• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I will most likely like the movie, but that comes from my pre existent love for the characters and probably some emotional extrapolation. I wanted this movie to have the same effect of TDK. Remember when even non cbm fans were amazed by its quality? When you were proud because your tastes just aligned with the mainstream without sacrificing the nature of the adaptation. This movie had it all, really, all to shine. Except a director, it seems.
76% of the moviegoers liked MoS according to RT. Don't let a loud minority of people convince you MoS isn't enjoyable. The same will probably happen with this.

Error, this is not how you spoilertag. Seriously, I can easily tell what's in your spoilertaggs just reading the rest. Thankfully, someone spoiled that to me already.

actually what he spoiler tagged was that sex scene with Bruce and Martha Kent. damn she still got it, hell she never lost it.

Fuck the reviews too,most of them is the tired shit of comparing it to Marvel and whatever, what I'm pissed about is that he made a legit mediocre movie with a good script. The story is good, how could he mess up his chance for redemption? How could he make something so unlikable with the PERFECT INGREDIENTS? At this point, I know the DC will be amazing but not because Snyder is some genius hindered by the suits but because more of the script will come out. He must go, plain and simple. Wait until you see Suicide Squad with a 90% RT and a worse story.

I will most likely like the movie, but that comes from my pre existent love for the characters and probably some emotional extrapolation. I wanted this movie to have the same effect of TDK. Remember when even non cbm fans were amazed by its quality? When you were proud because your tastes just aligned with the mainstream without sacrificing the nature of the adaptation. This movie had it all, really, all to shine. Except a director, it seems.

do you need a hug?

that question wasn't actually directed at you but ok. Batman has killed in most of his movies, Burton and Nolan didn't "get" Batman either I guess. nothing he did in MoS "disrespected" the characters. nothing. I would rather the film take chances with the characters than go the safe route. as for Batman not torturing criminals? do you think breaking bones and nearly crippling people is not a form of torture?
Shhh, we aren't supposed to mention or know that.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
that question wasn't actually directed at you but ok. Batman has killed in most of his movies, Burton and Nolan didn't "get" Batman either I guess. nothing he did in MoS "disrespected" the characters. nothing. I would rather the film take chances with the characters than go the safe route. as for Batman not torturing criminals? do you think breaking bones and nearly crippling people is not a form of torture?

Well
the deaths in the nolan trilogy are masked well enough that you can say well that's part of collateral damage. I don't like Burton's Batman much, and Returns was awful to me. In this movie he apparently stabs some dude in the heart. He actively killed someone.

That's my problem with it.

Penguin

Well
the deaths in the nolan trilogy are masked well enough that you can say well that's part of collateral damage. I don't like Burton's Batman much, and Returns was awful to me. In this movie he apparently stabs some dude in the heart. He actively killed someone.

I think he actually
stabs him in the chest, but not the heart. More for pain not for murder. There are other times when it's clearly murder like 2 mins later

duckroll

I'm cool, just disappointed, I'm sure Suicide Squad is gonna be great and all. But JL is coming off such shaky ground with MoS and BvS. I don't know. They have WW and SS to turn it around and establish some good will, it'll be interesting. I'm pretty sure Snyder is going to get dropped and JL pushed back, McWheeny's prediction might actually turn out to be true after all.

Hey, the movie is turning out basically exactly as I expected, so I'm still excited to watch it! Low expectations ftw. I really doubt they can afford to drop Snyder just because of negative reviews though. It's still going to make a ton of money and it's a little late to stop production now. Unless they pull an Ant-Man on it. :p

Ashhong

Fuck the reviews too,most of them is the tired shit of comparing it to Marvel and whatever, what I'm pissed about is that he made a legit mediocre movie with a good script. The story is good, how could he mess up his chance for redemption? How could he make something so unlikable with the PERFECT INGREDIENTS? At this point, I know the DC will be amazing but not because Snyder is some genius hindered by the suits but because more of the script will come out. He must go, plain and simple. Wait until you see Suicide Squad with a 90% RT and a worse story.

The script was obviously not good enough. It's not the perfect ingredients. That being said, watch it first. Maybe you will love it and hate the audience for not liking it

IconGrist

Well

Where did you hear
he stabbed someone in the heart?
Think you got some bad info there.

ReiGun

He's like the Marvel fans who praised Joss Whedon for Avengers, praised him during the promotional period of Age of Ultron, and then proceeded to throw him under the bus after Age of Ultron was released. Except all occurring within a 24 hour time span.

People's flip flopping on Whedon was a sight to behold.

First: "The Buffy guy? A TV director?"
scust.png

Then the movie comes out: "THANK YOU BASED WHEDON."
rejoice.png

Then the lead up to AoU: "Whedon the Gawd got this. Bow down, lesser comic book movies."
smugdon.png

Then AoU comes out and Whedon peaces out of social media and life cause of the pressure: "I always knew he wasn't shit. And Dollhouse was trash!"
pacspit.gif

The internet is very "What have you done for me lately?"

Penguin

Hey, the movie is turning out basically exactly as I expected, so I'm still excited to watch it! Low expectations ftw. I really doubt they can afford to drop Snyder just because of negative reviews though. It's still going to make a ton of money and it's a little late to stop production now. Unless they pull an Ant-Man on it. :p

They can always do a Donner.

But I do think... they may have to look into it.

I like MoS and BvS, but after a while there's just gonna be trepidation around his involvement, and they can't afford for lukewarm reception if the reviews or whatever aren't gonna knock it out of the park.

I'm curious to see how this all breaks down. I mean not insane, spoke with friends who also saw and they enjoyed it as well. And it's not just one or two people.

duckroll

The internet is very "What have you done for me lately?"

Nah that's just entertainment fans in general. The internet just makes that more visible on a big public space that remains archived. Even before the internet, the popular media narrative of an entertainer has always been defined by his or her latest success, failure, or scandal.

Well

but you absolutely don't like the take that Batman is failing in his mission and that maybe a Superman showing up in the world is what puts on the right path again? what gives him hope again? I find that fascinating and something worth digging into.

comic book characters are like toys, you play with them and you make up a million and one different stories with wildly different scenarios. when you are done you put them away and then someone else gets a turn to play with them.

and they come up with their own stories. how boring would it be if Burton, Schumacher, Nolan and Snyder all did the exact same character. as comic book fans we accept when a new writer takes over for our favorite character and we get to read his take on it. same applies to movies.

Is a co-director an option? Film will make money and critics don't have the pulse of general audience, but I can imagine weak legs if they are tepid.

Cooter

They can always do a Donner.

But I do think... they may have to look into it.

I like MoS and BvS, but after a while there's just gonna be trepidation around his involvement, and they can't afford for lukewarm reception if the reviews or whatever aren't gonna knock it out of the park.

I'm curious to see how this all breaks down. I mean not insane, spoke with friends who also saw and they enjoyed it as well. And it's not just one or two people.
I think this will do well OW of course and I'm not certain bad reviews will hurt its legs because the early evidence from the overwhelming amount of people who have seen it enjoyed it and have expressed a desire to see it again.

Ninjimbo

Those things all bring certain expectations, and Snyder just wasn't able to capitalize on that to satisfy the expectations. BvS seems to be following a similar pattern but with even more ambition. Snyder has a ton of heart, but he just isn't that great at being that sort of director.
I wish I knew the directors who were good at being that kind of director. I would know where those critics are coming from when Snyder gets called a hack or whatever. I've seen all his movies and I think at the very least they're competently made (all of them) but yet, you get a very strong reaction from detractors and I can't quite pinpoint why. What the hell is he doing wrong?

I'm still confused by MoS's reception. I remember going into that movie thinking that it would be mediocre based on reviews but then leaving the theater thinking the movie was close to achieving greatness were it not for a few awkward scenes and contrived plot points.

duckroll

I'm not sure about that. I mean, Michael Bay is still directing Transformers 5 right? He's still the man leading the Transformers "vision" (lol) for Paramount. The studio is investing into a whole "cinematic universe" (roflmao) for the franchise now too. And this is all being built on the back of a series of film with terrible critical reception. The combined RT rating for Age of Extinction and Revenge of the Fallen is just barely above Sucker Punch's. That's how bad we're talking.

I mean, it's possible that producers at WB might actually be concerned about quality and value that over their long friendship with Snyder and his people. But that seems less likely than them ignoring reviews as long as the films are financially successful and have a happy fanbase outside of that. If the poor critical reception translates into box office poison, sure, Snyder has to go. But until then, I think business as usual makes more sense.

BadAss2961

Roman.gif

Calm down bro. Breathe...

Ashhong

I wish I knew the directors who were good at being that kind of director. I would know where those critics are coming from when Snyder gets called a hack or whatever. I've seen all his movies and I think at the very least they're competently made (all of them) but yet, you get a very strong reaction from detractors and I can't quite pinpoint why. What the hell is he doing wrong?

I'm still confused by MoS's reception. I remember going into that movie thinking that it would be mediocre based on reviews but then leaving the theater thinking the movie was close to achieving greatness were it not for a few awkward scenes and contrived plot points.

His movies are too dark and self serious for most people. That's the only thing I can think of. People want to go to movies to feel good, and a super serious movie doesn't work for them unless it's extremely good or a true story

jackdoe

I'm not sure about that. I mean, Michael Bay is still directing Transformers 5 right? He's still the man leading the Transformers "vision" (lol) for Paramount. The studio is investing into a whole "cinematic universe" (roflmao) for the franchise now too. And this is all being built on the back of a series of film with terrible critical reception. The combined RT rating for Age of Extinction and Revenge of the Fallen is just barely above Sucker Punch's. That's how bad we're talking.

I mean, it's possible that producers at WB might actually be concerned about quality and value that over their long friendship with Snyder and his people. But that seems less likely than them ignoring reviews as long as the films are financially successful and have a happy fanbase outside of that. If the poor critical reception translates into box office poison, sure, Snyder has to go. But until then, I think business as usual makes more sense.
As I've said earlier, unless Snyder has a history of being overbudget, finishing late, AND pissing off top level executives, he's pretty much safe unless the general audience HATES the movie (like Fantastic 4 reboot levels) and the film underperforms.

Error

The reason why they could take a hit and delay production is because WB has nothing else to fall back on. No more LoTR movies, and the Harry Potter spinoff is a big question mark at this point. They needed everyone on board this universe they are developing, have successful movies both critically (for prestige) and financially (to keep investors happy). Also they have a huge advantage over Marvel Studios, they own DC completely so they can use whatever character they want. It was time to finally get this running, but having 2 divisive movies in a row is not good at all. I mean not all of Marvel Studios movies are good, the Thor movies and the Hulk movie with Norton aren't good at all. But the movies that mattered like Iron Man 1 (being the first) and The Avengers (the culmination of years of build up) they got everyone on board those and after that it was smooth sailing from there on out.

Movies that are completely average like AoU even get good critical reception just because. I mean it even happens with the CWverse, I enjoy Legends of Tomorrow but looking at it objectively it's a very average show but because it's setup in a established universe it's better received than it would've been otherwise.

Penguin

I feel like unlike Transformers, there's a viable and successful alternative to this universe if you want your superhero fix.

We shall see.

I'm sure 2nd weekend box office discussion will be the other big talking point on GAF.

As long as BvS breaks $1B worldwide, they'll probably proceed with their current plans. Less than that, and I would expect to see some changes.

But I've never thought $1B was a foregone conclusion, and I certainly don't after reading these reviews. We'll see soon enough if it's anywhere near as critic-proof as the Transformers franchise has proven to be.

Cooter

I feel like unlike Transformers, there's a viable and successful alternative to this universe if you want your superhero fix.

We shall see.

I'm sure 2nd weekend box office discussion will be the other big talking point on GAF.
Any predictions for a 2nd weekend drop? Obviously it's a total stab in the dark but you have more insight than most.

3N16MA

Banned

Transformers films have taken a big hit on the domestic front over the past couple films. The last one couldn't crack 250M domestic and it seems that the horrid reviews have had some impact. Luckily for Paramount, the franchise is a beast OS especially in China where it out grossed the domestic total.

Snyder is not going to look so hot if the other films in this universe receive a better reception than his films and it becomes an ongoing trend.

Tabby

I just don't get it...I appreciate that there have been some great films in the MCU and I'm excited for Civil War but how can tripe like Thor The Dark World and Ant-Man review so well....

Because they're safe and therefore average. I'd rather get a below average movie CBM that tries to be different than a safe Marvel movie, then again I like ASM and MOS is in my top 3 CBM so what do I know.

Basically. I don't know what those reviewers were expecting, but all I want is fun action and an entertaining story. Everything else is icing

duckroll

Christopher Nolan and David Fincher are two examples. The former is far more commercially viable but the latter is more uncompromising and less willing to pander. I think that's the sort of quality bar critics look at when approaching films that deal with fantastical or exaggerated ideas grounded in a very serious and moody setting. The difference between Snyder and these directors though, is that Snyder lacks the experience or ability to really sell a scene on character acting no matter who he casts. To make it worse for himself though, he doesn't shy from it. His films have been increasingly more character centric, with themes which live and die by whether audiences are convinced by the motivations and psyche of the characters. Snyder is also pretty poor at overseeing the editing of his films. The pacing is generally off, they either feel too long or too short, and entire acts tend to feel jumpy or incomlpete because of poor editing. The entire Clark part of MoS before he becomes Superman is a great example of that. It should have been a fantastic growing curve, but instead feels like a jumble of ideas instead.

His movies are too dark and self serious for most people. That's the only thing I can think of. People want to go to movies to feel good, and a super serious movie doesn't work for them unless it's extremely good or a true story

Too dark and too serious are just poor descriptions used by people who cannot fully articulate the specific things wrong with Snyder's films. Or personal preferences, in which case it's not really fair to hold it against him for taste. There are plenty of real technical shortcomings he has as a filmmaker though.

Boke1879

We shall see.

Word of mouth will make or break this. Hopefully general audiences going to the movie will have positive impressions. Because people who want this to fail and haven't seen the movie will bring up it's critical reception.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Because they're safe and therefore average. I'd rather get a below average movie CBM that tries to be different than a safe Marvel movie, then again I like ASM and MOS is in my top 3 CBM so what do I know.
This movie takes way more chances than Thor and Ant-Man did (and I like both of those movies very much). Do they all pan out, no, but man it's a fun ride getting there and it visually LOOKS amazing.

Cooter

This movie takes way more chances than Thor and Ant-Man did (and I like both of those movies very much). Do they all pan out, no, but man it's a fun ride getting there and it visually LOOKS amazing.
Did you get your re-watch?

That feeling when you want to know if some criticism you've heard of the film is something to worry about but you don't want to venture into the spoiler thread to find out..

Error

The reason why I could see them take a hit and delay production to get it right is because WB has nothing else to fall back on. No more LoTR movies, and the Harry Potter spinoff is a big question mark at this point. They needed everyone on board this universe they are developing, have successful movies, movies that make tons of money. Also they have a huge advantage over Marvel Studios, they own DC completely so they can use whatever character they want. It was time to finally get this running, but having 2 divisive movies in a row is not good at all. I mean not all of Marvel Studios movies are good, the Thor movies and the Hulk movie with Norton aren't good at all. But the movies that mattered like Iron Man 1 (being the first) and The Avengers (the culmination of years of build up) they got everyone on board those and after that it was smooth sailing from there on out.

Movies that are completely average like AoU even get good critical reception just because. I mean it even happens with the CWverse, I enjoy Legends of Tomorrow but looking at it objectively it's a very average show but because it's setup in a established universe it's better received than it would've been otherwise.

of course if it makes a lot money then it's all moot, because that's what matters in the end.

2nd weekend is gonna be VERY telling.

jackdoe

IM3 was well reviewed and that film is a big turd.

Never trust those scores.
Reviews have merit, but you should definitely always form your own opinion. I mentioned "Hail, Caesar!" earlier in the thread. That has got to be one of the largest Critic/Audience dissonances that I have ever seen. It's insane how different the two sides see the film.

Boke1879

Probably a 7-7.5/10. MoS I thought was a 6.5/10 (and I did enjoy it). Dark Knight is still my GOAT and I'd give that a 9.

Fair enough. So I assume based on what you watched of the movie some of these reviews seem to be pretty harsh? Why do you think that is?

Magwik

Banned
Just got home from my second viewing. I'd probably take my 8.3 down to a 7/10. Some things did become more clear though. However I still don't exactly understand what so many critics have against this film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom