• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

Aspiring

I am just wondering, does this game support the Driving Force Pro for PS3? I loved the demo on the 360 and was going to buy it just now, but figured if it did support this wheel, i would get it for PS3.

Edgeward said:
I don't know how to turn/drift properly in this game. ._.

Is it even possible on AT?

Drive in MT, it's MUCH better (and faster). With MT you are able to slam the transmission into 1st (when driving at high speed) to start off a drift, then shift back unto 3rd and 4th to get grip back. Takes a bit of practice but it's the best way.

bumpkin

herzogzwei1989 said:
I'm still having trouble getting 1st place on normal. I even did an endurance race of 40 labs on advanced, MT.
Nailing the big turns is pretty much key. The last big one can make or break any given lap.

I got first place on beginning on normal, now im trying the hardest mode, arcade, but i don't think i will do that well because im playing drunk.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
hort22 said:
How do you do the rocket start...can't pass that challenge
Edgeward said:
I don't know how to turn/drift properly in this game. ._.

Is it even possible on AT?
Pretty sure both of these are in the how to play menu. Drifting in AT requires holding down both the gas and brake while turning, then releasing the brake once you're at the desired angle.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Got past the rocket start challenge and completed the others on the advanced track. I only need to complete the last two on the expert track and I'm done with challenge mode.

Trojan X

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
do you guys feel the handling/control and drone care A.I. are the same as the Model 2 version?

After playing the arcade, emu and Xbox version, I can confirm that they're the same. Afterall, the Xbox (Sega Racing Classic) uses the same mechanics code as the original Model 2 version.

Shaneus

Trojan X said:
After playing the arcade, emu and Xbox version, I can confirm that they're the same. Afterall, the Xbox (Sega Racing Classic) uses the same mechanics code as the original Model 2 version.
See, I would've thought the AI was more cunty in this one than arcades, but it's been a while.

Sixfortyfive

Shaneus said:
See, I would've thought the AI was more cunty in this one than arcades, but it's been a while.
It seems to be harder in survival mode, and the drones are more erratic than usual in online races. Other than that it doesn't seem different.

Sixfortyfive

Type B gameplay is so incredible. Really brings long-term thinking to the forefront. Do I pit now? Later? Never? I've known about this mode for a few years but have never really had the opportunity to make use of it much before now.

Just finished a race in which I elected to put myself 1 lap down at the halfway point to fix my tires. Paid off handsomely, as the guy who risked to do otherwise in order to overtake me ended up bouncing back and forth between the walls in the final few laps. :)

Trojan X

Banned
Seriously. This is pathetic: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-daytona-usa/17-5152/

"the controls are kinda twitchy"

The way those guys were playing, you can't play like that on any driving game, especially GT and Forza which they referred to.

"I never progressed further than this one, man I never even saw the other two tracks"

You've confirmed that you are not good players and they never understood what the game was all about nor went out of the way to understand it.

"It's so hard.....!!!"

It's call DEPTH, Learning Curve and it's not that hard if they were more bothered to try. Not everything is instant but I remember seeing lots of 14, 15 and 16 year old school girls having a major battle on Advanced and Expert mode at the arcade and ruling the roost! Seriously, their skill level was great and they were school girls! I've also seen many people jumping on advance course and giving it a good go and always had a smile on their face from sheer excitement. Then you have these guys from Giant Bomb who makes such comments like they did. If girls can love and enjoy this game then why can't these guys who suppose to be people's guidance for all video game purchases, i.e. you got to be a good gamer and know your stuff.

"let's sing it! DAY-TO-NAAAAAAA!!!"

What's wrong with these journalists? Of course, not every game is for everyone but in this case, these guys base everything on "content" rather than gameplay! The amount of people that loves Daytona including those that's new to the game is huge! Heck, it's no wonder certain games doesn't sell when you have people like these guys and OXM.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Trojan X said:
Seriously. This is pathetic: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-daytona-usa/17-5152/

"the controls are kinda twitchy"

Idiots! The way they are playing, you can't play like that on any driving game, especially GT and Forza which they liked to compared to! They prefer CPU slightly assisted steering like in NFS The Run, pathetic.

"I never progressed further than this one, man I never even saw the other two tracks"

Well done - you've confirmed that you are a crap player who never understood what the game was all about nor went out of the way to understand it either.

"It's so hard.....!!!"

It's call DEPTH and Learning Curve! Oh gosh! I remember seeing lots of 14, 15 and 16 year old school girls having a major battle on Advanced and Expert mode at the arcade and ruling the roost! Seriously, their skill level was incredible and they were school girls! I've also seen many people jumping on advance course and giving it a good go and always had a smile on their face from sheer excitement. Then you have these guys from Giant Bomb who makes such comments like they did. If girls can love and enjoy this game then why can't these guys who suppose to be people's guidance for all video game purchases, i.e. you got to be a good gamer and know your stuff! Damn, what's wrong with them?!

Gosh, what the heck is wrong with journalist today?! They base everything they do on "content" rather than quality! Serious pathetic.

Back to the Uncharted threads with this kind of thing, please.

Gaspode_T

Hmmm, I checked Top Downloaded (which is actually top sold...don't know why they don't call it that) on 360 and Daytona is currently getting its butt handed to it by lots of games, I think it is #7 or #8, right after World of Keflings ... but still... it's listed as the first game in new releases, I expected it to sell better...my psychic powers are predicting 10K to 15K range each on XBLA and PSN, that's not enough to warrant Sega to continue to do this for other games. :( :( :( I was hoping it would be more like a 100K long legs game, but the sales chart is worrying me.

People need to hear the truth in Trojan's voice, this isn't about clearing a few achievements, Sega arcade games and even many of their console games were always about perfecting your artform. It's always been that way. When I was younger I didn't appreciate it as much as I do now.

Trojan X

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
I want Daytona USA 2 Battle On The Edge and Power Edition. That would make my year.

Well, it won't happen when you have people like Giant Bomb and OXM with their awful impressions which is deterring people from purchasing Daytona.

Sixfortyfive

PepsimanVsJoe said:
My review is up: http://www.extraguy.com/2011/10/daytona-usa-review-rolling-start/

Tried to go in a different direction instead of the usual "omg this is so great". Dunno if it worked out.
Pretty good write-up.

If I could nitpick one thing, it's that Daytona actually does have rubberband AI, but you'd never notice it unless you went out of your way to look for it, so it's not exactly a big deal. (Put yourself a lap down at the beginning of a longer race, then try to catch up. It shouldn't be that hard to do, but after obtaining the lead you'll probably never stretch it to more than half a lap over the next opponent, no matter how hard you try.)

Sixfortyfive said:
If I could nitpick one thing, it's that Daytona actually does have rubberband AI, but you'd never notice it unless you went out of your way to look for it, so it's not exactly a big deal. (Put yourself a lap down at the beginning of a longer race, then try to catch up. It shouldn't be that hard to do, but after obtaining the lead you'll probably never stretch it to more than half a lap over the next opponent, no matter how hard you try.)

Hmm. I was thinking of more recent games where the second place AI is always one or two car lengths behind you.

Making a quick and dirty edit now.

Sixfortyfive

It's not like your point wasn't still valid.

Like I said, you'd never really notice it in this game unless you seek it out.

could someone explain how i get upto 8 players in an online race. I looked back a few pages but couldn't fine it. I can only get 2 players at once. please help. thanks.

krae_man

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Hmm. I was thinking of more recent games where the second place AI is always one or two car lengths behind you.

Making a quick and dirty edit now.

How about Ridge Racer 3DS where in the harder difficulties you will always be repassed, always. Your'e only hope of winning is passing on the final straight and hope to god a triple nitro is enough to keep you in first.

Anyway started playing Daytona last night. Still very fun.

Trojan X

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
My review is up: http://www.extraguy.com/2011/10/daytona-usa-review-rolling-start/

Tried to go in a different direction instead of the usual "omg this is so great". Dunno if it worked out.

Great job with the review! It's really good and well covered. I hope this review gets documented on Metacritic.

This is what I'm talking about. If you are going to review a game, make sure you understand the game you are reviewing and know the levels plays required before critiquing it. OXM (http://www.oxmonline.com/daytona-usa-review) review really screwed up Daytona USA's metacritic score thus dropping the appeal of the game. As far I'm concerned, that's a massive crime for the Tetris of driving games and spell-out how journalist want their games today, content, content, and more content and nothing more. Pathetic.

Trojan X

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
could someone explain how i get upto 8 players in an online race. I looked back a few pages but couldn't fine it. I can only get 2 players at once. please help. thanks.

I OFFERED to help you but you NEVER responded back to me. Read back on my posts.

Trojan X

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
I am truly sorry Trojan X, I missed your reply. what post number is it ? thanks.

Give us a walkthrough of exactly what you're doing. You said that you are only able to get 2 players, so I assume this is 2 players when you select the multiplayer mode, right? What version are you using, PSN or Xbox? When you detail your walkthrough which eventually lead to the problem then we'll give you some further ideas or a solution.

razu

KennyLinder said:
Outrun 2 is amazing and it's the evolution from SCUD Race and Daytona USA 2. The gear-drift mechanic was tuned and smoothed with each version and Outrun 2 is the easiest of them all. Outrun 2 is absolutely beautiful too. I remember when a friend and I called a sickie at work when it arrived at the Troc arcade in London and we drove 180 miles just to play it. Amazing times :)

Shhhhhhhhhh!

;)

Trojan X said:
Great job with the review! It's really good and well covered. I hope this review gets documented on Metacritic.

That would be nice...but it won't.

The requirements for making it on Metacritic are all over the place.

I forget how it goes exactly. You have to do X number of reviews for big games over a short period of time, and have to hold that consistently for however long.

Trojan X

Banned
Ok peeps. I've started a new series called VERSUS BATTLECAST. It's basically a show where we pit the best of videos games, consumer entertainments and other exciting products against each other. In every episode, we'll showcase every contender in its best form and leave you, the viewer, to decide which one should take the crown as champion. The next batch of episodes will hopefully feature some model 3 games. Also, I'll start working on some VO and then, eventually, filming.

The best part for us gamers is this, EXPERT GAMEPLAY ONLY (though for Ace Driver Victory Lap, the game got extreme sensitivity issues where a 30' degree turn occurs from moving the steering by 1mm turn which is absurd. Also, Ace Driver is all about precision racing where your speed will be lost if you don't stick to your racing line and turn smoothly:

VERSUS BATTLECAST - Episode 1

Enjoy! Oh, Daytona USA will come too.

WX3

This was the first time I watched any vids of the game, but the first thing that came to mind for me was, please remake Destruction Derby from PS1 in HD!!

Trojan X

Banned
ssinisterss said:
This was the first time I watched any vids of the game, but the first thing that came to mind for me was, please remake Destruction Derby from PS1 in HD!!

Sorry to say, I found Destruction Derby really dire. Gosh, I remember that game well. It was super hype driven. I remember the oval race being a take or reminder of Daytona USA, and Destruction Derby 2 was more so in that direction.

Trojan X

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
So are the XBLA and PSN versions the same in every way?

I think one of the other guys said that the Xbox one has a better depth in colours and anti-aliasing but its marginal. Otherwise its a happy port all round.

Top Bottom