• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cameron seeks cooperation of US president over encryption crackdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

Listening to him. Does this mean that even with a warrant Facebook won't give up a way to look into people's accounts?

Doesn't this in a way shift all of this power to facebook themselves, who across a generation if they stayed where they are in the world, would have the information on plots but refuse to share it because of principle and policy?

Honestly his speech couldn't be better other than ignoring the fact that in the past they must have known about someone likely to attack but didn't know the where and how, and even though they could have found out tech companies don't have a way to accept a sort of "probable cause" system.

It's sounds extremely complicated.

David however seems to want to way fuck it and the government should be able to do whatever they want. I think it would be better, perhaps, if tech companies find a way to notify users who were falsely had their privacy invaded notified. The scariest part is when it is not.

If the police came over to my flat and said "someone at this address is thought to have been in communication with a terrorist group" I am sure everyone would want to keep their shit secret but be okay with others being looked at. Well not everyone but you know...

The ability for the government to snoop without a trace is the scary part. Like, do they know the private and intimate conversations I have? The thought of someone else having read them is likely, and that's scary.

And it is scary without a warrant but also this is tackling freedom of speech and privacy. This isn't about safety it about power and abuse. The fear of becoming a police state is getting closer and that is fear is very real because they see everyone as a criminal not a citizen this limits freedom of speech and privacy as a whole.

esms

This whole "trust us, we have your best interests at heart, but everything needs to be classified" shtick really doesn't fly post-Snowden.

Izuna

Banned
And it is scary without a warrant but also this is tackling freedom of speech and privacy. This isn't about safety it about power and abuse. The fear of becoming a police state is getting closer and that is fear is very real because they see everyone as a criminal not a citizen this limits freedom of speech and privacy as a whole.

Exactly. But there has always been snooping. I say we already live in a police state (not me but the US anyway) but that there are just too many people. Now I think policing could be better with this but it affects privacy. It's pretty hard if say "we could have stopped this next 9/11 but new policies made it harder to predict". No one would be able to point the blame but there will always be questioning of the governments competency.

It's fine for all of us to say we don't need to take drastic measures to prevent crime, but that's because we haven't been affect and believe that something big is happening in our neighbourhood.

I'm glad to hear tech companies and the government are talking about ways to protect privacy and give them powers they need in certain situations. We all know that if the government controlled the internet it would have keyloggers all over the place etc. But also if tech companies had all the power then I am sure everything would be 100% locked away and we would open up to certain kinds of communication between extremists on a new level.

I think one step would be that these powers, if ever given up by the tech companies, should ONLY be used for terrorism and no other form of crime. Or well, only the very obvious ones, not like a Minority Report where the police can hear a DV complaint and use that to look at people's stuff.

This whole "trust us, we have your best interests at heart, but everything needs to be classified" shtick really doesn't fly post-Snowden.

This is freedom of speech and I honestly love this about the USA. Over here there is a good amount of "the government aren't creeps or interested in us". At least at the Uni I go to when we were given a fun discussion on the NSA and Snowden. The class debate was like they thought the MI5 would listen in and record everything they say if they said something wrong.

----

On a separate point. I totally agree and like that David put it out there that people moving over to terrorism is not solely based on their situation being vulnerable. There was a little bit of a xenophobic vibe that he didn't mention it could happen to people who weren't 2nd Generation British, but one recent terror attack was prevented and ended up on a news from a friend of an friend. They grew up like ever other kid and just chose ISIS and my friend couldn't believe someone he was in class with just a year or two ago was planning on murdering random police officers. Whatever they did to find out sounds perfectly justified when the results pop up, but since he was a friend was his entire privacy invaded by proxy?

collige

Banned
Listening to him. Does this mean that even with a warrant Facebook won't give up a way to look into people's accounts?

Doesn't this in a way shift all of this power to facebook themselves, who across a generation if they stayed where they are in the world, would have the information on plots but refuse to share it because of principle and policy?
That's not what's happening. What's happening is that messaging app like iMessage are being engineering in such a way that a users' messages are only readable once they reach the actual device and are decrypted. This means that Apple/Google/whatever can't give up useful information because they don't have it.

Izuna

Banned
That's not what's happening. What's happening is that messaging app like iMessage are being engineering in such a way that a users' messages are only readable once they reach the actual device and are decrypted. This means that Apple/Google/whatever can't give up useful information because they don't have it.

I am aware of this but "social profiles" and the way Obama talked made it sound like they were talking about facebook profiles.

This issue I have not even an imaginative suggestion for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom