• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

Stole this off the DC_Cinematic reddit. Gal's first day on set...

DsErY7R.jpg
When trying to teach your SO the Wonder Woman block pose, for reasons...

ReiGun

This. Early impressions were brushed off as is they didn't matter and shouldn't be counted. "they were wined and dined" "they got in for free so of course they'll be positive"

I mean if you're positive about your first viewing that's a big deal. Now things could definitely change after multiple viewings but still. It's like you're telling those people their opinions are wrong.

Right. I can understand trusting critics over the man on the street, but people acted like the early impressions were coming from people who uniformly had bad taste or couldn't make up their own minds. That's really not fair, and makes me think some folks just didn't want to listen because they weren't negative.

Ashhong

Right. I can understand trusting critics over the man on the street, but people acted like the early impressions were coming from people who uniformly had bad taste or couldn't make up their own minds. That's really not fair, and makes me think some folks just didn't want to listen because they weren't negative.

Confirmation bias

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Impossible to give a unbiased opinion right now, but I liked the movie a lot. The weird thing is that the movie got good reviews in the newspapers around here, but most of the Marvel movies got more mediocre scores.
I just can't reconcile the disparity between fans reactions and critics. It's like they're talking about different movies.

I know it's early but 40%?? I respect the opinions of too many here to believe it deserves this much negatively.

I gotta be honest.... I've been lurking and just watching from the shadows but damn if I'm not a tad bit disappointed in these critic reviews. Some of them do sound like this offended them or the movie killed somebody they know.

I know some people just hate Zack Snyder but damn.... This is getting ridiculous.

I'm now really curious how divided the reviews will be between critics and the general audiences. No doubt the opening week will rake in money or possibly break even. Like someone said, the true test will be the following week and WOM.

Maybe they're pulling a reverse. The movie is so bad that people will just have to watch it and see how bad it is. I don't know. I know I'm going to try and find some buddies to go and watch it with me this weekend.

Hey DC homies. I'm doing my best to avoid the internet but felt the need to tell you all that If anyone is feeling down/worried about the movie I HIGHLY recommend you check out Grace Randolph's non-spoiler review. (Note: While she doesn't go into specifics she does talk about general plot points so keep that in mind)]

Basically she says in her review that the movie is aimed towards adults and predicts that this fact will probably be the greatest point of contention between critics. She herself loves the movie. STAY HYPED GUYS.

Ahasverus

I feel the next DCEU movies are safe. Wonder Woman has a wonderful director, Suicide Squad has all the right buzz going for it (Ben says he really liked it) and JL is probably Snyder's last shot and firing all cilinders, with all control of the story being in Terrio da Gawd (disregard my avatar). Phase 2 is the big question mark, but I'm betting that Batman movie is coming fast.

VanWinkle

If it's any consolation, most movie-goers don't look at RT and MC scores, so the people that watch it the opening weekend will mostly determine the longer-term outcome. And average movie-goers opinions often conflict with RT and MC, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for it to happen here.

I'm not trying to excuse the poor critic scores or anything. It's a real shame. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything bad for the overall success.

I feel like one thing that should happen is they should delay the JL movie and release one or two more solo films ahead of it.

inm8num2

I'm a little bummed. Deep down I knew the movie would split critics, but I was hoping it'd be on the positive end of a mixed reception (e.g. ~70% of critics liking it). After 200 reviews it could end up in the low 60s, but some critics have been pretty harsh so that's probably unlikely. Regardless, I know I'm still going to enjoy the hell out of BvS.

ReiGun

People thinking that WB is going to freak and massively change up their plans leading up to JLA is...well, silly.

Suicide Squad is in post and coming out this year. Wonder Woman just wrapped and will likely have its big blow out at Comic Con. JLA is about to start shooting and will wrap this year. This much is set, and I doubt they're going to make any big decisions about how to proceed until at least SS is out and they peep the early buzz on Wonder Woman.

Boke1879

It's confirmation bias. Not to mention you have people who actively wanted this movie to fail.

I just can't reconcile the disparity between fans reactions and critics. It's like they're talking about different movies.

Thursday and Friday will be the true tells about all of this. A lot of people are going to see the movie this weekend. If WOM still holds up you'll see it do well in its 2nd week.

Time to do a quick read through of the top negative critics reviews

Lou Leminick:
-feels it's too packed, road to justice league
-didn't care for cgi fight scenes
-no sense of danger
-too serious
+like's eisenberg

Rafer Guzman:
-flimsy motivation for fight
-dislike's eisenberg
-doesn't make sense

Alonso Duralde:
+likes wonder woman
-doesn't like fight scene
+few moments he enjoys like party conversation between Bruce & Clark
+likes the score
-again doesn't care for the cgi fights

anyway you get the point. They don't like the cgi fights, they feel like there's little room for actual story and the film is packed.

I still don't understand the huge negative ratings though, ASM2 & AOU suffered from similar complaints but got higher ratings (so far). I guess movies that take themselves seriously are held to a higher standard, but I can't say for sure until I watch the film. Maybe critics are getting more strict on CBM?

There's probably room here for it to still do well with the audience, who are a lot more receptive to awesome fight scenes.

I feel the next DCEU movies are safe. Wonder Woman has a wonderful director, Suicide Squad has all the right buzz going for it (Ben says he really liked it) and JL is probably Snyder's last shot and firing all cilinders, with all control of the story being in Terrio da Gawd (disregard my avatar). Phase 2 is the big question mark, but I'm betting that Batman movie is coming fast.

I think squad is looking great, but sometimes I think it may have been better for DC to have done a more light hearted (not necessarily Marvel light) film for 2016 to go alongside BvS, showing that their universe isn't strictly dramatic. A Shazam or Flash movie might have done some goodwill here.

VanWinkle

Time to do a quick read through of the top negative critics reviews

Lou Leminick:
-feels it's too packed, road to justice league
-didn't care for cgi fight scenes
-no sense of danger
-too serious
+like's eisenberg

Rafer Guzman:
-flimsy motivation for fight
-dislike's eisenberg
-doesn't make sense

Alonso Duralde:
+likes wonder woman
-doesn't like fight scene
+few moments he enjoys like party conversation between Bruce & Clark
+likes the score
-again doesn't care for the cgi fights

anyway you get the point. They don't like the cgi fights, they feel like there's little room for actual story and the film is packed.

I still don't understand the huge negative ratings though, ASM2 & AOU suffered from similar complaints but got higher ratings (so far). I guess movies that take themselves seriously are held to a higher standard, but I can't say for sure until I watch the film. Maybe critics are getting more strict on CBM?

There's probably room here for it to still do well with the audience, who are a lot more receptive to awesome fight scenes.

I do think it's probably at least partially because the movie is so serious. I think that some of the Marvel movies can get a little leeway due to their more lighthearted and humorous nature, seeing as how a lot of positive reviews for some of those boil down to "If nothing else it was fun," or "Was what it set out to be: popcorn entertainment". BvS SEEMS to take itself really seriously, so the reviewers can't have that "fun" or "popcorn entertainment" excuse if it isn't firing on all cylinders elsewhere.

IconGrist

Every person/critic whose opinion I care about has seen the movie and given it the stamp of approval. Well, 3 I care about haven't seen it, but they are likely about an hour into it as I type this so we'll see how that goes.

And like I said in the review thread I haven't heard one word that has deflated my excitement but I'm also easy to please so chances are slim I'll actually dislike the movie. It takes a lot for me to feel that way about a movie and I'd say as far as CBM movies go only Rises, Iron Man 3 and Superman Returns have gotten that from me in the last decade.

Anth0ny

I think Age of Ultron reviewed the way it did because it didn't do anything offensively bad. The problem is it did nothing spectacular, or even great. Just a boring, flat, forgettable film. But not offensive.

ASM2, on the other hand... yikes. Can't defend that one.

BvS reviewing worse than ASM2 is shocking to me.

BadAss2961

I think squad is looking great, but sometimes I think it may have been better for DC to have done a more light hearted (not necessarily Marvel light) film for 2016 to go alongside BvS, showing that their universe isn't strictly dramatic. A Shazam or Flash movie might have done some goodwill here.
Suicide Squad looks to be lighthearted and fucked up at the same time. Exactly how it should be.

ReiGun

Confirmation bias

It's confirmation bias. Not to mention you have people who actively wanted this movie to fail.
Oh absolutely. I'm just trying to give people the benefit of the doubt because pointing out anti biases in relation to this movie tends to get you labeled oversensitive and who has time? lol

But at the end of the day, the best thing for everyone to do is remember it's just a movie, and that if you go see it and don't like it, it's far from the end of the world. And if you do like it, then you just disagree with critics, which people do all the time.

VanWinkle

I think Age of Ultron reviewed the way it did because it didn't do anything offensively bad. The problem is it did nothing spectacular, or even great. Just a boring, flat, forgettable film. But not offensive.

ASM2, on the other hand... yikes. Can't defend that one.

BvS reviewing worse than ASM2 is shocking to me.

That could change by the end, but, yeah. ASM2 was just terrible. I thought ASM was pretty good (not great), but man.

If BvS ends up having the same issues (unfocused plot, too many characters), I'll still very likely enjoy it more than ASM2 for (IMO) better character portrayals, and a more pleasing visual style. I mean, ideally, it should be WAY better than ASM2 but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case as we can tell right now.

I forgot to mention but there's a lot of 9/11 mentions in the negative reviews. I really don't get that vibe at all in Man of Steel. Just because devastation happens on American soil doesn't mean it's a metaphor for 9/11... People are a bit too sensitive I think.

I think there's a sense of escapism that makes super hero films attractive to people, while BvS firmly plants itself in our world.

Suicide Squad looks to be lighthearted and fucked up at the same time. Exactly how it should be.

I get the impression it's a dark comedy. I (like to) think it will review well because it's a notable break from usual super hero movies.

Every person/critic whose opinion I care about has seen the movie and given it the stamp of approval. Well, 3 I care about haven't seen it, but they are likely about an hour into it as I type this so we'll see how that goes.

And like I said in the review thread I haven't heard one word that has deflated my excitement but I'm also easy to please so chances are slim I'll actually dislike the movie. It takes a lot for me to feel that way about a movie and I'd say as far as CBM movies go only Rises, Iron Man 3 and Superman Returns have gotten that from me in the last decade.
Same. Aside from The Witch and most of Hateful Eight, the main reason I go to theater is for the big screen spectacle. I can enjoy the dramas and horror movies and whatnot in the comfort of my living room, but if I'm going to spend 10-13 bucks, I want to be entertained and it has to be something worth watching on the big theater or IMAX screen. I'm easy to please.

PBY

Banned
I forgot to mention but there's a lot of 9/11 mentions in the negative reviews. I really don't get that vibe at all in Man of Steel. Just because devastation happens on American soil doesn't mean it's a metaphor for 9/11... People are a bit too sensitive I think.
Disagree. The trailers leant WAAAAY into the 9/11 imagery.

they call it black zero in batman v superman apparently lol

and nah i think man of steel leaned a lot into that imagery. so much. i don't think it's a negative though tbh, it makes sense.

Saw a post earlier where somebody implied those who saw it early are fanboys and not people. There's too much to unpack there.

Who am I to say. Posting here and comic threads, watching it early. Forfeits me into being seen as a fanboy despite tepid impressions haha.

Cooter

Thursday and Friday will be the true tells about all of this. A lot of people are going to see the movie this weekend. If WOM still holds up you'll see it do well in its 2nd week.
No doubt. What would be absolutely fascinating would be a scenario that played out like this:

210 OW
100 2nd weekend

IconGrist

Same. Aside from The Witch and most of Hateful Eight, the main reason I go to theater is for the big screen spectacle. I can enjoy the dramas and horror movies and whatnot in the comfort of my living room, but if I'm going to spend 10-13 bucks, I want to be entertained and it has to be something worth watching on the big theater or IMAX screen. I'm easy to please.

Ya know my mother nearly convinced me to go see Gods of Egypt. She saw that with my daughter a few weeks ago. She didn't think the plot or acting was any good but that the spectacle of it was worth the view. I think a lot of people feel that way. You go for the experience for a movie like Batman v Superman or Avengers or what have you and as long as the movie wasn't offensively awful you'll walk out with a smile.

Unless you're just a Negative Nancy most of the time.

Effect

So it's really going to come down to word of mouth it seems. Which very well might be primarily positive. Was watching the beginning of the Greg Miller review and Tim while he didn't enjoy/love it the way Greg did he was still I think positive about the film in the end. He had his issues and he was clear that he didn't like Man of Steel that much. He still felt people needed to see the film. If the audience is split like that and word of mouth is good and people go back and see it two or three times then I think WB might end up happy.

They know what scores Man of Steel got but they also know what the audience reaction was. It was largely if not the overwhelming majority was positive. The cinema score for it was an A. It sold extremely well on dvd, etc. That doesn't happen if general audiences didn't enjoy it a lot.

I don't think critic reviews are worthless but when it comes to them I largely look at the actual review instead of the scores and try to do so afterward as to not be spoiled. Many people don't read reviews but look at the scores. Just from the small sampling provide you can see some of the negatives are different and some are the same. You can't just look at the score. It's the same with game reviews. Why one person gave it a low score can be different from the next person. Why the positives can be different as well.

When it comes to reviews I can easily spot things where I clearly disagree. If someone doesn't like the fights then I can ignore that part of the review and criticism because I do like that stuff. That's a hard disagreement and that person's thoughts on that subject no longer matter and it goes for other reviews that have a negative opinion of that subject. If I don't see negative statements regarding the acting and dialogue then I can largely believe none of that was a concern. I like to look for things like editing, sound, pacing, direction, how things are shot, etc. These things are largely objective. Many reviews I've read over the years don't even bother with them.

Something like tone and darkness of a film is a personal preference. I don't like comedy all that much. I'm very selective about what I find funny on that front. I know what comedy I don't like as well which I still haven't seen Deadpool. I know I won't like it because I don't like that brand of comedy in other films. I love the Nolan films and it's largely because they're serious and treat the subject matter seriously. I enjoy the Marvel films but I've always had a problem with how they make lite of the situations. It's their style and it works for them but I don't want everything like that. The end of GOTG pissed me off because of what they did. Where as I love The Winter Solider because while there was humor in the film they treated the subject matter with the weight it deserved.

I see the critics but what I'm largely waiting for is audience reaction. People that go to movies they're interested in and to have a good time. Not critics that go see a film because they have to as it's part of their job regardless of their overall interest. That's largely where the disconnect might be coming from. I feel that if many critics weren't reviewing films they would never buy tickets to half the films they actual review just due to not being interested in the first place.

There are very few critics I've read over the years that critique a film significantly better then a non-critic film goer that is able to word their thoughts on a film well. The critic just gets paid and has a platform. They're all opinion pieces in the end. Especially if they're not going to talk about the meat of how the film was actually made.

I think people are going to be really surprised when that film comes out and that's not what it is. It might be a dark comedy but I don't think that is going to be lighthearted at all.

Ahasverus

Here is Deborah Snyder laying out the planned schedule so far. Everything after this I think is going to change.
"So Suicide Squad is in post and that comes out later this summer, and Wonder Woman we just finished most of the bulk of principal photography in London. They’re taking a two-week hiatus so Gal [Gadot] can some and do press, and then we go back and shoot the Themiscyra sections in Italy, and then come back for some pickups in London, just some green screen and some tank work, and things like that. We start Justice League April 11th and that is at Leavesden, mostly on stage and some locations around there as well as Iceland and I think a beat in Scotland at the end of the schedule. And we are working with James Wan on the development of the Aquaman script right now, and I’m hoping that sometime first quarter of next year we’ll be in production on that movie as well as working on the script for Flash. So it’s a little busy."
Interesting that WW has NOT finished photography, so Gal might be filming both WW and JL together.

Cooter

The theater i work at is selling tickets like crazy for this weekend
I work in beer sales so I travel to many grocery stores and other places. Everyone was talking about it and saying they are seeing it this weekend. It's gonna be huge.

BadAss2961

I think people are going to be really surprised when that film comes out and that's not what it is. It might be a dark comedy but I don't think that is going to be lighthearted at all.
Well yeah, lighthearted probably isn't the best way to put it. I think it's going be really funny at times, and disturbing at other points when it gets serious.

Cooter

I'm really curious how it does the second weekend
Not a clue because I haven't seen it but it seems to be a movie you leave thinking, "What the hell just happened?" A movie that comes together after repeat viewings. We shall see. If I enjoy it I'll be telling everyone who wants to listen.

Loxley

Well yeah, lighthearted probably isn't the best way to put it. I think it's going be really funny at times, and disturbing at other points when it gets serious.

Yeah, I'm hypothesizing that Suicide Squad will be more of a black comedy than anything, the temptation to take it in that direction is too great considering the characters involved. Deadshot/Rick Flagg will be the serious human anchors/foils that everyone else plays off of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom