• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

RC

Banned
Trojan X said:
?? What do you mean? I play with manual controls and i've been tearing up online.
I guess I just suck then. The movement just seems unnatural on a controller. I'm going to need a lot more practice before I get the hang of it.

Trojan X

Banned
Desibabu said:
I guess I just suck then. The movement just seems unnatural on a controller. I'm going to need a lot more practice before I get the hang of it.

:)

Go on... Make yourself happy: http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_eu/index.php?cPath=21

I will buy one so I can play my Daytona 2, Scud Race, F1 2011, GT5, Forza 4, Daytona USA, Sega Rally 1, 2 and 3, Indy 500, Ace Driver 2 Victory Lap, Rave Racer and every other racing game I got on my PS3, Xbox360 and PC.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone else having a problem racing online? I can never find any races on PSN. I get some message about NAT settings before I try multiplayer mode, but I assume everyone sees that message. I have no problem playing any other online game on my PS3, but for some reason Daytona can never find a match. Is it truly possible nobody is playing online PSN? Or is my internet somehow messed up?

Barkley's Justice said:
really? no one's going to touch the mip-mapping on the street textures? i brought it up a few pages ago, but no one replied.

on 360 at least, the mip-mapping on the street texture is kindof poor...it's distracting for me because everything else is so tight but the floor recalls sonic adventure on dreamcast.

is it like this in the arcade? i cant remember? if it is, fair game.
Model 2 hardware didn't even support mip mapping or texture filtering. There's no excuse to be using straight bilinear filtering here, it's the one black spot on an otherwise fantastic product.

Anyone know if the old Driving Force Pro works with the PS3 version?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Trojan X said:
:)

Go on... Make yourself happy: http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_eu/index.php?cPath=21

I will buy one so I can play my Daytona 2, Scud Race, F1 2011, GT5, Forza 4, Daytona USA, Sega Rally 1, 2 and 3, Indy 500, Ace Driver 2 Victory Lap, Rave Racer and every other racing game I got on my PS3, Xbox360 and PC.

Glad you decided to get a wheel Trojan! Good going man. Now you will REALLY go from 0-60 in 1 millisecond LOL! Those games you listed(well, except for Forza and GT5, since my wheel don't work on consoles) are the reason I love my PC so much. Hopefully we can link up on some PC racing games that support multiplayer one day!

Daytona USA is a great port! Unfortunately I haven't had time to barely touch it since it came out, but hopefully I'll have some free time next week for those of you on PS3. Arggh, I wish I had a 360 so I could hook up with you guys. PS3 version seemed kinda empty when I played the other night. Seems all the action is on the 360 version :(

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Adam Prime said:
I get some message about NAT settings before I try multiplayer mode, but I assume everyone sees that message.
Never seen it.

Every now and then I get a lot of teleporting cars all over the place in 8P lobbies but other than that the experience has been pretty smooth.

Adam Prime said:
Anyone else having a problem racing online? I can never find any races on PSN. I get some message about NAT settings before I try multiplayer mode, but I assume everyone sees that message. I have no problem playing any other online game on my PS3, but for some reason Daytona can never find a match. Is it truly possible nobody is playing online PSN? Or is my internet somehow messed up?

All i get is one online player at a time on PSN. Try creating a match and then wait in the lobby for someone to show up. It should work. I'm having trouble getting more than one person to show up to race against.

kyubajin said:
I have a Saturn but since I'm not really into driving games other than OutRun and MotorStorm I never tried this game. From YouTube it looks like fun, however I don't really see what's to be excited about. Can anyone truthfully explain what's so great about this game?

Forget the Saturn version, it's rubbish in compared to this version. This is the Model 2 game in HD graphics. You'll never go back. It's seriously worth the $10.

I've been watching some videos they look great. But i hear the arcade versions music and not the saturn one. Is there an option to change this? If not there's always custom soundtracks but it would be great to have that option. Still game looks great gonna try demo today and most likely buy.

The superior Sky High theme (saturn) (clear voice at 0:28)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a14tqUAswZU

The stuff I've been hearing on the psn/xbla version (the autotune is horrible @ 0:32)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsFWWZAN5Nk

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, is this game fun if you play majority of it in single player?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
SovietStriker said:
I've been watching some videos they look great. But i hear the arcade versions music and not the saturn one. Is there an option to change this? If not there's always custom soundtracks but it would be great to have that option. Still game looks great gonna try demo today and most likely buy.

The stuff I've been hearing on the psn/xbla version (the autotune is horrible @ 0:32)
there's an option to use the arrange (Saturn) version of the soundtrack

ULTROS! said:

You'll get a lot of mi(SLAP) out of it if you play a lot of time trials and survival mode. Also the challenge mode is nice as it'll teach you a few strategies.
The occasional arcade race is fun too.

miserable

Guys, what racing wheel do you recommend?One that is not too expensive, lol.
Also, is there a wheel that works on both the PS3 and X360?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
ULTROS! said:

I've yet to play it multiplier, but yeah it's a lot of fun. It's ONLY three tracks, but my goodness every section of the track is a complete challenge. I can't imagine the skill it requires to "perfectly" take every corner on every track and maintain the highest possible top speed.

It's nuts. Almost to the point where I wonder: Is this game requiring ultimate precision not seen in modern racing games (you need to downshift and up shift in appropriated X amount of frames of animation at this precise location if you want to maintain the greatest possible amount of top speed through this corner) , or is it just "random". It feels random because sometimes you'll take a corner perfectly and try to do it again and... spin out.

I'm about 99% sure it's the latter, because there are people so good at this game I'm sure it's 100% precision skill driving. The fact that this game (with ONLY three tracks, DURH!) has that layer of depth is amazing.

... So to answer your question: the challenge mode is fun (and is more of a tutorial capcom-fighting game style) and the survival mode is probably the best single player mode to go to once your done with Arcade mode (see how long you can drive precision perfectly).

Really happy with this $10 purchase. I just wish online player worked for me... or more people were playing. How is it possible to create/find a match on a Friday night? I really think this game doesn't like my internet settings.

Trojan X

Banned
SovietStriker said:

The Arrange music in this version of Daytona USA is exclusive. It's not the SEGA Saturn version. Don't worry though because the arrange tracks sound GOOD!

Hmm... I haven't found Pounding Pavement music track yet but I beginning to think that it's not there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPbLfoTpSPM

Sixfortyfive

Trojan X said:
Hmm... I haven't found Pounding Pavement music track yet but I beginning to think that it's not there:
Holding the view buttons on the "start your engines" screen still works in Arcade mode, but it doesn't seem to work everywhere else.

Trojan X

Banned
Adam Prime said:
I've yet to play it multiplier, but yeah it's a lot of fun. It's ONLY three tracks, but my goodness every section of the track is a complete challenge. I can't imagine the skill it requires to "perfectly" take every corner on every track and maintain the highest possible top speed.

It's nuts. Almost to the point where I wonder: Is this game requiring ultimate precision not seen in modern racing games (you need to downshift and up shift in appropriated X amount of frames of animation at this precise location if you want to maintain the greatest possible amount of top speed through this corner) , or is it just "random". It feels random because sometimes you'll take a corner perfectly and try to do it again and... spin out.

I'm about 99% sure it's the latter, because there are people so good at this game I'm sure it's 100% precision skill driving. The fact that this game (with ONLY three tracks, DURH!) has that layer of depth is amazing.

... So to answer your question: the challenge mode is fun (and is more of a tutorial capcom-fighting game style) and the survival mode is probably the best single player mode to go to once your done with Arcade mode (see how long you can drive precision perfectly).

Really happy with this $10 purchase. I just wish online player worked for me... or more people were playing. How is it possible to create/find a match on a Friday night? I really think this game doesn't like my internet settings.

Awesome! It's funny, people were thinking that my post about Daytona USA were crazy and now everyone is more or less thinking the same as me. Unbelievable. I hope everyone listens to me more often for now on.

Dude. Where are you located, who is your net provider and what machine are you playing on? Not playing this game online is an absolute crime so I'd like to help you in any way I can by trying to solve your problem. If I can't solve it then... well, I least I tried.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Adam Prime said:
It's nuts. Almost to the point where I wonder: Is this game requiring ultimate precision not seen in modern racing games (you need to downshift and up shift in appropriated X amount of frames of animation at this precise location if you want to maintain the greatest possible amount of top speed through this corner)

i love this game as much as anyone, but no. it takes far more precision to get good times in, say, a forza or gt title

Trojan X

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Holding the view buttons on the "start your engines" screen still works in Arcade mode, but it doesn't seem to work everywhere else.

I completely forgotten about that. Thanks. Yes, if I remember it, the Arcade code doesn't allow you to pick that song in multiplayer because SEGA AM2 wanted everyone to listen to the same soundtrack. Think of it as a massive sound stage were over 16 speakers (8 players, 2 music speakers per cabinet) are pumping out "LET'S GO AWAY!" Makes sense I guess but this isn't the arcade or a LAN network setup, so.... Yeah.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
op_ivy said:
i love this game as much as anyone, but no. it takes far more precision to get good times in, say, a forza or gt title

Well okay, I tend to play this games not with any sort of simulation settings. Most racing games that I've played the past year (Wipeout, NFS Hot Pursuit) tend to have a zen-quality to them where you can space out and make turns no problem. Every single turn in this game requires my complete focus. But like I said, that maybe speaks more to how I play other racing games.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Adam Prime said:
Well okay, I tend to play this games not with any sort of simulation settings. Most racing games that I've played the past year (Wipeout, NFS Hot Pursuit) tend to have a zen-quality to them where you can space out and make turns no problem. Every single turn in this game requires my complete focus. But like I said, that maybe speaks more to how I play other racing games.

sorry, didnt realize you were comparing to the NFSs of the world. yeah, i agree, daytona's handling model has more complexity then those games mentioned

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
op_ivy said:
sorry, didnt realize you were comparing to the NFSs of the world. yeah, i agree, daytona's handling model has more complexity then those games mentioned

I think the complexity to the game actually resides in assigning a specific gear to buttons. I love the way it feels playing Daytona, I wish more games did this as well (maybe use L1 and R1 for 5th and 6th gear? or 1st and 2nd?). It's easily my favorite thing about playing Daytona.

Trojan X

Banned
Adam Prime said:

Don't worry, I believe the majority all knows what you were talking about. I believe Saur (the quote I provided before) hit the nail on the head regarding the Daytona experience.

There is NO DOUBT WHAT SO EVER that Daytona USA is one of the most deepest, wildest and exciting ARCADE racing to ever grace the arcade and home consoles. In fact, there are no arcade racing game that can touch Daytona, and everyone's reaction on this board and other forums around proven that. To add insult to the injury of every arcade racing game out there (Wipeout, NFS, Split Second, Motorstorm, etc etc), Daytona USA is 17 years old¬! Yes, 17 yrs old and it STILL can't be beaten!

Of course, there is arcade racing and there is simulation racing which is a completely different category. It's wrong for anyone to put Daytona USA and other games like GT and Forza in the same category and I uphold that. However, if anyone REALLY wants to see both categories as one (unfortunately, there are many people out that including journalist that often make that mistake) then I'll only say this... Out of the 3, which one are you having the most fun? There you go.

Simply put, Daytona USA is the TETRIS of Driving Games.

jaypah

So I drag out the wheel yesterday and give this a go. I'm not putting quarters into a machine so I decide to try using manual, something I never did in the arcade version. I follow the advice that I read here and on the tip menu and......failure. Ate grass. Tried 2 more times. Ate grass. So I said fuck it. I set the car to automatic, cranked the volume, cracked a beer and did a pretty fun race around the beginners track.

Once the race was done I realized that I had totally relived my past arcade experience in the comfort of my home on a 73 inch screen no less! But something was nagging at me. All those years of playing it safe as a kid because I didn't want to "waste" my money trying manual and yet, here in my home, I was still playing it safe. Why? The damn game is already paid for! I decided to give manual another try since I paid for the game I might as well explore every facet of it, right? So I try beginner again and I ate the wall. I come back around to the same turn and......more wall eating. But this time, even though I didn't pull a drift off I felt something. Some small spark of understanding. I thought about it as I raced back around to that same turn only this time I did it! Upshifted out of the turn and everything! It felt so fucking awesome. I came back around and did it again. Wtf?! I thought to myself "This is Daytona?!" all those years of playing it in the arcade and I had never really played it at all. This is literally a completely different game now. I still suck at it but it's going to be stupid fun trying to figure out all of the turns. If it wasn't for this thread I would never have tried manual drifting and I definitely wouldn't be having this much fun so thanks y'all.

Trojan X

Banned
jaypah said:
So I drag out the wheel yesterday and give this a go. I'm not putting quarters into a machine so I decide to try using manual, something I never did in the arcade version. I follow the advice that I read here and on the tip menu and......failure. Ate grass. Tried 2 more times. Ate grass. So I said fuck it. I set the car to automatic, cranked the volume, cracked a beer and did a pretty fun race around the beginners track.

Once the race was done I realized that I had totally relived my past arcade experience in the comfort of my home on a 73 inch screen no less! But something was nagging at me. All those years of playing it safe as a kid because I didn't want to "waste" my money trying manual and yet, here in my home, I was still playing it safe. Why? The damn game is already paid for! I decided to give manual another try since I paid for the game I might as well explore every facet of it, right? So I try beginner again and I ate the wall. I come back around to the same turn and......more wall eating. But this time, even though I didn't pull a drift off I felt something. Some small spark of understanding. I thought about it as I raced back around to that same turn only this time I did it! Upshifted out of the turn and everything! It felt so fucking awesome. I came back around and did it again. Wtf?! I thought to myself "This is Daytona?!" all those years of playing it in the arcade and I had never really played it at all. This is literally a completely different game now. I still suck at it but it's going to be stupid fun trying to figure out all of the turns. If it wasn't for this thread I would never have tried manual drifting and I definitely wouldn't be having this much fun so thanks y'all.

I love this post. Yes, we completely feel and understand you. Welcome to addiction.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Just grabbed this on US PSN. Lets see how bad or good it actually is.

Hopefully manual isn't broken or too hard to use.

I've still not been able to get this, though I did check out the demo on XBLA. Just can't afford it yet. I'm actually considering dusting off my Saturn and playing that version.

Trojan X

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
I've still not been able to get this, though I did check out the demo on XBLA. Just can't afford it yet. I'm actually considering dusting off my Saturn and playing that version.

Confused. Are you saying you can't afford to buy it yet or you don't understand why this game is good?

No point playing the Sega Saturn version. You're better off looking for your nearest arcade and playing it there.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Argh i suck at this with a controller. My best time, after only playing advanced twice is like 3:09 and the leaderboard record is 2:55.

What :O. I have no idea if i can even hit 2:55 on the arcade, I think my best was like low 3 minutes.

Oh god. Is the 2 - 3 - method actually faster? Have i been living a lie for the past 10 years. My world is shattered.

fonk808

Absolutely loving Daytona! I've wanted this game online for years. Being in Australia, I never got to play it online on the Dreamcast... and it wasn't the same anyway. (still a great game though in my opinion)

One quick question...

Which view do people use when playing?

I've always had a love for the in-car view (where you can see the hood).... just seems like more fun to me.

But I'm assuming most people are using the standard 3rd-person view...?

Trojan X said:
Confused. Are you saying you can't afford to buy it yet or you don't understand why this game is good?

No point playing the Sega Saturn version. You're better off looking for your nearest arcade and playing it there.
I'm saying I get paid on monday and will get it then. I get paid twice a month so sometimes my budget gets a bit dodgy.

Anyway, finding an arcade? I may as well try searching for the holy grail. I haven't seen, let alone gone to an arcade in about twenty years.

Sixfortyfive

jaypah said:

Actually cool story, bro.

Reminds me of when I picked up the Saturn version. Before that, my entire arcade experience with the game was just flooring it through the Beginner track and taking the bump against the 3rd turn every lap. The Saturn port wasn't as good as any of us hoped it would be, but it was competent enough to serve as a good training mode for the arcade.

I had a rivalry for the leaderboards at my local arcade that was active for years, as recent as the release of the model 2 emulator. Last time I checked, I still held the record on the machine for Advanced and Expert. Need to check out the place when I'm back in town for Thanksgiving. :)

Tomasooie said:
I put it in the OP -- not until late November on PSN.

Oh dear might aswell get it on 360.

Gavarms said:
ilCiGAs4cYqWW.gif

That's the funniest gif i've seen all day :)

Sixfortyfive

Recorded and uploaded my latest survival mode run.

It's currently #1 on the leaderboard, but I blew it on the turn coming off the bridge in the 2nd half of the 6th lap. I think I'd be able to manage the tire grip loss if it wasn't for the fact that just accelerating back to max speed takes an eternity at that point and you just lose so much time for one mistake.

Top Bottom