• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

The official press release:
http://www.warnerbros.com/studio/news/stars-commit-suicide-squad

Stars Commit to “Suicide Squad”

(December 2, 2014 – Burbank, CA) – An all-star roster of actors has joined Warner Bros. Pictures’ new action adventure “Suicide Squad,” bringing DC Comics’ super villain team to the big screen under the direction of David Ayer (“Fury”). The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

The film will star two-time Oscar nominee Will Smith (“The Pursuit of Happyness,” “Ali,” upcoming “Focus”) as Deadshot; Tom Hardy (“The Dark Knight Rises,” upcoming “Mad Max: Fury Road”) as Rick Flagg; Margot Robbie (“The Wolf of Wall Street,” upcoming “Focus,” the “Tarzan” movie) as Harley Quinn; Oscar winner Jared Leto (“Dallas Buyers Club,” “Alexander”) as the Joker; Jai Courtney (“Divergent,” upcoming “The Water Diviner”) as Boomerang; and Cara Delevingne (“Anna Karenina,” upcoming “Pan”) as Enchantress.

In making the announcement, Silverman said, “The Warner Bros. roots are deep on this one. David Ayer returns to the studio where he wrote ‘Training Day’ and brings his incredible ability to craft multidimensional villains to this iconic DC property with a cast of longtime Warner collaborators Will Smith and Tom Hardy, and other new and returning favorites: Margot, Jared, Jai and Cara. We look forward to seeing this terrific ensemble, under Ayer’s amazing guidance, give new meaning to what it means to be a villain and what it means to be a hero.”

Ayer is also writing the script for “Suicide Squad,” which is being produced by Charles Roven (“The Dark Knight” trilogy, upcoming “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice”) and Richard Suckle (“American Hustle”). Zack Snyder, Deborah Snyder, Colin Wilson and Geoff Johns are serving as executive producers.

The film is slated for release on August 5, 2016.

DaveH

On the topic of press releases... it's my understanding that officially, Warner Brothers has "no comment" on Michelle MacLaren signing as the director for Wonder Woman. The story was broke by the reputable trade Hollywood Reporter, such that everyone has been accepting it as fact.

However, if it is a "fact" that's out there, why has the WB remained tight lipped about MacLaren, yet providing more information than was even rumored (who is cast as which characters) with Suicide Squad? What do you think the strategy / intention is?

IconGrist

On the topic of press releases... it's my understanding that officially, Warner Brothers has "no comment" on Michelle MacLaren signing as the director for Wonder Woman. The story was broke by the reputable trade Hollywood Reporter, such that everyone has been accepting it as fact.

However, if it is a "fact" that's out there, why has the WB remained tight lipped about MacLaren, yet providing more information than was even rumored (who is cast as which characters) with Suicide Squad? What do you think the strategy / intention is?

Probaby waiting until they have a writer.

J10

Banned
I just randomly remembered that the Wachowskis had a Plastic Man script ready to shoot like a decade ago. They should get back on that.

DaveH

Musing triggered by the Plastic Man reminder....

I think a lot of projects like that will hinge on New Line's Shazam. Marvel couldn't accept Edgar Wright's vision for Ant Man, which is their prerogative, but it's also locking themselves into a house style.

What little we know about Shazam tends to indicate that it will not be bound by the preceding DCCU films and any house style that may or may not exist. If Warner Brothers can successfully farm out their IP, without having the forfeit the film rights, allowing the filmmakers to do their own thing, and audiences still wanting to buy in without the explicit continuity tie-in... then you've got something to make creatives like the Wachowskis and Wright excited about doing a superhero genre film.

While that was true before they setup their cinematic universe plan, that was also back when the WB was milking their franchises. Now that they're building franchises, they be hesitant to put stuff out that doesn't tie directly to their connected mega-franchise (each film a subtle sequel in a sense)... except, that they've proven they're willing to at least try with Shazam. Not to mention Sandman and Dark Universe.

The closest Marvel has come to the equivalent is Big Hero 6 (different studio but same parent corporation), but then Marvel also has their licensed out properties (Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four) generating out-of-universe content that people still want to watch... can WB do it all under one parent?

Odoul

I knew nothing about Aquaman outside of the 60's Superfriends, Justice League Unlimited and Batman: BatB; so I looked him up.

Ocean Master could be incredible if done justice on the screen. He's also going to be called a total Loki ripoff.

Black Manta conversely could also easily come across corny as shit.

Maddocks

Seems a few sites, ok I only seen Latino-Review say that Viola Davis is going to play Waller. Even more hyped if true.

J10

Banned
Oprah is dream casting, a million to one shot. No one should have been holding their breath for that.

I know that possible Oprah casting choice has Heath Ledger Joker like potential, but I"m just not feeling it, a little too on the nose. Rather they go with someone else and just play it safe.

In all likelyhood all six will be cannibalized and condensed into a single script.

For the sake of the movie not turning out like The Amazing Spider-Man 2, I really hope this is not the case. What I think/hope is going on is that WB is just hedging their bets seeing what screenplay they see best fits the universe and makes for the better movie. If the latter is the case, it just shows how care they have for these properties. And that's a good thing.

Penguin

For the sake of the movie not turning out like The Amazing Spider-Man 2, I really hope this is not the case. What I think/hope is going on is that WB is just hedging their bets seeing what screenplay they see best fits the universe and makes for the better movie. If the latter is the case, it just shows how care they have for these properties. And that's a good thing.

Yeah, much like Aquaman

They probably don't have a clear vision so will take the best script or combine like two of the better ones into something coherent.

Effect

Yeah, much like Aquaman

They probably don't have a clear vision so will take the best script or combine like two of the better ones into something coherent.

I have to assume they have an outline for the story based on the universe that they want to build. The major events and plot points they want hit. I hope that's the case and just want to see what different writers can come up with that links all the events because screenplay writing is different from normal story writing.

Penguin

This is the thread for any ole rumor so here's one on the Suicide Squad focus-testing....

OK so I apologize if I don't do this right, this is my 1st time on reddit and my first time posting. The reason I'm posting is because I spent a good hour over at Warner Brothers with a few people; and they did a focus test group regarding the upcoming film: Suicide Squad.

They made this apparent from the focus test, but a few of these things were set in stone, others were still a work in progress.

First thing they did was quiz us on our knowledge on the Suicide Squad; there were a lot of questions about our knowledge on the new 52 Suicide Squad and particularly Harley Quinn. From general conversations, it sounds like Harley Quinn may be the protagonist of the movie.

The director of the movie joined us; he asked whether any of us had watched Speed. He said that that blend of action with a time sensitive conflict was what inspired the plot of Suicide Squad.

The director asked what we enjoyed more in an action movie, a serious action movie like The Raid or a more comedic approach like in the Jump Street movies.
Near the end, we were broken into groups of three (there were 9 of us total) and given a one page summary of the plot, we were asked to describe what we liked and didn't like.

What we were given mentioned Harley Quinn being needed to decipher a complex series of bombs planted throughout Gotham. Harley is estranged from The Joker, and her knowledge is being used to figure out where The Joker has placed the bombs. Deathstroke is a Amanda Waller's personal bodyguard, and he's placed in the squad to oversee that they do not deviate from the mission perimeters. The plot then becomes more complex as The Joker has a far more complex goal in mind.

I'm paraphrasing what the other plots were, but they all deviated slightly. Some had Harley as being a part of the squad, but betraying them for The Joker. The other involved a conspiracy from Lex Luthor which involves working with The Joker.

My final impressions are positive. Before we left the director showed us concept art. Some were ok. The boomerang guy and the witch girl were not that great. I really liked Deathstrokes design, they really gave him this realistic but tech-geared look that is probably the best design I've ever seen of Deathstroke.
Based on what I saw, I would love to go see this movie when it releases.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/2pxse7/suicide_squad_details/

Tabby

I feel like meant Deadshot... since Deathstroke hasn't been confirmed for the movie yet?

And I think the idea works since mostly a gun for hire

From the comments of that thread, he definitely means Deathstroke.

I hope so. Mercenary for hire Deathstroke is the only Deathstroke I want to see.

But Deathstroke is already on Arrow.

I hope he isn't in the movie.

Agreed. He's too big a character to just make cameo appearance. I don't mind if they mention him here and there but he definitely deserves a movie where he is the focus. Perhaps Suicide Squad 2?

DaveH

A great article / interview with Michelle MacLaren

http://www.vulture.com/2014/12/michelle-maclaren-wonder-woman.html

Unfortunately, a lot of less analytical sites aren't reading it carefully and choosing to wrongfully claim and sensationalize that "Michelle MacLaren says Wonder Woman isn't green lit and doesn't have a script!"

To get out in front of that misinterpretation before it gets posted here, the "greenlit" part that those sites are picking up on is the speculation of the author, not MacLaren.

There’s not even an official green light from the film’s releasing studio, Warner Bros. — and even if there were, nondisclosure agreements and her paranoia about jinxing things would keep her mum.

I don't know what the author considers "greenlit" to mean, but he appears to be saying there hasn't been an official press release by the studio about Wonder Woman exclusively but there was an official press release slating Wonder Woman along with the other films when the announced their slate. However, it is clear that the statement is HIS and not MacLaren's because he qualifies it by saying even if there were MacLaren couldn't say anything... which is to say, MacLaren didn't say it wasn't greenlit and didn't say there wasn't a script.

Additionally, the interaction is likely two or more months old:

“I approach an action sequence almost like a mathematical problem,” MacLaren says over drinks in a West Hollywood hotel bar, a few weeks before her Wonder Woman assignment hit the internet.

The only part of the article that indicates the timeline is this. Remember that Hollywood Reporter broke the news a month ago. The author's "few weeks" could be anything from 9 weeks to 2 weeks... so if we ballpark it as another month, that means anything MacLaren didn't say in this article is about two months old.

In the world of screenplay writing, two months can be an eternity.

Consider this: Suicide Squad begins filming in April in Toronto. Four months from now.

Edit: Instructive example of how sites will attempt to ascribe more than what was stated... the case of Gunn, Guardians, and the Avengers.

Penguin

Davis told me she’s still working it out and has not begun reading comic books for research yet. “Not yet,” Davis said. “I have not started reading them yet. I’ve read up about her but I’m working out my schedule for Suicide Squad.”

However, she clearly loves the character and said she can’t wait to delve in. “I’m fascinated by her. I’m fascinated by her in this world of superhero-ness because she is not a woman that you would expect. I think that she is a massive contradiction. She’s this big powerful black woman, hard, ready to pick up a gun and shoot anyone at will. I’m fascinated in exploring her psychology, just put it that way. And I’m excited to pick up a gun.”

- See more at: http://www.nerdreport.com/2015/01/0...da-waller-suicide-squad/#sthash.a3JyeGM8.dpuf

Need a bump-o

Davis talks preparation for Waller

Odoul

I'm still kind of blown away DC didn't put a less labor intensive hero out for 2015.

Green Arrow could have probably been fun, but then the show still airing is a problem.

There was talk of a Lobo movie years ago. Now it would have been stupid to put that out when they've barely scratched the surface of their stable. But if they come back to it years later...

19793228.jpg

Him and Carl Jones could do some shit with that character.

Just don't use that awful teenage girl on Earth outline.

Penguin

I'm still kind of blown away DC didn't put a less labor intensive hero out for 2015.

Green Arrow could have probably been fun, but then the show still airing is a problem.

There was talk of a Lobo movie years ago. Now it would have been stupid to put that out when they've barely scratched the surface of their stable. But if they come back to it years later...

Him and Carl Jones could do some shit with that character.

Just don't use that awful teenage girl on Earth outline.

I think it was better to have things in order, instead of trying to rush a movie out just to have one.

And we still get the animated stuff.

ReiGun

In other news: Orlando Jones interested in playing Black Lighting.

Makes me wonder if the DCMU will get a Justice League with vast membership like Justice League Unlimited. I think it would be a cool way to introduce minor heroes like Black Lightning, Booster Gold, Plastic Man, The Atom, ETC. Then again, if they are really are trying to make this universe last, it would be obviously better to introduce them in their own movies.

I still want to see a mini series about Black Lightning. A single black man who works as an inner city school principal trying to raise two girls? I'm here for all of that.

Kouichi

Viola Davis Nearing Multi-Picture Deal to Play Amanda Waller in ‘Suicide Squad,’ Other DC Comics Movies

Two-time Oscar nominee Viola Davis is nearing a multi-picture deal to play Amanda Waller in Warner Bros.’ DC Comics Universe, starting with a key supporting role in David Ayer’s “Suicide Squad,” multiple individuals familiar with the project have told TheWrap, which reported on Dec. 2 that the actress was being considered for the coveted role.

Sources cautioned that Davis’ schedule is tricky to navigate due to her commitment to the ABC TV series “How to Get Away With Murder,” but insiders tell TheWrap that the deal is expected to close in the coming weeks. They also say that Smith has personally lobbied for Warner Bros. to do whatever it takes to cast Davis, who earned Oscar nominations for “The Help” and “Doubt,” and is up for a Golden Globe this weekend for HTGAWM.

Loxley

I would love for Chris Pratt to join DC universe, but I guess that's not gonna happen. :(

Yeah, that ship has sailed : / He would make a great Kyle Rayner. Probably a great Wally West as well.

Actually, scratch that, Pratt would have been a perfect Booster Gold.

Any opinions on Throne of Atlantis?

War was panned a bit but I enjoyed it. So basically what I'm asking, is it better than Batman & Son?

Penguin

Only like 40 minutes in, but liking a ton more than War

I think because they take time to really set the stage with the plot. Characters get to be intelligent and the likes

According to Latino Review:
Now, we’ve learned why Tom Hardy has dropped out of the project. According to sources, He simply didn’t like the script he was finally given. Like we figured, the scheduling conflict is a cover story, so he left the project under amicable terms.

This was my biggest fear concerning the project... But I take this with the greatest grain of salt because it is Latino Review after all...

As who should replace him, I wouldn't want Gyllenhaal. I just don't see him in that type of role. From what I heard about Nightcrawler, he would be a good fit but I think I'd prefer to see Ryan Gosling as the Hardy replacement... He's built for the part and the dude is due to be in a comic book movie.

strafer

lol, we will never learn the true reasons that actors leave projects. Why would they tell us.

LR are probably making it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom