• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
9wGMD.gif

Reminding me so much of 'BvS vs. TDK' first impressions, haha.

a916

Wonder Woman needs to knock it out of the park, for several reasons. I hope Jenkins knows what she's doing.

Well, she made a great movie once, it was really great. But that was ages ago and it was a very different kind of movie, really different. It could go either way. I think the buzz is positive so I'm hopeful, but it's the wildcard, yeah. On a personal level I'd love for WW to kick ass, she deserves her Batman Begins. She's a very important character in fiction, given her role AND the age she was introduced, not to mention how she has probably the most solid ongoing comic book in the medium.

I don't know why you say you know what to expect with Aquaman, I certainly don't lol, but Wan knows how to deliver mass spectacle, it will be fine.

Sorry, I should explain. I know what I'm getting with James Wan. I've enjoyed a lot of his movies, so in those terms, I kind of know what type of flavor I'm getting. Which I would love, especially if he borrows elements from Conjuring but it's as fun as his Furious movies.

Yager

Banned
Sometimes I feel there's something wrong with me. Just got out of watching Xmen, and I enjoyed it (and BvS) more than Civil War.

Kibbles

I actually saw a fair number of tweeters two days before release date debating if BvS was better than TDK. I don't know if those tweeters saw the Ultimate Cut, but their 'opinions' are faulty either way, and as are the ones for SS.
Really? I remember thread after thread shitting on BvS and how WB was in a panic because screenings wernt going down well in the weeks before BvS's release

Tabby

Sometimes I feel there's something wrong with me. Just got out of watching Xmen, and I enjoyed it (and BvS) more than Civil War.

Couldn't agree more. Though I enjoyed BvS more than Civil War purely because I prefer DC, Civil War is the better movie though.

X-Men no doubt my favourite comic book movie so far this year.

Really? I remember thread after thread shitting on BvS and how WB was in a panic because screenings wernt going down well in the weeks before BvS's release

Before the RT thread? Nah, people were very positive about its prospects. There was an entire first impressions thread filled to the brim with 'best CBM movie ever!' tweets over and over and 'close to TDK in quality' reports.

Hence my scepticism. After that film, I think the nail has been firmly locked in the coffin for the credibility of any bunch of first impressions for a movie.

Boke1879

Couldn't agree more. Though I enjoyed BvS more than Civil War purely because I prefer DC, Civil War is the better movie though.

This I agree with. CW is much better paced and structured. Add to the fact is has humor and good action sequences. That said. The nature of the struggle regarding the accords is very basic imo. It's either "you agree with this line of thinking or you agree with that line of thinking"

But personally I enjoyed both BvS and CW the same really.

I would like Marvel movies to create better Scores for their movies. The music in CW was very basic, almost stock Hollywood music.

If they invest in a high caliber composer, some scenes would have much better impacts.

Still I hope Sucide Squad has a good score.

Yager

Banned

I agree with that, but I find Civil War to be so "structured" that it lacks any emotion. The fact that I've always been a DC guy, and that I like the X-Men more than most of the other Marvel properties might have something to do too.

i love xmen too, more specifically the singer ones. i'm hearing mixed things though. just a few more days til i see it.

anyways in regard to OST comments I hear ottman knocks it out of the park again for apocalypse. ottman and zimmer are carrying this genre on their back right now at this point.

i love xmen too, more specifically the singer ones. i'm hearing mixed things though. just a few more days til i see it.

anyways in regard to OST comments I hear ottman knocks it out of the park again for apocalypse. ottman and zimmer are carrying this genre on their back right now at this point.
Zimmer isn't doing anymore superhero scores right?

I really wanted to hear Aquaman from him, there so much you can do with water themes

Ahasverus

I can't wait for the un-snyderfied Wonder Woman's theme. We got a small glimpse of it in BvS (The Email scene) and I bet it sounds great in its full version.

J_Viper

One thing I hope WW avoids is that intentionally cheesey, "aw-shucks"-vibe that Cap 1 had going on. It nearly ruined the movie for me.

I mean, I don't see it happening given how different her origin is, but still.

One thing I hope WW avoids is that intentional cheesey, "aw-shucks"-vibe that Cap 1 had going on. It nearly ruined the movie for me.

Forget the origin, it's WWI. Not a lot of room for aw shucks heroes there.

guek

Banned
One thing I hope WW avoids is that intentional cheesey, "aw-shucks"-vibe that Cap 1 had going on. It nearly ruined the movie for me.

You probably don't need to worry too much about that.

Was listening to Man of Steel's score and I gotta say, it's better then what TDK series had.

Although to be fair, Hope as THE main theme of the movie gave Hans more to work with.

Was listening to Man of Steel's score and I gotta say, it's better then what TDK series had.

Although to be fair, Hope as THE main theme of the movie gave Hans more to work with.

A good portion of the BvS score is taken from his original sketchbook, which was a 28 mins track on the B side of Man of Steel. It's fucking fantastic.

And really, Hans and Junkie are the key to the soundtracks. And now, just Junkie. Henry Jackmans TWS score is my favorite from Marvel, but CW was basically forgettable.

I'm optimistic that we'll get some kicknass themes.

I'm still curious about how they're going to handle that. WWI is... not the kind of conflict that lends itself well to power fantasy shooter campaigns.
Yes it does. Crossing no man's land through a hailstorm of lead and artillery, tanks, bi-planes, chasing down artillery tanks on horseback and motorcycles, melee kills, spy/espionage stealth, naval battles, etc.

You can totally do a shooter campaign like that with WW1. Won't capture the tone and mood one would want for a WW1 game, but it's possible

A good portion of the BvS score is taken from his original sketchbook, which was a 28 mins track on the B side of Man of Steel. It's fucking fantastic.

And really, Hans and Junkie are the key to the soundtracks. And now, just Junkie. Henry Jackmans TWS score is my favorite from Marvel, but CW was basically forgettable.

I'm optimistic that we'll get some kicknass themes.

We won't get anything memorable from Henry Jackman, i've seen half of his filmography and played Uncharted 4. And the only thing i can say is i don't remember any standout music from his scores.

Yes it does. Crossing no man's land through a hailstorm of lead and artillery, tanks, bi-planes, chasing down artillery tanks on horseback and motorcycles, melee kills, spy/espionage stealth, naval battles, etc.

You can totally do a shooter campaign like that with WW1. Won't capture the tone and mood one would want for a WW1 game, but it's possible

You can do a shooter campaign in something that superficially resembles WWI, but without the, you know, oppressive misery, trenchfoot, futile pushes across no-mans-land, etc. it really isn't WWI, is it?

guek

Banned
We won't get anything memorable from Henry Jackman, i've seen half of his filmography and played Uncharted 4. And the only thing i can say is i don't remember any standout music from his scores.
What. Jackman already has a respectable filmography. Everyone has duds here and there.

guek

Banned
So you're saying i've listened to all his duds and none of his good ones.

Well it's presumptuous to say we wont ever get anything memorable from him when plenty of his work is already well regarded. Winter Soldier and First Class both have top notch scores. Kingsman and Kick-Ass are really solid as well. You might not like them but it's not like he has an established history of consistently bad scores.

I mean, I'm not going to judge Hans Zimmer by his Amazing Spider-man 2 score which I found atrocious.

Recently Henry Jackman's work on Kingsman is great. Couple tracks on X-Men FC are solid, too. Uncharted 4 and Cap 2&3, I'll say there are moments playing U4 where the music is nigh interchangeable with various tracks from those films. Of which are practically interchangeable with Jablonsky's score on Battleship. That's not to say it's bad, but in contrast of how impressively crafted other areas of U4 and Cap 2&3 are, it stands out.

ReiGun

This I agree with. CW is much better paced and structured. Add to the fact is has humor and good action sequences. That said. The nature of the struggle regarding the accords is very basic imo. It's either "you agree with this line of thinking or you agree with that line of thinking"

But personally I enjoyed both BvS and CW the same really.

Both movies are kind of built on shakey ground regarding their central conflict in that both could have been solved by the characters acting like adults and actually discussing their differences. Of course, that doesn't make for an exciting blockbuster, so everyone started punching instead.

Both movies are kind of built on shakey ground regarding their central conflict in that both could have been solved by the characters acting like adults and actually discussing their differences. Of course, that doesn't make for an exciting blockbuster, so everyone started punching instead.

I have a conspiracy theory regarding the ending of civil war. The theory is
the civil war writers and BvS Writers swapped notes and the CW writers changed their ending because it was too much like BvS' ending. Instead of Zemo killing the other winter soldier's when he gets to the bunker he leaves them alive, and at the moment where Tony is suppose to flip out and try and kill bucky, he doesn't and acts like reasonable person that he is. Zemo gets butt hurt his stupid plan doesn't work and he wakes up the other Winter Soldiers, al-la Lex and Doomsday.

Ashhong

Well it's presumptuous to say we wont ever get anything memorable from him when plenty of his work is already well regarded. Winter Soldier and First Class both have top notch scores. Kingsman and Kick-Ass are really solid as well. You might not like them but it's not like he has an established history of consistently bad scores.

I mean, I'm not going to judge Hans Zimmer by his Amazing Spider-man 2 score which I found atrocious.

I cant remember a single theme from any MCU movie. Not a one.

Honestly I can recall ASM2's theme over all the mcu stuff and I only saw that the one time in theaters and hated the movie.

They just aren't good at incorporating their music into their films. Outside of guardians and the iron man movies and their use of licensed stuff.

Dead

well not really...yet
Alan SIlvestri's score for the first Captain American is the only thing resembling actual music that can be found in any of the MCU flicks. Did Winter Soldier even have a score?

guek

Banned
I cant remember a single theme from any MCU movie. Not a one.
Umm...so? We weren't talking about MCU scores specifically so I'm not sure why you have such a big axe to grind.

Alan SIlvestri's score for the first Captain American is the only thing resembling actual music that can be found in any of the MCU flicks. Did Winter Soldier even have a score?

lowqualitybait.jpg

There only two songs in the MCU i can recall The Avengers (based Silvestri) theme. And a song from GotG but only because Brian Tyler recycled it from his God of War Ascension work (which i love)

I remember like 20 seconds of the Avenger theme and the AC/DC music in all of the Iron Man movies if that counts.

I assume Junkie XL takes over composing duties since he's worked with Zimmer a couple times now. They probably talked about where they'd go in the future which will give Junkie something to build on.

Outside of MCU and WB-DC, Horner's Amazing Spider-Man work I quite like. DoFP is excellent. Deadpool is good stuff despite the same issue as GoTG; licensed tracks overshadow the score.

Ninjimbo

For what it's worth, I think MoS has the best ost out of all these superhero flicks and it's not really a contest. Zimmer did a good job with both Supes and Batman since they each have a recognizable theme to go along with them. That's my low ass bar for judging the quality of OSTs and for some reason a bunch of movies fail to even deliver something as basic as that. I really can't recall any of the music in the MCU films for example. I watch so many movies in the theaters and it's rare that I come out of the movie thinking about the soundtrack, which is a shame.

A lot of my favorite movies have memorable music like the LOTR trilogy (the GOAT), Spirited Away, Braveheart etc. I feel like Hollywood in general has let me down a little in this department over the past few years.

I really didn't like BvS OT. In a vacuum the songs sound good, but in practice they're all rather... similar, in tone if not in composition. There's like 3 upbeat bars in the whole thing, even scenes that are supposed to be heroic just come off as tense, at best.

I really didn't like BvS OT. In a vacuum the songs sound good, but in practice they're all rather... similar, in tone if not in composition. There's like 3 upbeat bars in the whole thing, even scenes that are supposed to be heroic just come off as tense, at best.
The film isn't cohesive, scenes move too fast and editing is all over the place hurting the score.

the only songs I liked was Beautiful Lie and Their war here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom