• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I do :( hold me sorac.

All I've read from the story posts is great, it's a good story.

there there, critics are just frustrated film school dropouts that revel in misery, that have confused cynicism and dourness for knowledge. when you go see BvS and come out of the theater with a megawatt smile you'll forget all those silly reviews. don't believe everything you read son.

Story is not script.

story, script, plot, same shit different day.

Transformers films have taken a big hit on the domestic front over the past couple films. The last one couldn't crack 250M domestic and it seems that the horrid reviews have had some impact. Luckily for Paramount, the franchise is a beast OS especially in China where it out grossed the domestic total.

Snyder is not going to look so hot if the other films in this universe receive a better reception than his films and it becomes an ongoing trend.

it wasn't the reviews, the movies were getting worse and worse.

Boke1879

there there, critics are just frustrated film school dropouts that revel in misery, that have confused cynicism and dourness for knowledge. when you go see BvS and come out of the theater with a megawatt smile you'll forget all those silly reviews. don't believe everything you read son.

it wasn't the reviews, the movies were getting worse and worse.

That and I think people just don't care about them anymore. The novelty just wore off.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Barcelona is on the verge of another treble, at least one thing I love is doing well!

But this mediocre critical reception is disappointing and people that have watch it twice lowering their scores is not good sign for WOM. You fuck up WB, you fuck up.

duckroll

Reviews have merit, but you should definitely always form your own opinion. I mentioned "Hail, Caesar!" earlier in the thread. That has got to be one of the largest Critic/Audience dissonances that I have ever seen. It's insane how different the two sides see the film.

Speed Racer? I guess the question is who "audience" is in this case. No one watched Speed Racer. It bombed hard. But those who did tend to really, really like it.

Ashhong

What? Not at all. Ahaverus only knows the story through second hand accounts and trailers and is calling it great. The script is where it must all come together and be coherent, and he has no exposure to that yet.

Speed Racer? I guess the question is who "audience" is in this case. No one watched Speed Racer. It bombed hard. But those who did tend to really, really like it.

Because that movie was a goddamn amazing movie!

I am going to rewatch both MoS and Winter Soldier today to see if there is any jarring differences in quality. Last I remember, WS wasn't even a comic book movie. It was a goddamn spy thriller. Ironic that their best received movie is barely a comic book one.

Boke1879

Barcelona is on the verge of another treble, at least one thing I love is doing well!

But this mediocre critical reception is disappointing and people that have watch it twice lowering their scores is not good sign for WOM. You fuck up WB, you fuck up.

You're taking one post in this thread about someone lowering their score to a 7. I'm still seeing people hyped up after seeing the movie and telling others to go see it.

Ahasverus

What? Not at all. Ahaverus only knows the story through second hand accounts and trailers and is calling it great. The script is where it must all come together and be coherent, and he has no exposure to that yet.
Almost nobody has said the script is bad, but that the movie is badly edited. That's the red flag for me.

You know how I feel for real? Like when you bus a grade of college course. Seriously, I'm laughing at myself right now for being so emotionally invested on this lol. I think I need some xanax or something. Wish Ezra would come in to my house tonight and cheer my up.

The reason why I could see them take a hit and delay production to get it right is because WB has nothing else to fall back on. No more LoTR movies, and the Harry Potter spinoff is a big question mark at this point.

And even if it's a huge hit, it's presumably only going to be a biennial trilogy, whereas the DCCU is a megafranchise that they can milk 2-3 movies a year from indefinitely... in theory, anyway.

Lone Ranger and Blackhat too in my case.

It's easier to spot em out when you read positive glowing reviews that mention the real merits of the film as opposed to just "it was decent and that's it" that amounts to a 3/5 positive. I'm not getting the kind of glowing reviews that I read for those films with this one, even the positive ones are looking at it as just passable.

like i legit thought Lone Ranger was the most inspired blockbuster of that year (2013) and certainly the best of them. And it got savaged lol. like even worse than this is doing.

ReiGun

So much freaking out over a movie that 98% of us haven't seen.

I wonder what things would look like if the reviews were more positive.

Boke1879

Almost nobody has said the script is bad, but that the movie is badly edited. That's the red flag for me.

You know how I feel for real? Like when you bus a grade of college course. Seriously, I'm laughing at myself right now for being so emotionally invested on this lol. I think I need some xanax or something. Wish Ezra would come in to my house tonight and cheer my up.

Fam watch it for yourself. If you're disappointed in the movie then you have a point. But it seems that even if you enjoy it along with MANY others who do and will. You'll be upset because it reviewed poorly and you gotta deal with people on message boards bashing it. Who cares at the end of the day.

Anth0ny

Just got home from my second viewing. I'd probably take my 8.3 down to a 7/10. Some things did become more clear though. However I still don't exactly understand what so many critics have against this film.

A 7/10 has been my expectation this entire time. I'd be fully satisfied with a 7/10.

I consider Man of Steel a 4/10

And hey, MoS got an A- CinemaScore, so maybe the masses that don't post on message boards and Twitter all day really did love it and BvS' box office will reflect that. Who knows?

Ashhong

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the script also lay out the entire movie, scene for scene? Or maybe what I'm thinking of is the screenplay?

Ahasverus

Fam watch it for yourself. If you're disappointed in the movie then you have a point. But it seems that even if you enjoy it along with MANY others who do and will. You'll be upset because it reviewed poorly and you gotta deal with people on message boards bashing it. Who cares at the end of the day.
I know fam, I hope I'll join you in the sun. When will you watch it btw?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the script also lay out the entire movie, scene for scene? Or maybe what I'm thinking of is the screenplay?
You're right, but critics are saying the pacing is off and the cuts too sudden. The script is probably better laid out, with more room to breathe, and remember the assemble cut was 6 hours long, and the DC we're getting is 30 mins more, that's a lot of additional scenes, probably neccesary if we're supposing the original script was tight.

Boke1879

A 7/10 has been my expectation this entire time. I'd be fully satisfied with a 7/10.

I consider Man of Steel a 4/10

It would have been nice to get an 8/10 movie. But I was expecting a 7/10 either way. Simply just based on how this movie was perceived from the start. Give me a good, entertaining movie and I'm there.

Ashhong

You're right, but critics are saying the pacing is off and the cuts too sudden. The script is probably better laid out, with more room to breathe, and remember the assemble cut was 6 hours long, and the DC we're getting is 30 mins more, that's a lot of additional scenes, probably neccesary if we're supposing the original script was tight.

Going by the reviews, their problems are not only with the pacing and the sudden cuts. It's the entire premise and the actions of the people. I'm just saying, it's not all on Snyder.

IconGrist

Do I come off as a fanboy to you guys or is that just some assumption made about me because I don't post in Marvel threads very often?

Boke1879

Going by the reviews, their problems are not only with the pacing and the sudden cuts. It's the entire premise and the actions of the people. I'm just saying, it's not all on Snyder.

Part of that though I think goes by the MoS hate. It's not "their" Batman or Superman. I'm perfectly willing to go in and accept their portrayal of these characters.

Another one.
VjeAWZ3.jpg

So much freaking out over a movie that 98% of us haven't seen.

I wonder what things would look like if the reviews were more positive.

I'll be honest, I'm glad to have seen it already. I stand by my personal B- score, but boy, people are piling on it. Hard not to be influenced, even a tiny amount.

duckroll

Lone Ranger and Blackhat too in my case.

It's easier to spot em out when you read positive glowing reviews that mention the real merits of the film as opposed to just "it was decent and that's it" that amounts to a 3/5 positive. I'm not getting the kind of glowing reviews that I read for those films with this one, even the positive ones are looking at it as just passable.

like i legit thought Lone Ranger was the most inspired blockbuster of that year (2013) and certainly the best of them. And it got savaged lol. like even worse than this is doing.

Lone Ranger is a victim of two things - tons of press about how overbudget and bloated the movie was before it ever came out, and the controversy around Depp playing a native American. The former created negative pre-conceptions, and the latter killed a ton of goodwill. I don't know if Lone Ranger is a good film though, because I was so turned off by the look they were going for, I never watched it. :(

jackdoe

Yeah, the problem with Speed Racer was that it was a film adaptation of a 1960s Anime, so critic reviews probably had a hand in keeping people away from what was really a decent movie, worth watching at least once. As for who the audience is, I figure it's the audience who comes out in droves for big blockbuster entertainment. They like flashy spectacle that's interesting and has a satisfying conclusion. Based on what some of the posters who have seen the movie have said, Batman v Superman fulfills this criteria for the most part so it should do decently with that audience. To compare, Green Lantern didn't fulfill this criteria and it had a limp unsatisfying ending without spectacle.

And hey, MoS got an A- CinemaScore, so maybe the masses that don't post on message boards and Twitter all day really did love it and BvS' box office will reflect that. Who knows?
Well, it did almost make 300 million dollars in the US. A movie that's reviled by most of the general audience usually can't make that much money.

bryanee

Lone Ranger is a victim of two things - tons of press about how overbudget and bloated the movie was before it ever came out, and the controversy around Depp playing a native American. The former created negative pre-conceptions, and the latter killed a ton of goodwill. I don't know if Lone Ranger is a good film though, because I was so turned off by the look they were going for, I never watched it. :(

Lone Ranger has a fun ass finale.

Boke1879

Another one.

I'll be honest, I'm glad to have seen it already. I stand by my personal B- score, but boy, people are piling on it. Hard not to be influenced, even a tiny amount.

That's the big thing. Perception is a HELL of a thing. A person could be hyped to the moon and then you see all of this and it dampens it. You start to question if you even want to see it or wait to hear about it from friends.

Also it creates a negative context. You go in the movie looking for something that might be off and when you find it you latch on to it.

I'm not saying these critics are wrong. It's their opinion and I know first impressions/viewings are generally positive, but I feel if a movie is bad the general public will not be shy about saying as such. So I mean after this weekend we'll see.

Going to see if Friday at 7:30 and I can't wait.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough. So I assume based on what you watched of the movie some of these reviews seem to be pretty harsh? Why do you think that is?
I really don't understand the really harsh criticism some of these reviewers are giving it. It's not a poorly made film. Maybe they think some things weren't explained well enough? Or that the motivation for certain characters wasn't made clear enough? It does feel like a stop-gap movie between MoS and JL. I look back at what it is and wonder if they should've just made this MoS2, had less Batman and hinted at WW being around, but saved her fully for her own movie. But maybe that would've sucked and everyone would bitch about Batman being in a fully fledged Superman sequel, so what do I know?

ReiGun

Another one.

Yeah. I'm sure I'll like it more than MoS, but much like that movie, I won't feel too strongly either way.

Either way, I'm just looking forward to seeing it myself.

Dancing in the streets and we'd be talking Oscars for Snyder, Terrio and Fong.
I doubt it. I imagine things would just be reversed with fanboys busting out the "I told you so"s and haters in denial.

There was going to be a shit storm following this one no matter what.

I also wanna say I don't like the way we outright dismissed the positive first impressions. Even accounting for biases, I don't think it's fair to tell people their opinions flat out don't count. Even more leveled early impressions were brushed aside.

Ashhong

Part of that though I think goes by the MoS hate. It's not "their" Batman or Superman. I'm perfectly willing to go in and accept their portrayal of these characters.

I haven't read too many, but how many top critics are guilty of this? I have it in my head that only fanboys and nerds complain about "not my hero" stuff. I don't give a flying fuck if they do something different in the movie as long as the movie is good.

Magwik

Banned
I really don't understand the really harsh criticism some of these reviewers are giving it. It's not a poorly made film. Maybe they think some things weren't explained well enough? Or that the motivation for certain characters wasn't made clear enough? It does feel like a stop-gap movie between MoS and JL. I look back at what it is and wonder if they should've just made this MoS2, had less Batman and hinted at WW being around, but saved her fully for her own movie. But maybe that would've sucked and everyone would bitch about Batman being in a fully fledged Superman sequel, so what do I know?

They dropped the ball on Supes motivation against Batman (a scene from the trailers is bizarre), and Lex Luthor is a bit over the place, but those two in the grand scheme of things are fairly unimportant and don't ever bring the movie down like some would suggest.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
They dropped the ball on Supes motivation against Batman (a scene from the trailers is bizarre), and Lex Luthor is a bit over the place, but those two in the grand scheme of things are fairly unimportant and don't ever bring the movie down like some would suggest.
Wait, do you mean they dropped the ball in the marketing in how they explained Supes motivation against Batman, or that in the movie itself they failed to do so? I actually enjoyed Jesse's take on Luthor quite a bit since it wasn't a carbon copy of a version I've seen before. I can still see how he can GET to where the general public thinks he should be.

Dabanton

Like John Carter it was an enjoyable summer movie burdened with non stop bad press and chosen as thats years big budget summer sacrificial lamb by the film critics.

I'm really having a hard time believing this score so far. I never expected universal praise but at least better than Man of Steel's reception.

I wonder what's in it that's so offensive that it's rated below the star wars prequels & batman forever.

Boke1879

Yea some of the reviews honestly would have you believe this movie is just random shots of just shit happening with no rhyme or reason. I mean maybe I'll feel the same way after the movie I doubt it though.

Yeah. I'm sure I'll like it more than MoS, but much like that movie, I won't feel too strongly either way.

Either way, I'm just looking forward to seeing it myself.

I doubt it. I imagine things would just be reversed with fanboys busting out the "I told you so"s and haters in denial.

There was going to be a shit storm following this one no matter what.

I also wanna say I don't like the way we outright dismissed the positive first impressions. Even accounting for biases, I don't think it's fair to tell people their opinions flat out don't count. Even more leveled early impressions were brushed aside.

This. Early impressions were brushed off as is they didn't matter and shouldn't be counted. "they were wined and dined" "they got in for free so of course they'll be positive"

I mean if you're positive about your first viewing that's a big deal. Now things could definitely change after multiple viewings but still. It's like you're telling those people their opinions are wrong.

Magwik

Banned
Wait, do you mean they dropped the ball in the marketing in how they explained Supes motivation against Batman, or that in the movie itself they failed to do so? I actually enjoyed Jesse's take on Luthor quite a bit since it wasn't a carbon copy of a version I've seen before. I can still see how he can GET to where the general public thinks he should be.

I mean in the trailers the conformation scene with the Bruce in the Batmobile could have been completely removed from the film and you wouldn't notice. "The Bat is dead, bury it' has really no relevance because nothing is ever suggested that Batman retired/came out of retirement.
I'm really having a hard time believing this score so far. I never expected universal praise but at least better than Man of Steel's reception.

I wonder what's in it that's so offensive that it's rated below the star wars prequels & batman forever.
Still trying to figure that part out.

Dabanton

Just got home from my second viewing. I'd probably take my 8.3 down to a 7/10. Some things did become more clear though. However I still don't exactly understand what so many critics have against this film.

Zack Synder.

Like Michael Bay just saying his name seems to bring out certain feelings among a lot of critics.

duckroll

What? There's no way that it can....

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

TOMATOMETER 66%
Average Rating: 6.7/10

Reviews Counted: 242
Fresh: 159
Rotten: 83

Critics Consensus: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones benefits from an increased emphasis on thrilling action, although they're once again undercut by ponderous plot points and underdeveloped characters.

I don't even.....

Send help.

Ahasverus

Yeah it being worse than 2003 Daredevil is ridiculous, you can tell some critics were delighted to bash it, like that lady saying it makes you hate Batman, Superman and the entire Justice League, but still, how can you make something so unlikable is beyond me.

Boke1879

Zack Synder.

Like Michael Bay just saying his name seems to bring out certain feelings among a lot of critics.

I mean I'm no conspiracy nut, but at this point that honestly has to be the reason. Again they are critics so it's their job, but I trust a lot of you here. I don't think many of you went in with the intent to review the movie. You went in to enjoy it. Coming out of it of course hype plays a part but most of you have been critical of certain parts, but overall liking the movie.

Its like the earlier poster said, the first two hours of Lone Ranger is slow, plodding, and basically forgettable. The last 15 minutes is one of the best action sequences in movie history set to an awesome version of the William Tell overture. I've told friends who like action movies to rent Lone Ranger from redbox just for the ending.

Vinter

Impossible to give a unbiased opinion right now, but I liked the movie a lot. The weird thing is that the movie got good reviews in the newspapers around here, but most of the Marvel movies got more mediocre scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom