Whether he really did it or not doesn't excuse the travesty of a trial. That simple fact alone should have him out of prison. Prosecutors need to do it the right way.

Lkr

He's gonna go home and be shocked that the president elect is on that wrestlemania tape his mom has waiting for him

kunonabi

Very pleased to see him released. Hopefully, he can move somewhere safe with his mother and start enjoying life again.

Betty

Banned
Thank god, I haven't seen anything about his story that had any actual proof of happening so this seems deserved.

Boney

Banned
This is really good to see. Feelings on Avery aside, I feel that Dassey truly was a victim of the system.
This isn't a "feeling". His laywer was actively acting against his self interest. His rights were violated by interrogating him alone, a legally mentally retarded person. Conviction on a 100% false confession without any ground on reality.

And every piece of evidence with Avery was either planted for sure or very unusual characteristics tied to it. The only actual link are the bones remains on his backyard, which is still odd that they were burned in different places and never using the welder he had. And with the way it was closed off, there's a good possibility of someone digging the remains there.

styl3s

Someone get him Wrestlemania tickets please
He's already going according to another thread made when the overturned decision happened.

Aug 22nd 2016
We are pleased that we can make this young man's dream of going to Wrestlemania come true," said Alex Hawkins, spokesman for xHamster, in a statement. "We have been in talks with the family and they are more than thrilled that Brendan will get this opportunity after so many years of heartache and injustice. We are waiting on a response from Brendan and we know he will be thrilled that he is going to Wrestlemania when he gets out."

Kill3r7

But he confessed! To rape and then murder in the bedroom. And then murder in the garage.

Anyone who saw the documentary and read up on other evidence would tell you that Brendan lacked capacity. His confession should have been deemed inadmissible.

Betty

Banned
But he confessed! To rape and then murder in the bedroom. And then murder in the garage.

I don't know if you're joking but none of his DNA or Halbach's DNA was found in the bedroom, and between her supposed assault/having her throat slit/being carried through the carpeted house, there should be some DNA and there isn't.

Fact is nothing puts Dassey in the house whenever Teresa may have been there.

LifEndz

Broke my heart when he was on the phone with his mother, who was screaming at him why did he confess, and he cried they got in his head. Glad he's out. What a travesty of "Justice." Fuck that prosecutor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom