• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dassey release ordered in 'Making a Murderer' case

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There's this
https://twitter.com/ZellnerLaw/status/798280952636211200
Our bet is that Brendan Dassey will be at his family's Thanksgiving table no matter what Wisc. AG files.

Crazy it's almost 3 years to the day Ryan Ferguson got released (another Zellner client) too. You should try and catch "Unlocking The Truth" on MTV. Ryan tries to help other wrongfully convicted people get out of jail. Zellner makes a few appearances too.

Dirca

I hope he sues for the most bullshit conviction ever and bankrupts all those dirty fuckers.

And hopefully he doesn't get framed for murder while doing so.
No, he needs to put this behind him and move the fuck outta dodge before they get him on some other bullshit charge
You got to pick your battles and trying to sue will be a losing one for him.

Smellycat

I didn't watch the full documentary but the interrogation was pure bullshit. They were leading him and basically telling him what to say, and Dassey was so impressionable that he kept coming up with ways a person COULD die, not necessarily how the murder went down. The worst part was when they kept pressing him and asking "what else... what else" and he couldn't think of anything else to make up. They needed him to mention the gun and the shooting but he never did, so they had to ask him "what about the gun?"

Dirca

With the amount of attention on it all, this seems like the right battle to pick if anything.

He deserves whatever money he can walk away with from this. They took years of his life.
Eh, I don't know. If he's offered some type of settlement, he should take it and run. I know we didn't see the full story, but everyone seemed to really have it out for that family. I'd cut my losses and start a new life under a new name far away

Good news, everyone: The judge denied the state's motion and Dassey is going home no later than Friday. The state is still appealing to a higher court, but for now, he can go home. YES

http://www.tmz.com/2016/11/16/making-a-murderer-brendan-dassey-prison-release/

I hope, at the very least, his family was able to move out of that town. It's a tall order for anyone without much money, but I think it'd be best for them all.

Nice all he needs to do is stay home. Do not go out and don't do anything crazy.

But all this basically happened at his home. (If I remember right, he lived a block or so away from the alleged murder site.)

Avery not being able to sue the fuck out of the state was one of the most frustrating aspects of the documentary for me. I hope Dassey is able to completely ruin them in court.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I hope, at the very least, his family was able to move out of that town. It's a tall order for anyone without much money, but I think it'd be best for them all.

But all this basically happened at his home. (If I remember right, he lived a block or so away from the alleged murder site.)

I know that but he has no where else to go.

Kyou

Wouldn't the best thing for him to do be going out and being seen by a lot of alibis all the time?

Maybe just livestream yourself 24/7

Nokterian

Awesome to hear this also screw the state this kid was manipulated. It brought me to tears on how those two cops where intimidating him and reverse his words because he is simple minded.

The sucky part is that I'm 50/50 as to whether that was intentional or not because it looked like they were going for the same thing with Stephen

Like that's their shtick and they thought it worked on Brendan because of confirmation bias

Then that Len fuck came in and just shit on everything

Boney

Banned
The sucky part is that I'm 50/50 as to whether that was intentional or not because it looked like they were going for the same thing with Stephen

Like that's their shtick and they thought it worked on Brendan because of confirmation bias

Then that Len fuck came in and just shit on everything
Whatever the case, he was just a prop to throw in Avery's trial that fell apart right at the end. Then in spite of the unconstitutional questioning and invalid confession they carried a trial held with no physical evidence and with a contradicting premise from Avery's case.

Speaking of contradicting, Steven was found guilty of murder but not of mutilation. Lol wut, did it stumble onto a blender?

Apathy

Glad he's getting out, but can you imagine a kid like him with his mental capacity and inability to defend himself, how hard it must have been being inside

alr1ght

Apparently his family moved and set up his new room already.

brendan-dassey-bedroom-wm-tmz02-1.jpg

brendan-dassey-bedroom-wm-tmz03-1.jpg

New PS4 with VHS tapes.

It's fucked up; completely fucked up. Saw this thread yesterday and didn't feel the need to post, but I was like "Yay, finally Brendan gets a break". It was soul crushing watching what happened to him.

But I can't say I am surprised.

alr1ght

https://apnews.com/53aed10138184d9c...rm-'Making-a-Murderer'-confession-was-coerced
Judges affirm ‘Making a Murderer’ confession was coerced
24 minutes ago

CHICAGO (AP) — The confession of a Wisconsin inmate featured in the Netflix series “Making a Murderer” was improperly obtained and he should be released from prison, a three-judge federal appeals panel ruled Thursday.

Brendan Dassey was sentenced to life in prison in 2007 in photographer Teresa Halbach’s death on Halloween two years earlier. Dassey told detectives he helped his uncle, Steven Avery, rape and kill Halbach in the Avery family’s Manitowoc County salvage yard. Avery was sentenced to life in a separate trial.

A federal magistrate judge ruled in August that investigators coerced Dassey, who was 16 years old at the time and suffered from cognitive problems, into confessing and overturned his conviction. The state Justice Department appealed the ruling to the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, a move that kept Dassey, now 27, behind bars pending the outcome.

A three-judge panel from the Chicago-based 7th Circuit upheld the magistrate’s decision to overturn his conviction. State attorneys’ only recourse now is the U.S. Supreme Court. They could also elect to re-try Dassey.

Avery and Dassey contend they were framed by police angry with Avery for suing Manitowoc County over his wrongful conviction for sexual assault. Avery spent 18 years in prison in that case before DNA tests showed he didn’t commit the crime. He’s pursuing his own appeal in state court.

Their cases gained national attention in 2015 after Netflix aired “Making a Murderer,” a multi-part documentary looking at Halbach’s death, the ensuing investigation and trials. The series sparked widespread conjecture about the pair’s innocence and has garnered them a massive following on social media pushing for their release.

Authorities who worked on the cases insisted the documentary is biased. Ken Kratz, the prosecutor, wrote in his book “Avery” that Dassey was “a shuffling, mumbling young man with bad skin and broken-bowl haircut” who could have saved Halbach’s life but instead involved himself in her rape and murder and Avery is “by any measure of the evidence, stone guilty.”

I missed this update!! Great news! That's it right? Nothing to stop him from release now??

Edit : Missed that part about the Supreme court. Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom